DrVenkman PhD
Members-
Posts
9713 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by DrVenkman PhD
-
I remember when he did a missile dropkick in his WWE title defense against Viscera. He also leaped over the top rope to enter the ring that night too, IIRC.
-
"Even with all the screwing around smashing cars, picking up their drivers, and dropping them down smokestacks (complete with their "Thank you, Superman! You saved me!")..." Hilarious. I'm in no way shocked the game sucks, and I don't think anyone else is either.
-
Well, I was all set to say "when Meltzer doesn't have wrestling news or articles to write, it becomes MMA heavy", but that doesn't seem to be an issue to you. It's not as if there is a timetable to say "this is when big stories will break out, be a subscriber then" but he does usually make the best with what is available. With so many PPVs these days, almost every other issue (or more at the moment - next week will be Genesis, then Survivor Series, and then ECW, then the December TNA PPV, etc.) has a good in depth review of one.
-
This week marked the first time since mid 2005 I received the Monday issue on Monday. I was quite happy as History of WCW Part 2 was a good read (and part 1 was still fresh in my head as that did not arrive until last Friday)..
-
I'm out for the season. My difficulty getting WWE.com to load properly was what caused me to make this 'poor sport' announcement, but I had been thinking of giving it up due to the Fantasy Board's stupidity this year (allowing spoiler readers to win, the way a lot of people went up in price) for a few weeks now. See you in Season 9.
-
Yes, sort of, though I only recently found this out myself. During a Nitro in September/October 96 where the nWo had taken over, Hall asks Giant "was Andre really your dad?". Giant doesn't really answer and kind of shrugs it all off.
-
Failed, but pretty close to success. My plan of using a Future Shop near a Best Buy, EB, TRU, and Zellers almost paid off, but I put too much stock into people going to those areas to get the Wii and didn't get to FS until 9:15 (store opens at 10). There was a line that I counted to be more than 40 before I waited in it, but there was that small chance they had more and/or the people in line were groups buying one and/or families. A lot of people at were talking about how Best Buy (which opened 2 hours earlier), Wal-Mart, and others were sold out. The teenagers that arrived after me were particularly angry that the Wal-Mart they went to apparently gave late night / early morning campers vouchers to come back in the morning. They arrived thinking there was not much of a line, only to find out they would be asked for a voucher that they did not have. FS started letting 5 people in at a time to buy the system. There was a lot of talk about how cold out it was this morning as well. Me and the random guy behind me kept getting all excited when we counted 2 people leaving the store with one Wii, but alas, as we were 9 people (and at least 3 of those people were a family just buying 1) away from the door, an employee came out to announce the sell out. Really, I only wanted to go to have the "waiting outside in a line complaining about how cold it is with fellow gamers excited about a system launch" experience. Most of the people around me (save for the old people who were probably trying to get a Christmas present) agreed it's all god because we know Nintendo will keep up with shipments that we can get online. It was fun discussing the Virtual Console and things of that nature. There was some light Dreamcast / Marvel vs Capcom 2 talk as well. There was also a guy that drove by around 9:30 with 4 Wiis looking to sell them (with Zelda) for $650. No takers.
-
I watched a seriously messed up house show from January 91 (MSG) on 24/7. It has the possibly once in a lifetime announce team of Sean Mooney and Bobby Heenan (I thought I was going to be doing this broadcast by myself *looks at Mooney* I guess I am). The opening match is Shane Douglas vs Paul Roma, which Roma wins twice. The ref counted three on something he probably shouldn't have, and Douglas ends up looking like a poor sport face because he continues wrestling while the bell rings multiple times. Roma looks all pissed, yells at the ref, then they do a sequence that I guess was originally going to end the match, all while Heenan and Mooney have no idea what the hell is going on. The ref does a quick 3 count and Roma just keeps yelling - it's really hard to tell if he's pissed off or in character as a heel (it seems to be the former). The ref is also some old, short, bald man. The next match is arm wrestling between Bulldog and Warlord which was really a very long stall by Warlord. There was also a face vs face match between Tito and Koko - Tito won and Koko did not shake hands. That went nowhere. The main event, a steel cage match between Warrior and Savage, had SAVAGE winning. I didn't think heels won house show main events if no belt was on the line, especially if it's someone like Warrior wrestling. I think he lost because Sherri came into the cage and had her clothes ripped off by Warrior while Savage escaped. It just seemed very oddly booked. Oh, Heenan also left the announce table when Bossman came out, causing it to become Mooney and Brother Love. Yeah. Edit: As I wrote this, this seemed more like a "What are you watching now" instead of a "Notes from the past" deal - just another reason why I think we need some sort of merged CTDWAT thread here, but I digress.
-
This was the buzz at high school the next day. Everyone - fans, non fans - were discussing it. It was the non/casual fans that pointed out the large amount of styrofoam that was in there to help the fall. Off topic, but it kinda sucks that I don't get to have spirited wrestling discussions at work like I did at school in the 90s, although two weeks ago there was a random debate out of nowhere between two co-workers that there were multiple Undertakers. At 10 years old, I didn't quite know what to make of Earthquake squashing a snake or Macho Man being bitten by one. As a point of reference, 1991 was when I started watching wrestling. I also got antsy watching Berzerker matches after the sword incident because for some reason I thought he was going to go rogue and use it for real. I have no idea why. I seem to recall him taking a swing at Mr. Perfect as well, but he hit the ring post. I thought Yokozuna was Japanese, if that counts as being worked by an angle. I bought into the Liz/Savage wedding, but that was one of the first angles I ever saw and really, how the hell would I know they were married for years?
-
You never know with roms if it's an original game problem or one exclusive to the rom, but when I played Genesis VF2 on a homemade Genesis disc for DC, it looked really great but played SOOOO SLOOOOW. It's as if transferring 3d graphics into good looking - especially for the Genesis - 2d fighters put a lot of strain on the gameplay. I only played it for a few minutes before trying the Genesis version of Duke Nukem 3D (which was as bad as it sounds).
-
I started a Raw season mode with Flair but ended up with the WWE title in a month and did the rest of the season as a champion. . Overall, I'm enjoying the storylines. In regards to other titles:
-
I need to read a FAQ about environmental finishers. I knew about the parking lot hearse and announce table, didn't know about the ladder. Edit: No luck at GameFAQs, but I did read you need to win the MITB Trophy to wrestle in the ONS arena. In other words, I will never be in that arena.
-
My favourite line was "I WAS IN SCHWETY BALLS!"
-
Yo.
-
Cutting SoR from one of the Sonic comps because it would make the game T (for teen) instead of E KINDA made sense (you'd think the majority of people are buying the game out of nostalgia and thus would be in their teens or later). Keeping it off of a comp already rated T is baffling.
-
http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/_midnig...=&langid=EN So, I called my local Future Shop and they told me they are expecting 40 Wii units. I like that number. Knowing a number is a great help as I have myself set to swing by Future Shop tomorrow and use my store card to pick one up. If I see more than 40 people outside (and I don't really anticipate that, but who knows) then I will quietly leave. If it's looking ok, I will stay and buy one. I have it in my mind that there is no way this can fail due to the store location and the fact I am only using it due to my store card; it's right next to a TRU and across the street from a mall with an EB Games and Zellers. It's also near a Best Buy (who, being the same company, are also expecting 40 units).
-
I was thinking of cheating all of those by adjusting the AI sliders to never reverse, but since it auto-sets the difficulty of the challenge, it might negate that as well. I tried a MITB match today after work, it was really fun. I didn't think I'd win (and I didn't), but it was just so chaotic I was actually having fun losing. For the record, I was The Great Khali and my opponents were Kid Kash, Rey Mysterio, Chavo Guerrero, Psicosis, and Super Crazy. Chokeslamming people from the ring to the floor with the UMC is incredibly fun and awesome. I also liked that as Khali, I could essentially take one (sometimes two) grabs for the briefcase before his big clumsy ass fell off the ladder. Regarding the weight class complaints, I think that while frustrating, it is fun and adds an odd level of thinking to the game. I also noted that while in season as Carlito, in my first match with Khali, he wouldn't sell my clotheslines at first, but once his body damage showed some colour, he started selling. That was neat.
-
Someone wrote this on wikipedia - it will probably be erased by someone else in the future, but I found it funny: "Although, in the "money in the bank" mode, it is seemingly impossible to actually win. In the match, a player is expected to set up a ladder and grab the breifcase suspended atop the ring, but this task proves utterly unprobable as the other 5 computer players constantly knock you off the ladder. After hours and hours of gameplay, there is no possible way to knock them out. In addition, if you get onto the ladder, there will literally be a line of computer controlled players waiting to knock you off, systematically. The real fun in this mode would probably best be derived from laughing at the hopelessness of the situation. In this mode, if you play to the bitter end, the only concievable way to achieve victory, is to bet on another player and win. As for you, the player, it looks like "money in the bank" mode is bankrupt for you."
-
Is new black employee the guy from the bank commercials? WAMU, maybe? Either way, it's the commercial with these old stuffy bankers talking about charging people for things whatever hip black man's bank doesn't.
-
It will be Triple H and he will pin all of the Squad himself. Also, since it seems SmackDown no longer warrants a thread, the way the Helms/Hardy match opened (with Helms doing a 'snap' missile dropkick while posing on the ropes) was awesome.
-
Lazy Scranton already had me laughing but Dwight jumping into the scene and being part of the video made it even better. I wasn't as enamoured with Andy in the Stamford episodes as everyone else (though I did find him funny), but wow was he great with Michael and Dwight.
-
Boo @ not being able to cheat the challenges by using a second player.
-
I was originally planning on heading to the local Future Shop sometime Sunday morning and scoping out what was going on outside, then go from there. If things looked good, I would go use my store card and pick one up with Zelda. If things looked bad, I would just leave. Now I'm thinking I might just not go. I just got FF XII and SvR2007 recently and they've been keeping me pretty busy, Zelda would just complicate matters. Since supply is allegedly going to be so good, I'm thinking I might just order one online in the near future and have it arrive whenever. Then again, I still might try for Sunday.
-
I was at Zellers on an unrelated mall trip today and noticed signs in the electronics department apologizing for Sony "not providing promised units" (or something similar). They only appeared to have 2 or 3 games and I don't even recall what they were.
-
The environmental finishing moves are cool, although it's silly that EVERYONE (I first discovered this finisher existed with Khali) can do Shane McMahon's announce table elbow drop finisher. Ending a parking lot brawl by locking someone in a casket, putting it in a hearse (which has Boogeyman hiding in the back) and watching it drive away is funny.