TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest MideonMark

Most overrated films of all time

Guest MideonMark

Ok, so I was thinking what to put as my next Top 5 list in my sig(some of you may have noticed that I have started doing these recently, but you probably haven't cause I'm not exactly the most well known of members nor do I post that often. I had something like 120 posts since March 30th 2002, until the Forum St. Crash 2003) and I came up with the Top 5 Most Overrated Films of All Time. But then I started thinking about what to write, and realised it just wouldn't fit in the sig, so thats where this thread comes in. Now this will no longer be a Top 5 list and it you'll notice that 'Of All Time' only goes as far back as 1997, but thats because I'd be here all night trying to think back through the analogues of history and these were the first films came into my head. I'll maybe add more later, and please feel free to add some.

Jesus, that was one long ass introduction, I think I better make the list now(for the 2 people that are still reading)-

-Titanic-

Right so, a big ass boat that the designers thought was unsinkable sets sail on its maiden voyage, crashes into an iceberg and sinks, resulting in the tragic death of over 1000 people. There you go, theres your story, so what does James Cameron do, he sticks a truly heartwarming lovestory(and I mean that it was truly heartwarming...ok your sarcasm detectors should be detecting something right now) between two completely dislikable characters right slap bang in the middle of it. The result of this trash is the Academy throwing Oscars at it like confetti(I think it was 12 in total, thats right 12 fucking Oscars for this crap). Now remember this film was released in 1997, the same year as the FAR superior LA Confidential, but was that awarded the Best Picture Oscar, was it hell. I HATE this film so much, and don't even get me started on Cameron's ego stroking Oscar winning speech('I'm the King of the World!'). Now I may not like this film at all, but it made something like $1 billion worldwide, and a shitload of people went to see it, most more than once(Granted about $750 million was made from teenage girls who thought Leonardo DiCaprio was hot, even though he looked underage in this film).

-Chicago-

Ok, when I saw this was nominated for Best Picture Oscar, I just thought it was a slow year in the film industry(a very, very slow year) and then it went and won the fucking thing. Now I may be mistaken, but wasn't 'Road to Perdition' released in the same year(last year that is, although Chicago may have been released this year, but nonetheless, there were both in the running for Best Picture at this years Oscars) which is again a FAR superior film to this trash. Chicago's case isn't by the fact that Renee Zellwegger(sp?) and Catherine Zeta Jones were both in it, and I hate both so much(for may reasons, but the main ones being that they come across as having huge egos and they're both very obnoxious. I also dislike CZJ for the immortal line and I'm paraphrasing now '£1 million may be a lot of money to most people but its not to us) and have hated any film either have been in(Ok in CZJ case I liked 'Traffic' but she wasn't in it enough to annoy me). I won't even start on Richard Geres embarassingly awful performance in this film(just terrible). The only redeeming thing in this film was Queen Latifah who I thought was pretty good in it and I also kind of dig her(in a 'Who do you find oddly attractive' kind of way).

Damn this post is too long, but for the 1 person still reading, I'll go on(or as Magnus Magnusson would say 'I've started so I'll finish')

-Gladiator-

Yeah thats right, I'm including 'Gladiator', based on what reason you might ask, well based on the reason that its hugely overrated. Aside from the fight scenes(which are also quite overrated although still good), this is 3 odd hours of boredom. Russell Crowe got a lot of praise for this, despite the fact that he barely speaks in the film, and any words he does speak are indecipherable grunts. I believe this won Best Picture in 2001, when it should have gone to Traffic(Damn the last few years in the film industry of really sucked ass).

-The Matrix-

I remember when this first came out, I was in 3rd year(I dunno what the equivalent of that is in the Good Old U S of A, but i was 14) and people were talking about this film for weeks after it was released. I eventually watched it on video, and my first reaction was 'Whats the big fucking deal?'. A hugely overrated film and I also can't stand Keanu Reaves, whos one of the most wooden, downright terrible actors I've ever seen.

-American Pie-

Ok granted for a film to be overrated, it has to actually be rated by people, but when this first came out, people I know were acting as if this was the funniest thing they'd ever seen. I also noticed an 'American Pie=Golden' thread on this forum which prompted me to include this. This film is NOT funny, like at all. Dick jokes, sex jokes and any other related jokes stopped being funny when you were 14, and even then I didn't find the ones in this film funny. A guy having sex with a pie is NOT funny Total number of times I laughed during this film=Zero. Ok so what do the makers do after releasing this trash, they go and make another fucking one, which somehow managed to be even less funny than the first. And now I find out that yet another one has been released(When will the madness stop!!!). Its also doesn't help that theres not one likeable character in this film, not one(Granted I find Shannon Elizabeth, Tara Reid and Mena Suvari hot, but that doesn't make their characters any more likable).

Anyway I'm done, I could include a lot more if I could be arsed to think of them, but this post is already far too long as it is. If you actually read this post, thanks for that, cause I spent like 20 odd minutes typing this crap out and thats 20 minutes Ill never get back.

Well, of that list, it has to be American Pie.

While I personally do not know a single soul who would rate it.....well, highly at all, if there ARE those out there who do, than they're just wrong. So very, very wrong.

If this is somehow our generation's "Animal House" I may have to go and sit in a corner and weep.

Renee Zelwegger has a huge ego? HA.

That statement was one of the funniest things I've ever read.

If you hated Renee and CZJ SO much- why did you go and see the movie? You went in expecting to hate it and you did

Guest Choken One

CAST AWAY wasn't supposed to be Entertaining in that sit down and eat your popcorn way...

Tom Hanks did a great protrayal of an Man on a abandoned island as only he could do.

I personally think Hanks is under-rated and Pacino is OVER RATED.

I'll agree with The Matrix for sure, as I didn't see the big deal about it, despite seeing it multiple times and wanting to like it.

Even though it's a movie I love, when I hear the phrase "overrated movie," Fight Club is one of the first movies to come to mind. It's a great movie, no doubt about it, but honestly the way some people treat it as if it held the true way to live your life in it, hurts it in my eyes. I guess I'm just odd like that in that I'll like or love a movie, but once too many people start going crazy over it or talking about it non-stop, it usually seems a little less spectacular to me.

As for the actual movie, like I said, it's great and does make you think quite a bit about life and different philosophies, but at the same time, it doesn't present anything that hadn't been discussed before. The movie (and perhaps the book) just got those concepts noticed by a larger group of people. It seems to me that Fight Club is one of those movies that many people praise to no end because to them, it's genius. And that's not to say that some elements of it aren't, but I think it's "genius" on a more mediocre level, if that's possible. To put it a better way, it's genius to the common man.

Speaking of genius to the common man, that brings me to The Usual Suspects. Now, like Fight Club, this film is also a great one in my eyes, and even more intelligent than the former, to me. However, it's gotten to the point once again where people treat it as if it were the most amazing film ever created and the truth is, it's not. It's a very interesting movie, with an infamous twist, which I think is what's most appealing to many. Take away the ending, and I believe you have nothing more than a fairly decent movie with some solid actors.

Perhaps it's the movies that people quote constantly and always mention as being of their liking in a faint attempt to seem intelligent that I've got a problem with. The two aforementioned movies fit into this category, and although they're both great, the fanboys they've attained over the years, have really taken something out of maybe not the movie, but the enjoyment of it.

Guest Choken One

Why should the fact that a lot of people love it tarnish the movie for you?

You could fit Taxi Driver and Scarface in that same pile with F.C and Usual Suspects

You know I can't take anything you say seriously when the title of this thread is "The Most Overrated Films of All-Time" and you only go back five years. I think I'll start a thread called "The Worst Actors of All-Time Named Keanu."

Guest MideonMark

If you're talking about me Choken, where do I say that I disliked a film because a lot of people loved it? You probably meant Titanic, but what I said, was that while I hated it, a lot of people liked it and it did make a shitload of money.

Guest Choken One

well...It's always easier to start recent then work your way back...

How did I know that you would be the first one here to defend Fight Club? Anyway, I suppose the fact that the more people talk about the movie, the more you look at it and see its flaws in a clearer light.

Besides, I didn't say that people liking the movie tarnished it for me, I said it tended to take a little of the enjoyment out of it, the reason for which I explained above.

Guest MideonMark

To WrestlingDeacon, yeah I agree the thread should not be called Most Overrated of All Time, but as I said I'd be here all night trying to hink of them and I will add more when I can be arsed.

You know I can't take anything you say seriously when the title of this thread is "The Most Overrated Films of All-Time" and you only go back five years. I think I'll start a thread called "The Worst Actors of All-Time Named Keanu."

Do you really expect a board full a basically teens or people in the early 20's to do any different? I fit into that area, but I'd like to think I have a little more range in the movies I've seen or watch and can go back decades, if need be.

Ok, I'll ask you. Give me 3 films before 1990 that you think are overrated with at least three distinct points as to why. I will then give you my opinion tit for tat. Trust me, anything you come up with, I've seen.

By the way, I'm 24, but a huge film buff and I could probably make a list of 200 films, just American post-silent era mind you, that would leave the punks on this board scratching their head and looking at me like I had a machete sticking out of my head.

Guest MideonMark

Also to Choken I totally agree with you that Tom Hanks is very underrated and I've loved pretty much every film hes ever been in. I think the first one I ever saw with him in it was 'Big' and I still love it.

Also saying Pacino is overrated is also true to an extent, but I couldn't not put him at No. 1 in my list because I've loved a lot of films hes been in (The Godfather, Heat, Scarface)

Guest Ray
-Gladiator-

Yeah thats right, I'm including 'Gladiator', based on what reason you might ask, well based on the reason that its hugely overrated. Aside from the fight scenes(which are also quite overrated although still good), this is 3 odd hours of boredom. Russell Crowe got a lot of praise for this, despite the fact that he barely speaks in the film, and any words he does speak are indecipherable grunts.

You know, there's much more to good acting than just talking.

If you're saying it needed more fight scenes, well, that's like saying a Bret Hart match sucked because it didn't have enough high spots. ;)

And to anyone who dislikes Keanu Reeves, watch River's Edge.

Ok, I'll ask you. Give me 3 films before 1990 that you think are overrated with at least three distinct points as to why. I will then give you my opinion tit for tat. Trust me, anything you come up with, I've seen.

By the way, I'm 24, but a huge film buff and I could probably make a list of 200 films, just American post-silent era mind you, that would leave the punks on this board scratching their head and looking at me like I had a machete sticking out of my head.

I'll do so if you'd really like me to, but it's going to be movies that are fairly well-known, but from before 1990. To be honest, most of the movies I've seen from the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60's, I've enjoyed and wouldn't really call them overrated. But like I said, if you'd like me to, I will compile a small list fitting your criteria.

And that's great that you're a film buff. I wish I knew more people like you. My point is however, the majority of the board doesn't really have the range to go too far back when it comes to this subject. You may be able to, but you don't exactly make up the majority of the board, do ya?

I was asking MideonMark, Bruiser, not you to name me three films. He said he would add some more films if asked, so I was asking. If you want to toss up some ideas please do. I know I'm not a majority of the board, that's what I was kind of pointing out. I'm a huge film buff and it kind of ticks me off when I see something like "Greatest of All-Time" and it's all stuff from the past ten years. People have no sense of history and there is so much great stuff out there that these people don't even know exist. I'm happy that there a few others, like yourself Bruiser, on here who do have sense of what else is out there.

Go back through the threads and find a post from awhile back of mine on the 100 films I think everyone should see. That should tell you where I'm coming from.

Guest MideonMark

Ray I actually like Russell Crowe, I think hes a very talented actor and I thought he was excellent in LA Confidential, Romper Stomper(dunno if many of you have seen this, its an Australian film) and the one about the tobacco industry he did with Al Pacino(I should be able to remember the name of this, since I saw it recently, but I can't. Anyone know the one I'm on about). But what I'm saying is that he got a lot of praise for Gladiator even though he didn't do a whole lot to be praised about.

Guest MideonMark

WrestlingDeacon I didn't say I'll add some if asked I said I'll add some when I can be arsed. I'll definately add some tomorrow for your personal scrutiny, although the70s is probably as far back as I can go.

Guest Ray
and the one about the tobacco industry he did with Al Pacino(I should be able to remember the name of this, since I saw it recently, but I can't. Anyone know the one I'm on about).

I believe the name of that film is The Insider.

But what I'm saying is that he got a lot of praise for Gladiator even though he didn't do a whole lot to be praised about.

I think he gives an excellent subdued performance as a man who's lost everything seeking revenge.

Guest El Satanico

American Pie is the only one on that list that I can say "I dislike it greatly" about.

Gladiator: Didn't really deserve the Oscar, but i like the movie.

Titanic: I don't care to watch it again after seeing it three times, but I didn't hate it.

Chicago: I liked it and I enjoyed it a great deal. If you let your personal feelings about an actor/actress completely affect your viewing of a movie, you have no business giving your opinion about said movie.

Matrix: I liked it and I still like it. I could care less about the hype created around it. Also the fighting and "bullet time" are fun to watch, but that's not why I liked the movie. I liked the story and the mythology of it. So the fighting and "bullet time" is what drew me to the movie originally, but the story is what drew me in and is why I ended up liking it.

My mistake MM, I breezed through your one post and didn't read it clearly enough. Still, there's a whole world of film out there you should open your eyes to and I would be more than happy to recommend some older films for your perusal.

Guest MideonMark

WrestlingDeacon be my guest, I'd welcome any recommendations you have. I could name a lot from the 60s Ive seen(Sergio Leones Westerns that Eastwood starred in for instance) if I sat down and tried to remember them. But Ive seen only a few from pre 1960(one of which is Some Like it Hot, which I loved by the way, and I still think its one of the best comedies ever). But as I say recommendations are definately welcome from this era.

Guest El Satanico

How the hell is Tom Hanks underrated? You ask 10 people 8 will call him great. It's shocking when he isn't nominated for an Oscar if he had an Oscar worthy performance that year.

How exactly does that make him underrated?

The fact that Titanic won the oscar over LA Confidential, leads me to say Titanic is the most overrated film in recent history. The movie was nothing more than a popcorn chick flick, with a great boat sinking sequence in it.

Guest MideonMark

ElSatanico I think Hanks is underrated because if you asked someone who the greatest actor ever was they'd inevitably say eother De Niro or Pacino. Hanks most probably wouldn't get a look in even though hes a really excellent actor and has made more good films than certainly De Niro has in recent years.

Off the top of my head, here are twenty films pre-1970 that I adore and I think most film lovers should see:

The Searchers

Cool Hand Luke

An American in Paris

Casablanca

Citizen Kane

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Red River

North by Northwest

Wait Until Dark

A Face in the Crowd

Spartacus

Ben-Hur

The Third Man

Touch of Evil

Brining up Baby

Duck Soup

Key Largo

Night of the Hunter

It Happened One Night

Ride the High Country

The thing that impresses me the most about Hanks (I'm not really a big fan of his, he is good and all just not one of my favorites) is how far he has come. From doing stuff like "Bachelor Party" and a movie where his co-star is a dog to the Oscar winning work he has done. It would be like us talking about Ashton Kutcher winning an Oscar in 10 years.