TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ray

Last time WWE had a **** match?

Guest Ray

Just curious to see how people rate things.

When was the last true **** match in WWE?

I have to go all the way back to Steve Austin vs. Chris Benoit - 5/31/01. Unless I've forgotten something big...

Yeah, I'm stingy with the ****'s.

Edit: On second thought, I might give the big 4 to the No Mercy 02 tag match. Been a while since I watched it though. Meh...

Edited by Ray

I can't remember an instance, actually.

Last time any match in the WWE/WWF broke even THREE stars was Bret/Owen from Wrestlemania X, I'd guess.

BTW, I'd give it ***1/4.

Haas/Benjamin v. Filthy Animals, Vengeance.

Guest Ray
When you say a minimum of ****, then Angle/Benoit is always the first that springs to mind, wondering how you forgot that.

The Rumble match is overrated actually. Angle's shoddy selling really annoyed me.

***1/2...maybe 3/4 ;)

Guest Ghettoman

Vengeance, Eddie vs Benoit. If there's a reason as to why it's not aside from "the end killed it" (which is not true) I've yet to hear it.

When you say a minimum of ****, then Angle/Benoit is always the first that springs to mind, wondering how you forgot that.

The Rumble match is overrated actually. Angle's shoddy selling really annoyed me.

***1/2...maybe 3/4 ;)

The rumble match owes a lot to crowd heat, that's true, but it was the right match, got Angle over as a strong champion without making Benoit look like his bitch, as was evidenced by The Standing Ovation~! ©

The last match that came close to ***** in WWE for me was Rock/Austin, X-7, and I don't mind saying that as a stand-alone match, I choose it over Flair/Steamboat.

Guest Deviant

I think there have been a lot of ****+ matches in this year alone. Only counting PPVs, I would consider Angle vs Benoit at the Rumble, Y2J vs HBK, Angle vs Lesnar and Booker vs HHH(you heard me!) from Mania and Eddy vs Benoit from Vengeance to all break ****. And that's without me putting any actual thought into it.

I'll be as negative as I want about Raw and the bad parts of SD, but I won't dare deny the presence of some damn good matches.

There has not been a **** on Raw in years. The closest match that even should be considered is the HHH vs Flair match. To me and many it was an entertaining match but it was not the PERFECT match. It was one of the few matches that had HHH look good on tv. The another decent match involving the man who holds everyone down was HHH vs Kane in the casket match during the Katie Vick BS.

Lately the Molly & Kim vs Trish matches have been the best of Raw and they are barely **1/2 and that is only because of double team moves and Trish's bumps.

**** matches? On my standards, there have been a few this year:

Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar at 'Mania

Los Guerreros vs Team Angle at Backlash

AMW vs XXX Cage Match

Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels at 'Mania

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit at Rumble

Five four star matches isn't bad, is it?

Guest BionicRedneck
**** matches? On my standards, there have been a few this year:

Kurt Angle vs Brock Lesnar at 'Mania

Los Guerreros vs Team Angle at Backlash

AMW vs XXX Cage Match

Chris Jericho vs Shawn Michaels at 'Mania

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit at Rumble

Five four star matches isn't bad, is it?

Last time WWE had a **** match?

Well...my latest Vengeance review saw me give Filthy Animals/WGTT at Vengeance ****. Match before that that got **** from me? Probably Angle/Benoit, as both matches that were good at WM were ***3/4, and would have gotten **** if Jericho went over and if Brock hit the SSP.

Guest Dmann2000

Ray has big problems with Angle's selling and the praise Angle gets, I bet he rates the Rumble match at ***1/2.

Guest Dmann2000

In that case Ray (regarding Rumble '03), what about their Unforgiven match? Or the 2/3 falls match from Smackdown between Rey/Edge and Angle/Benoit.

Guest Anglesault

Here's a better quetion.

What's more annoying? The people who look at a *** match and go

OMG, best match ever! ***********! I would give it more, but the stupid scale says no!

Or the "super smark' who feels the need to give every match he sees the lowest possible score?

Guest Goodear

I would go with the people that seem to give everything either ***** or -***** and very few in between myself. At least, generally the 'Super Smark' at least has some rationale that they can point to which is always better than 'It entertained me' or 'Big Show was in it' respectively.

Guest RollingSambos

Angle vs. Lesnar at SummerSlam was ****, IMO. I am a huge fan of that match, and don't give a damn what the general consesus is, or what people thought of the finish. I loved the finish.

Here's a better quetion.

What's more annoying? The people who look at a *** match and go

OMG, best match ever! ***********! I would give it more, but the stupid scale says no!

Or the "super smark' who feels the need to give every match he sees the lowest possible score?

I find the people who underrate a match much more infuriating. The last WWF/WWE match to break THREE stars was Bret vs. Owen ? Give me a fucking break.

And yeah, the last match I would give **** would be Angle/Lesnar at SummerSlam. Going before that, Eddy/Benoit at Vengeance MAY be ****(even from a Benoit-detractor like myself), and I would definitely give World's Greatest Tag Team vs. Rey/Kidman ****. Awesome, awesome tag match.

Guest RollingSambos

I agree that the underraters are much more obnoxious. The idea that a match hasn't cleared **** since 1994 in North America is just absurd.

Angle/Lesnar from SS was horrible IMO. By "horrible" I mean "painfully adequate". Their WM match was only a lil bit better (hell, I thought Taker vs. Albert/Big Show was better).

Rock vs. Austin at Mania was ***1/2, maybe. That's close to ****

Guest nikowwf

I find it terribly funny people who populate this board who seem to think there almost never is any good wrestling in WWE. So, basically you are discussing something you think sucks? Or are you watching for the skits?

niko

Guest The Hamburglar

Star ratings suck balls. But the last truly funksome match I remember seeing was Benjamin/Haas vs Kidman/Mysterio. Twas much coolness.