TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

I know this has probably been discussed, but has a winner or major person in a Royal Rumble match or even a regular battle royal, ever been eliminated before they were supposed to be?

I know this has probably been discussed, but has a winner or major person in a Royal Rumble match or even a regular battle royal, ever been eliminated before they were supposed to be?

Randy Savage (a very major person at the time) clearly accidentally eliminated himself from the 1992 Royal Rumble before he was supposed to. He then got back in the ring and eventually the commentators said that was OK because he went over the top on his own which doesn't count as an elimination (or some such nonsense).

Randy Savage (a very major person at the time) clearly accidentally eliminated himself from the 1992 Royal Rumble before he was supposed to. He then got back in the ring and eventually the commentators said that was OK because he went over the top on his own which doesn't count as an elimination (or some such nonsense).

OK, yeah, that was right. He kind of left the announcers with no good way of covering it, so you can't blame them for that. I mean, it was totally blatant that the rules were being disregarded for Savage.

When was Yokozuna actually let go by the WWF? The last TV appearance I can remember was at Survivor Series 96, but he was still mentioned afterwards and into 1997.

I don't think they actually fired him for a while...they were hoping he'd lose some weight and get healthy again. That didn't happen, and he was either fired or his contract ran out. I remember them still mentioning him in promos and stuff after S.Series '96.

Does anyone remember the backbreaker Bobby Eaton used to use where he would lift you up like he was going to give you a rydeen bomb, but then turn you horizontal and drop you in a backbreaker??? I used to love that move, but I never saw anyone ever do it again. Does it have a name??

I don't think they actually fired him for a while...they were hoping he'd lose some weight and get healthy again. That didn't happen, and he was either fired or his contract ran out. I remember them still mentioning him in promos and stuff after S.Series '96.

Wikipedia, my number one source for all wrestling information:

He would appear at one more WWF pay-per-view, still going after Vader in the 1996 Survivor Series, but that match ended with all remaining wrestlers being disqualified. Yokozuna stayed on the WWF roster for a while afterwards, as he worked to lose the weight that he had put on. Despite dropping a reported 100 pounds (45 kg), though, he still could not lose enough to satisfy the WWF officials. He was unable to pass a physical required for professional wrestlers by the New York State Athletic Commission and was eventually released from the WWF in 1998, although rumours persisted for many years that he would be brought back if he lost enough weight.

Wasn't this essentially what happened 2 years ago with Cena and Batista accidentally going over the top and screwing up the planned finish of the match?

Bit of a pointless question...

Undertaker v Mankind, i think Executioner and Paul Bearer were there in a cage or something. Taker comes to the ring with some new attire, an all leather outfit. Although it looked slightly Village People, I did mark for it at the time, maybe i was in the closet or something. But the next time I was the taker he wasn't wearing the leather stuff.

So my question is... why did he drop the gay leather outfit?

I think you just answered your own question.

Wasn't this essentially what happened 2 years ago with Cena and Batista accidentally going over the top and screwing up the planned finish of the match?

I don't remember hearing that. My recollection was that the restart was supposed last for a few minutes, but they were running so long on time that Batista just desrtoyed Cena and threw him out after about 30 seconds.

I think you just answered your own question.

I don't remember hearing that. My recollection was that the restart was supposed last for a few minutes, but they were running so long on time that Batista just desrtoyed Cena and threw him out after about 30 seconds.

I also recall the story going around that there was problems with the ending, but most reports I heard were of the "it only went 30 seconds" variety. I later read in a book (World Wrestling Insanity, I think, and I assume the author whose name I am forgetting was reading some sort of newsletter) that the double elimination was not supposed to happen, which is why Vince stormed out there in a huff and tore his quads.

Odd question, but I'm looking to see a pic/video of the Super Ninja, the guy the Ultimate Warrior defeated on a SNME in November 1988 or 89. It was Rip Oliver under a mask, if that helps. Thanks in advance!

Was it Rip Oliver? Wiki has the Super Ninja listed as the Great Muta - btw I saw that match on YouTube a while back.

Something tells me the NWA TV champion was not a SNME jobber for Warrior. 'Super Ninja' is a fairly generic handle, I wouldn't be susprised if several wrestlers have used it over the years.

Something tells me the NWA TV champion was not a SNME jobber for Warrior. 'Super Ninja' is a fairly generic handle, I wouldn't be susprised if several wrestlers have used it over the years.
Considering the SNME match was taped in like November 88 he wasn't actually the TV champ at the time (he held it from Sep 89 to 90) it could technically be him, he had also competed as "the Ninja" in small time indies in 1987-88 where he was unmasked. I'll find the tape and see if it looks like Muta's posture/size/style

Guest JohnFTW

No, I'm pretty sure it was Rip Oliver. It was just a one time thing and someone to gain a measure of revenge against the Warrior.

My question is that, if the double elimination wasn't planned for the 2005 finish, why did they do it? It definitely looked planned, at least to me. I figured the reason Vince stormed out and restarted it was because it would be like he is giving the fans what they wanted instead of a screwy finish, so he wanted a real finish, in a kayfabe sort of way. It looked good the way it was, but I have a hard time believing the double elimination wasn't supposed to happen.

IIRC Batista was supposed to win the 2005 Royal Rumble, but he fucked up going over the rope with Cena as well as the finish -- watching the footage closely, Batista hits the floor before Cena does making Cena "the unofficial winner" ala Big Show in 2000 therefore McMahon had to go out there on a whim and order the restart to make sure Batista was the winner.

Somebody mentioned last year that Animal was supposed to win the Heat Rumble at WM 22, but he got eliminated and everybody in the ring had an "Oh shit!" reaction to it.

Because everyone manages themselves one time or another?

:)

obviously he means why was Love Undertakers manager at first. I have no idea. I guess they wanted him to be a manager? Or they had yet to sign Paul Bearer.

That's probably right - they wanted him to have a manager but they didn't have something else in place right away. Or maybe they thought Brother Love would work but found out that it wasn't the right combo and then hired Pringle.

I think they were going for the irony of someone named "Love" managing a zombie monster, but I could be wrong.

BTW, what the hell was the deal with Brother Love anyway? I never found him funny, or entertaining, and as a kid I just didn't get the character. I just found him annoying, really.

BTW, what the hell was the deal with Brother Love anyway? I never found him funny, or entertaining, and as a kid I just didn't get the character. I just found him annoying, really.

That was the point. He was supposed to be annoying. I think they just wanted a heel interviewer that wouldn't upstage the wrestlers.