TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

Hurricane Katrina

Unless it's all for personal use, I don't see a point in looting stuff like clothing and electronics. I can't imagine there'd be much of a market for that sort of stuff in that area right now.

Plus, it's gotta be really hard lugging all that stuff around in knee to waist deep water with the temperature in the mid-90s. Food and water I can understand, but stereos and flat screen TVs?

Just watching this looting and insanity on CNN... it's just truly unbelieveable. it's really hitting me now that we are witnessing something that will be talked for the longest of times to come. It's mob rule. Some are just going for essentials like clothes, food, etc. Others are going for guns, electronics and anything else they can find that ain't chained down. I just don't know what to say.....

New Orleans Is Sinking

Really interesting article that pretty much predicts this. The article date is somewhat eerie too.

As it stands, is the city really worth rebuidling? I mean, with the city legitimately sinking and some experts calling for it to be the next Atlantis within 50-100 years should they rebuild it for the time being? Furthermore, even if you don't abide by that theory, studies show that hurricanes of Category 4 or stronger make landfall within 100 miles of New Orleans about once every 35 years, so with that being the case it almost seems pointless to try and rebuild.

The bigger question though is, how long do you think it will take CBS to pump this out as a movie of the week?

The devastation is insane, and Bush already said the rebuilding and recovery of New Orleans and all the other areas could take years. I believe him. ALL the buildings have to be reinspected for stability, the water has to be completely pumped out, the cleanliness has to be to done since dead bodies have been floating about. Power has to be restored, and generators have to be rebuilt, and Biloxi, at this point, DOESN'T EVEN EXIST. Hell, there goes a HUGE CHUNK of the season for the Saints.

The economic effects have happened. In my area, gas has jumped 20 cents, and is near that 3 dollar mark! I feel really sorry for the people that need to fill up on gas. They better start using public transportation.

This has been completely beyond the scope of imagination. Just insanity. This is the kind of thing you never think you are ever going to see, and when you do finally see it ... just wow.

Just imagine being addicted to ANYTHING and not being able to get it because you are trapped on your roof or just in your house and surrounded by water.

As far as the mob rule thing goes... yeah, I'd take what I needed to live -- but the gun play and shit is just over the line. What do you get if you shoot someone? They are in the same shit as you...they are just as panicked, just as anxious, just as out of their mind as you.

And apparently some gangs are shooting at rescue workers.. smart boys, they are.

They don't bury the dead in New Orleans. The highest point in the city is only 6 ft. above sea level, which makes for watery graves. Fearful that rotting corpses caused epidemics, the city limited ground burials in 1830. Mausoleums built on soggy cemetery grounds became the final resting place for generations. Beyond providing a macabre tourist attraction, these "cities of the dead" serve as a reminder of the Big Easy's vulnerability to flooding.

Does that mean there's going to be a bunch of old ass coffins and skeletons floating around?

New Orleans Is Sinking

Really interesting article that pretty much predicts this.  The article date is somewhat eerie too.

As it stands, is the city really worth rebuidling?  I mean, with the city legitimately sinking and some experts calling for it to be the next Atlantis within 50-100 years should they rebuild it for the time being?  Furthermore, even if you don't abide by that theory, studies show that hurricanes of Category 4 or stronger make landfall within 100 miles of New Orleans about once every 35 years, so with that being the case it almost seems pointless to try and rebuild.

The bigger question though is, how long do you think it will take CBS to pump this out as a movie of the week?

CBS has Category 7: The End of the World (sequel to last years Category 6: Day of Destruction) scheduled to air this November.

My guess is, to save money they'll rebuild the city right where it is, but they'll upgrade the levees and stuff so that they don't fail the next time.

I dont think theres any feasbile way they could raise the level of the city like some people are saying they should do..and not rebuilding New Orleans would seem highly unAmerican (just like they are rebuilding at the site where the WTC stood).

Oh, and just every person from NOLA I've heard asked the Question "Are you planning on rebuilding or are you going to move?" has been answering "rebuild".

Most of the people that stayed into the metropolitan area of New Orleans are too poor/stupid/crazy/ignorant to be portrayed as rational human beings.

I mean, if you didn't have enough money to leave the city during a CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE, why would you be choosy when you're looting? Man, in their situation, I'd try to steal anything worth a shit that I could find and attempt to flee the city when given the opportunity to. I'd build a new life from there.

I don't get it. Weren't they enough public transportation to get everyone out of there? Or were those means basically used up? I could imagine every public transport from neighboring cities and states getting people the hell out of the way that disaster.

Predictable response from the religious wackjobs.

However, it was also very predictable of Daily Kos, earlier on in the day, to talk about how none of this tragedy would have been happening if not for the Iraq War.

Both groups can rot in the lowest parts of hell for all I care.

And apparently some gangs are shooting at rescue workers.. smart boys, they are.

I heard this morning that some of them shot at a military helicopter.

I'm sorry, but if you're stupid enough to do that - I got no problem with the cops or the military shooting your ass. If they're trying to rescue innocent individuals, and you're taking pot shots at them, they should fucking take your ass out.

Honestly, if this shit continues, martial law is going to get declared.

Martial law was declared on Tuesday. There just aren't enough National Guardsmen there yet to keep shit like this from happening.

They may need to send the Marines in there to keep things under control at this rate.

They don't bury the dead in New Orleans. The highest point in the city is only 6 ft. above sea level, which makes for watery graves. Fearful that rotting corpses caused epidemics, the city limited ground burials in 1830. Mausoleums built on soggy cemetery grounds became the final resting place for generations. Beyond providing a macabre tourist attraction, these "cities of the dead" serve as a reminder of the Big Easy's vulnerability to flooding.

Does that mean there's going to be a bunch of old ass coffins and skeletons floating around?

Most likely.

Also, on the looting. What's the point? Your city is destroyed. You have no power. What the FUCK are you going to do with that stereo? Food I can understand, maybe even clothes. But electronics? I saw a shot of some guy carrying a boombox out of a store the other day on CNN.. wtf?

This is unbelievable. Time to get snipers on the helicopters and take out anybody with a gun.

6:15 A.M. - (AP) Managers at the Covenant Home nursing center were prepared to cope with power outages and supply shortages following Hurricane Katrina. They weren't ready for looters. The nursing home lost its bus after the driver surrendered it to carjackers. Groups of people then drove by the center, shouting to residents, "Get out!"

On Wednesday, 80 residents, most of them in wheelchairs, were evacuated to other nursing homes in the state.

"We had excellent plans. We had enough food for 10 days," said Peggy Hoffman, the home's executive director. "Now we'll have to equip our department heads with guns and teach them how to shoot."

Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS – The evacuation of the Superdome was suspended Thursday after shots were reported fired at a military helicopter and arson fires broke out outside the arena. No immediate injuries were reported.

The scene at the Superdome became increasingly chaotic, with thousands of people rushing from nearby hotels and other buildings, hoping to climb onto the buses taking evacuees from the arena, officials said. Paramedics became increasingly alarmed by the sight of people with guns.

Richard Zeuschlag, chief of the ambulance service that was handling the evacuation of sick and injured people from the Superdome, said it was suspending operations "until they gain control of the Superdome."

He said shots were fired at a military helicopter over the Superdome before daybreak.

He said the National Guard told him that it was sending 100 military police officers to restore order.

"That's not enough," Zeuschlag said. "We need a thousand."

Lt. Col. Pete Schneider of the Louisiana National Guard said the military - which was handling the evacuation of the able-bodied from the Superdome - had suspended operations, too, because fires set outside the arena were preventing buses from getting close enough to pick up people.

He said tens thousands of people started rushing out of other buildings when they saw buses pulling up and hoped to get on. But the immediate focus was on evacuating people from the Superdome, and the other refugees were left to mill around.

Zeuschlag said paramedics were calling him and crying for help because they were so scared of people with guns at the Superdome. He also said that during the night, when a medical evacuation helicopter tried to land at a hospital in the outlying town of Kenner, the pilot reported 100 people were on the landing pad, some with guns.

"He was frightened and would not land," Zeuschlag.

Speaking of those floating graves. I think last night, they showed some photos of a beach in New Orleans or Mississippi. There were overturned coffins lying on the beach. My guess the cemetaries grounds have broken up, and the coffins washed up onto the beach. Sad sight to see...

Gas prices SHOT UP big time. I JUST finished seeing a preview of a report, and I saw a gas station with 6.05 a gallon....6 dollars? Heh, I feel sorry for drivers across the U.S.

I was lucky enough to find a 2.69 gas station. I loaded up on that shit.

Some of these images are pretty hard to watch. It's tough to see these people standing around screaming at the cameras "Where's our damn bus? We've been here for 3 days. No food...etc...."

Slowly, everyone is getting angrier and angrier...

Guest Fishyswa

If Florida is the country's penis, New Orleans is clearly the country's anus.

How you can do that to your state after such a disaster is beyond me. It's just disgusting.

Everyone, calm down, everything will be ok now. It just hit the news that Britney Spears has prayed for the hurricane victims!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050901/ap_en_mu/britney_spears

Well I guess we can all breath a sigh of relief and get back to our normal duties in life...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

For those wondering why people are jacking large electronics, the answer is easy. Power will be restored EVENTUALLY, or else they can just leave and sell it. Besides, if everyone down there was packing, there'd be a lot less looting.

I can't say too much, I'd be raiding stores too if I were starving and knew none of the cameras were working.