TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NYU

Woman Calls 911 on McDonalds

Fast food customer dials 9-1-1 over condiment charge

Reported by Dave Summers

AVON -- Avon police answer hundreds of emergency calls daily from citizens but dispatcher Deni Stempowski says a call from a McDonald's is super sized silliness.

The McDonald's is at Route 611 in Avon.

The caller is customer Lula Brown, who asked for barbecue sauce with her order.

"I spent almost $10 on food and I wanted some sauce," Brown says. "I was told I would have to pay extra for sauce. It's not a store policy. It's not in writing and I don't feel I should pay extra for any sauce unless it is store policy and they show it to me."

As ridiculous as it might seem, Avon police did respond, they sent an officer in a patrol car to help solve this condiment caper.

Brown was disappointed that police could not solve her problem.

Non-emergency calls to 9-1-1 can cost you.

Brown was not charged but pranks and unnecessary calls can be considered a crime.

Stempowski says Brown and others who call 9-1-1 without an emergency can cause far greater problems.

"We have one line coming in here for 9-1-1," Stempowski says. "Someone else dialing 9-1-1 who has a real emergency now cannot get through."

The Avon McDonald's still offers a wide assortment of condiments for free. After this episode though, the cost of extra sauce is clearly posted.

----------------------------------------------------

I think "......" says it all.

Guest Anglesault

It's almost understandable to call the cops, but not 911.

Some people simply don't know the number of their local police Dept. and opt for 911 for minor things these days

Damn, I've never dialed 9-1-1 in my life and soem dumb bitch does it because she had to pay for a dipping sauce?

I hope when she's keeling over due to a heart attack and is trying to reach medical help via Avon's 9-1-1 number that somebody is clogging the phone line because an ATM machine charged them a $2 service fee...

What I find most hilarious about that woman is her comment "I spent almost $10 on food and I wanted some sauce."

You can just feel her total outrage over spending SO much money, and not getting free sauce in return. What a horrific ordeal this woman has gone through.

Jeez, some people are such idiots. :boxing:

I'm surprised 911 didn't hang up on her.

I've dialed 911 by accident a few times in college (Fairfield, CT) because you have do dial 9 to call outside and not thinking I pressed 1 twice

Well usually I'd say "Sorry, wrong number" they'd quickly hang up, well this one time, this guy actually says "FUCK YOU!" when hanging up!

Granted they probably were having a bad night with prank calls and who knows what, but they do take this shit seriously (and for good reason, I'm not knocking them) so I'm surprised they actually dispatched someone instead of hanging up

Steve

I thought you got the sauce for free? At least in St. Louis you do.

And I've only called 911 once, by accident, because a friends phone number actually started with 991 and I didaled 911 instead. But I hope if I ever need it, I can get through past idiots like that.

I thought you got the sauce for free? At least in St. Louis you do.

Some places you get charged if you want extra. I've seen signs that say if you order a 6-piece McNuggets you get 1 or 2 sauces -- anything else is extra.

Strange thing is that I've seen some places with signs saying they practice this policy and others that don't in the same area...

If I ran the restaurant, I would've dumped a whole bucket of sauce on her (and her car), and yelled, "THERE'S your fucking sauce!"

If you can somehow find a way to blare the theme to Rescue 911 while doing so, it'd be golden.

I think the two stories (Free Doughnut Kid Throws Temper Tantrum and this story) must have gotten crossed up.

This woman should have dialed 9-1-1 for the 2nd free Krispy Kreme dougnut (Police would definitely consider this a crime against humanity). The 17 year old boy should have put the McDonalds bag over his head and rolled around in the floor at Mcdonalds because they wouldn't give him free sauce (He would fit in well with all the other little kids at McDonalds who throw fits in the floor because they didnt get a happy meal toy).

There was a glitch in the Matrix me thinks..

It's almost understandable to call the cops, but not 911.

It's not even understandable to call the police. They can't MAKE the store give up a few packs of dipping sauce, whether it's a posted policy or not. There was no false advertising (which requires the intent to defraud be proven) going on, so the police couldn't have done anything except roll their eyes.

I've been told there was a charge for sauces at a few McDonald's before (I like hot mustard with my fries, damnit). But instead of calling the police, I've simply said, "Never mind," and eaten my food. I'm not going to pay for something I feel they should give out, but I''m not going to call 911 over it, either.

But instead of calling the police, I've simply said, "Never mind," and eaten my food. I'm not going to pay for something I feel they should give out, but I''m not going to call 911 over it, either.

Shit, I wouldn't even begin to do anything other than that. It's amazing how forgetting such a minor issue just doesn't occur to people. What can you say, the world is full of morons.

"I spent almost $10 on food and I wanted some sauce," Brown says. "I was told I would have to pay extra for sauce. It's not a store policy. It's not in writing and I don't feel I should pay extra for any sauce unless it is store policy and they show it to me"

Ahh...but it IS store policy. The fact that there is an actual button on the register to charge for extra sauce should be enough for even the most ignorant person to understand.

Am I the only one that pictures this woman being about 350 pounds, with unwashed hair and dirty fingernails, and absolutely nothing attractive about her appearance?

Methinks that the $10 worth of the Don's was for her and her alone.