TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zorin Industries

A short quiz on Islam

4/10...

Wow, I don't pay attention even though I took this up ALL of my last two school years.

Boy, did they teach me great...

I guess your english classes weren't the cat's meow either, huh? :P

Guest Agent of Oblivion

60%, not half bad for an Atheist that's met maybe one islamic person ever.

Guest Anglesault
6/10.

I missed 2, 6, 9, 10.

Too bad there weren't any questions about how many virgins Allah promises to Muslims that blow themselves up in crowded Jewish settlements...

Well, this is about the Islam Muhammad brought about. Not the royally fucked up mess it has turned in to.

Guest MikeSC
6/10.

I missed 2, 6, 9, 10.

Too bad there weren't any questions about how many virgins Allah promises to Muslims that blow themselves up in crowded Jewish settlements...

Well, this is about the Islam Muhammad brought about. Not the royally fucked up mess it has turned in to.

4/10.

Not that I honestly care.

-=Mike

Guest Anglesault
5/10

That's average, I guess. I really need to stop being such a slacker...

Er..You're a slacker because...?

10/10, but that's because I knew what the writers of the quiz wanted to claim. (Hey, it's the BBC.) Their answers to #5 and #6 were flat-out wrong, and #9 was rather simple-minded.

Guest Anglesault
10/10, but that's because I knew what the writers of the quiz wanted to claim. (Hey, it's the BBC.) Their answers to #5 and #6 were flat-out wrong, and #9 was rather simple-minded.

I got 5 and 6 wrong. I put "B" for both. What was correct?

7 out of 10.

And might I agree with Marney by saying that the answer to 6 is flat out wrong.

And personally, I think their answer for 10 is bullshit too.

I got 5 and 6 wrong. I put "B" for both. What was correct?

Question #5. Which of the following statements is false: 

A: An Imam is the quasi-political leader whose decisions are acted upon by followers

B: Jihad describes the experience of Muslims “struggling” to live out their faith as well as they possibly can.

C: A Fatwa is the legal opinion put forward by an Islamic scholar

The answer was A

An imam is the leader of prayers in a mosque, not the leader of the mosque itself. They are important community figures but they do not necessarily have any more political sway than religious figures in other faiths.

Depending on the imam in question, he can have as much political sway as a cardinal during the Inquisition (one hell of a lot). Statement A, far from being false, is a fair description of a large number of imams in the Islamic world, though not by any means a large percentage.

Statement B is functionally false but technically correct. since the word "jihad" is rarely used in that sense by anyone except Islamofascist apologists who want to make the Koran look less bloodthirsty to the naive and the uneducated.

Statement C is incomplete at best because it ignores the self-evident fact that "legal opinions" of Islamic scholars are couched in the revelatory and unquestionable laws of the Koran. They are correctly understood as theological decrees, not "legal opinions."

Question #6. What is Islam’s attitude towards divorce? 

A: Divorce is not acceptable

B: Men can divorce wives but not vice versa

C: Divorce by either party is acceptable

The answer was C

This is pure apologetics. No excuse can be made for the writer; he is willfully attempting to deceive his readers about the true nature of Islam. The question and answer strongly imply an equality among the sexes which does not exist and never has existed. The fact of the matter is that Islamic laws provide for a quick and easy way for men to divorce women, but women have to go through the misogynistic religious courts, demonstrate reasonable cause (and remember, a woman's testimony is worth half of a man's), and pay back her dowry (which would have been given by her parents; if she has no means of her own - and she probably wouldn't, as women cannot easily inherit property - this could very well be impossible). On top of that, not even subsistence alimony is provided for beyond a period of three months, and many women in many Islamic countries have neither the education nor the legal rights to work (if not all jobs, certainly a great many, especially those commonly available to unskilled workers). And finally, any children may be removed from her custody, practically on the whim of her ex-husband.

Under unmitigated Islamic law, women are both in theory and in fact nothing more than chattel. They are slaves. To claim that a slave has the "same right" as her master to terminate the contract that binds them is beyond ludicrous. It is obscene.

Edited by Cancer Marney

I think their answer for 10 is bullshit too.

It is. Statements A and B are both technically correct, but C just tries to muddy the waters by coming up with the wrong reason and the wrong prescription. It has nothing to do with Islam at all. It is neither correct nor false; it is a complete non sequitur. Here's the real attitude of Islam towards the "unbelievers," straight from the blood-soaked pages of the Koran itself:

"Kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out: persecution is severer than slaughter; but do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them. Such is the recompense of the unbelievers."

"They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be all alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly their homes in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper."

"You will find others who desire that they should be safe from you and secure from their own people; as often as they are sent back to the mischief they get thrown into it headlong; therefore if they do not withdraw from you, and (do not) offer you peace and restrain their hands, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them; and against these we have given you a clear authority."

"O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people."

"And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!"

Non-violent? Tell it to the wind, kid.

Guest MikeSC
I think their answer for 10 is bullshit too.

It is. Statements A and B are both technically correct, but C just tries to muddy the waters by coming up with the wrong reason and the wrong prescription. It has nothing to do with Islam at all. It is neither correct nor false; it is a complete non sequitur. Here's the real attitude of Islam towards the "unbelievers," straight from the blood-soaked pages of the Koran itself:

"Kill them wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out: persecution is severer than slaughter; but do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them. Such is the recompense of the unbelievers."

"They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be all alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly their homes in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper."

"You will find others who desire that they should be safe from you and secure from their own people; as often as they are sent back to the mischief they get thrown into it headlong; therefore if they do not withdraw from you, and (do not) offer you peace and restrain their hands, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them; and against these we have given you a clear authority."

"O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people."

"And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!"

Non-violent? Tell it to the wind, kid.

Marney, remember --- there are people who still try to argue that "Islam" translates to "peace".

-=Mike

Guest BDC

Just to clarify on the men divorcing wives thing, men can divorce their wives by saying "I divorce youm, I divorce you, I divorce you!" and it's done. Legal and binding.

Women have 'burdens of proof' and it's basically only applicable for infedility and you have to have witnesses for it as well.

Boy, did they teach me great...

Perhaps you are a poor learner...

Considering I walked out of my SS class with a respectable 75% which was about a good 20% higher than the class average (and I was like 3rd highest in my class) and I really wasn't there for about half the semester due to injuries (long story, not about to bore you), I'd say that's pretty damn good.

But to continue this topic on it's thread. I knew those 4, but I was half certain on about 3 others. Of course, half certain doesn't really help.

Although, it might be that I've been more concerned with my life lately to really learn about Current Events (hence my coming to this folder more often), so that would have something to do with it as well.

Under unmitigated Islamic law, women are both in theory and in fact nothing more than chattel. They are slaves. To claim that a slave has the "same right" as her master to terminate the contract that binds them is beyond ludicrous. It is obscene.

One of my favorite moments in my somewhat unorthodox Criminal Law course last year took place during a discussion of the "Battered Spouse Syndrome" and how it may be used to mitigate a charge of murder.

The most vocal member of the class - a young man who, on several occasions, proudly stated his family's connection with Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam - spoke up and immediately went off upon a tangent on how women are not treated poorly under the religion of Islam.

The professor subsequently came in the next class and proceeded to DESTROY those arguments with direct quotes from the Koran which stated a man's duty to own - and beat if necessary - his bride.

It brought a smile to my face.

Guest JMA

It's times like these that I'm glad I'm an atheist. My main problem with Islam is that it has resulted in theocracies in the Middle East. Not to mention a lot of these people are stuck in a time-warp (only with today's tech).

The professor subsequently came in the next class and proceeded to DESTROY those arguments with direct quotes from the Koran which stated a man's duty to own - and beat if necessary - his bride.

Well shit, aren't there interpretations that say women are soulless?

And the U.S. is oppressive... my ass.

It's times like these that I'm glad I'm an atheist. My main problem with Islam is that it has resulted in theocracies in the Middle East. Not to mention a lot of these people are stuck in a time-warp (only with today's tech).

The Middle East was a problem area long before Islam even existed. They fight each other as much as they fight us.

I'm with JMA on this one.

True, there has always been turmoil in the Middle East, but the addition of religion to the equation has made it that much worse, far beyond simple racial / ethnic hatreds.