TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

2005-06 MLB Offseason Thread

Isn't Millwood the same player who has pitched one year deals the past several because he couldn't get a long term deal????

Now you know why. He's basically became a gunslinger. Come in for one year, fire off your shots and then ride out of town for the next bounty.

With Bradley going to the a's, the Kotsay to NY trade rumors have started up again. Don't be an ass Beane, take Henn and Proctor and we'll take Kotsay. Last time we tried this, I think he asked for Duncan, Hughes and Wang.

That's an assrape. Sean Henn was terrible.

With Bradley going to the a's, the Kotsay to NY trade rumors have started up again. Don't be an ass Beane, take Henn and Proctor and we'll take Kotsay. Last time we tried this, I think he asked for Duncan, Hughes and Wang.

Kotsay has a no trade clause for 2006 as part of contract extension he signed this past season. Jay Payton could be on the block though.

'CSN reports that the LA Times rumor is David Bell to Dodgers for Duaner Sanchez and prospects and reconfirms the Looper rumors. Also rumors that the Pirates are interested in Bell."

If this happens, I may need to make a "Gillick Is My Homeboy" shirt.

Not gonna happen, but I would pity you if the Phillies got Duaner Sanchez. Actually, I'd throw a party.

'CSN reports that the LA Times rumor is David Bell to Dodgers for Duaner Sanchez and prospects and reconfirms the Looper rumors. Also rumors that the Pirates are interested in Bell."

If this happens, I may need to make a "Gillick Is My Homeboy" shirt.

Not gonna happen, but I would pity you if the Phillies got Duaner Sanchez. Actually, I'd throw a party.

I'd have to pity you for taking David Bell...

I can live with one season of him when we are already going to be bad. Sanchez in Philadelphia? Ouch. Plan on lots of HR's whenever he's out there.

Looking at Sanchez's splits, he is strange. He is more homer prone at home (over the last two years: 11 HR in 78 IP at home, 6 in 84 IP one the road), odd considering the park. And his K rate takes a nose dive on the road.

King, I'm assuming you see a bunch of their games, does he seem to pitch differently whether home/road (control, challenging hitters) or is it more of a fluke?

That said, getting anything back for Bell is gravy and they have picked up enough bullpen arms this offseason that they can bury Sanchez if he stuggles.

Edited by the pinjockey

His control is very, very bad and he thinks that he's good enough to challenge guys when he's not. The thing about more HR's at home, that's an odd fluke. He wasn't so bad in 04, but this year for him seemed to be a big confidence killer once he got the closing job, then pitched his way out of it. He's not good under pressure.

His control is very, very bad and he thinks that he's good enough to challenge guys when he's not. The thing about more HR's at home, that's an odd fluke. He wasn't so bad in 04, but this year for him seemed to be a big confidence killer once he got the closing job, then pitched his way out of it. He's not good under pressure.

For David Bell, I'll take it. As for pitching his way out of the closer's job, he didn't. Sanchez had a run where he was scored upon once in sixteen appearances. All four of Sanchez's blown saves came when he was a middle reliever. Once Sanchez garnered the job, he was eight for eight in save opportunities.

Looking at Sanchez's splits, he is strange. He is more homer prone at home (over the last two years: 11 HR in 78 IP at home, 6 in 84 IP one the road), odd considering the park.

Even though Dodger Stadium plays as a low run environment, Szymborski's weighted park factors for 2003-2005 show Dodger Stadium actually inducing more home runs than average (HR WPF of 1.12).

In addition to that, the odd split may be part of a change of pitching strategy - look at these rates:

Year K/9 G/F

============

2004 4.95 1.72

2005 7.79 1.22

Granted, this is a one year shift and Sanchez could regress back to the mean on both rates, but it's such a stark change that it's worth considering. Perhaps he shifted gears in 2005, attacking the strike zone more aggressively and straying away from inducing ground balls; such a change might benefit him in more HR-neutral parks (where his mistakes in the strike zone might sail for warning track flies) but kill him in Dodger Stadium (where said mistakes are more likely to be home runs, according to weighted park factors).

Edited by The Man in Blak

Javy Vasquez to the White Sox for El Duque, Vizcaino and OF projected mega stud Chris Young.

Look out for the D-Backs? They certainly have a huge depth of position players in their farm system. Not just ok guys who might make it, but total "can't miss" studs like Stephen Drew, and potentially Justin Upton (he just needs to sign).

They could be great in a few years.

Chris Young could have an immediate impact if they choose to promote him, as he could let them move Shawn Green out of centerfield. Some project him to be the best talent out of Chicago's stable of outfielders, so this could be a decent haul for the Diamondbacks, and that's not even counting contributions from El Duque or Luis Vizcaino.

I don't like this trade from the White Sox perspective. Vazquez has always had good stuff, but he got killed in his last stint in the AL and he's historically been prone to giving up the home run, which doesn't bode well for home starts in the Cell. The White Sox worked a miracle with Contreras and his proclivity towards coughing up the long ball, but lightning may not strike twice here. I'm not even counting the financial half of this deal, which could be real sour for Chicago if Arizona isn't picking up a good portion of Jome Run Javy's $12 million tab.

Even though Dodger Stadium plays as a low run environment, Szymborski's weighted park factors for 2003-2005 show Dodger Stadium actually inducing more home runs than average (HR WPF of 1.12).

Yeah, I noticed my error looking through this morning. I was looking through for the HR factors and looked at Los Angeles and took that. Fucking Moreno screwing everything up where LA isn't just LA anymore.

I am interested to see where this deal leads for the White Sox, since they now have Buehrle, Garland, Garcia, Contreras, Vazquez, and McCarthy. I can't picture them going into the season with all six. But for now I can't say I am a fan of this deal for the Sox. Echoing MIB's sentiments, Vazquez should make a run at 40HRs allowed in that park.

Do the Sox have any other CF options, besides Anderson at this point? It seems rash to hand over the job to a rookie without some type of backup plan (which I would think Young was).

Bergen Record is talking about basically a three team trade that would end up...

Rangers get Kris Benson

Mets get Manny Ramirez

Red Sox get Lance Nix, RHP Juan Dominguez, and Carlos Beltran

works well for Boston but makes little sense for both the Mets and Rangers.

Ay. I'd have reservations about a Beltran for Ramirez trade. Giving up Benson as well would not make me happy.

Giving up Benson as well would not make me happy.

You just don't want Anna Benson to leave.

If the Mets traded Beltran they could have Nady play CF. I think a fair deal for the three teams would be...

Mets get Manny Ramirez and Juan Dominguez

Red Sox get Nix and Beltran

Rangers get Kris Benson, Kaz Matsui, Abe Alvarez, and a bit of money from both the Mets and Red Sox.

Giving up Benson as well would not make me happy.

You just don't want Anna Benson to leave.

If the Mets traded Beltran they could have Nady play CF. I think a fair deal for the three teams would be...

Mets get Manny Ramirez and Juan Dominguez

Red Sox get Nix and Beltran

Rangers get Kris Benson, Kaz Matsui, Abe Alvarez, and a bit of money from both the Mets and Red Sox.

What's the point of the deal for the Rangers? Benson isn't better than Dominguez at this point, and Nix is probably better than Kaz Matsui.

90% of the trades I've seen purposed or go through lately haven't made a lick of sense to me. They aren't horrible, they just leave me wondering what exactly is the point other than cost cutting.

This deal just leaves me stratching my head and going, "huh?"

For David Bell, I'll take it. As for pitching his way out of the closer's job, he didn't. Sanchez had a run where he was scored upon once in sixteen appearances. All four of Sanchez's blown saves came when he was a middle reliever. Once Sanchez garnered the job, he was eight for eight in save opportunities.

Bad memory on my part.

What's the point of the deal for the Rangers? Benson isn't better than Dominguez at this point, and Nix is probably better than Kaz Matsui.

Dominguez is a reliever and Nix doesn't play second base. Kaz would likely do pretty well in Arlington, especially in an order where he'd be hitting after Michael Young and before Mark Texiera. If the Mets and Red Sox kicked in a bit of cash towards the Rangers as well they'd probably think about it. Perhaps a combined $5mill to Texas? That or they could try to work Phil Nevin into the deal somehow to free up a bit of cash.

Dominguez is a reliever and Nix doesn't play second base. Kaz would likely do pretty well in Arlington, especially in an order where he'd be hitting after Michael Young and before Mark Texiera. If the Mets and Red Sox kicked in a bit of cash towards the Rangers as well they'd probably think about it. Perhaps a combined $5mill to Texas? That or they could try to work Phil Nevin into the deal somehow to free up a bit of cash.

Dominguez is a starter. He made ten starts last year after spending time in the bullpen coming back from arm injury. Nix doesn't play second, but Kaz doesn't play center field. Moving Nix would open up another hole in the lineup. Ian Kinsler hit 23 home runs in AAA last season and that was an off year. He's ready to step up to the big club and play second. It just seems like shuffling cards at best, and I don't think the Rangers should let good young players go.

I agree with Al on Benson, but I'm not as sold on Laynce Nix. He doesn't seem to have any semblance of plate discipline and his development seems to have stunted elsewhere, possibly due to the Rangers ying-yanging him between the majors and minors the last three years. He might be a good defender, but I'm a little concerned that he's not going to progress in any other facets of his game.