TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest CookieMueller

John Tenta, if you consider his nonsensical run in WCW successful.

Ray Traylor, if you consider anything he did outside of "Big Bossman" successful. He had that Big Bubba Rogers thing with Jim Cornette going on, as well as all the other crap he did in WCW.

Krusher Kruschev / Smash / Repo-Man / Blacktop Bully / Stewart Pain / Barry Darsow!!!

oh wait you said successful... well the Russians were pretty hated and Demolition were awesome, Repo-Man cracked me up and... no I can't say anything nice about the last 3 personas

How could ya not like "Mr. Hole in One" Barry Darsow?!? Making Barry Horowitz try to put his way to victory was gold.

Horowitz: I can't put w/ that! I'm left-handed.

Darsow: THEN YA SHOULDA BROUGHT YOUR OWN CLUBS!!!

When did the Beserker, Barbarian, and the Warlord leave WWF, and when did they show up in WCW?

The Powers of Pain were gone from the WWF in early 1992. I think in Warlord's case it definately had something to do with the steroid testing.

Barbarian showed up in WCW that spring and was one-half of the last US Tag Team Champions alongside Greg Valentine. He then had a brief main event push against Ron Simmons that fall and was pushed down the roster late 92/early 93 and left again.

A few years later, Barbarian & Warlord showed up on the 1/1/96 Nitro as the masked "Super Assassins", managed by Col. Parker, and were squashed by Sting & Luger.

After that Barbarian teamed up with Meng once more (Barbarian/Haku - what do you mean they weren't HUGE in the WWF?) and they formed the "Faces of Fear"

Which I kinda dug as a team at least initially

Well, Faces of Fear were a team in WCW, not WWF, but everything else is basically right. IIRC, Barbarian also came back to WWF in like '93 or '94 as "Sionne" and teamed with Fatu as the Headshrinkers (after Samu left for some reason). Haku and Barbarian were also briefly a team in WWF in the early '90s, managed by Bobby Heenan (after Fuji had broken up the Powers of Pain by selling their contracts).

Well they WERE a team in the WWF too - just not given a name, you even say so yourself - they teamed in the WWF. I never said they were the "Faces of Fear" in the WWF, I said they "Formed the Faces of Fear in WCW"

Krusher Kruschev / Smash / Repo-Man / Blacktop Bully / Stewart Pain / Barry Darsow!!!

oh wait you said successful... well the Russians were pretty hated and Demolition were awesome, Repo-Man cracked me up and... no I can't say anything nice about the last 3 personas

How could ya not like "Mr. Hole in One" Barry Darsow?!? Making Barry Horowitz try to put his way to victory was gold.

Horowitz: I can't put w/ that! I'm left-handed.

Darsow: THEN YA SHOULDA BROUGHT YOUR OWN CLUBS!!!

So I'm not the only one who liked the so called Stewart Payne?

Along with Repo Man, I'm a huge Darsow mark.

Why did Austin squash the Big Show on the Raw before WrestleMania 15 if the plan was going to have them square off at WrestleMania 16?

I believe it was Kevin Kelly on his shoot that said it happened because Austin was paranoid about being knocked from his top spot.

Alright, I've got a couple questions related to each other, I've heard that The Brothers of Destruction were supposed to face Haku and Rikishi at WrestleMania XVII. But it obviously got replaced by Triple H Vs The Undertaker. Now why did it get replaced by that? Was it because there was nobody else interesting to feud with Triple H for the biggest show of the year? Or was it because Vince thought the Brothers of Destruction Vs Samoans match would suck?

Second thought, what were the Samoans doing during WrestleMania? Less than six months earlier, Rikishi was in one of the biggest angles of the year and now he wasn't even involved in the card. Did injuried keep them off the card

Here's an excerpt from John Petrie that kind of gives us an example of a booking layout that WWE was thinking at the time

"It seems a natural that the Rock will win the title this Sunday at No Way

Out and go on to face Austin at WrestleMania. It wouldn't surprise me,

though, if Angle actually managed to retain the belt. I also wouldn't be

surprised if Austin's titleshot was put on the line in his match against

Triple H. Then the Rock gets involved in that match, and somehow costs

Austin the win. Austin is pissed, and the match between he and the Rock

takes place as planned, but without the title. Angle would then defend the

belt against Triple H, the WWF finally going back and resolving that love

triangle storyline with Stephanie. Everyone gets the match they want to see,

while Triple H--the Smartest Man in Wrestling--gets to compete at

WrestleMania for the championship in the co-main event. I hope one of these

two things happen, because otherwise I fear Triple H is going to worm his

way into the Austin/Rock match, making it a three-way."

http://rspw.org/petrie/010219.txt

It kinda ties into the theory that Taker already had a program with the Island Boys, and that Angle and hHh would square off, and Austin/Rock. I actually like how X-7 turned out, (even though the main event is barely a **** match, people have overrated it into a ***** match).

Rikishi was injured. But I was answering a question I read that was actually from 2 months ago and happened to be quoted in a more recent reply, so if someone on another page already gave that answer, sorry.

What was the deal with the Funk-Scorpio team which for some reason became Faarooq-Scorpio vs Bradshaw-Funk seemingly at the flick of a switch?

Scorpio and Funk were both gone before the Acolytes started, right?

Also, was there ever a Union break-up? MY buddies and I were marks for them, and despite watching Raw every week, basically remember marking huge one week, not seeing them for 3 or 4 months, then saying to one another on a July 99ish Raw "Hey, I guess they're done as the Union" when Shamrock and Mankind were on opposite teams both as faces....

Funk and Scorpio are still honestly among my five favourite teams ever, actually.

I think when the Corporate Ministry dissolved from within itself and the whole McMahon feud agnle towards Wrestlemania 2000, it Squandered itself away. I never knew Test was part of the Union until Wrestlemania 2000 came out for the N64.

Guest 1916
What was the deal with the Funk-Scorpio team which for some reason became Faarooq-Scorpio vs Bradshaw-Funk seemingly at the flick of a switch?

Funk and Scorpio are still honestly among my five favourite teams ever, actually.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Scorpio/ Flash Funk the same person?

EDIT:

TERRY! Terry Funk! Obviously! What was I thinking? Disregard my last question. Chalk it up to being stoned ay 2am. Sorry dude.

Guest 1916

To keep the thread going, heres a question. I stopped watching WCW in 1999 and never figured this out. Who in the wide blue fuck was the hummer driver????

Been bugging me for years.

How was Sapphire introduced as the manager of Dusty Rhodes? I've been watching the 1989 Survivor Series and noticed she shown in the crowd during Dusty's match and was wondering how she went from fan to manager.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

She was in attendence at a SNME, Distracted Slick when he was about to interfere, Bossman turned around to yell at her and Dusty rolled him up 1-2-3

After bossman got in her face and Dusty made the save, then they danced in the ring

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Scorpio/ Flash Funk the same person?

EDIT:

TERRY! Terry Funk! Obviously! What was I thinking? Disregard my last question. Chalk it up to being stoned ay 2am. Sorry dude.

Just for fun, Charles Scaggs is his real name. Apparently he has a freakishly big penis.

Anyone else?

To keep the thread going, heres a question. I stopped watching WCW in 1999 and never figured this out. Who in the wide blue fuck was the hummer driver????

Been bugging me for years.

In a roundabout way, it was revealed to be Bischoff. They never directly said it, but the fact Bischoff showed up to a show driving a black hummer, I always thought was WCW's way of tying up a loose end.

It was also implied that Lex Luger was the driver as well...

How did Oscar (MOM's manager) get hired by the WWF? I've seen him sitting in the crowd at some events before he started...he was in the aisleway at WM9, and during the battle royal on the Invasion of the Bodyslammers CV tape, he's sitting right behind the announce booth.

I noticed the conversation about Darsow, he has a match on this tape against Tatanka, and he's always yelling during his matches. Tatanka has him in an armbar, and he yells out C'MON MAN, EASE UP, YOU'RE BREAKIN' IT!

Another match Earthquake (I think) has him in some similar kind of hold, and pulls him to the mat, Repo yells WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAITAMINUTE!!!!!

Kind of like Iron Mike Sharpe, though I haven't seen much of Sharpe

Was Razor Ramon the first guy to regularly use a chokeslam in the WWF as a trademark move? (Before Taker and others?)

I remember Razor using a modified urinage, not so much a chokeslam.

Has anyone seen the skit where Gorilla Monsoon throws Bobby Heenan out of the arena on Raw? Was it a comedy skit? Or an emotional one? If anyone can describe it in depth, it would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone seen the skit where Gorilla Monsoon throws Bobby Heenan out of the arena on Raw? Was it a comedy skit? Or an emotional one? If anyone can describe it in depth, it would be greatly appreciated.

WWF @ White Plains, NY - Westchester County Civic Center - November 29, 1993 (3,000)

Monday Night Raw taping:

12/6/93 - included a closing segment in which Gorilla Monsoon came ringside, grabbed Bobby Heenan by the shirt, and threw him and his bags out of the arena; Heenan scrambled around to put all his belongings back in the bag before giving a tearful salute as the show faded to black (Heenan's last appearance for over 7 years)

It was largely comedic until that last bit from Heenan. Heenan and Monsoon had intensified their on-screen rivalry in the weeks leading up to this.

I remember the Corporate Ministry was being teased breaking up because of Undertaker / HHH having a power struggle. Did a match result between the two?

I remember the Corporate Ministry was being teased breaking up because of Undertaker / HHH having a power struggle. Did a match result between the two?

A brief synopsis of the HHH / Taker rivalry:

WWF @ Worcester, MA - Centrum - June 8, 1999

Raw

The Rock defeated WWF World Champion the Undertaker and Triple H (w/ Chyna) by pinning Triple H with the Rock Bottom after interference from Chyna backfired - causing the Undertaker and Triple H to fight each other before the pinfall occured; after the bout, the two continued to brawl until the Corporate Ministry broke it up

WWF @ Nashville, TN - Arena - June 20, 1999 (12,651; sell out)

Sunday Night Heat - shown live - featured Jim Ross conducting an in-ring interview with Triple H & Chyna in which Chyna spoke about her participation in the King of the Ring tournament and Triple H explained why he gave Chyna his spot in the KOTR by explaining he wanted the WWF World Title instead; Triple H then made a challenge to whomever the WWF Champion would be after the KOTR, regardless of if it was the Undertaker or the Rock; included JR conducting an in-ring interview with WWF World Champion the Undertaker, with Paul Bearer, regarding his upcoming title defense against the Rock at the KOTR as well as the recent challenge from Triple H; upon being asked about Triple H, Taker put a choke on JR for trying to start trouble

Chyna (w/ Triple H) pinned Billy Gunn at 1:46 after Triple H caused Gunn to fall over the top, as he attempted the Fameasser, then hit the Pedigree on the floor; after the bout, the Undertaker came out and brawled with Triple H until Viscera, Mideon, the Big Bossman, and the Acolytes came out to break the two men apart

WWF @ Memphis, TN - Pyramid - June 21, 1999 (15,757; sell out)

Raw

WWF World Champion the Undertaker defeated Triple H (w/ Chyna) via disqualification when the Rock interfered and hit the Rock Bottom on the champion

How did Oscar (MOM's manager) get hired by the WWF? I've seen him sitting in the crowd at some events before he started...he was in the aisleway at WM9, and during the battle royal on the Invasion of the Bodyslammers CV tape, he's sitting right behind the announce booth.

He was performing in Las Vegas at the same time the WWF was in town for WM 9. Vince saw him, liked him, and hired him on the spot. Very similar to how Jameson got his job. Vince and Linda saw him perform at some sort of theater and Vince went backstage and hired him on the spot.

Didn't HHH and UT have a match on Raw around that time period? It was the show where Austin fought the Bossman for something, Bossman lost and got kicked out of the Corporation for a week.

Was Razor Ramon the first guy to regularly use a chokeslam in the WWF as a trademark move? (Before Taker and others?)

I remember Razor using a modified urinage, not so much a chokeslam.

It's spelt urinaji, I don't care what you say.

Anyone know where I can find a logo of the 97 Hart Foundation? I'd love the Hart logo as a tattoo, but I recall the same logo with a maple leaf backdrop, which would be even better.

I'm not imaginging this, am I?