TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lee_hero

WWE SmackDown - December 19, 2008

From Wrestling Edge

WWE taped this week's edition of SmackDown from the 1st Mariner Arena in Baltimore, Maryland.

* A WrestleMania XXIV video package is shown.

* The top section of the arena is tarped off.

Dark Match:

* Lawrence Knight (Stu Bennett from FCW) b. Kung Fu Naki

SmackDown: (Airing Friday)

* SmackDown starts off with the new WWE Champion Jeff Hardy being introduced. He comes out to a huge pop with a spectacular pyro and confetti. He talks about finally being champion. Edge comes out to interrupt. He tells Jeff it takes more than just a day or two to be a true champion and that he stole the title from him. Edge then says Vickie has announced two matches for tonight: Matt Hardy vs. Edge and Jeff Hardy vs. Vladimir Kozlov.

Jeff then asks Edge if he's done and hits twist of fate.

* Hurricane Helms & R-Truth b. Shelton Benjamin & MVP

- Helms get the win via pinfall on Shelton.

* John Morrison b. Festus

- Morrison gets the win the moonlight drive after The Miz hit Jesse with the bell making Festus comatose again.

* Matt Hardy cuts a promo before his match with Edge. He's receiving a huge pop from the live audience.

* Edge b. Matt Hardy

- Hardy comes out to a huge pop while Edge comes out to big heat. Edge gets the clean win after hitting Hardy with a spear.

* Ezekiel Jackson b. Carlito

- Ezekiel gets the win via pinfall. Both The Brian Kendrick and Primo Colon are at ringside during the match.

* Maryse b. Maria

- The winner will get a future match for the Divas Championship. Michelle McCool is at ringside. Maria slaps Maryse to start the match. Maryse gets the win via pinfall after hitting a DDT. She taunts Michelle who is sitting with Jim Ross and Tazz.

* Ken Kennedy promo with MVP promoting his Behind Enemy Lines DVD movie.

* The Great Khali is interviewed. Rajin Singh says Mae Young is Khali's soul mate.

* The main event is up next. Vladimiz Kozlov comes out to big heat while Jeff Hardy comes out to another huge pop.

* WWE Champion Jeff Hardy b. Vladimir Kozlov

- Hardy gets the win after Edge interferes. Kozlov and Edge double team Hardy until Triple H comes to the rescue. Kozlov runs away when Hunter gets his the sledge hammer. This concludes SmackDown.

* The Great Khali is interviewed. Rajin Singh says Mae Young is Khali's soul mate

Oh God no! Mae is gonna have the other hand isn't she?

Morrison works three matches in two nights - Miz and Morrison can work all three brands and not seem over-exposed.

I hope we get a Kizarny vignette this week. Hopefully they're tweaking the gimmick and the kid will still get to debut and that they've not decided to kill it already.

Wwe has soured on R-Truth, they feel he has some flashy moves, but he's missing/struggles with the basics.

R-Truth could easily get over if they would do something more with him besides having him say "Wassup?" constantly. Let the guy cut an actual promo.

I won't lie....when I first read those two main events I thought it would be a clean sweep of the Hardys jobbing to Edge and Kozlov. The spoilers were a little confusing though. Did Jeff actually pin Kozlov and then the chaos started, or was it a DQ after Edge ran in?

They might as well give Kozlov the yearly lame duck Rumble title shot.

R-Truth could easily get over if they would do something more with him besides having him say "Wassup?" constantly. Let the guy cut an actual promo.

R-Truth is over due to that song. He'd be more over if he was feuding with someone and the feud was actually going somewhere.

The one time MVP doesn't get pinned.

Who knows, he may actually win a match by the end of the year.......

Probably not

Wow, Maria actually beat McCool a few weeks ago, and never got shit for it. Now Maryse gets to put on another classic with McCool at the Rumble(?). Can't even let Jeff Hardy get a clean win his first night as Champion? Honestly, what does Kozlov bring to the table? Sometimes this company makes my head hurt.

I would advise not doing any angles with Mae Young anymore. She'll be 86 next March and is prone to bite it at any moment.

I hope we get a Kizarny vignette this week. Hopefully they're tweaking the gimmick and the kid will still get to debut and that they've not decided to kill it already.

I hope the exact opposite. I never want to see that gimmick debut.

I find it funny that in 2009 we may be getting a Hardys vs. E&C tag match, but as a main event match/angle. I hope Christian is back at next week's Toronto taping. Maybe Gail Kim too. As it is, I read these every week for a sighting of either of them.

Was at the show. The opening segment was probably the best experience Ive ever had at a live wrestling show (Ive been to 3 Nitros, a Thunder, Starcade where Goldberg lost and 3 other Smackdown tapings). They blew off a ton of confetti and pyro that smoked up the arena for about an hour, it was just insane. Past that, everything pretty much sucked except for Hardy/Edge which was easily the match of the whole night but still depressing because they could go with the feud again but wont. HHH coming out to save Jeff and then having a staredown with him split the crowd which up until that point had been hugely pro-Jeff Hardy. I cant say that bodes to well for Jeff.

Dumb notes I remember-

ECW:

- Ricky Ortiz completely botched the springboard off the top and they had to redo the spot (which ended with him getting kicked). He was a good 4 feet away on the botch.

SD

- The Miz farted on Festus as he was laying on the mat and Morrison rode him like a surfboard. And the Miz didn't hit Jesse with the bell, Jesse went to hit The Miz on the outside and the Miz ducked and he rammed the bell and his hand into the ringpost which rang the bell.

-In the Tag Match, Shelton tagged himself in at one point and MVP got upset and then later on he refused to tag in when Shelton needed it.

- The Maryse/Maria match was really horrible...

- Zeke/Carlito was pretty bad as well.

- Jeff/Kozlov was short and Kozlov was pretty much dominating the match up until Jeff hit a couple moves off the top and then Edge ran in. I have no idea what the official decision was, I didnt hear it but Edge did attack Jeff so Id assume Kozlov was DQ'ed.

- Taker/Big Show was the dark match inside a cage which caught a lot of people off guard as they left before anything was said about it (Lots of people were upset because it was the announced "Main Event" and it didn't look like it was going to happen). At one point Big Show actually tried to climb the cage but no one bought it for a second because it was just the quick set up cage and no way it would have held him. Taker won with his Hells Gate after the ref counted a pinfall on Big Show but then reversed his decision even though Taker's music hit and everything.

Ive got a few pictures:

jeffposebeltaq5.jpg

Post ME. I couldnt get a decent photo during the opening celebration for all of the pyro smoke.

hhhjeffstarekz2.jpg

HHH/Jeff Hardy staredown with poor Edge crumpled up in a heap after taking a Pedigree.

I just watched 2 promos with Kizarny on youtube that aired on SMACKDOWN! This looks like a horrible gimmick with stupid talking.

I just watched 2 promos with Kizarny on youtube that aired on SMACKDOWN! This looks like a horrible gimmick with stupid talking.

I don't even know what the gimmick is. So he's part of the carnival and hangs out with the sideshow freaks and speaks weird. Okay I got that, but how does that exactly build him to being a wrestler?

The Nashville music scene isn't giving him the time of day, so he's going to use the World Wrestling Federation as a stepping stone to country music superstardom.

The Nashville music scene isn't giving him the time of day, so he's going to use the World Wrestling Federation as a stepping stone to country music superstardom.

This is why I think you should do well in the POTY tournament. Hopefully we get a good voter turnout from the board members that still frequent here.

I don't even know what the gimmick is. So he's part of the carnival and hangs out with the sideshow freaks and speaks weird. Okay I got that, but how does that exactly build him to being a wrestler?

Aren't you a ref? And you don't get this gimmick?

He's not talking funny, he's talking carny. As in, how wrestlers used to talk when marks were around.

Pretty bad that on a board filled with smarks, people still don't get this gimmick. Really makes me wonder why they bothered trying to run a gimmick about 5% of the audience would understand.

HHH coming out to save Jeff and then having a staredown with him split the crowd which up until that point had been hugely pro-Jeff Hardy. I cant say that bodes to well for Jeff.

I wouldn't read into that too much...like it or not, HHH is one of the company's biggest stars, so of course some people are going to cheer for him. The fact that the crowd was split 50/50 still says something about Jeff, because if he wasn't at main event level they'd boo him or cheer HHH over him.