TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 73

If you have any questions let me know.............oh yeah, $9.25 for a 24oz Mickeys...you know the ones that cost like $1.25 at the store....LOL.

9.25 for a pint (+4oz) of malt liquor? Does the UFC get a share of the gross or something?

Note to the NoCal crew: All you fuckers better save your money for the next time UFC comes to town.....seeing UFC live is the fucking shit, so this goes out to Ced, Dangerous A, Darrick, Zach, Garrett...and anyone else that comes to my house for the MMA PPVs.....save your goddamn money for a ticket next time.....I had so much fun that it almost made me weep that I missed UFC last time it was here (when George St. Pierre beat Matt Hughes)

I got a better idea... all you fuckers can go spend an extra bit of cash and come down to Anaheim and visit my sorry ass for UFC 76 at Honda Center.

EDIT: Link to the death

Note to the NoCal crew: All you fuckers better save your money for the next time UFC comes to town.....seeing UFC live is the fucking shit, so this goes out to Ced, Dangerous A, Darrick, Zach, Garrett...and anyone else that comes to my house for the MMA PPVs.....save your goddamn money for a ticket next time.....I had so much fun that it almost made me weep that I missed UFC last time it was here (when George St. Pierre beat Matt Hughes)

I got a better idea... all you fuckers can go spend an extra bit of cash and come down to Anaheim and visit my sorry ass for UFC 76 at Honda Center.

man thats gotta suck, God bless him and his family, the way i read the article he went from inside the arena to an outside level and fell down to the entry way outside the arena, i could be wrong though

And if they reported it correctly, it's on the far side of the arena which means that's probably why they were able to deal with it w/o the public getting wind until later. How much do you want to bet someone is going to try and sue the Maloofs (now its a frivolous case I know, but you know someone related may try)?

My guess is that he was sitting on the wall having a smoke and fell off and most likely alcohol was involved.

The full list of paydays includes:

Anderson Silva ($90,000) def. Nate Marquardt ($24,000)

Kenny Florian ($16,000) def. Alvin Robinson ($3,000)

Tito Ortiz ($210,000) vs. Rashad Evans ($16,000)

Sean Sherk ($28,000) def. Hermes Franca ($14,000)

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ($200,000) def. Heath Herring ($70,000)

Stephan Bonnar ($32,000) def. Mike Nickels ($5,000)

Jorge Gurgel ($14,000) def. Diego Saraiva ($3,000)

Chris Lytle ($20,000) def. Jason Gilliam ($3,000)

Frank Edgar ($10,000) def. Mark Bocek ($3,000)

Sherk and Silva probably can't wait for their next round of contracts. Tito probably can.

The part where the guy fell to his death...if you look at the picture from the link, that is where Dana White and Chuck Liddell walked in together(through those exact doors) after they pulled up to the arena....as they were letting the crowd in, we looked over that retaining wall and saw them, people shouted their names, and they posed a bit for a few pics.......Something scary, about a 1/3 of the way into the show, some guy in my section was dizzy-drunk and trying to walk down the stairs and he barely made it....everyone was joking "man, that guy aint making it back up the stairs" and he never did make it back up...I am not sure if that was him that died, but I am 100% certain he never came back up to his seat unless he took a different route back.

With gas prices the way they are, it might be better just to fly....plane tickets to SoCal are pretty cheap....would you be willing to pick me up/drop me off at the airport? Also...is UFC 76 offering $50 seats?

With gas prices the way they are, it might be better just to fly....plane tickets to SoCal are pretty cheap....would you be willing to pick me up/drop me off at the airport? Also...is UFC 76 offering $50 seats?

I haven't seen prices yet, but I'll let you know and could pick you up

Well the Sacramento sports radio personalities are taking our crowd to task. Can't say I don't agree with being disappointed in the Sac crowd (w/ the exception of NoCalMike who was probably one of the handful of good fans)

Well the Sacramento sports radio personalities are taking our crowd to task. Can't say I don't agree with being disappointed in the Sac crowd (w/ the exception of NoCalMike who was probably one of the handful of good fans)

I do blame the crowd somewhat, but I also attribute it to MMA being a relatively "new" sport, that is on the rise. With that, you always will get a mix of the hardcore fans that know a thing or two about the sport, and then the casual fans who think they are there to watch a more glossy version of The Toughman challenge....

Word on the UG Forums out of UFC head office in Vegas is that Dana has told the soldiers that they're not coming back to Sacramento again due to the shitty crowd reactions and only 8600 paid seats which is the lowest attendance for a UFC show in 18 months.

Word on the UG Forums out of UFC head office in Vegas is that Dana has told the soldiers that they're not coming back to Sacramento again due to the shitty crowd reactions and only 8600 paid seats which is the lowest attendance for a UFC show in 18 months.

I almost get the feeling that the UFC went there as a favour of sorts to the Maloofs. I mean, why go to Sacremento when you could probably draw better crowds further south? Especially with Tito on the card. No offence, Mike.

Plus it's not like they had any local draws on the card, whereas last time guys like Nick Diaz and James Irvin were there for the locals to cheer on. Bottom line is that it was a fairly shitty crowd and fickle to boot. They were cheering for Tito for 95% of the fight and all of a sudden with 30 seconds left in the third they switch it up and cheer Rashad. I haven't seen the Gurgel/Saraiva fight but from all accounts it was a good scrap and it got booed too. Mike is good people but fuck a Sac-Town. With a card like that any other city would've been nuclear the whole night. Hell, they were booing Silva/Nate just because they didn't get a flashy KO within the first twenty seconds. Booing Anderson Silva? Not cool.

BTW, Mark Bocek vs Frankie Edgar and Chris Lytle vs Jason Gilliam are up on DailyMotion.

Plus it's not like they had any local draws on the card, whereas last time guys like Nick Diaz and James Irvin were there for the locals to cheer on. Bottom line is that it was a fairly shitty crowd and fickle to boot. They were cheering for Tito for 95% of the fight and all of a sudden with 30 seconds left in the third they switch it up and cheer Rashad. I haven't seen the Gurgel/Saraiva fight but from all accounts it was a good scrap and it got booed too. Mike is good people but fuck a Sac-Town. With a card like that any other city would've been nuclear the whole night. Hell, they were booing Silva/Nate just because they didn't get a flashy KO within the first twenty seconds. Booing Anderson Silva? Not cool.

BTW, Mark Bocek vs Frankie Edgar and Chris Lytle vs Jason Gilliam are up on DailyMotion.

Gurgel would've been crazy over in San Francisco. I'm just saying.

Funny I heard that they're going to run shows twice a year for the next few years. Then again I won't blame them if they don't come back, but I hope that it was a fluke with the Saturday crowd.

the casual fans who think they are there to watch a more glossy version of The Toughman challenge....

They should of booked the human punching bag "Cabbage" vs Tim "The Boring Giant" Silva on the card to give the brawling marks something to get excited about. Or they could of added Chris Leben to the card so he could pose before, during, and after the fight and eat a few punchings when it mattered.

I am not sure how true that report about Sacramento is, I mean UFC was just here a few months back when George St. Pierre beat Matt Hughes, and whatever Dana White saw in Sacramento, it certainly made him come back pretty quick. Also, for fucks sake, $500+ is a lot for floor seats, just to sit on the very top of the lower section is $250. I had $150 seats and was about 2 rows back in the upper deck, which for Arco Arena, equals good seats.

Not that I am trying to gloss Sacramento or anything.

Although, I would say that this card was pretty low on "star power". I mean, personally I loved the show, but I also watch the sport more avidly then joe schmo who probably knows Tito Ortiz because he shoots his mouth off alot. The quality of fights/fighters on the card was very good, but "star power" was lacking, which doesn't bode well for a crowd full of casual fans. When Tito Ortiz came out, it was apparent he was the "star" of the show....I think a lot of people that were initially cheering for him were cheering because that happens to be the guy they knew from TV, and as the fight went on, that effect wore off......

With all that said....yeah it would suck if UFC didn't come back....I would cry, hard.

Tito Ortiz, two champions and the debut of one of the greatest heavyweight fighters of all time isn't star power?

.........Seriously?

I think he was speaking in regards to the general population/casual fan. Many of those only know Tito, Chuck, Rampage, Randy, Forrest, Hughes, & Franklin. It would be like getting NASCAR tickets and expecting to see Gordon, Jr., Stewart, etc. and finding out that it's the Busch series race where maybe 2 or 3 of those big names appear. To us, we follow the sport and so guys like Silva, Sherk, Evans, Nog, etc. as stars and consider it star power.

Tito Ortiz, two champions and the debut of one of the greatest heavyweight fighters of all time isn't star power?

.........Seriously?

I think he was speaking in regards to the general population/casual fan. Many of those only know Tito, Chuck, Rampage, Randy, Forrest, Hughes, & Franklin. It would be like getting NASCAR tickets and expecting to see Gordon, Jr., Stewart, etc. and finding out that it's the Busch series race where maybe 2 or 3 of those big names appear. To us, we follow the sport and so guys like Silva, Sherk, Evans, Nog, etc. as stars and consider it star power.

Exactly.

I think a lot of us overlook the simple fact that I'd say at least 75% of people that watch MMA in America are merely watching to see a big KO. The sport will grow, and people will start to appreciate the other aspects of the sport, but right now, the commercials and highlight reels are what is selling the sport, and what does 90% of the promos/ads feature? Vicious knockouts. Like it or not, I think a lot of UFC "fans" still don't understand or appreciate "2 guys rolling around on the ground all over each other"

Mike is good people but fuck a Sac-Town.

Sacramento is an extremely small market and it's a terrible place to hold a UFC event unless you give us a marquee fight with a few devastating stoppages throughout the night. If Dana scratches Sac off the future event list, I'll be bummed but I really wouldn't blame him. Also I couldn't watch the show at my normal bar scene because of the poor attendance blackout. Fuck a bunch of Sac indeed.

Yeah because that would've made a lot of sense.

If only cause herring is ashitty hw version of brian geraghty

edited to reflect something resembling submission skill

I think if anyone called Herring Brian Geragthy to his face they might get knocked out worse then the dude who kissed him.

I got a little bit of a chubby girl coming over tonight, myself, so I, like Tong, am heavily involved with a bottle of liquor right now.