TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Schwarzenegger to Veto Illegal Immigrant Licenses

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (news - web sites) will veto legislation that would allow nearly 2 million illegal immigrants who pass criminal background checks to obtain driver's licenses, a spokeswoman said on Saturday.

The Democratic-controlled California Senate and Assembly approved bills on Friday, the final day of the legislative session, to allow illegal immigrants to apply for driver's licenses.

The legislation was similar to a measure, signed into law by former Democratic Gov. Gray Davis (news - web sites), that Schwarzenegger vowed to have revoked during his campaign for governor last year. The Legislature repealed the law after Schwarzenegger's election.

The latest measure included new provisions such as requiring illegal immigrants to pay for fingerprint background checks. But Margita Thompson, a spokeswoman for the Republican governor, said Schwarzenegger would veto it because it still did not provide enough guarantees to prevent would-be terrorists from entering the state and creating new identities.

"Security background checks (provided for in the legislation) are not sufficient for us to determine that the people who are getting licenses are the people they say they are," Thompson said.

She added the governor also wanted licenses for illegal immigrants to be distinguishable from standard driver's licenses, a provision not included in the legislation passed by state lawmakers.

Minority groups have argued that allowing illegal immigrants, many of whom are Hispanics, to obtain driver's licenses could make the state's roads safer because license holders would need to pass a driver's test and buy car insurance.

Critics have said allowing illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses would reward those who break immigration laws.

A representative for Democratic state Sen. Gilbert Cedillo, who led the push to allow illegal immigrants to obtain driver's licenses, was not immediately available to comment.

Of course since they are illegal they should be rounded up when they come to apply for a license and then just tossed back over the fence.

Of course since they are illegal they should be rounded up when they come to apply for a license and then just tossed back over the fence.

That would certianly make the news fast, and would hurt the economy, the latter being the reason why that would never happen.

The point hasn't been that we should somehow deport California's illegal immigrants. There's way too many of them for that to ever be feasible. The point is to make life tough on them rather than bend to them in ways like this, so that hopefully they want to go back and do it right.

So is Arnold back in your good graces, Jobber, now that he really has stuck it to the illegals?

well I think this sucks.. considering how many illegal immigrants have been here for years, just WAITING for some sort of chance to be equal to everyone else.

You'd think with the tremendous latino population in California, that Arnold would heavily reconsider his decision. Talk about keeping the masses content! :lol:

So is Arnold back in your good graces, Jobber, now that he really has stuck it to the illegals?

Until the economic decision improves, I remain cynical. The illegals aren't really that strong an issue to me. I think there's only really one solution to that problem, that the middle ground he was proposing was kind of dumb.

He's garage sale'ing a lot of crap but at most that's just a once-in-a-lifetime ding against the huge debt.

Guest Paul H.

Good for him.Hope the feds take notice cuz now they wanna give illegals social security... :huh:

well I think this sucks.. considering how many illegal immigrants have been here for years, just WAITING for some sort of chance to be equal to everyone else.

You'd think with the tremendous latino population in California, that Arnold would heavily reconsider his decision. Talk about keeping the masses content! :lol:

Hey, you know what would help them go a long way to having equality here?

Becoming LEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

You'd think with the tremendous latino population in California, that Arnold would heavily reconsider his decision. Talk about keeping the masses content!  :lol:

Thank you Dr. Obvious ;) but the problem is, it's very hard to become a legal citizen, especially after 9/11. The INS takes months, years even to get through thousands of cases, only to not guarantee a damn thing.

Guest MikeSC

You'd think with the tremendous latino population in California, that Arnold would heavily reconsider his decision. Talk about keeping the masses content!  :lol:

Thank you Dr. Obvious ;) but the problem is, it's very hard to become a legal citizen, especially after 9/11. The INS takes months, years even to get through thousands of cases, only to not guarantee a damn thing.

That's the way it goes. If you want to be legal, you gotta follow the rules.

-=Mike

There's people who work like hell to learn information about this country that you and I either never knew or quickly forgot so that they can gain citizenship. Imagine how they feel about the freeloaders.

Thank you Dr. Obvious  ;) but the problem is, it's very hard to become a legal citizen, especially after 9/11. The INS takes months, years even to get through thousands of cases, only to not guarantee a damn thing.

There's people who work like hell to learn information about this country that you and I either never knew or quickly forgot so that they can gain citizenship. Imagine how they feel about the freeloaders.

Well, I wouldn't know how they'd feel if we use the label ''freeloaders'', but I'm pretty sure that if a little lax on the rules got say, the rest of their family granted citizenship, that they wouldn't be too sour about having gone through hell for their own legal status.

Rules and rules though, I guess.. -_-

Guest Olympic Slam
He's garage sale'ing a lot of crap but at most that's just a once-in-a-lifetime ding against the huge debt.

The garage sale is insane. A 30 pound box of confiscated scissors could be yours! Most of the people that showed up HOURS early on Friday got stuck with parking tickets. I have to wonder if that wasn't all planned.......

On the illegal immigrant issue. Look at Quebec. Now look at California. Mexifornia coming to you by 2030?

On the illegal immigrant issue. Look at Quebec. Now look at California. Mexifornia coming to you by 2030?

Eh, I don't know, but I doubt it. It's not like we're the only state where they're at, but we are the gateway state and we have a lot of agricultural industry that doesn't mind hiring under-the-table.

Eventually someone will start getting serious about it and they'll start spreading out more.

Guest Olympic Slam
On the illegal immigrant issue.  Look at Quebec.  Now look at California.  Mexifornia coming to you by 2030?

Eh, I don't know, but I doubt it. It's not like we're the only state where they're at, but we are the gateway state and we have a lot of agricultural industry that doesn't mind hiring under-the-table.

Eventually someone will start getting serious about it and they'll start spreading out more.

The amount of Spanish being spoken throughout the state is getting really noticeable. That's not to say that ALL spanish speakers are illegal (heh, my grandmother from El Paso didn't get English down cold until the 80's) but I have a theory.......

I think the key problem is that there's no assimilation being forced upon the Mexican community; both within or by any other external source. This is especially true in illegal circles where these people come to America not to become Americans, but to better their lives. They aren't fleeing dictators, czars or starvation, they're just looking for money and better jobs. Perfectly understandable, but this isn't the same kind of immigration that came to Ellis Island. When people fled Russia and finally got to the U.S, they kissed the ground and did everything they could to become American because this was their new life. Their desperation made them assimilate. People I meet from India are just so glad to be out of their "failed" (their word, not mine) homeland that they do everything in their power to become American (includuing turning their kids into A+ students). This woman from Iran in my public speaking class is just thrilled to be in America and away from that "nightmare" she used to call home.

Sadly illegal immigrants are more like outsourced labor from Mexico. Spanish is spoken instead of English. Loyalty is not to the U.S but to Mexico and more money. Check out a Mexico vs. US soccer game at the LA colisseum if you want to see it to believe it. But I'd recommend wearing the red, green and white if you want to come home in one piece.

Along with much smaller paychecks and Mexican (not American) customs, they then seggregate themselves into spanish only communities. This FURTHER increases the desire not to assimilate as there's no reason to when everyone around you speaks the same language. I know I wouldn't.

Put all of these things together along with an emphasis on multiculturalism, bilignualism and an across the board love of Mexico (which is not viewed as that bad of a place) by legal citizens and illegal guests and you have thus created a sub-community in America.

You'll note I didn't say a single bad thing about Mexicans. It's not their fault they want a better life. Hell, I love Mexicans! I love my Mexican family (all 12,000 of us! :D ) I love hot hot hot Latin women! But sadly there are consequences when cultures colide. You think the U.S is divided now!? Throw in Qubec/Canada style politcs, racial and cultural socio-economic divide (possible apartheid?) and a multi-cultural tone and you have yourself a bit of a problem. I truly believe that we could have full-on bilingualism in California by 2025. I won't even get into the money, security, crime and social services issues we're currently dealing with as its been done to death.

I had this history teacher a few semesters back and he had a great poster on his wall. "Immigration supports bad things; just as ask the Indians." Funny, but something to think about.

The amount of Spanish being spoken throughout the state is getting really noticeable.

How long have you lived here? I've lived here for all 22 years, and it's always been like that even here in pricey wine country where the cost of living is phenomenal. That's why it never bothers me. Perhaps if you've only been living here a few years you notice it more.

When people fled Russia and finally got to the U.S, they kissed the ground and did everything they could to become American because this was their new life.

Agreed.

Check out a Mexico vs. US soccer game at the LA colisseum if you want to see it to believe it.  But I'd recommend wearing the red, green and white if you want to come home in one piece.

That's a pretty unfair statement because Soccer does not really have a presence on the national stage in the US, but the Mexico teams tend to have a lot of popular players.

I probably wouldn't have thought anything about that except that I rooted for another country against the US in the Olympics recently because I liked one of the athletes. But with Soccer it's especially true.

I truly believe that we could have full-on bilingualism in California by 2025.

I think before it'll get to that point more people will be paying attention. Someone will get elected and put a plan into effect. People won't like it and that political career will be short, but once someone's addressed the fact that there's an elephant in the room people will be able to accept that something's got to be done about it.

And thus I don't really think it'll keep centralizing in Cali. I see it in Nevada, and I'm sure it's in surrounding states, too. Now that I think about it, I never saw anything like that in Washington, but again, I'm so immune to it anymore having lived here for so long that it's presence and absence isn't really discernable anymore. Although it was a big city in the middle of convention time, so maybe it wasn't a fair sampling.

Actually, looking at growth trends, it's more likely to be Mexifornia by 2025, but Meximerica by 2050 around when us whites drop below 50%. That's why Hispanics are the demographical political prize that they are. Because all the old and middle aged white guys know they've got to get in good so the elite whites can keep on passing their powers to their sons and daughters. :-)

Of course, replace white and hispanic with WASP's and Irish/Italian and you've got the early-mid 20th century. Look how that turned out.

Lord willing, the entire state will have fallen into the ocean by then.

Guest Paul H.

ok. what about this? How about entering the counrty...LEGALLY? :( There are more than a few regurlar people with documents that would actually take a gardening job or home construction work for some extra-cash,in fact those jobs where once upon a time given to us,the young adults and teenagers.

Illegals lower salaries and take jobs..period.

Guest Olympic Slam
ok. what about this? How about entering the counrty...LEGALLY? :( There are more than a few regurlar people with documents that would actually take a gardening job or home construction work for some extra-cash,in fact those jobs where once upon a time given to us,the young adults and teenagers.

Its just a million times easier to come illegally than to go through all the hoops of getting citizenship. My dad came from Canada with his family in 1950 and finally got citizenship just in time for his high school graduation in 1962! Its easier said than done.

Guest Paul H.

Ok,

Canadians shouldn't count really...i'm serious there's always a good chance that they go back and Americans move up there frwuently too so there I really don't see the point in having travel restriction between 2 countries with similar living standards or economies.

There is also going to be a tradeoff though if America ever truly wants to rid illegal immigrants. This is why I truly believe our government has no intention of doing anything, it is just rhetoric for the righter side of things to get votes. Face it, if it was americans(including LEGAL immigrants) doing all that field work, imagine how the price in produce at the grocery stores would skyrocket. When it comes to corporations and profit being tied into government policy, it is just leads me to believe that it is all just hot air being blown up in order to comfort people who don't want illegal immigrants coming over here.

Guest Paul H.

They use legal aliens too..and they get paid crap alot of the times.It's about jobs and wages to me thy could just take any basic job..any easy job not just manual labor and lower the salary of everybody else. I'd pay more for groceries if that was the case.

Guest Anglesault
On the illegal immigrant issue.  Look at Quebec.  Now look at California.  Mexifornia coming to you by 2030?

I like to pretend it already has.

Yeah sure, because you are surely on the front lines protesting grocery stores that sell produce picked and processed by the sweat of illegal immigrants. ;)

True.

Which is why there needs to be legislation that forces companies to pay illegals the same wages as they'd pay anyone else. Cover illegals with the minimum wage laws and you'll remove a lot of the incentive for companies to hire these people. Then when they can't get jobs, maybe they'll swim back to Mexico and try to do it right the next time.

On the illegal immigrant issue.   Look at Quebec.  Now look at California.  Mexifornia coming to you by 2030?

Yeah sure, because you are surely on the front lines protesting grocery stores that sell produce picked and processed by the sweat of illegal immigrants. ;)

I'm all about growing your own.

GO ORGANIC, BITCHES.