TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

1 - Sherri Martel was aligned with a number of men, including: Honky Tonk Man (as Peggy Sue... or so I read), Randy Savage, Ted DiBiase, Shawn Michaels, and Colonel Robert Parker, among others. Did she ever have an off-camera relationship with anyone in the business? If so, did she ever date anyone that she was managing at the time?

2a - Dustin quit/was fired from the WWF in early '99, if I remember correctly, while Terri alligned herself with Val Venis, and later went on to form PMS with Jacqueline. Were she and Dustin divorced before or after this happened?

3 - I've read rumors that there is/was heat between Jeff Jarrett and Steve Austin over Debra McMichael. Did she ever actually date Jarrett after she left Steve McMichael, or were they just close?

1. Sherri used to date Larry Zbyzsko. No clue as to when this was but a friend of mine went to a wrestling convention a few years back and both of them were there and briefly talked about it. I just found out a few days ago Sherri has a son in his late teens / early twenties.

2. Dustin and Terri split in late 97, around the same time they did on camera when Dustin became The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust.

3. The heat, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't even involve Debra. Austin had a problem with the way Jarrett referred to him on TV when Jarrett made his surprise return to Raw in October / November 97.

I think Jarrett objected to the way Austin mocked the Bible or something with the entire advent of 'Austin 3:16', and plus, Austin didn't want to work with Jeff Jarrett in 1999 in a program, though I can't say I blame him.

- Nancy Sullivan (Woman) leaving Kevin Sullivan to be with Chris Benoit.

- Jeanie Adams (Lady Blossom) leaving Chris Adams to be with Steve Austin.

- Triple H leaving Joanie Laurer (Chyna) to be with Stephanie McMahon.

Sable left Marc Mero to be with Brock Lesnar.

9 - How long have Tammy Sytch and Chris Candido been together? Has any other couple in wrestling, that is still together, been together longer?

Only one I can think of would be DDP and Kimberly.

Guest Mr. Wrestling
I think Jarrett objected to the way Austin mocked the Bible or something with the entire advent of 'Austin 3:16', and plus, Austin didn't want to work with Jeff Jarrett in 1999 in a program, though I can't say I blame him.

The heat between Austin and Jarrett goes back to the USWA. The USWA (after they merged with the Von Erich's WCCW) was owned and operated by Jerry Jarrett. Apparently, Austin got a low payoff one time and JJ happened to be around. Jarrett made a remark to Austin while he was looking at his paycheck. I think that the remark went something like "It's not going to get any bigger by looking at it." Not sure if that has anything to do with their heat though.

4. To answer the question about Chris Benoit and Nancy Sullivan. Benoit and Sullivan started dating during the angle. At least, that's what has been said.

5 - I have a match on my PC from the "King of the Hill" Tounament at the Rosemont, in '85, where Randy Savage wrestled Dynamite Kid (this was before Savage was pushed to any significant degree). Before the start of the match, Elizabeth gives Savage a peck on the cheek; this struck me as noteworthy because, to the best of my knowledge, the next time Randy and Elizabeth shared a kiss on-camera was at the Match Made in Heaven in '91, despite being married IRL that entire span of time. Were they ever caught kissing on camera at any other point between '85 and '91?

FWIW, Savage had a WWF Title match w/ Hogan in late 1985/early 1986 in MSG. Savage started posing before either made contact. Then, Hogan posed to many cheers. So Savage snapped his fingers to have Liz jump up on the apron and give him a peck on the cheek to 1up Hogan. Pretty funny.

- Nancy Sullivan (Woman) leaving Kevin Sullivan to be with Chris Benoit.

- Triple H leaving Joanie Laurer (Chyna) to be with Stephanie McMahon.

Sable left Marc Mero to be with Brock Lesnar.

She didn't leave Mero for Lesnar. Sable just started dating Lesnar during her last WWE stint. Sable and Marc Mero have been divorced for many years.

9 - How long have Tammy Sytch and Chris Candido been together? Has any other couple in wrestling, that is still together, been together longer?

Only one I can think of would be DDP and Kimberly.

When Dave Meltzer reported that Steve Austin stayed at DDP's place in LA while he was filming "The Longest Yard", he noted that DDP and Kimberly had recently broken up.

Whatever happened to Titan Sports? I remember it used to be at the bottom of the shows back in the day all the time.

Somewhere around the time they went public, it could have been up to a year earlier, they changed their corporate name from Titan Sports to WWF Entertainment, INC.

Sable and Marc Mero have been divorced for many years.

I remember Georgiann over at 1Wrestling saying they had seperated not long after Sable came back in 03. Mero posted something on his website (or posting board?) promoting Sable's return at the Smackdown after WrestleMania 19 so it was after that.

from memory they first showed it at Survivor Series 97 at the end of one of those videos they would do. It wasn't in the corner of the screen until the Rumble 98 PPV

from memory they first showed it at Survivor Series 97 at the end of one of those videos they would do. It wasn't in the corner of the screen until the Rumble 98 PPV

I just finished reading the WCW death book, and have a few questions relating to merchandising.

1. WCW never seemed to be heavy into selling their stuff on tape even during their boom period. They had the hour long tapes, but the PPVs weren't really available to the general public. They sold for close to $60 to rental places, unlike WWF stuff which was close to $20 starting in 1998 after dumping Coliseum which had the $40 price for tapes. I can't see why they wouldn't have marketed them more, unless there was a specific reason that someone may know?

2. Was DVD ever on the horizon for the company? WWF had their first discs out in mid-99 and WCW was probably still hot enough to push units.

Looking at listings for old SNME episodes, I noticed Kamala beat Jake Roberts on one in 1987. What happened to Kamala that caused him to leave the WWF in 1987 of that year, and what did he do until his return in 1992?

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Kamala's bio on obessed with wrestling doesn't help much:

titles:

NWA Southeastern Heavyweight title -as Bad News Harris-;

Southern Heavyweight title;

Texas All-Star USA 6-Man Tag Team title;

USWA Unified Heavyweight title;

GLWA (Ohio) World Heavyweight title;

IWA (Ohio) Heavyweight title;

IAW (India) Tag Team titles;

In the Beginning:

Jim Harris got his start in the business wrestling in the United Kingdom as "The Mississippi Mauler"..

1974: Jim Harris debuted in the Memphis territory using the name "Sugarbear" Harris..

Jim Harris would eventually become "Kamala - The Ugandan Headhunter" or somtimes "Giant Kimila"..

May 6, 1984 - WCCW Parade of Champions: Kamala wrestled the Great Kabuki to a double disqualification..

May 5, 1985 - WCCW Parade of Champions: Terry Gordy defeated Kamala by disqualification..

July 6, 1985 - Great American Bash: Magnum TA defeated Kamala by DQ to retain the United States title..

September 28, 1985 - AWA SuperClash: Jerry Blackwell defeated Kamala in a "bodyslam" match..

April 20, 1986 - AWA WrestleRock: Sgt Slaughter defeated Kamala by disqualification..

World Wrestling Federation I:

Kamala was managed by Mr. Fuji in the WWF and had a 'masked trainer' named Kimchee, who was often played by Steve Lombardi..

Kamala appeared on WWF's Tuesday Night Titan's with Mr. Fuji and ate a LIVE chicken!

October 4, 1986 - SNME: Kamala defeated Lanny Poffo..

December 1986 - MSG: Hulk Hogan defeated Kamala to retain the WWF title..

January 1987: Hulk Hogan defeated Kamala in a "No DQ" to retain the WWF title..

May 2, 1987 - SNME: Kamala defeated Jake Roberts..

August 28, 1987 - Paul Boesch Retirement Show: Junk Yard Dog & Tony Atlas defeated Sika & Kamala..

World Wrestling Federation II:

August 29, 1992 - SummerSlam: The Undertaker defeated Kamala by Disqualification..

November 24, 1992 - Survivor Series: The Undertaker defeated Kamala in a "Coffin" match!

World Wrestling Federation - Babyface:

1993: Kamala began to be mistreated by Kimchee, and treated like a "savage beast", giving him beatings after matches..

~~~Kamala was 'rescued' by Slick, began teaching Kamala how to act as a proper human being and had a brief face-run..

January 25, 1993 - RAW: Kamala defeated The Brooklyn Brawler..

March 15, 1993 - RAW: Kamala vs Doink the Clown ended in a Double Disqualification..

April, 11, 1993 - UK Rampage: Doink The Clown defeated Kamala..

May 17, 1993 - RAW: Yokozuna defeated Kamala..

June 28, 1993 - RAW: Shawn Michaels defeated Kamala..

In the Meantime:

Mid-90s: Kamala DID NOT wrestle in Extreme Championship Wrestling as "Uganda" -- that was Ben Peacock aka Kimila II..

World Champion Wrestling:

1995: Kamala signed with World Championship Wrestling and immediately became a member of the Dungeon of Doom..

July 16, 1995 - Bash at the Beach: Kamala defeated "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan..

August 4, 1995 - Clash of the Champions: Hulk Hogan defeated Kamala by Disqualification..

September 17, 1995 - Fall Brawl: The Hulkamaniacs beat the Dungeon of Doom in a "War Games" Cage Match..

Semi-Retirement:

Wrestlemania X-7: Kamala participated in the special "gimmick" battle royal..

January 18, 2002--Jersey All Pro Wrestling: Jerry Lawler defeats Kamala..

May 17, 2002--WXW Wrestling: Kamala defeated Meal Maniac..

June 22, 2002--International Wrestling Superstars: "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan defeated Kamala..

August 17, 2002--North American Championship: Kamala defeated The Barbarian..

November 10, 2002--All-Access Wrestling debut show: "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan defeated Kamala..

February 22, 2003--Texas All-Star Wrestling: Kamala defeated Mike Tatum..

April 12, 2003--Championship International Wrestling: Scotty Magnum defeated Kamala..

April 26, 2003--Far North Wrestling: Kamala defeated Powerhouse Hughes..

May 17, 2003--Memphis Wrestling Redebut: Jerry "The King" Lawler defeated Kimila in a 2/3 Falls Match..

May 31, 2003--East Coast Pro Wrestling: Tony Atlas defeated Kamala by DQ due to interference by several Howard Stern cast members..

August 17, 2003--All Access Wrestling: Dusty Rhodes & David Young defeated Brique St. Pierre & Kamala..

February 22, 2004--Jersey Championship Wrestling: Bam Bam Bigelow & Chris Candido defeated Kamala & Prince Nana..

April 3, 2004--International Wrestling Cartel: Jimmy Snuka wrestled Kamala to a NO CONTEST..

May 14, 2004--USA Pro Wrestling: Kamala participated in the Dick Dudley Memorial Gauntlet Match..

June 5, 2004--Christian Wrestling Federation: Kamala vs Tony Atlas ended in a DOUBLE DISQUALIFICATION..

October 2, 2004--Unknown Promotion Name: Dusty Rhodes defeated Kamala..

October 30, 2004--U of Virginia Children's Medical Center Benefit Show: Dusty Rhodes defeated Kamala..

November 6, 2004--Carolina Championship Wrestling: Jimmy Valiant defeated Kamala..

November 13, 2004--MWF Soul Survivor: Todd Hanson & Bob Orton & Beau Douglas b Kamala & Gino Martino & Executioner..

December 4, 2004--Carolina Championship Wrestling: Kamala defeated Madd Maxx..

Guest Frank_Nabbit

Here we go: http://www.midsouthwrestling.com/Kamala-1.html

After working in Texas for World Class and feuding with the Von Erichs, Harris kept a relatively low profile in the wrestling world until 1992.

"I did a lot of independent shows and went overseas," he said. "It didn't really take a whole lot for me to live. I never had a house payment and I don't live a big, extravagant life. I don't live a high life. I'm just an old country boy and that's about it."

While working for the USWA in the early '90s, Harris feuded with Lawler and Koko B. Ware and held the promotion's championship on three occasions. It was also during this time that Harris considered suing for merchandising money he felt was owed to him by the WWF for items such as action figures using his image.

"Vince called me himself to come back in 1992," he said. "I know the reason for it. He never did say it, but it was because I had contacted a lawyer and was going to sue Vince for merchandising. From 1987, when the first doll was out, to 1992 when the second doll came out I might have made $30,000 out of all those years. After I had contacted the lawyer, wanted to see all the sales and proof. That's when Vince called me up and asked me about coming back to the WWF. After I went back, my lawyer called me and said 'I see you're back in the WWF, I guess you want to discontinue' and I said yeah, we might as well

In the summer of 1993, Radio WWF started up. I believe Jim Ross hosted and Johnny Polo may have been co-host or at least was a regular on the show.

Not sure how many markets it was in but the thing only lasted 6-8 months, IIRC.

I believe it was Ross & Monsoon at Summer Slam 93, Survivor Series, and the Rumble.

I never heard the show myself but I got the impression it was a little less kayfabe than the TV programming.

According to Austin's book, Chris and Toni Adams were already married when the two met.

I remember at Royal Rumble 1994, Gorilla Monsoon and JR were doing radio coverage...what was up with that?

Radio WWF was a sydicated radio program.

I remember seeing JR and Gorilla at Summerslam and Survivor Series '93.

When they were on camera, Vince said they were braodcasting the event over radio for Armed Services Radio. I don't think you could hear the event on regular radio.

At Summerslam JR and Gorilla were in a skybox, but at Survivor Series they were sitting on the floor next to Vince and Bobby. They traded positions for a match and JR and Gorilla called the Rock 'n' roll Express vs Heavenly Bodies Match on TV while Vince and Bobbby did radio.

Guest LooneyTune

It was a give and take situation I bet. Jim Ross was still pretty good while Monsoon was boring without Heenan. Bobby Heenan was still awesome but Vince McMahon sucked.

I remember Radio WWF because for a few weeks they were listing which stations in the country were broadcasting it...there were at least a couple in Wisconsin, and I tried to pick them up, but they were too far away from me, so I never heard the program. I think they were on Saturday nights or something.

I was just watching the IYH form 9/95 and was wondering why they ran the angle where Owen didn't show up and Bulldog took his place in the match with Yoko against HBK and Nash only to have Owen come out at the end and do the job?

It didn't make sense to me.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

He was tending to his wife, who was giving birth.

Yoko and Owen would job the belts 24 hours later to the Smoking Gunns in a match that had me marking out like crazy.....

/wishes he were still a mark

Guest Frank_Nabbit

How did Sid debuet in 1989 in WCW? I have a PWI that talks about how Scott Hall, Brian Pillman and Sid Vicious have all recently signed and are "WCW wave of the future"

I have another PWI from 91 which has State Patrol, Tim Horner, Mr. Hughes and Dustin Rhodes as WCW's future.

Talk about way different draft classes!

Yoko and Owen would job the belts 24 hours later to the Smoking Gunns in a match that had me marking out like crazy.....

IIRC, the WWF and WCW tag straps changed hands a total of 8 times over the course of 2 weeks.

Owen & Yoko - Diesel & Shawn - Owen & Yoko - Gunns

Buck & Slater - Heat - American Males - Heat