TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 73

UFC Middleweight Championship

Anderson Silva (184.5) vs Nate Marquardt (182.5)

UFC Lightweight Championship

Sean Sherk (154.5) vs Hermes Franca (154.5)

Rashad Evans (204) vs Tito Ortiz (205.5)

Heath Herring (259) vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (240.5)

Alvin Robinson (156) vs Kenny Florian (155.5)

Mike Nickels (205.5) vs Stephan Bonnar (204.5)

Diego Saraiva (155) vs Jorge Gurgel (155.5)

Chris Lytle (169.5) vs Jason Gilliam (171)

Mark Bocek (154.5) vs Frank Edgar (154.5)

Nate is either trying to recapture the glory of his Pancrase days, or is off the sauce.

I can't believe you're implying that he was ever ON the sauce. Everyone knows that only pro wrestlers get juiced up. [/sarcasm]

Holy fuck, Rashad barking at Tito at the press conference was gold. Normally a fighter barking at another would be lame as hell but this was a really, really good bark. More like a snarl or growl but it sounded awesome.

I hope Rashad houses Tito tonight. Not a boring early Rashad lay and pray decision win, but a recent Rashad ground and pound slaughtering like over Lambert or a straight up murder blow like on Salmon.

Just for the shockwaves, and also because I'm really starting to like Rashad. Particularly his confidence.

I can't wait for tonight. I haven't been this jazzed for a card in a while - I was pumped for 71 but only for the Main. I am looking forward to the entire 3 hours being gold.

Weigh-in thoughts.....

- Nog looked doughy as shit. Herring looked doughier.

- Franca's physique was noticeably improved, a lot leaner likely due to him realizing that (if he makes it that far) this could be a five rounder.

- Tito was much, much bigger physically then Rashad though that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be stronger.

- Lytle's surprised reaction to people cheering him was great. Just happy to be there.

- Franca's physique was noticeably improved, a lot leaner likely due to him realizing that (if he makes it that far) this could be a five rounder.

Against Sherk? Yeah, it's probably going five, unless Franca sticks his neck out for Sherk to choke, or Sherk gives him an opening for a sub.

- Lytle's surprised reaction to people cheering him was great. Just happy to be there.

Does anyone actually hate Chris Lytle? He just seems like too nice of a guy for anyone to truly hate, you know?

They're really fucking with the order here.

What happened to Ken Flo? We better get Bocek vs. Edgar but I'm sensing 5 rounds out of this one.

So yeah... as much as we all like to drool over Griffin, Edgar, Guida, etc... Sherk will murder them all.

Friggin' clinic there. He got hit with 4 shots that would have stopped ALOT of 155 pounders and just practically shrugged them off.

Take down, instapass...transitions at will... just an unreal showing.

Those guys have the wrestling to fuck with him though, and his standup defense didn't look so hot. His cardio is out of this world.

Hermes provided all the excitement in that fight. I feel bad, he even dyed his hair colour to match the title.

I agree with that decision but I also think if Rashad actually f'n brought it before the end of the 3rd he would have won handily.

And good thing Tito is going to "take his leer jet" to Vegas to party.

And now we throw it to our Octagon-side correspondent Nathan Diaz to explain to us how Tito is an emotional fighter...

- Christ, I'm gonna slap Yves Lavigne next time I'm at a TKO show. Awful, awful reffing when Nog was not only clearly out of it on the ground but done on his feet too. Nog's corner also needs to take some blame here, that was as much of a "Throw in the towel, he's fucked" situation as you could get. The third idiot in this equation is, of course, Heath Herring. Selfishly wants to repeat the same KO so he gestures Nog up when it was obvious to everybody that he could've ended the fight on the ground. Clearly the only way Nog can actually die is if somebody punches his chest so much his heart stops. Fedor's gotta be pissed seeing what he dished out to Nog and Heath F'n Herring is the one who almost ends it all.

- I'm on the fence with Sherk/Franca. It wasn't a bad fight by any means and Sherk showed what his strengths are but there's a bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing. Maybe it was because Sherk took zero risks. Maybe it was because his punches are about as effective as if they were being thrown by his newborn baby. Maybe because you could've watched the first round and said "Lather, rinse, repeat" for the following four. At this point though I'm not even sure BJ could deal with his work ethic and strength and he was being tossed around as the only dude who could present a challenge to Sherk.

- Pummel. Clinch. Bodylock. Pummel again. TAKEDOWN. DRAW. Whateverthefuckever. Tito actually managed the rare feat of looking like the bigger pussy even though it was obvious to anybody watching that Rashad was the one who was shit-scared to engage.

- Seeing Silva whoop Nate's ass was great, him using wrestling to do it was even better. Franklin's gonna get massacred in front of his hometown crowd and I can't say I won't enjoy it.

- Florian looked great. Lovely throws and vicious ground and pound. Yeah, he got his ass handed to him by Sherk but he said what everybody was thinking and I respect him for it.

I really, really hope UFC catches a lot of shit for the piss-poor setup of this show and the huge amount of time wasted on video packages.

If Reshad Evans did more than the TUF silly dance around like a fool the whole 3 rounds he would of won the fight. It was kind of like the Josh Koshchek strategy of doing shit like walk in circles forever than try to steal the round in the final 30 seconds with a takedown. BORING. If they have a rematch it deserves to be TUF6 finale not on PPV.

Maybe its time to institute the Pride yellow and red card rule.

So yeah, it is the morning after the show(well actually afternoon after) and I had a blast.

Some notes:

- Kenny Florian's match was last(after the Main Event) I am not sure how it come off on the PPV though.

- These huge screens the are hung up in the rafters to let the crowd watch what is going on in the octagon, caused 4 sections to be shut down, all of which were $50 and $150 seats. That kind of sucks, because most people can't afford the $250 and up seats, and this would have allowed at least 1000(probably more) more people attend the show

- I got my picture taken with the Tapout guys(well two of them, Mask didn't come off the bus, he just came to the front and said hi)

- We saw Liddell and Dana White pull up to the arena just as they were letting the crowds in.

- The crowd was probably 50/50 on Tito/Rashad. There dueling "Tito Tito" and "Tito sucks" chants

- Like typical american crowds, if they weren't familiar with the fighters, they always cheered the american

- I was shocked at the ovation Nog got, and kind of shocked he survived after that kick. It looked like Herring failed to capitalize because the kick was more reactionary.

- For dark matches, the fighers came out of the same entrance, but for the PPV they came out from opposite directions.

- I am not sure why in the hell 'Shad did not engage the entire time. If watching tape of Tito shows anything, he hates to be pressured. 'Shad basically was fighting Tito's fight, and managed to get a draw because he decided to press Tito with a minute or so to go after a mostly uneventful 3rd round.

- Sherk vs. Penn & Cro-Cop vs. Nog announced (if Cro-Cop wins his next fight) in November

If you have any questions let me know.............oh yeah, $9.25 for a 24oz Mickeys...you know the ones that cost like $1.25 at the store....LOL.

I heard some guy plummeted to his death at the show. You know anything about this?

In the arena? Umm...not that I am aware of. I mean you'd think if that happened there would have been a stoppage or delay or massive amounts of EMT swarming.....are you joking?

They announced Penn vs. Sherk and Nog vs. Cro-Cop?

Fuck yes to both...especially the first. I'd LOVE to see what BJ can do against Sherk. My best guess would be to win the first two rounds and then gas and lose the last three. I'd love to be wrong, though.

No you're pretty much on the head. BJ might stuff Sherk's takedowns like he did to Hughes in their second fight but the pace Sherk pushes would tire BJ the fuck out. Sherk's body type also makes it hard to pull of a submission. Oddly enough I'd be rooting for BJ in that fight simply because I think he'd make a better champion but I don't see him taking the fight.

Note to the NoCal crew: All you fuckers better save your money for the next time UFC comes to town.....seeing UFC live is the fucking shit, so this goes out to Ced, Dangerous A, Darrick, Zach, Garrett...and anyone else that comes to my house for the MMA PPVs.....save your goddamn money for a ticket next time.....I had so much fun that it almost made me weep that I missed UFC last time it was here (when George St. Pierre beat Matt Hughes)