TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

The Hockey Thread - October

Pavel Demitra!

That Nucks-Flames game was ton of fun, especially watching Bertuzzi take stupid penalties, knowing he's no longer on your team

That was more of a dive on Ryan Johnson part more than anything.

I'm not going to deny it was a questionable call, but Bert always seems to get called for stuff at the wrong time

No, I found it hilarious actually with the call as I was watching the game with my roomie, who is a Flames fan.

Dustin Brown played like a captain last night, which was a good things seeing as this team has been devoid of leadership. Glad to see him wearing the C.

I won't be watching the Kings game live since I'm watching TNA Bound For Glory right now. But I am taping it. Hopefully the Kings won't get dominated in shot totals like last night.

I'm going to be watching as many Kings games as possible this season. I want to learn all I can about hockey and the team. FSN West is airing 65 games. If I'm not home or I'm busy, I'll be taping the games. Monday games, I can't watch unless tey replay them the next day since I won't miss Raw or Heroes.

I don't have a DVR, so I'm stuck with a VCR for recording and due to having DirecTV, the TV itself is always on channel 3 so I can't watch one thing and record another. :(

I have a feeling that, by midseason, I will regret ever becoming a hockey/Kings fan. But hey, I suffered through 6 seasons of the Bulls being terrible- granted, I had seen 4 title wins (started watching in 1992-93) to placate me- but the Kings should be pretty good in half that time.

My friend who got me into hockey is a Kings fan. And it takes almost the exact same amount of time to get to Anaheim as it does to L.A. from here. That, and I would be embarrassed to tell people I support a team called the Ducks.

Well the king is just a facet of the outdated monarchial system.

I'm pretty sure that AEG is the worst owner an LA team has had recently, worse even than Fox. The youth has accumulated enough to increase expectations, and they did get Kopitar, and apparently Leiweke is now aware that operates a hockey team, but it might not be enough.

But I like the Clippers, and their owner just pulled a mini-Al Davis with Elgin Baylor, so whatever.

Big time Ranger prospect Alexei Cherepanov collapsed on the bench during a game today in Russia, and is now dead.

RIP

unreal.

How long ago was Roman Lyashenko's death? What are the odds?

RIP

The Kings are better than last season...that's good, I guess. Nothing great, but defensively, a TON better. Jack Johnson went on IR for about 3 months, and the Kings picked up Kyle Quincey off waivers. Had no choice.

Good effort by the Wings in a 3-1 win tonight. Thoughts:

- The team chemistry still isn't there. You can see glimpses of what it could be: In the 3rd, there was a dominant shift by Datsyuk-Hossa-Holmstrom, and they probably should have had one goal on it. Babcock is still mixing up lines, but the team feels like they're not quite out of the pre-season and into the regular season.

- Valterri Filppula's contract already looks like a deal. The last two games, he's been one of the best players on the ice each time. Everything about his play feels more confident, which make me very happy.

- Ty Conklin is awesome. Man, the 90's bred a lot of late-bloomers when it came to goalies, didn't it?

- Watching him play, Pavel Datsyuk is (arguably) the best player in hockey today. He doesn't get as many points as Crosby or Ovechkin, but his game is the most complete in the league and (again, arguably) the world. His backchecking is amazing, as it seems like he can sneak up on anybody and pickpocket the puck. It's sad that he doesn't have a Hart Trophy yet, though he sorely deserves it.

- Of all the players, Jiri Hudler just doesn't seem to be himself. Maybe it's because he has been playing on a higher line than he's used to, but his passes and his stickwork seems to be off.

In other news:

- Kyle Quincy is gone. I'm mixed on this; he's an okay player, but he was horrible in the preseason. He looked tense and hesitant, and a lot of the press said his performance in the untaped games were just as bad. I suppose if we had to lose an alternate defenseman, he'd be the one. Oh well.

Datsyuk is good, but watching Ovechkin and the Caps destroy the Canucks just reinforces how good Ovechkin is. Vancouver essentially decided that Ovechkin wasn't going to beat them, so they triple teamed him whenever he had it. So instead, he played defense, almost liquidated about three players along the wall with hits and generally played an inspired game without the puck. I'd pick Ovechkin to start my team over anyone in the NHL.

Datsyuk is good, but watching Ovechkin and the Caps destroy the Canucks just reinforces how good Ovechkin is. Vancouver essentially decided that Ovechkin wasn't going to beat them, so they triple teamed him whenever he had it. So instead, he played defense, almost liquidated about three players along the wall with hits and generally played an inspired game without the puck. I'd pick Ovechkin to start my team over anyone in the NHL.

As tempted as I am to write that off to being Vancouver, you bring up good points. The main advantage I'd see in taking them is really age and potential more than anything. I'd still say Datsyuk's defensive game makes up for Ovechkin's offensive game, but it's all relative.

Good effort by the Wings in a 3-1 win tonight. Thoughts:

- The team chemistry still isn't there. You can see glimpses of what it could be: In the 3rd, there was a dominant shift by Datsyuk-Hossa-Holmstrom, and they probably should have had one goal on it. Babcock is still mixing up lines, but the team feels like they're not quite out of the pre-season and into the regular season.

- Valterri Filppula's contract already looks like a deal. The last two games, he's been one of the best players on the ice each time. Everything about his play feels more confident, which make me very happy.

- Ty Conklin is awesome. Man, the 90's bred a lot of late-bloomers when it came to goalies, didn't it?

- Watching him play, Pavel Datsyuk is (arguably) the best player in hockey today. He doesn't get as many points as Crosby or Ovechkin, but his game is the most complete in the league and (again, arguably) the world. His backchecking is amazing, as it seems like he can sneak up on anybody and pickpocket the puck. It's sad that he doesn't have a Hart Trophy yet, though he sorely deserves it.

- Of all the players, Jiri Hudler just doesn't seem to be himself. Maybe it's because he has been playing on a higher line than he's used to, but his passes and his stickwork seems to be off.

In other news:

- Kyle Quincy is gone. I'm mixed on this; he's an okay player, but he was horrible in the preseason. He looked tense and hesitant, and a lot of the press said his performance in the untaped games were just as bad. I suppose if we had to lose an alternate defenseman, he'd be the one. Oh well.

Regarding each point you made:

-Agreed on the chemistry issue but hopefully in time the new lines start to click

-Filppula has looked good thus far and the third line in general has looked very solid

-Conklin was great tonight. The save on that two on one was sick.

-Total agreement about Datsyuk. Just wait until he and Hossa get on the same page

-Hudler to me has always been a streaky guy but again like you said it may be adjusting to his new role

-Losing Quincy sucks but the Wings were in a tough spot.