TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

Ten Commandments monument controversy

My heart bleeds for those whose hearts are hardened. Despite her obvious dislike for those of us who are vocal and active in our beliefs, and her refusal to believe that we believe anything other than what she thinks we believe, I still love her. Doesn't matter to her or to most anyone else but a Christian that has a heart full of spite and hate needs to check themselves out with Jesus to see what's up.

You'd better not be talking about me.

the country was founded on Judeo-Christian beliefs.

*sigh* No. This country was founded on the belief that there is a creator. As for what creator to worship, the founding fathers left that up to the people to decide for their own. Don't forget the ancestors came over here so they could practice whatever religion they wanted to.

*sigh* Wrong. The "all men are created equal... endowed certain unalienable rights" idea IS a Judeo-Christian idea based on Judeo-Christian beliefs in a Judeo-Christian God.

Islam certainly isn't interested in equal rights. Neither is Hinduism. And most eastern religions aren't terribly concerned with social issues.

To say this country wasn't founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic is ignorant at best.

There is a great deal of evidence to suggest that the principals of the United States, especially the democratic ones were created in spite of orthodox Christianity both Protestant and Catholic.

A treaty written during George Washington's administration in 1797 clearly stated that "The government the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion." Hell James Madison himself said that whenever "ecclesiastical establshments" had shaped civil society, they had supported political tyranny; and had not protected people's liberties.

The fact is both Protestants and Catholic church opposed America''s idea of religious freedom.

Catholicsm itself has had a history of opposing personal liberty dating back to their opposition to the Magna Carta. And considering Christianity's history of enslaving and persecuting those who were different and treating them as lower beings, its pretty obvious that interest in equal rights is a fairly recent phenomenon.

Guest MikeSC
homosexual activity, not orientation, is prohibited.

That's ridiculous, how can their feelings for each other be permissible if expressing that is prohibited? That's a completely two-faced and skewed way of looking at it.

Priests aren't supposed to marry.

Thus, they can heterosexual but can'

They can have tendencies, but as long as they don't ACT on them, they're good.

Same with gays in the church.

But, dare to state that the problems in Boston were due to homosexual priests and their activities and you get ripped to shreds.

-=Mike

A Guy that fucks 10 year old boys is no more "gay" than a guy that fucks 10 year old girls is "straight".

To try and attribute pedophilia to homosexuality is just plain stupid.

I didn't say that all homosexuals were pedophiles.

In THIS case, the priests who screw little boys are homosexual AND pedophiles --- just as a priest who screwed little girls would be heterosexual AND pedophile.

To claim otherwise is silliness.

It's not an attack on homosexuality. It is an attack on pedophiles who happen to be homosexual. Most gay people are not pedophiles.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
A Guy that fucks 10 year old boys is no more "gay" than a guy that fucks 10 year old girls is "straight". 

Agreed. It's often a tactic used by fundies.

Because, as we all know, I'm a raving "fundie".

Of course, calling Christians "fundies" is a tactic of those who have a point they can't back up.

-=Mike

That's ridiculous, how can their feelings for each other be permissible if expressing that is prohibited? That's a completely two-faced and skewed way of looking at it.

But, dare to state that the problems in Boston were due to homosexual priests and their activities and you get ripped to shreds.

-=Mike

In THIS case, the priests who screw little boys are homosexual AND pedophiles --- just as a priest who screwed little girls would be heterosexual AND pedophile.

It's not an attack on homosexuality. It is an attack on pedophiles who happen to be homosexual. Most gay people are not pedophiles.

-=Mike

No, you didn't say that all priest are homosexuals. But you said the problems in the church were because of homosexual priest. Now when you outlined your way of thinking in your second post, you made it clearer that you don't equate homosexuality and pedophiles in the same group, but you have to see how it could be taken that way in the first post.

And I refuse to place pedophiles in the same groups as normal society. Thats like saying a guy that fucks a sheep is straight because the sheep is a girl. Pedphiles are in a group all of thier own there mister.

Guest JMA
Because, as we all know, I'm a raving "fundie".

I never said you were. I said it was a tactic of fundies. And it is.

Of course, calling Christians "fundies" is a tactic of those who have a point they can't back up.

Wrong. Fundie is short for "Fundamentalist." Which not all Christians are. I despise anyone who is a religious fanatic, regardless of whether it's Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, ect. And my point IS backed up. Pedophillia isn't based on gender.

Guest JMA

Getting back on topic. I myself live in Alabama (Hoover, close to Birmingham). If the commandments aren't removed today there will be a $5,000 fine a day. Hopefully they'll be moved soon.

Guest MikeSC

-=Mike

-=Mike

No, you didn't say that all priest are homosexuals. But you said the problems in the church were because of homosexual priest. Now when you outlined your way of thinking in your second post, you made it clearer that you don't equate homosexuality and pedophiles in the same group, but you have to see how it could be taken that way in the first post.

And I refuse to place pedophiles in the same groups as normal society. Thats like saying a guy that fucks a sheep is straight because the sheep is a girl. Pedphiles are in a group all of thier own there mister.

And, in THIS case, homosexual priests CAUSED the problem.

Technically, priests are supposed to be ASEXUAL --- sex is not supposed to be something they engage in, so their preferences should be quite hidden.

Homosexuals and heteros can be pedophiles. I don't consider pedophilia to be something totally different --- just an aberration of norms.

-=Mike

Stop
doing
this,
goddamn
it!

Anyway, psychologically, Mike and Ripper are both correct. (Bear with me.) Mike is right when he says that those priests have a sexual orientation in addition to their predilection for raping children, and that this orientation influences their choice of victim. Ripper is also right when he distinguishes child-rapers from heterosexuals and homosexuals: what is important is the fact that the priest has a predilection for children, and while this fetish is sometimes focused on children of one sex or another, in most cases it does not discriminate.

Guest SP-1

In part is was about you, Marney. You do seem to have a way of refusing to believe that a Christian believes and practices anything other than what you think they do.

My heart bleeds for alot of people with hard hearts in general, however.

Well, I'm wearing a $5,800 silk Escada dress right now and I have a date with my wife in 15 minutes, so unless you want to buy me a replacement be a good little Christian and keep your bleeding heart to your presumptuous and impertinent self.

Guest SP-1

Aw, Marney still doesn't like me, for reasons of unfounded personal hatred against one person because she thinks he believes things despite his many posts to the opposite effect. Isn't group discrimination fun?

Have fun, yo.

Aren't only 2 of the ten commandments actually Law in the United States? And the rest are purely just christian belief? Thou Shalt not Steal & Though Shalt not Kill.....so how about a compromise. Make a new statue with The 2 Commandments and just disregard the rest in a PUBLIC courthouse.

The judge would really help his case if he would stop shouting "The monument is not here for its laws...it is here to acknowledge the ALMIGHTY GAWD!!!"

And Marney, that dress had better have had $5,000 dollars sewn into it. $5,800??!!!!?!?! Whataya crazy?

Guest JMA

On behalf of the state of Alabama, I'd like to give a big "fuck you" to Roy Moore. Since the monument wasn't moved before Monday, today we get $5,000 fines. Fuck you, Moore.

So there are 4,486,508 people in Alabama, so divide 5,00 by that and that's how much your taxes increase. I can already see the starving people because everyone lost .11 of a cent, JMA! Someone, think of the children!

I know it's the principle of the thing, but I still have to laugh at how much this really costs the taxpayers here :P. Not that I agree with it, but it's still kind of funny.

Guest JMA
So there are 4,486,508 people in Alabama, so divide 5,00 by that and that's how much your taxes increase. I can already see the starving people because everyone lost .11 of a cent, JMA! Someone, think of the children!

I know it's the principle of the thing, but I still have to laugh at how much this really costs the taxpayers here :P. Not that I agree with it, but it's still kind of funny.

It's $5,000 a DAY until it is removed.

Aren't only 2 of the ten commandments actually Law in the United States? And the rest are purely just christian belief? Thou Shalt not Steal & Though Shalt not Kill.....so how about a compromise. Make a new statue with The 2 Commandments and just disregard the rest in a PUBLIC courthouse.

Because the statue with all 10 Commandments violates neither the Separation of Church and State nor the ban on government endorsement of one, specific religion.

Guest JMA
Because the statue with all 10 Commandments violates neither the Separation of Church and State nor the ban on government endorsement of one, specific religion.

I disagree. Roy Moore has said "This is about almighty GAWD!" It's clearly an issue of religion. No one asked for it be put there in the first place.