TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I've never wondered why they didn't run with Hogan as the "old has-been" have him lose a couple matches to some big name young guys to where he's questioning if he still has it, and then he gets an impromptu title shot when the heel champion goads him and taunts him. The match is your typical Hogan gets his ass kicked for 20 minutes but instead of making the comeback, bootleg,leg drop finish, you have him just keep getting his ass kick and every time he tries to "Hulk up" he gets beat back down, but slowly he starts coming back, and he wins, with like an Axe bomber or something out of the ordinary. I just think seeing Hogan barely eek out a win would humanize the character who has been booked to be Superman for the last 25 years

I've never wondered why they didn't run with Hogan as the "old has-been" have him lose a couple matches to some big name young guys to where he's questioning if he still has it, and then he gets an impromptu title shot when the heel champion goads him and taunts him. The match is your typical Hogan gets his ass kicked for 20 minutes but instead of making the comeback, bootleg,leg drop finish, you have him just keep getting his ass kick and every time he tries to "Hulk up" he gets beat back down, but slowly he starts coming back, and he wins, with like an Axe bomber or something out of the ordinary. I just think seeing Hogan barely eek out a win would humanize the character who has been booked to be Superman for the last 25 years

Hogan would never have allowed himself to be portrayed as a has-been. Hogan did do jobs on his 2002 run on Smackdown, and it was probably too many for someone of his stature. Hogan certainly thought so, as after he put Brock Lesnar over with the bear hug stoppage, he said 'no mas' to jobs, which is why they never rematched. In fact, at Survivor Series that year it was intended to be Lesnar vs. Hogan on top, with Lesnar going over, and when Hogan refused, Big Show was put in the spot. As for humanizing, I don't think it would ever happen, because Hogan wouldn't want to be portrayed as anything less than special.

It was Yokozuna squashing some guy harder than normal with the Banzai drop.

But more importantly, the maker of the Botchamania series has had his account suspended at YouTube! That's why the video didn't work.

It wasn't right on his face, but it was pretty close. It kind of looked like Yoko landed on the back of his heels, then just slipped on impact and crushed the guy. But then he seemed to sit on him for quite a while after doing it, so I thought maybe he was pissed at the guy over something.

Damn that guy got messed up. Now that I think about it, he didn't do the bonzai drop all that much after his title reign from 93-94. After losing to Bret @ WM 10 he didn't really have many more wins on TV until he teamed with Owen. I'm sure they got a win or two with it during their tag title reign, but I know Owen got a couple of the pins & he also started beating people just with the leg drop at that point. & then once he bcamse a face I don't think he ever won.

Summer of 99 in WWF ?'s

1.What was the deal with Shamrock not wrestling Jarrett for IC title @ FL? Did Shamrock really miss the show in Canada the night before or was Edge supposed to fight Jarrett & win?

2.Did Edge & Gangrel ever have a proper blowoff?

3.How did Michael Hayes join with the Hardys?

Summer of 99 in WWF ?'s

3.How did Michael Hayes join with the Hardys?

IIRC, Dok Hendrix was in the ring to interview somebody, and he was given a bloodbath (remember those?) by The Brood. Since the Hardys were feuding with the Brood, Dok became mentors to them as Michaek Hayes.

The kid in that video is mouthing something to either yoko or the referee after the match when Yoko is still sitting on him like "Get him off of me". It almost looks like he's trying to muscle Yoko up a bit.

1. About Shamrock, I think he missed his flight. I don't remember anything on the internet saying he was in trouble or that they planned the Edge title change. Too bad Edge held it for a day or twon.

2. I remember Gangrel turning on Edge and Christian but they never had a match on PPV, as far as I know.

After the bloodbath, Hayes simply introduced the Hardys as his new team. They had a new look and basically reborn after their official debut in 98 as WWF contracted wrestlers.

Edge lost the title the day after he won it, at Fully Loaded 99, thanks to Gangrel's interference. Also on the ppv, The Hardy and Hayes lost a handicap match and the tag titles to the Acolytes, which directly led to the Hardys dumping Hayes and joining the New Brood.

I think they had Edge win the title at the house show so that he could lose it the next night on ppv. They were going for a deal where all the champions would lose their titles leading up to the main event. This was to tease that Austin would also lose his title to The Undertaker.

They still wanted Jarrett to be I-C champ, so they had Edge win it the night before.

You often hear Hogan's legdrop finish being referred to online as the Atomic Legdrop. Did any wrestling company even refer to it as that, because I'm drawing a blank on where that name came from exactly...

Did Danny Bonaduce & Christopher Knight really wrestle a dark match @ Spring Stampede 1994?

If so, was there any build to this & why a dark match? I'm sure the match sucked, but knowing WCW & there love for celebrities on PPV, you would think they would've put this one on before the main event.

I'm not even sure if this match happened but if it did, it wasn't like WCW were spreading their legs for celebrities at this time. It was probably a local shtick for the Chicago market. If it was 1999-2000, then yeah you've got a ppv main event right there.

Yeah you're right, 94 was not their big celebrity year. Plus from what i've read, Spring Stampede 94 was a great PPV so they had plenty of talent to use then to waste it on garbage.

IIRC, Bonaduce was hosting a radio show in Chicago at the time. Maybe WCW thought that the average wrestling fan wouldn't give a crap about a match between the two and this was long before both of those guys minor career revivals so it wasn't exactly going to draw in a lot of casual fans.

'Course this doesn't really explain why WCW put not just one but two Mancow matches on PPVs.

Yeah, they felt the blue cage looked better on TV and enabled the fans to see the match better. I think Vince even patented that particular cage design.

I kind of wish they would still use it once in a while. Maybe they could use it "exclusively on Smackdown" to kind of differentiate the shows a little more.

When/why did they go back to the mesh? I remember Foley, in his first book, describing one of his most painful injuries was being hit in the head and shoulder with the door of the old-school cage at Summerslam '97. I'm sure he wasn't the only one.

I always liked the blue bar cage way better. It seemed like it would do actual damage if a wrestler was thrown into it, the bars didn't have any give. Everyone know getting thrown into aluminum fencing dosn't really hurt at all.

When/why did they go back to the mesh?

Must have been somewhere around about 1999. But the last one with the steel bars I know of was one Edge and Christian had in England in 2001, Rebellion I think.

Edited by King Cucaracha