TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of bps21

The *Official* bps21 NFL Power Rankings (Week 1)

Fun fact of the day: If you add last seasons results to week 1 of this year...every AFC East team is 9-8. Weird.

Week 1 of the 2003 season is in the books...and it's either the first step towards a big season or another week of preseason that doesn't count...depending on how your team did.

There were some lessons to be learned from the first week of the season. Here's the top 5:

1. I feel pretty confident in announcing that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will not be suffering any Super Bowl hangover this year. They made what is supposed to be the second best team in the NFC look very below average...on the road...opening a new stadium...in primetime. Look Out.

2. It's going to be a long year in the AFC East if the playcalling is going to be this poor. When I watched the Jets call plays on 3rd down after 3rd down that weren't long enough to get a first down...I thought that was strange. When I looked at the Dolphins decision making I thought that was even stranger. The Patriots never tried to abandon the screen and dump offense that everyone else realized wasn't going to work as soon as Takeo Spikes blew up Troy Brown on 3rd down of there second drive. The result? 4 INTs for Brady...3 of which were on balls not even thrown 10 yards. Yeesh. The Bills made odd playcalls too (like they always do) but it was harder to notice in the blowout. I do know that we'll see the stupid playcalling for the Bills return as soon as a close game comes up. They just can't help it.

3. Hey everyone! Jake Plummer still sucks. Luckily the Bengals still suck too...and managed to lose the game by 20 points. You have to love the Bengals. Did you know the teams total yards in the game were 294 - 293 in favor of the Bengals? ...and they lost by 20 points. Plummer did his part to help the Bengals...throwing 3 picks. But the Bengals will not be denied. Broncos fans had better thank the Lord of football every day that they have Clinton Portis.

4. Those QB controversies didn't really go away did they? Kelly Holcumb won the Browns job and led his team to two EPIC field goals in a 3 point loss. Kurt Warner continued his awesome streak of putting up useless numbers and still falling flat on his face...um...literally I guess. Right now Bears fans have realized that anyone is better than Kordell Stewert. Kyle Boller and Quincy Carter didn't look good either...but you can't have a controversy when all your QBs suck. At least Mark Brunell fended off Byron Leftwich for the time being. Brunell is actually a quality QB...but I think Leftwich takes that job by midseason.

5. It seems to me most of the teams being bantered about as "Sleepers" or "Darkhorse teams" showed up to prove it in week one. The Bills, Chiefs, Seahawks, and Panthers all won (and the first three won big). The Ravens didn't.

Week 1 Awards:

Offensive Player of the Week: Priest Holmes

Defensive Player of the Week: Takeo Spikes

Rookie of the Week: Anquan Boldin

And now what no one has been waiting for:

The Official bps21 NFL Power Rankings (Week 1)

In reverse:

32. Arizona Cardinals (0-1)

At least Boldin gave them something to cheer about.

31. Cincinnati Bengals (0-1)

Hey...there out of the basement! Marvin Lewis has already improved them!

30. Chicago Bears (0-1)

Holy crap...Kordell sucks.

29. Dallas Cowboys (0-1)

It's gonna be another long year in big D...but it will get better.

28. New York Jets (0-1)

A few more like this week...and they may want to think about starting one of those rookie back-ups...just to see if lightning strikes. Trust me...it couldn't hurt.

27. Cleveland Browns (0-1)

And the loser of the QB competition is...Browns fans. Actually...they might be screwed either way.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-1)

I wouldn't count them out yet...but they collapsed horribly...and their schedule is brutal.

25. Detroit Lions (1-0)

They beat a team they were supposed to. A good first step on a long road back.

24. San Diego Chargers (0-1)

I think they'll be OK...the Chiefs offense is hard for anyone to stop...but LT didn't look that great.

23. Baltimore Ravens (0-1)

If they are going to rely on the defense...they may be in trouble.

22. Washington Redskins (1-0)

They didn't look good on Thursday either...and I think they'll be falling down this chart (or...climbing since it's backwards).

21. Houston Texans (1-0)

Won a big game against a better team. Now what?

20. New Orleans Saints (0-1)

You don't want to start slow in this division.

19. Carolina Panthers (1-0)

Pulled out a big win. If they win this week...that will be something else.

18. St. Louis Rams (0-1)

I wouldn't have them this high if I didn't think Bulger gave them a better chance to win this week.

17. Green Bay Packers (0-1)

The Pack picked up where he left off in the playoffs. For those keeping track...that's not a good thing.

16. Miami Dolphins (0-1)

What happened here? If they lose to the hapless Jets this week...we'll know alot about team leadership and heart.

15. New England Patriots (0-1)

What happened here? Three positives from the game: Run defense looked much better. Kevin Faulk looked good. Game is over.

14. Indianapolis Colts (1-0)

I assume Manning will play better than he did this week...but the D did it's job.

13. Seattle Seahawks (1-0)

Look good. Making Mr. Rant proud. Should kill Cards this week.

12. Denver Broncos (1-0)

Portis is a stud, Plummer is a dud. It will be an interesting year in Denver.

11. Atlanta Falcons (1-0)

Part of this rating is knowing that Vick will be back...and that they are focused on holding the line until then.

10. Oakland Raiders (0-1)

A couple questionable calls may have cost them...but they won't let that be a distraction.

9. Minnesota Vikings (1-0)

Huge win in week 1. Time will tell if it was the beginning of something special...or another false hope.

8. Philadelphia Eagles (0-1)

No shame in losing to the Bucs...but the way they lost...ugh. Let's put it this way...if I did a preseason ranking...they'd have been #2.

7. San Francisco 49ers (1-0)

Big win over bad team. Can't ask for more than they did.

6. New York Giants (1-0)

Giants are for real. Should go into bye week 3-0.

5. Pittsburgh Steelers (1-0)

Steelers are for real too. Tough game this week against Chiefs.

4. Buffalo Bills (1-0)

When you have a (finally) improved O-line and returning Pro Bowlers at QB, RB and WR...and all people are talking about is your defense...you did something right.

3. Kansas City Chiefs (1-0)

Chiefs are for real. Tough game this week against Steelers.

2. Tennesee Titans (1-0)

Didn't play that great...questionable calls helped...but they still beat the defending AFC Champions. Imagine when they play well.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0)

Duh.

That's it for this week. Leave your disagreements about my over and under ratings in this thread.

The Eagles still have a shot at a Fiesta Bowl bid but the BCS can't be happy with Tennesee at #2 because there fans don't travel well.

Um nevermind.

At least Seattle has the Cards and then the Rams at home (I'll probably go to this game WHOOO~!) so they should have a good shot at going 3-0 to start the season.

The Redskins didn't look good? Umm their defense which was #5 last year, held the Jets to a 158 total yards. The offense looked fine in the first half, shaky in the second. That is what you get with a young QB.

I don't argue the ranking placement, just the comments that accompany it.

Oh and Minnesota should definately be ranked higher than 49ers. They blew the packers out IN LAMBEAU FIELD.

Ranking the Texans higher than Skins is implorable too. Even though it was only one notch.

The Skins looked terrible...the Jets just happened to be that much worse.

Beating the Jets by three points isn't an accomplishment worth salavating...and as I said under the Jets write-up...it's not like the Sikns D kept them from converting 3rd downs...the Jets playcalling did.

At least Houston beat a good team.

...and 5 points isnt'a blowout...it's an almost blew it.

I don't like the 49ers being so high. Sure, they blew out the Bears. How could you not, when Kordell Stewart was giving the ball up every drive? Sure, Garcia looked good, and Owens is a stud, but I'd rather see how they stack up to quality competition.

I don't like the 49ers being so high. Sure, they blew out the Bears. How could you not, when Kordell Stewart was giving the ball up every drive?

Well, they looked better than all of the 1-0 teams below them on the Power Rankings.

42 points is 42 points, no matter who the team is.

Sure, Garcia looked good, and Owens is a stud, but I'd rather see how they stack up to quality competition.

It's always a game of "wait and see" for teams with soft competition early in the season. Until quality competition comes around (probably St. Louis this Sunday), they deserve the #7 spot.

I think Bears should be last as well, man the Bengals stunk it up, but at least their D played decent considering they were playing on a short field most of the game. But I'd say Bears-Bengals-Cards a viable bottom three.

And I agree Texans over Redskins this week.

*Looks around in disbelief*

Did anyone WATCH that Bears game. The one where Running backs were forgetting that they were suppose to be picking up the blitz for their QB, or the linemen block the wrong direction making huge hole to come kill the QB with, or the recivers BOTH running the wrong route leading to a Kordell pick or god knows how many dropped passes.

You could have any quarter back in the world that day and the bears wouldn't have scored. You definately can't put that on Kordell.

I think it's too early in the season to have a power rankings ... just because a team had a great first week doesn't mean that they will all season (e.g. last year's Patriots - the first 2 games they were like a juggernaut, and then quickly fell back down to earth.)

And, even after I watched all 60 minutes of the Bills demolishing the Patriots, there's NO WAY I'd put the Bills as the 4th best team in the league.

Eagles are not Top 10 caliber yet, being shutout at home and having the mutants boo the team is not a good start. The one man offense team has become even more weaker now that the defense has been hit by injuries at the secondary. Andy Reid had his ass handed to him by the Superbowl champion on both sides of the ball. Reid who is a genius at trick plays was out classed by a Warren Sapp of all people.......you know your in trouble when the 400 pound DE makes a 1st down play. Eagles should be no higher than #12 just because McNabb and Duce have potential and one of those trick plays will work eventually.

Huge win in week 1. Time will tell if it was the beginning of something special...or another false hope
They are playing the Bears, so this could be the game where all the hype about Onterrio Smith becomes reality or just fantasy. This is more or less a bye week for the Vikings, now the team can let the injuried rest on defense, hopefully Corey Chavous is not serious.

Won a big game against a better team. Now what
Now the Texans will continue to protect Carr and prevent him from becoming a walking zombie like Kurt Warner.

Eagles are not Top 10 caliber yet, being shutout at home and having the mutants boo the team is not a good start. The one man offense team has become even more weaker now that the defense has been hit by injuries at the secondary. Andy Reid had his ass handed to him by the Superbowl champion on both sides of the ball. Reid who is a genius at trick plays was out classed by a Warren Sapp of all people.......you know your in trouble when the 400 pound DE makes a 1st down play. Eagles should be no higher than #12 just because McNabb and Duce have potential and one of those trick plays will work eventually.

Huge win in week 1. Time will tell if it was the beginning of something special...or another false hope
They are playing the Bears, so this could be the game where all the hype about Onterrio Smith becomes reality or just fantasy. This is more or less a bye week for the Vikings, now the team can let the injuried rest on defense, hopefully Corey Chavous is not serious.

Won a big game against a better team. Now what
Now the Texans will continue to protect Carr and prevent him from becoming a walking zombie like Kurt Warner.

The fans booed when Mitchell didn't return the first punt. They booed when the team left the half down 3 to 0...fuck the Philly fans.

14. Indianapolis Colts (1-0)

I assume Manning will play better than he did this week...but the D did it's job.

Well, even if he doesn't, he's still got the drunken Canadian to bail his ass out...

The fans booed when Mitchell didn't return the first punt. They booed when the team left the half down 3 to 0...fuck the Philly fans.

The fans booed when Lito Sheppard (the guy who replaced Mitchell in an unpopular move) had the Lito Sheppard Dance Party style of punt returns. And they booed when they were rewarded for all of their enthusiasm with a performance that goes down as one of the worst halves of football this team has ever played. Yes, fuck the Philly fans for having the gall to boo that effort by the players. It makes me laugh, that anytime Philly fans boo something, the poor performance is immediately forgotten and it become Philly fans just being their typical rude selves. That performance deserved to get booed, and Andy Reid deserves to get punched in the fucking mouth for his day after press conference comments.

And I still think the Eagles are ahead of the Giants. I didn't buy their performance as anything great. Kurt Warner and Mike Martz handed them that game on a silver platter.

You know...out of all the power rankings that the sports sites do...

4th (where I put them) is the lowest they ranked.

After one week of football all I can do is sit there and rank on which teams I think would beat the teams beneath them based on what I've seen.

Now...a team like Tennessee (who didn't have a great game, but one) gets a nudge towards the top because I went into the season expecting them to be the best team in the AFC...and assume they'll play better and continue to win.

The Bears did suck, but I know Kordell Stewert and they're only a couple weeks away from a fluke 24-30 290 yard 3 TD game from him.

I can't say that about the Bengals or the Cardinals...who I don't see winning a game for a whlie.

The fans booed when Mitchell didn't return the first punt.  They booed when the team left the half down 3 to 0...fuck the Philly fans.

The fans booed when Lito Sheppard (the guy who replaced Mitchell in an unpopular move) had the Lito Sheppard Dance Party style of punt returns. And they booed when they were rewarded for all of their enthusiasm with a performance that goes down as one of the worst halves of football this team has ever played. Yes, fuck the Philly fans for having the gall to boo that effort by the players. It makes me laugh, that anytime Philly fans boo something, the poor performance is immediately forgotten and it become Philly fans just being their typical rude selves. That performance deserved to get booed, and Andy Reid deserves to get punched in the fucking mouth for his day after press conference comments.

And I still think the Eagles are ahead of the Giants. I didn't buy their performance as anything great. Kurt Warner and Mike Martz handed them that game on a silver platter.

They were booing 3 minutes into the game with the score at 0-0 on opening night while playing the SUper Bowl Champs. They booed at the half in a 3-0 game. You say that was a horrible half? They held the SUPER BOWL CHAMPS to 3 points in the first half, a half that ended with a Vincent(?) interception and they were booing like rabid dogs. If not for a dropped pass, they would have been up. If they had just taken the field goal, they would have been tied. But it was 3 to freakin 0. They booed McNabb for going to his check down routes when his recievers were covered. What the fuck was that all about. They are booing their team because Sheppard TOOK Mitchells job because the team felt he would do a better job at it. They came to be marks for themsleves and boo whenever the could.

So yes, I repeat, FUCK the philly fans for booing a great first half defensive perfomance and a expected first half offensive performance when you are playing the leagues best defense.

Sheppard did not take Mitchell's job. Mitchell is gone because the Eagles did not want to give him four years like the Giants did. I thought it was the right move, but it was unpopular with most Eagle fans. If you want to argue who took the job it was Brian Westbrook, and he couldn't catch a punt clean to save his life.

You say "If not for a dropped pass." Even more reason to boo when they are blowing chances at the end zone.

And I would wager money if you went up to each fan and said, "Why are you booing?", the defense would get mentioned by one drunken idiot. Between Reid's play calling, McNabb's fear of throwing to a receiver, and the abortion that was the offensive line there was plenty of reason to be upset.

Eagles fans have been stewing over last January's game for the past eight months. And after all of the hype, the best stadium opening show ever, and the rabid atmosphere surrounding the place, when you are rewarded with the team playing like it is the 5th preseason game, you aren't going to be doing backflips.

It feels good not having to be the resident Bills faniac. Bps has got me covered. I can just root for them quietly.

GREAT video BPS!

Of course they couldn't show the times Bledsoe got his ass sacked, or the numerous stupid penalties that prevented them from winning 60-0.

Oh and showing that blatant pass interference by Milloy in the End Zone was cool too!

:)

AFC East is full of *cough*chokers*cough* but I bet The Swami is happy about this as his prediction might come true this year.

Is it me or do you find it funny that everybody but the Rams are winning with the pass all the time offense...........again I would like to say that Mike Martz is not a genius.