TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

At the Survivor Series, it'll be STONE...COLD...STEVE AUSTIN against THE BEST THERE IS...(Austin looks angry)...THE BEST THERE WAS (Austin looks angrier)...AND THE BEST (Austin jumps Pillman).

Great promo, and it helped plant the seeds to help add one of the best talents our generation has ever seen into my all time favourite stable.

My favorite Austin/Pillman WWF moment was when Bret announced on RAW, during his "I'll be with the WWF forever" return speech, that he would fight Austin at SSeries 96. Austin was watching on a monitor in the back, with Pillman behind him. As soon as Bret said "Stone Cold Steve Austin", Pillman started jumping up and down and clapping. Austin very slowly turned around and gave him the most pissed off look--I laughed hysterically at that.

I can remember the ring ropes being ABSURDLY loose for WrestleMania I. It was like the ring crew had just threaded them through the turnbuckles and didn't even bother to tighten them.

Here's one I don't understand: I know Shawn no-showed No Way Out 1998 because of his "bad back", but how did they come to the decision to replace him with Savio Vega? He definitely wouldn't be my first choice. Why not The Rock, or maybe even sticking Chyna in there?

Wasn't Savio inserted into the 1994 King of the Ring as well? Why was he the go-to guy twice? He wasn't exactly setting the world on fire or anything.

Here's one I don't understand: I know Shawn no-showed No Way Out 1998 because of his "bad back", but how did they come to the decision to replace him with Savio Vega? He definitely wouldn't be my first choice. Why not The Rock, or maybe even sticking Chyna in there?

I can remember the announcers mentionning the history between Savio & Austin, hence his inclusion.

I can remember the announcers mentionning the history between Savio & Austin, hence his inclusion.

yea, plus los boricuas had been loose alllies of dx for awhile (even interfereing at rumble during the casket match)

I was just watching the Bret dvd main program and it shows Bret announcing his return and Pillamn jumping and clapping pretty funny yea, plus a seed planted that Pillman likes Bret maybe. actually you'd think the attack on Pillman would mean a face turn for him at the time (I did at least), but Austin wound up the face after mania

In the fall of 2001, they had weeks and weeks of sexual innuendo laced vignettes with Stephanie McMahon coming on to RVD . They were even mentioning it on commentary trying to make a big deal out of it. Then all of a sudden the angle was dropped and it was completely forgotten. Was it supposed to lead to something?

In the fall of 2001, they had weeks and weeks of sexual innuendo laced vignettes with Stephanie McMahon coming on to RVD . They were even mentioning it on commentary trying to make a big deal out of it. Then all of a sudden the angle was dropped and it was completely forgotten. Was it supposed to lead to something?

oh yea I remember that. Weird that it neverf lead to anything (then again neither did the kiss between Steph and Eri cBischoff, on the halloween 02 episdoe of SD)

I always thought it was used just to further Jericho's opinion that Steph was a slut since Jericho and RVD were feuding up to Unforgiven.

I always thought it was used just to further Jericho's opinion that Steph was a slut since Jericho and RVD were feuding up to Unforgiven.

yea thats probably it.

When did they phase out The Fink as the main announcer for WWF/E?

Also, my memory is a bit foggy but how did they justify Jericho and Stephanie hooking up in the buildup to WM X8 after their war of words just months earlier?

Guest Fook
Also, my memory is a bit foggy but how did they justify Jericho and Stephanie hooking up in the buildup to WM X8 after their war of words just months earlier?

They didn't really. They basically had Jericho come out and say that he didn't really mean all the nasty things he had said about Steph in the past and that he respected her. Then she came out and said that she wanted to be in his corner at Wrestlemania because he was facing HHH and she wanted to ensure that HHH wouldn't win (HHH and Steph has just had their on-screen marriage end the previous week).

That could have been such a brilliant feud if they booked it right, and gotten both men over huge going into the remainder of 2002. They totally missed the boat on addressing the backstory between the two.

When did they phase out The Fink as the main announcer for WWF/E?

Wrestlemania 22. He announced the HOF segment, but that was it. Beforehand, he did all the announcing for the previous Wrestlemania at least.

IIRC it was more like

Stephanie: I hate HHH!

Jericho: I hate HHH too!

Basically, it was two people who don't like each other that teamed up to take on a common enemy.

I have a question, when a wrestler wins a championship. does that person get to keep the belt 24/7 or only uses it during events, I mean do they get to take the belt home with them, when they are not performing????

I have a question, when a wrestler wins a championship. does that person get to keep the belt 24/7 or only uses it during events, I mean do they get to take the belt home with them, when they are not performing????

They sure do.

They sure do.

It depends on the promotion. I'm sure WWE allows the champions toc arry the belts with them since they're all under written contracts, but a lot of smaller promotions will keep the belts themselves to make sure that, should a wrestler decide to leave the company as champion, they at least have the physical belt in possession.

They used to in WWE, but after Madusa dumped her title belt in the bin on a live Nitro, they got paranoid about it happening again and so the belt stays with someone else, usually a road agent, in between events. They can still get lost from time to time, though.

They used to in WWE, but after Madusa dumped her title belt in the bin on a live Nitro, they got paranoid about it happening again and so the belt stays with someone else, usually a road agent, in between events. They can still get lost from time to time, though.

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought (in WWE/F at least) they took it home because I've read many interviews were wrestlers talked about having the belt at home. I specifically remember Austin talking about that, although that could've been an exception at the time.

I was watching a 88 house show on 24/7 today and I heard Superstar Graham point out that a wrestler (I believe it was Jim Brunzell) can go outside to take a breather of up to 20 seconds. Was this a mistake on his part, or did WWE not always have the out of ring 10 count? I always assumed the 20 count was in video games due them being made in Japan, not based on something that actually existed in the company.

Edge said when he won the IC title in 99, he set it on top of the TV in his hotel room and stared at it.

Edge said when he won the IC title in 99, he set it on top of the TV in his hotel room and stared at it.

I'm sure they got less worried about a Madusa repeat once it became clear that WCW was somewhere nobody wanted to go anymore.

The funny thing is that WWE didn't even bother doing anything as revenge when they brought back Haku while Haku was still the WCW Hardcore champion and he still had the belt.

Anyone know why the 1990 WWF IC Title tournament was so rushed? I mean in the first round Tito Santana beat Akeem and then Brutus Beefcake and Dino Bravo went to a draw (thanks to Perfect). Perfect then beat Snuka and we got another draw with Piper-Martel. Were they just trying to protect everyone in this tournament or what because as a young mark I gave Santana NO chance at winning this match since he just jobbed to Barbarian at WM 6 and had been dominated by Rick Martel in their feud.

I have the final match of that tournament on the WWF Battle of the Superstars 1990 tape and Jesse Ventura is hilarious during that match telling Vince that "Chico" is fighting "Tiajuana style" and that back in his marine days people called him the "Prince of Tiajuana." Match is decent but the commentary is absolute gold thanks to Ventura.

Anyone know why the 1990 WWF IC Title tournament was so rushed? I mean in the first round Tito Santana beat Akeem and then Brutus Beefcake and Dino Bravo went to a draw (thanks to Perfect). Perfect then beat Snuka and we got another draw with Piper-Martel. Were they just trying to protect everyone in this tournament or what because as a young mark I gave Santana NO chance at winning this match since he just jobbed to Barbarian at WM 6 and had been dominated by Rick Martel in their feud.

I have the final match of that tournament on the WWF Battle of the Superstars 1990 tape and Jesse Ventura is hilarious during that match telling Vince that "Chico" is fighting "Tiajuana style" and that back in his marine days people called him the "Prince of Tiajuana." Match is decent but the commentary is absolute gold thanks to Ventura.

Didn't they use a tag title when Perfect won? I think I remember seeing that. I know the WWF Magazine that reprted Perfect's win had either a really weird angle where you couldn't see the belt or it had a really bad editing job in an attempt to stick the IC belt in after the fact. Was there any reason for this, like the Warrior losing the belt prior to the tournament?

Didn't they use a tag title when Perfect won? I think I remember seeing that. I know the WWF Magazine that reprted Perfect's win had either a really weird angle where you couldn't see the belt or it had a really bad editing job in an attempt to stick the IC belt in after the fact. Was there any reason for this, like the Warrior losing the belt prior to the tournament?

Good observation and I forgot to ask about this too. It's definitely a tag team title belt and its funny how the camera IMMEDIATELY cuts away when Heenan takes the belt from Perfect and thrusts it into the air. On the tape I have I believe there is a lot of piped in crowd noise because the boos appear too loud for the arena the match was held in.

Speaking of Jesse and Tito, was there any reasoning behind him always calling him "Chico" Santana? I always found it hilarious, but I never knew why. Was it just so that Gorilla could correct him?

Here an odd one: At the end of WrestleMania 9, after Hogan has won the belt from Yoko, there's a closeup of him in the ring, and he says something that I still haven't been able to make out, nor understand. Something like, "It's not the best, with Mother Nature....YOU!" I could definitely hear "Mother Nature", but don't know about the rest. I don't know why I'm even asking, but it's always driven me nuts, because Hogan had to have known he was being heard at that moment. Anyone know, or care?

On top of that, at SSeries 93, Jim Cornette cuts a promo for The Foreign Fanatics, I can't remember how it went, but I remember it being pretty good. However, in the middle of it, it sounds likes he says "Fuck" or "Fucking" when he insults Todd Pettengill. Did anybody else ever notice that? I'm sure I must be hearing otherwise. Can anybody clarify this?

Here an odd one: At the end of WrestleMania 9, after Hogan has won the belt from Yoko, there's a closeup of him in the ring, and he says something that I still haven't been able to make out, nor understand. Something like, "It's not the best, with Mother Nature....YOU!" I could definitely hear "Mother Nature", but don't know about the rest. I don't know why I'm even asking, but it's always driven me nuts, because Hogan had to have known he was being heard at that moment. Anyone know, or care?

I'm pretty shure he says "I told you not to mess with Mother Nature! Whoo!"

Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

I thought Haku gave the belt to a friend in WCW (Barbarian?) before leaving.

You are correct.