TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

WCW had much success with bringing in the luchas, so the WWF figured they'd give it a shot. Plus they'd supposedly help business in Califonia, Texas, etc etc

Guest Ice Classic V.2

I have a few questions about a couple of things I never knew about.

What was the whole "Syracuse Nine Incident"

The Infamous Chair Throwing Scene in ECW

HBK "Lost My Smile"

I think that is all for now.

I assume you're talking about HBK with the Syracuse Nine Incident. In October 1995 (I'm guessing), HBK, 1-2-3 Kid, and British Bulldog went into a club one night. HBK was hitting on some marine's girlfriend or something, so the marine, along with about eight others beat the tar out of HBK, leaving him injured for 1-2 months and forcing him to forfeit the IC Title to Dean Douglas at IYH IV. He returned at Survivor Series 95, I believe. There's probably a more detailed account on what happened somewhere online.

HBK losing his smile was the phrase HBK used for his "knee injury" in February 1997, causing him to forfeit the WWF Title. He had just won the belt from Sid at Royal Rumble 97, and supposedly, the plan for WM 13 was for HBK to lose the belt back to Bret Hart, returning the job that Bret did for HBK the previous year. To make a long story short, many believe that HBK decided to fake a knee injury (losing his smile, he said) rather than lose to Bret at WM 13. Many call it fake if only because for months, HBK was on Raw almost every week looking to be in perfect condition. He returned on 5/26/97 Raw to team with Steve Austin against the Bulldog & Owen.

1.) What was the real reason for HBK's absence following WM 11 when he was attacked by Sid?

2.) Why was Sid taken out of the Final Four main event?

The Infamous Chair Throwing Scene in ECW:

Cactus Jack and Terry Funk were teaming against The Public Enemy. Both members of PE are down in the ring, and Foley calls for a chair. You see, ECW fans provided the wrestlers with weapsons from time to time. Well, one person throws a chair into the ring. And another. And another. After a few seconds, PE was buried underneath a pile of chairs.

HBK losing his smile was the phrase HBK used for his "knee injury" in February 1997, causing him to forfeit the WWF Title. He had just won the belt from Sid at Royal Rumble 97, and supposedly, the plan for WM 13 was for HBK to lose the belt back to Bret Hart, returning the job that Bret did for HBK the previous year. To make a long story short, many believe that HBK decided to fake a knee injury (losing his smile, he said) rather than lose to Bret at WM 13. Many call it fake if only because for months, HBK was on Raw almost every week looking to be in perfect condition. He returned on 5/26/97 Raw to team with Steve Austin against the Bulldog & Owen.

I always found this amusing, as Michaels, if the injury actually was faked, thought he was getting himself out of something. What then resulted was one of the greatest matches in North American history and further solidified Steve Austin as the future star that he would become.

:headbang:

Bret won the since vacant title at the Final Four PPV. To clean up the mess that HBK's fake injury created, Sid was declared the #1 contender, with the runner up of Final Four facing the Champion at WM13. Undertaker was named the #1 contender against whoever the champion would be at WM13, as UT came second in Final Four. Sid won the title from Bret Hart the following night on Raw, thanks to Austin hitting Hart with a chair while Sid was in the sharpshooter.

Despite being a long time Hitman fan, I always thought it was great writing on Raw two weeks before WM, when Bret, scheduled to fight Austin at WM13, took on Sid for the title. Undertaker interefer and made sure Sid retained the title. Undertaker of course, went on to win the title at WM13.

:cheers:

How did Sgt. Slaughter and Razor Ramon get the title shot at their respective Royal Rumbles?

What was Warrior's excuse for dropping out of the SSeries 92 match?

When did WWE start and stop with the Event Center?

When did Mean Gene and Bobby Heenan leave WWE and what was the reason for their depature?

When did Mean Gene and Bobby Heenan leave WWE and what was the reason for their depature?

they first used the Events Center on WWF TV the weekend after WrestleMania 4 in 1988. Gene Okerlund hosted these for about 2 months, and the Sean Mooney took over and did them until 93 (not sure if anyone did them after this)

Heenan left the WWF in December 93, I believe the actual reason was he wanted to spend more time or be close with his daughter or something. Not sure about Gene Okerlund, but the last time I saw him was SummerSlam 93

Guest Corey291
How did Sgt. Slaughter and Razor Ramon get the title shot at their respective Royal Rumbles?

What was Warrior's excuse for dropping out of the SSeries 92 match?

1. To the best of my knowledge, that was simply what was booked for that show. Slaughter was the big heel at the time, and they were looking to put the title back on Hulk Hogan in a big USA v. Iraq storyline, so they put the title on Slaughter at the Rumble. Not sure if there was really any big storyline with Razor though.

2. There was no excuse. He simply was no longer there. The WWF didn't make any excuse, but rather simply focused on Savage and his pick for a new partner.

-Corey

After doing a quick search on google, apparently it was because neither wanted to move to Stamford, Connecticut, like McMahon wanted. Not the first time we've heard that too. Former WCW announcer/current TNA backstage interviewer Scott Hudson didn't want to move to CT when the WCW invasion started in 2001.

Edited by Tony149

they first used the Events Center on WWF TV the weekend after WrestleMania 4 in 1988. Gene Okerlund hosted these for about 2 months, and the Sean Mooney took over and did them until 93 (not sure if anyone did them after this)

Heenan left the WWF in December 93, I believe the actual reason was he wanted to spend more time or be close with his daughter or something. Not sure about Gene Okerlund, but the last time I saw him was SummerSlam 93

Craig DeGeorge did the Event Center in 1987 for a while. Craig disappeared around the time of WM 4 (he did the build up for it on the Event Center), I have no idea why he was fired. I believe Mooney debuted at WM 4 or shortly afterwards, and eventually did the event center for the next 4/5 years.

During a video package for Bash at the Beach '95, Vader is shown destroying guys at various indy shows as part of what they were calling his "roadkill tour".What was the stroyline behind this?

Craig DeGeorge did the Event Center in 1987 for a while. Craig disappeared around the time of WM 4 (he did the build up for it on the Event Center), I have no idea why he was fired. I believe Mooney debuted at WM 4 or shortly afterwards, and eventually did the event center for the next 4/5 years.

that wasn't the Events Center, you are either referring to the "Update" and "Special Report" segments or the backstage interviews with wrestlers (which is what the Events Center replaced)

that wasn't the Events Center, you are either referring to the "Update" and "Special Report" segments or the backstage interviews with wrestlers (which is what the Events Center replaced)

You're right. I think the segment I was referring to was "WWF Spotlight". Event Center was when they hyped House Shows with generic promos from the wrestlers. I swear to God Warlord got more time in this segment than he did on regular TV

Guest HitmanHart

When Billy Gunn faced Ken Shamrock for the IC title at the 1999 Royal Rumble, most rumors had Gunn winning the belt up to the show. However, I believe I read afterwards that Shamrock was given the win because Gunn showed up late after partying all night the previous night, so the loss was a punishment for a lack of professionalism. Does anyone else remember hearing this?

In 97 did Bret Hart and Jim Neidhart have any tags together on tv or house shows? the only time I remember seeing them in any match together was at canadian stampede.

When Billy Gunn faced Ken Shamrock for the IC title at the 1999 Royal Rumble, most rumors had Gunn winning the belt up to the show. However, I believe I read afterwards that Shamrock was given the win because Gunn showed up late after partying all night the previous night, so the loss was a punishment for a lack of professionalism. Does anyone else remember hearing this?

I'm not sure about the partying, but I remember hearing a story from someone (I wanna say Luna) about how he had a blow up with management and talked himself out of a title reign.

Now here's a question:

I was watching the Benoit/Malenko vs Saturn/Raven tag match from Spring Stampede 99 and decided to look up some WCW stuff that was going on around that time (since I stopped watching it in mid 98), and I was confused as hell. There may be a logical explanation to this, but how did Saturn and Benoit go from feuding to being partners over the span of like two PPVs?

^ I believe Raven took off for ECW and a match on Nitro I think in June of 99, Flair & Benoit teamed up against DDP & Kanyon for the titles. Benoit was getting his ass beat and went for a tag as he was crawling towards Ric who had his hand out. As Benoit's hand got closer, Flair's hand slowly moved away and then he just stepped down from the apron and left him to the wolves. Arn Anderson comes out of nowhere and tries to replace Flair, but then Saturn came out of nowhere and told AA he was going to take Flair's place so Arn let him and the match continued until Perry nailed DDP I think with the DVD to win the tag team titles.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I'm looking for the full results of the MoscaMania card that Angelo Mosca promoted in Feb. 1986. Anyone have them by some off chance?

HBK losing his smile was the phrase HBK used for his "knee injury" in February 1997, causing him to forfeit the WWF Title. He had just won the belt from Sid at Royal Rumble 97, and supposedly, the plan for WM 13 was for HBK to lose the belt back to Bret Hart, returning the job that Bret did for HBK the previous year. To make a long story short, many believe that HBK decided to fake a knee injury (losing his smile, he said) rather than lose to Bret at WM 13. Many call it fake if only because for months, HBK was on Raw almost every week looking to be in perfect condition.

Shawn was meant to drop the belt back to Sid at the Tuesday Raw Special, where he did his infamous speech. Vince was panicked over the ratings, so decided to headline WM XIII with Sid v Undi for the belt, with Shawn v Bret as the semi. So Shawn, rather than do two big jobs in a row, faked a career ending injury. And yes, the career ending part of his injury was a complete fake. His knee was banged up to be sure, but it was absolutely not career ending, and was just an excuse to get out of doing a couple jobs.

Guest BrokenWings

I was watching old school USWA earlier this evening, and was excited to hear Cactus Jack was going to be on the show.

It turned out it was Cactus Jack and Matt Borne versus Jeff Jarrett and someone whom I can't recall for the tag titles. Jeff and the other guy were the champions.

Anyways, the odd thing to me was the fact Foley didn't go by Cactus Jack in this federation. The name on his tights, as well as what the announcers called him, was "Manson". Now, I've read both books, and for the life of me I can't recall him ever going by Manson.

How long did he wrestle under this for?

Anyways, the odd thing to me was the fact Foley didn't go by Cactus Jack in this federation. The name on his tights, as well as what the announcers called him, was "Manson". Now, I've read both books, and for the life of me I can't recall him ever going by Manson.

How long did he wrestle under this for?

I don't think it was for too long, or at least for too many matches that I can recall. I do know he wrestled using the name Manson at least once in WCW, as I remember hearing it used on an old Cactus Jack compilation tape from many years ago. I think it was a squash match against Steve Williams.