TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

2005-2006 MLB Offseason thread

I know there was a thread for fired managers, but that doesn't really encompass very much. I figure this can be a thread for all things that may not necessarily be worthy of their own thread.

I can start it off with some news that I personally find thrilling:

Joe Girardi is the new manager of the Florida Marlins. It will officially be announced on Thursday. Rumors of a potential coaching staff have included Mel Stottlemyre, Don Zimmer, Don Baylor, and Andres Galaragga as hitting coach.

I'm 100% convinced that he has what it takes to carry the Marlins to the next level - but we'll see.

Don Baylor. Hah.

Anyway, here's hoping that the Cubs have a lively and productive offseason that helps us put a contender on the field. So far, we've given Ryan Dempster an extension, and it doesn't look like Patterson is getting non-tendered. There's plenty of time. Just keep tellin' yourself.

Guest Smues

The Yankees broke off talks with Leo Mazzone. Thank christ. Leo is apparantly still talking with Baltimore. I'll be incredibly sad if he goes anywhere, but Baltimore would be a heck of a lot easier to deal with.

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the Red Sox have offered Manny Ramirez to the Mets for Carlos Beltran.

Beltran still has six years left on his contract while Ramirez has three. Ramirez is owed $57 million including a $1 million bonus if he is traded, while Beltran is owed only $42.5 million over the next three years. Since there are not many center field options via free agency and with Johnny Damon's insistence on a five-year deal, the Red Sox would probably love to pull this off. Oct. 20 - 10:06 am et

WHOA.

They'd still need to get someone to bat behind Ortiz, otherwise he's going to be walked close to Bonds levels. Why let Ortiz beat you when there's nobody batting behind him?

Holy shit. If this trade goes through, I'm going to track Omar Minaya down and beat him senseless. Ramirez won't be nearly as good a hitter in Shea Stadium and definitely won't justify his huge contract. Beltran already doesn't justify his huge contract, but at least he's almost guaranteed to continually get better.

Minaya's shooting for the playoffs next year, with no thought what will happen after that. So really, he's acting how a Mets GM usually acts.

Lastings Milledge plays center field, so this trade really isn't a lost at all. Ramirez's contract is 3 years shorter, and Beltran has always been the type of hitter you saw last year. It's a win win for the Mets, and the Sox because Fenway should help Beltran.

Lastings Milledge plays center field, so this trade really isn't a lost at all. Ramirez's contract is 3 years shorter, and Beltran has always been the type of hitter you saw last year. It's a win win for the Mets, and the Sox because Fenway should help Beltran.

Actually, this season was one of Beltran's worst. It's easily his worst full season. His career line is .282/.350/.479; his line this year was .266/.330/.414. His full season average is about 25 HR and 35 SB; this year, he hit 16 HR and stole 17 SB. I honestly believe that in the future he's going to produce numbers closer to his career and less like last year's.

Anyway, it's not like the Mets are currently hurting for a center fielder. It's way too early to promote Milledge to the majors. Cameron's still there.

This went under the radar. Mark Bellhord declined a demotion to Columbus, and becomes a free agent. Bellhorn had a bad year, but considering he's a second baseman with 15-25 home run power and has the potential to produce a .370 OBP, some team should take a shot. The Twins for example could benefit.

I know Minaya wants Manny, but I seriously doubt he'd give up Beltran to get him. I might be wrong, but it just seems like it would give them a really bad rep with free agents. Who wants to sign with a team that's just going to turn around and trade them?

Plus, haven't the Sox been trying to give away Manny for two years now? You don't take their first offer.

It'll get a ton of hype though, people love blockbusters

Reports are AA manager Torey Lovullo met with the Dodger organization as well. Given that Lovullo is a former Red Baron and someone I got to meet in person, I would love to see him get the job.

Thank goodness Dusty Baker isn't on the list. I could see DePodesta and McCourt hiring both him *and* Barry Bonds. I don't think either DePo or McCourt bleeds Dodger blue or has a soul for that matter.

I just have a terrible feeling Bernie Williams is going to be in CF for the Yankees on opening day next year. I don't think there going to sign Damon, and any other CF semi available would have to come in a trade. The Twins would Want Cano or Wang or Hughes for Hunter, same as the Marlins for Pierre. God damn is this FA market bad.

That'd be a PR disaster.

All the NY papers destroyed Steinbrenner and co. for letting go of Pettite, Clemens, Contrer Duque, basically saying George has no patience. Also, the whole thing going around with NY fans and the actul front office is that they cannot trade their young talent. wang has bad peripherals I know, but trading him after the year he had would be a bad idea.

I just have a terrible feeling Bernie Williams is going to be in CF for the Yankees on opening day next year. I don't think there going to sign Damon, and any other CF semi available would have to come in a trade. The Twins would Want Cano or Wang or Hughes for Hunter, same as the Marlins for Pierre. God damn is this FA market bad.

Isn't Pierre a FA? His numbers have been in decline anyway....

I'd trade Wang for Hunter in a flash. Bring on Spiderman! :headbang: