TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The Hockey Thread - October

He was a starter.

Then he did this:

2003-04: 2.04, 853/932, .915

2005-06: 2.97, 986/1099, .897

2006-07: 4.33, 421/483, .872 (in only 18 games)

Essentially, he was a very good pre-lockout goalie but could not adjust to the new NHL.

Is there some history between Malkin and Ovechkin in Russia that I'm not aware of? Every time they play it seems like Ovechkin is trying to murder him in the middle of the game. Yesterday he was flying around taking 20 steps and charging at Malkin only to have Malkin duck him at the last second. Is there some backstory or have they just decided they don't like each other?

What's the word on Stuart?

Worse than the outcome is what happened to Brad Stuart. The Detroit defenseman was hit in the left knee (where there's little padding) by a Sami Salo shot. We'll find out Friday what Stuart's injury prognosis is, but he left Joe Louis Arena, Thursday night, on crutches. He didn't look like someone who would be playing in Saturday's game.

Derek Meech, come on down. Also sounds like Zetterberg's out until at least the middle of next week. Fan-fucking-tastic.

There's some kind of rivalry between Malkin and Ovechkin that I'm sure we'll find out about soon enough. Ovechkin has really rounded his game though. Some of those hits were fucking brutal.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
Has Philly had a good goalie since Hextall left?

I recall some fleeting brilliance from Jeff Hackett and Roman Cechmanek.

EDIT: to clarify on the Savard stuff, it sounds like Bowman made this call. So no surprise, Bowman is running this organ-eye-zation, not Tallon.

Has Philly had a good goalie since Hextall left?

I recall some fleeting brilliance from Jeff Hackett and Roman Cechmanek.

Ron "I let in soft goals at bad times" Hextall.

I remember Cechmanek having some hot periods, but never quite caught on. He did win five titles in the Czech Republic.

Right or wrong, I don't think this statement will be argued too much: Bob Clarke is probably to blame for any problem the Flyers have had in the last 15 years.

Tonight's Jackets game went the same way as two of the first three - jump out to an early lead and then the team seems to panic in their efforts to maintain it. I don't like being negative after a win, but the opposing team should not be allowed to sniff victory after being down 3-0 in the second period.

I fear for Pascal Leclaire. It wouldn't surprise me if last season ends up being a career year but I was hoping the regression to the mean would be relatively mild. Fifteen goals allowed in the first four games is not a good sign.

I think its time to bring out the Bob Clarke 10 gun salute picture.

Ask and ye shall receive:

:firing: Clarke.jpg

Yes! Seeing this always bring a smile on my face.

Anyone watching the Flames/Oilers game? Calgary looks disjointed out there with those penalties they have been taking.

The Sabres won 5-2 tonight. I think that the guy who does their postgame on the radio hit the nail on the head for what the main difference is with this team as opposed to the last couple Sabres teams...there's like no pressure on this team. That's what it was like the year after the lockout. Now the team itself isn't exactly playing the same highturnover/highpowered kind of offense either...so that helps. They've scored 7 pp goals against allowing 0 when they're a man short. And Thomas Vanek had another 3 points tonight. 6 goals in 4 games. Ales Kotalik has quietly put in 4 in 4 himself. They've been playing without Hecht, Connolly (shock I know) and Gaustad...and 2 of their best players (Roy and Pomminville) haven't really gotten going yet. Everyone on the ice looks like they're finally growing into their rolls on the team. Which...I guess would make sense since they have so many 3rd and 4th year guys.

I'm going to wait until the end of October to see if this Sabres team is actually legit. There's too many holes on this team to be an actual threat.

Leafs v. Rangers sounded awesome though

I only saw bits and pieces, but from what I saw, it should have been a 4 or 5-0 Ranger win. Lots of wide shots, high shots, and twice in the third, they hit the post.

I'm going to wait until the end of October to see if this Sabres team is actually legit. There's too many holes on this team to be an actual threat.

Such as? Ghost laid out a pretty strong case. I admit it's early as well, and I'm sure this young team is going to go through some growing pains and stumble a little, but they look awfully solid thus far.

I'm going to wait until the defence gets in trouble. Right now they are playing well, but that is their biggest weakness and it was the past two seasons. Buffalo this year does not have a strong puck carrying defenceman, and with a team that provides a strong forecheck, Buffalo will not get the forwards rolling. It's not a strong defence either compaired the rest of the Eastern Conference and if this does not improve, Buffalo will be back to reality fighting for playoff position.

What a win last night. This team isn't finishing in last place, dudes.

Handzus is playing like a man possessed. Like the Handzus I wanted us to sign. I like the direction we're headed.

What a win last night. This team isn't finishing in last place, dudes.

Handzus is playing like a man possessed. Like the Handzus I wanted us to sign. I like the direction we're headed.

Until injuries hit, right King?

Cujo gets his first start for the Leafs tonight against the Penguins. Over/under on goals scored by the Penguins?

I'll go a conservative 3.5.

He did look good in the third last week, against an almost-equally dynamic Habs offence.

I'm going to a Caps game at the end of December.

I don't know much about the team besides Ovechkin, so what do I need to know? Also, anyone been to a Caps game?

Yeah, I went to 6 games last year, including the home finale against Florida and Game 5 against Philly. I'm going to 7 more games this year.

Capitals games are pretty fun sometimes. Throughout the game, you'll hear the occasional horn blast from "The Horn Guy", who sits in the upper deck, and if you hear a guy chanting "Let's Go Caps" in a loud voice, that's just Goat. Best goal horn in the NHL, and you'll definitely enjoy the "Unleash the Fury" video during the 3rd period.

Goat!

I really like the new HNIC theme. I heard it on the radio a few times last weekend, and didn't mind it. They kept saying how much better it was set to visuals, which made sense to me, but I didn't realise they changed the graphics package as well. I really like the stadium graphic to start (as opposed to the pond hockey map of Canada, which was awesome as well). It adds a very 'big game' feel to it right from the get go.

Looking at the box scores from Friday, I can't help but be confused. Did the Oilers really score three power play goals? Really? The Oilers? It really is a brave new world. The weird happenings that always pop up at the start of a new hockey season are exciting, but I've learned to never, EVER trust anything that happens in October. Habs fans should remember the strange performances of Brian Savage in Octobers past, that's always my favourite example.

Czech - I think the idea of "keeping it in the family" springs from the success certain organizations have had with it, although I guess it might just be TWO organizations that have ever had any success with it, since the Oilers and Canadiens are the only ones that come to mind. Still, sports teams seem to be easily seduced by ideas that have no proof of success in any other environment.

Not to rain on the parade or anything, but be wary of Quenneville. You're right about his history with goaltenders; a friend of mine is a big Avs fan and has nearly had his head explode multiple times over the last couple of seasons thanks to Coach Q. He's also probably chiefly responsible for the Avs' mortifyingly poor specials teams last season, and holds at least 40% of the blame for the Blues going from the best team in the NHL to a team that sorta kinda looks like it could be the best team in the NHL. I really don't understand this coaching change at all, frankly.

Guest C*Z*E*C*H
Czech - I think the idea of "keeping it in the family" springs from the success certain organizations have had with it, although I guess it might just be TWO organizations that have ever had any success with it, since the Oilers and Canadiens are the only ones that come to mind. Still, sports teams seem to be easily seduced by ideas that have no proof of success in any other environment.

But the Blackhawks have done nothing but fail with that old-line Bill Wirtz thinking. I don't get how fans could turn on the team so swiftly, from "In Rocky We Trust" to "AHHHH I'M DONE WITH THESE GUYS THIS ISN'T BLACKHAWK HOCKEY!" You're right, it isn't, and that's good, because "Blackhawk Hockey" is an abject failure. Tallon and Savard were loyal to Bill. Okay, great. I want a Stanley Cup. If you want Denis Savard to keep his coaching job because he was a loyal Blackhawk, then you can have the rest of Old Time Bill Wirtz Hockey, too: cheap payroll, home blackouts, and Bob Pulford's horrible meddling. No thanks. I like the new way.

EDIT: hey neat, Versteeg scored 40 seconds into Q's first game. Welcome to Quenneville! Population: 'stache!