TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Czech please!

Nineties Runoff

Here we can write justifications for songs that aren't in the tournament, or further discuss ones that are, so that we don't make it harder for Kinetic to tabulate votes by having to read through diversions.

Dance music kinda got a raw deal, if you ask me. I'll admit that as memorable as a lot of songs were, there were still a few songs I forgot over the years. I had forgotten fall fabout Fun Factory, for fexample, so when I looked them up on youtube to see which songs they did, and I clicked on this one, my face lit up like a Christmas tree:

As mentioned elsewhere, I think that Coolio may have gotten the shaft a little. "Gangsta's Paradise" was big enough to inspire a Weird Al interpretation, but not big enough to make the TSM tournament? Doesn't seem right somehow. And I have a Stetson cowboy hat-sized soft spot in my soul for "Friends in Low Places." That could have been the one concession to country music in the tournament.

I thought Nine Inch Nails should have had a song in there somewhere. I like Hurt a lot more than, say, Black Hole Sun.

We might want to have a 'Best Music Video of the 90s' poll after. Something like Sabotage is an ok song but has a fantastic video...based on the song alone, it doesn't really belong with the rest in that thread.

"Friends In Low Places" has been a part of many of drunken singalongs I've participated in.

Speaking of dance music being snubbed, "C'Mon 'n' Ride It (The Train)" by Quad City DJs was the highlight of many middle school dances.

The only video I could find was one of people dancing to it on some low rent Soul Train knockoff. I didn't know low rent Soul Train knockoffs were still around in 1996. Highlight obviously is the lame white guy breaking it down.

You could definitely make a case for a Nine Inch Nails song (probably "Closer") although there were already some criticisms that the tourney was too heavy on the alt-rock. Probably could have gotten some Metallica in there. Shania Twain's "That Don't Impress Me Much."

I think leaving popular country music out of the tourney was a wise decision given the tastes of the board at large. Neither of the two songs mentioned would have a shot.

Let's build a bridge: "Cotton Eye Joe" by Rednex.

"The Sign" would have been a worthy nominee but it's always been my opinion that "All That She Wants" is the superior Ace of Base song. The less heralded "It's A Beautiful Life" may have been my favorite overall.

"The Sign" and Live's "Lightning Crashes" were the two songs from the list of 128 that I inadvertantly left out when putting the bracket together. As it turned out, that oversight led to the dramatic emergence of that Meat Loaf song in the 2nd round. So it worked out in the end.

"The Sign" would have been a worthy nominee but it's always been my opinion that "All That She Wants" is the superior Ace of Base song. The less heralded "It's A Beautiful Life" may have been my favorite overall.

Oh, I agree with this. It reminds me of "It's A Sin" by the Pet Shop Boys, one of my definite picks in the eventual 80s tournament.

P.S. One time I looked for the "Beautiful Life" video on YouTube and found the song set to clips of Hitler.

Somewhat related not so fun fact; one of the male members of Ace of Base was a member of a white power group as a teenager.

Edit: Kreese ain't lying. What an odd song choice.

Leaving "Lightning Crashes" off the list was perfectly fine.

superior Shania song

No such thing. Though I agree that omitting country was a smart move, Shania Twain got enough mainstream airplay that none of her big singles would be considered "country" for the purposes of this. Any twang she had was sufficiently Mutt Langed out anyway, if you ask me.

And I have a Stetson cowboy hat-sized soft spot in my soul for "Friends in Low Places." That could have been the one concession to country music in the tournament.

There could have been a few country selections, but "Friends" is still a classic, especially the live version with the 3rd verse. I would have liked to have seen Save Ferris' cover of "Come on Eileen" on the board or a couple cuts from Social Distortion's self-titled.

I'm disappointed Depeche Mode and didn't make the list.

What's everyone's opinion of Duran Duran?

I always thought they had their moments but they're a singles band, with a few exceptions ("New Religion" and "The Chauffeur" are their best songs, especially the latter. That's more of an 80's music discussion though.)

I was on vacation when "Ordinary World" was a hit in 1993, so it evokes all sorts of pleasant memories for me. I especially remember hearing it on a juke box while eating dinner at Pizza Hut. Ah, youth.

No worth in hating Duran Duran really, but it drives me insane that they keep getting 'Lifetime Acheivement' awards and suchlike despite all their decent singles being 20 years old.

i always liked "come undone" a lot more than "ordinary world." it sounded liquid and mysterious, with the chick singing something i couldn't understand.

unrelated:

this is the only clip i could find that wasn't remixed or edited. nobody i know even remembers "sweet potato pie." it got maybe 3 weeks of airplay and then disappeared. that's probably part of why i love it so much, because it can't help but be tied to a really specific time. it's also really really dirty.