TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Woolery

GENESIS (And Countdown To) Comments!

SILENT VS. EDWIN MACPHISTO - COMMENTS

First off, mad props to Kibs for doing this just about all by his lonesome. If he had fucked it up, I would have gotten him banned from life. Now, to hte match...

- The line about Edwin being an old friend was very accurate. I loved that line.

- Edwin hitting the enziguri early is nice, since it sets up the finish beautifully (I admit, I cheated and read the finish first)

- Edwin’s crowd working was dead-on with the MacPhisto character, and it was a cool thing in such a serious match to have a little levity like that

- Comet stumbling over the Kibagami/Silent thing is cool, since it plays up the difference between the two sides to Nathan’s persona. I’ve noticed it a couple times already, and it’s a cool little thing that got thrown in there.

- So much striking at the beginning. A little much, but I think I see why it was put in there.

- Glad to see Edwin is feeling the effects of his time off from the ring. The writing says that he needs to step it up a notch, and it’ll be interesting to see if MacPhisto still has that extra gear.

- Another thing I like is that the people aren’t going down for the count early. That gets done too often, and cheapens the later part of the match. Good call here.

- If you ever refer to Edwin’s cheeks as “impeccable” again, I will no-sell everything you write, EVER.

- Cool sequence from the Demonstar to Union Jack to Encore Cross. First huge move of the match, and the much-anticipated counters to the Demonstar make their first appearance

- A second Demonstar counter. Anything that involves Edwin backflipping into a 3 point stance is very, very quality

- The Air MacPhisto is put over nicely, and then Kibs’ mission is made clear once again. It’s a VERY good idea to hit people up with the reminder of how much this means to Nathan, since it can be easy to forget in the middle of a match. Good, good segment right there.

- Slingshot German off the cage = badass and a half

- Going to the Grudge was a nice idea, since that match has so many connections to this match. Good work playing it up.

- When Silent takes control, you just feel this cold rush come over you…but Edwin keeps getting the cheers, and he keeps standing. It’s a little bit of an odd juxtaposition, but with the overall theme of the match, it works. Perhaps not the best way it could have been done, but it does its job here.

- When Silent shakes his head, and that whole line about “I don’t want to do this”, that seems very out of place. The rest of the match had been about how Silent WANTS to do this, and it seems like Kibs letting up here and not going for the Demonstar is rather out of place.

- Well-written comeback by Edwin, and the second reversal of the Cocktail O Shame really deflates the crowd again.

- When the fans and commentators finally go quiet, this match gets meaningful. It shows that it’s so far beyond the norm, and that this is really important, deep shit.

- BTW, did I mention how much Galatea Specials rule? Because they do.

- Goddamn, the Joker’s Wild comes up all the time now. It’s actually starting to get a little clichéd. It’s a cool counter, though. Still, I’d have loved to see Edwin bust out a Raynor move or a Grand Slam move here instead.

- As soon as I type that, you go for the Walk Off. There we go.

- Now we hit the other side of the equation, with old Clan finishers. All the big moves come out, and I mark for the Stigmata. Still, I would have loved to see a Raynor move make the cut.

- The Silent chant creeps me out. That seems like it’d be the hardest blow Edwin would take all night.

- Edwin just keeps getting up. I’d like to see Silent stay a little more focused on the Demonstar, really, but overall the long-term plan of this match has been stuck to pretty well.

- Can I say anything about this finish? The enziguri stuff, Mark and King’s reactions…it’s perfect. The match was pretty good, but the finish was perfect.

- Now, to find out what the war is.

In conclusion: Obviously, I really, really liked this match. It might have been about 1000 words too long, as it dragged JUST a little bit in the middle. The emotion wasn't perfect, but it was there for most of the match. The enziguri spots really linked the entire match together, and made for a truly incredible experience. And even if I disagreed with a few places inside the match, I don't think you could have written a better finish. Absolutely perfect, and with a true sense of finality. Excellent job, Kibs. You earned this one, and you should be praised for going out and writing this. It was a big part of making this the greatest show of all-time, and I can honestly say, after the fact, that the Edwin/Silent angle was a good thing (which I had serious doubts about for a long time). Congrats, and here's hoping you don't go and retire on us after this. Ride the wave, baby. Ride it long and hard.

And on the commenting note: This should be the biggest comment thread we've ever had. No one has matches, and we have the best show in history sitting in front of us. Make sure every match gets some comments, as well as the bigger promos *coughTBSErekcough*. I will be glad to comment on as many matches as possible, so just catch me when I'm around, and I'll see when I can squeeze it in during schoolwork and such.

Now everyone, make many comments. This has to make it to 3 pages AT LEAST, and maybe even 4.

Guest Suicide King

Heh. I'm actually kind of flattered that every heel or former Carnie uses my finisher when the shit hits the fan, even if it must occasionally be no-sold. Believe it or not, that more than anything else makes me feel like I have contributed to the fed.

I juse hope a mention of Magnifico is made should a bottle of Tequila be smashed over some poor schmoe's head.

That's all I need. :D

Guest Suicide King

Oh, and with all the big plot points it will be easy for things to slip through the cracks, but I would like to encourage people to check out the ICTV match, as it was a very interesting read.

AND I SAID NAY, WE ARE BUT MEN

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOHHHHH

What I meant to say is I never will use of any of King's moves too. I'll just steal Thoth's.

That fantastic opening's original framework was provided by Ejiro,

RIGHT! I DEMAND EJIRO BE STRIPPED OF THE US TITLE NOW! My charge is... RULING WAY TOO MUCH TO HOLD A LESSER TITLE!

Seriously. Opening a PPV with a classic, fantastically written broadway draw? I mean I often think "Now why did I lose?" or "That was a good match of mine, I'm dissapointed that didn't win." but this time I got the back end of a torpedo of writing goodness.

I'll read more of the PPV later.

And Z forgot that I'd won the HCG belt in my Tale of the Tape. Gah.

If King used the Hammerlock Inverted DDT so did I, a good four years before joining the fed. And for that matter in a gimmick involvng the heavy use of playing card metaphors.

Fuck you Taylor and Strangler...cause TBS flat out lied to me! I was trying to guess who was coming back to do a program with him after Genesis...and my first guess was Erek Taylor...and he told a bold faced lie.

I'll comment later....there's a lot to read.

Da "i'll never believe another word you say" H

Guest Space_Cowboy
Hardy shudders as he watches Janus leaping around to the incredibly crappy song, and looks around, trying to find Stryke, the nice, low-key member of the group. He searches, and finds nothing but a big, velvety chair with a sign posted on it, saying “RESERVED FOR STRYKE”.

“Comet, it looks like Stryke managed to find a way to no-show his promo at Genesis! A new record!”

“Robert, wherever he is, I’m sure he’s very apathetic about it.”

Delightful. It just wouldn't be an SWF event without me no-showing something.

Williams vs. TNT review:

The opening history recap was a nice touch, summing up the feud and it’s meaning way better than I ever could. Both men’s mannerisms during the entrance are logical, and fit nicely into the story of the feud. Though I never gave you any specifics on how I wanted Williams’ character portrayed, our interruptions ended up eerily mirroring each other. The most impressive thing is how well written the arena atmosphere is, giving the match some sort of mythical epic importance along the lines of Funk/Jumbo or Hogan/Warrior(never thought I put those matches in the same sentence). I was going for the same thing with my match, though it only comes across that way in the opening.

The early miss grapple/miss Lariat/waistlock sequence comes off kind of odd, and I had difficulty imagining it. Again, TNT suddenly rushing forward for the Lariat out of nowhere is also awkward, it would have been better to set it up with maybe a headlock to shoulder block spot to floor Williams first so the attempt would make more sense. The sleeper spot was well timed, using it between a finisher tease and a strike exchange to further the match. The Taue style running knee was put over well, always nice to see strikes used as something more than a way to connect spots.

The build to the first Powerbomb attempt was set up well with the two DDTs, giving Danny’s offense a sense of direction. I like the Burning Lariat after the Powerbomb attempt, but the timing feels slightly off. After a grueling, long, drawn out Backbody Drop counter, the sudden Lariat seems out of place. It’s like going from point A to point C without stopping at B, if you catch my drift. Maybe if you had Danny jump up, and run into the Lariat it would flow a lot better. Or instead of a Backbody Drop counter, have TNT slip out of the waistlock in front of him, prompting Williams to drop in the ropes, and try a running attack which would lead to the Lariat.

Williams getting up first was a nice touch, considering TNT had still taking a lot of punishment, and it’s doubtful one move is enough to complete the transition. The strike exchange into the Backdrop Driver was beautiful, and quite possibly the best spot of the match thus far. The Running Elbow spot was incredibly well done for the first real near fall of the match.

The Irishwhip out of the Powerbomb setup is once again kind of odd, TNT could have easily side stepped into the ropes to set it up better. I don’t like TNT going from near dead to celebrating after the Half Nelson, maybe if he just took a little more time in getting to his feet, or even just used the ropes to assist himself, it wouldn’t have came off as bad selling. I’m not really sure about the purpose of the missed Moonsault if it’s only gonna lead to a Lariat/Mushroom Cloud near fall unless it’s just a deliberate swerve to make people think it’s gonna be a transition.

Interesting how we both used the Burning Hammer tease, but the kick wham ending left a bad taste in my mouth. It really doesn’t belong in such a grueling match, but I did request a one Powerbomb finish so it is one of the few ways you can pull it off convincingly. Despite a few nit picky flaws, the match was solid and the drama put it over the top.

EJIRO vs VA¡¦AIGA comments.

Again I say, Z¡K I was HCG Champion!

¡§Va¡¦aiga comes into this match a little lighter than we are used to seeing him,¡¨ notes The Cyclone Comet. ¡§I have to wonder if he dropped some weight in the last week in order to improve his stamina for what is sure to be a war of attrition between him and Fasaki.¡¨

Yeah, I spent all that time bulking up 20lbs too ļ

Boxing to start giving Va¡¦aiga a full Eight count! Don¡¦t mess with the Maori

Ejiro tries to get tricksy, and east a couple of shoulder blocks. K.I.S.S. in action. (Keep it simple, Stupid!)

Va¡¦aiaga busts out the full nelson (kiss that Duran!) and the Half Decapitator. Puts over the Decapitator proper.

Leg work from Ejiro and a FUNK SPINNING TOE HOLD~! Don¡¦t really like Va¡¦aiga screaming in terror, it¡¦s just a bit wussy sounding. Screaming in pain is fine, screaming in terror¡¦s a bit heely. Va¡¦aiga breaks Ejiro¡¦s momentum with a Capture Exploder. Funky.

Great bit of legwork from Ejiro.. and Va¡¦aiga with the ROLLUP? Ahhh I took the bit about hating cheap pins out of my style didn¡¦t it. I¡¦ll have to put that back in.

More funky legwork from Ejiro and the Powerbomb from Va¡¦aiga. Bit of fannying about and Ejiro takes control and goes back to the leg. Breaking the STF with a big ol¡¦ bite! JUSTICE~! And LUNCH~!

Trading bog moves, and STO for an overhead B2B. Few little covers (another Maori cradle), and other bit of Submissions from Ejiro and a Flash Maori Drop gets 2. Super Maori Drop (move that won me the SJL title, no less) gets countered.

Gah! DISGUSTING underselling of the Lariat from Kivell!

Va¡¦aiga kicks out of the chain strike! Go Va¡¦aiga!

Brawling form Va¡¦aiga, cheating from Ejiro¡K and you forgot a NO! with Ejiro¡¦s THREE with the super Memphis cheaty cheaty pin.

Second ONE-TWO-THREE-BOO-YAH! Misses. As it should, there¡¦s no way you should get away with two of them in a match.

Ejiro stalling out with slow and not overly deadly submission holds leads to the crazy finish with Va¡¦aiga busting out a bunch of big spots. Maori Drop gets THREE~! Just after time expires.

Well what did I think?

-ves neither guy REALLY got a run of moves going. It was all a bit of one guy, then a bit of the other. Don¡¦t think the Lariat got enough death going around it, cos it¡¦s basically my #2 move now, below the Drop. If you wanted a surefire pin for the match ending, maybe Genesis would have been the time to bust a Stinger out.

+ves Brilliantly written (duh) and the finish is a true MASTERWORK. I mean it rules, rules, rules, rules, rules. A match I¡¦m happy to lose to, and you won¡¦t hear that from me too often.

And now go read my match on the losers thread, you miserable bastards!

Guest Suicide King

that post hurt to read, Va'aiga. ;)

oh, and might I say that I liked your entrance much better than Ejiro's? The thought of twenty or so fully tattooed and appropriately dressed Maori warriors makes me wet myself in fear.

Guest Goodear
RIGHT! I DEMAND EJIRO BE STRIPPED OF THE US TITLE NOW! My charge is... RULING WAY TOO MUCH TO HOLD A LESSER TITLE!

Seriously, Tyler basically did 99% of the work and did a whole heck of a lot better job than I would have. Of course, I also had The Memphis Eel singing the National Anthem and Bobby Riley coming out to 'It's Raining Men' so you all missed out on stuff too.

Tom Flesher defeats The Judge William Hearford

Reverse order for once since most of the time comments flow from the start of the show to the end and ergo Tom barely ever gets any commentating love. The card of Superiority sort of lets everyone know that Taamo is not going to be his usual cocky self tonight as its basically a suck up job to The Garden. This sets the tone for the face turn coming down the pike and sort of shows an insight into why Tom is not going to be a cheating A-hole this time around. Of course, I think this could have been set up a bit more previous to the match to make it not seem quite so 'OK I'm a face now.'

We start off slow and grinding and I buy that since neither Tom nor Judge are really what you would call reckless. So starting out with a knucklelock and working from that makes perfect sense character wise. The riding segments of the match seem to indicate a slight advantage for Flesher which I think is good, and also establishes that Judge will do the dirty to get his way in there while Tom seems almost offended by the fishhooking that takes place. But rather than using that anger to go on a little surge that would have been a nice little face moment, Tom immediately gets sent right back down to the mat. Perhaps he's not into the anger enough just yet?

It's many words later and I'm getting Bob Backlund flashbacks as Tom keeps trying to roll Judge to the mat for three with little success. Suffice to say that the rallies that Tom is making seems sort of ... impactless. I don't know. I think if Tom is going to be a face he needs to up the tempo a bit as I could totally see this match being too slow to keep interest of like a common fan.

The chain thing is a well conceived part of the story that proves that. hey Tom wants to win this thing his own way. But I still think it should have been drawn out an inch or so more so we sort of feel a conflict in Flesher over the ease of getting himself DQ'd as opposed to doing things the hard way. At the same time, I think we could have used a bit more insight into Judge's reactions during the match as though he was expecting Flesher to do the same stuff he's always done before. Its almost as though everyone accepts Tom a bit too easily here and it could have used a bit more oomph as far as the turn was concerned.

Man, I feel like I'm slagging this match :( Sorry.

Man, 29 different matches and promos and segments... I didn't realize that this would take so fucking long to read. But I must get through it... *is still only on the second match* D'oh.

I must give a "good job" high-five to OC though. That intro was schweeeeet.

Seriously, Tyler basically did 99% of the work and did a whole heck of a lot better job than I would have. Of course, I also had The Memphis Eel singing the National Anthem and Bobby Riley coming out to 'It's Raining Men' so you all missed out on stuff too.

I know :(

I was gonna keep some of that, but by the time I dribbled into the end of it, I was too tired to add it :P

Guest Goodear

I feel as though there should be more comments in this thread, and so I add them.

Wildchild vs Johnny Dangerous

So Wildchild starts the match all crippled like since Johnny has already beaten the tar out of him earlier on, which is a good thing since it places Wildchild in the position he's best at as the underdog fighting from underneath. So I recommend renaming him Dominic Morton.

The start of the match is perfect as Johnny continues to build some heat over Wildchild by whipping the piss out of him and it makes Zombie Jesus cry but makes me happy since I know WC ain't gonna take that shit forever. But before he can do that, Johnny has to kick the crap out of him and thats what he does until Wildchild comes back with a flash pin backslide and I'm all "MORTON MORTON MORTON!" And god damn if Johnny D isn't playing the Arn Anderson to the Morton by cutting Wildchild off again and again whenever Wildchild shows the rally.

But as the chair is introduced we get away from the Morton-Anderson and move into a more Raven-Sabu vibe as Wildchild simply gets the tar beaten out of him with a backdrop onto the chair and I mark for backdrops for no good reason. But then Wildchild comes back with a plancha and I wonder if they would have been better off just having Wildchild go fucking bonkers or something. Which is fine since he goes bonkers later :) On the other hand, I think you gave Wildchild a bit too much offense in this section to continue to build heat. Oh and theres a touch too much in match dialouge between the wrestlers... try to tell thestory a bit more from the action and their minds, and a little less from their mouths.

AND WILDCHILD GOES CRAZZZZZZZZZY~! WHAMWHAMWHAMWHAMWHAM! Seriously I think this would have worked better with less Wildchild offense to this point but I already said that. I think though you guys should have done something more HOLY CRAP to set up the stretcher thing like a top rope German or something instead of a moonsault. It feels a little herky the way it is.

Oh and as a quibble, you punch out the referee but then have someone making counts without telling us who is doing it. Whatupwitdat? But its all good as we go into a WWE finisher counter flurry before Wildchild hits the Wild Ride and OMG this one is OVAH. Good stuff although the hardcore stuff I think sort of messed up the flow of the early pace, I still dug this thing. More beating on Wildchild would have made it more ducky though. MORTON MORTON MORTON!

Guest Goodear

AMERICAN GLADIATORS: RICO'S REVENGE

You know what this match needed as a start? Some sort of explanation of the rules since I wasn't sure if this was going to be a race or just four guys fighting in a game of Powerball but it all gets straitened out early and OMG Show is STILL selling the Demonstar Driver and everyone here should be all with the bowing and stuff!

HANDBIKE LEGDROP OF DOOOOOOOOM~!

“Good lord…Show just used the Maori Drop on Dante Crane!” notes Adamle.

“For once, I’d hate to be Show,” begins Hardy. “When he gets back to the arena, I’m deeply afraid that Va’aiga is going to ass rape him with a glass coated sponge boo yes!”

OH I knew I forgot to reference that in my match more than once! Damn you Double Jeopardy! BTW you two should always wear the American Gladiators gear. Just because it would be easier to work in than Tuxedos or what have you.

It seems after a while of ECW brawl-a-thon going back and forth that it turns into a contest of who can break up who's pin and thats fine with old Jiro as long as it pays off with a partner getting eliminated so we can get a double team for the victory. I also like the idea of Double J being a team that needs to be a team in order to win since they seem to have troubles whenever they get seperated.

MURDEROUS DDT OFF THE ZIPLINE!

LOW BLOWS SO NONE OF THESE PEOPLE CAN PROCREATE!

25 FOOT HIGH NECKBREAKER~!

Which thankfully keeps those two guys down long enough for Quiz and Crane go at it to finish this thing with the mother of all legdrops from 18 feet in the air! OH ME OH MY!

SPOT SPOT SPOT SPOT SPOT!

Seriously, not the deepest match of all time but still fun as all hell as Double J go crazy on everyone with the spot fest of impending doom. I really think these Dudley Boyz style brawls really work well for Quiz and Show and all they need to do is translate it into their in-ring style a bit more and both guys would find more success there. This is a good style for them and different from what most teams do so its unique to them in SWF which is always a good thing. Good work.

Guest Goodear

CAN'T STOP... CAN'T STOP THE ROCK!

Dace Night vs. Bastion vs. Michael Craven

I was thinking for a second that it would be cool to give the management types seperate entrances from their charges for the pops, but now that I think about it, I believe that you did the right thing. This way you put all the heat on the active guys who are going to actually be doing the fighting. Why put over retirees when the actives are standing right there? EXACTLY, YOU DON'T!

Craven starting out fast is good stuff and I like the way he knocked Bastion out of the ring early in that "lets eliminate The Undertaker from the Royal Rumble" kind of way. The Undertaker references continue as Bastion gets into the ring and can't seem to connect with the quicker Craven. The beating then begins about the way you'd expect it although I think you knocked Dace out of comission for too long during this section. I'm just having issue with having a guy that does the hardcore stuff getting taken out by a forearm.

But he gets up eventually and we're led to Bastion & Dace vs. Craven all by himself and its sad in a way that the least physical person in the ring has to deal with the stronger ones while he's also the heel. But the dynamic with Thugg trying to control Bastion going after Dace is well handled although you know that it can't last forever. After all, there can only be one commissioner, am I right?

(Riley) – But the thing is…this is a triple threat match. The need to just let them fight, and have confidence that your man will win out in the end. All of this forced teamwork is just hurting their chances to defeat King here.

See! I'm right! Although I think its interesting that Dace seems to be in a bit more control of his actions than crazy ass Bastion who is only holding on by a thread. But still, both men will come to blows...

Maybe?

INDEED!

It's fun to see King interfear in order to help Dace out and give him an opening to fight back after Craven got leveled with the choke-slam. Because, hey, he wants the match to conintue while Michael wakes the hell up from getting killed in a bad way. Then it becomes power versus power as Dace hits the mad German and a SUPERPLEX! But oh it takes it out of Dace to and he gets Spike Dudley'd all the way to the announce table!!!!!!!!

And then Bastion kills everything in a three mile radius.

Sweet Zombie Jesus.

Cool finishing flurry with Bastion getting chaired to hell and back in order to give Craven the opening to go for the Gulf Coast Crunch but instead get killed with the Black Nova and a Walk Off. But then Bastion kills Dace as well with the Third Stirke and only one man walks out of the ring which is cool when there are 5 other guys laid out around the ring. Good job getting most everyone over (Dace and Bastion for the most part, but even Craven as he was fighting two guys for most of the match).

Guest Goodear

I think John Duran needs the love since he's like Captain Underrated in Fasaki's book of LOOOOOVE and SOOOOONG.

John Duran vs. English Dragon

Duran immediately starts by saying "Hey, I'm the bigger heel. ME! I'm the big bad here folks" and I figure its a pretty good idea to get that up and out of the way before the match even starts in order to move us along the storyline path of John destroying Urban Decay and emerging as the worst of a bad bunch.

But he's not in charge as the match begins and Dragon lays the Ric Flair as a heel beatdown with chops and kicks and calling the people out of the ring filthy names we all know and love. But oh you can't brawl with a guy that has 40 pounds on you or something and John comes back with a clothesline to come back with.

The psychology of the match is interesting as John sells the jaw from the opening salvo which is a nice change from the usual neck-ribs-arm-leg wider choices that most people use. I would have really liked to have seen that play off a little more and have ED go back to the Euro uppers again and again as the match went on... but with John being heel I can see why he took charge and why he went to the piledriver.

The brass knuckles though sort of throws everything in a wacky space as Duran was getting the boos because he was acting more the heel. But nothing he did tops what ED just did with the knux and the crowd cheers? I think this section needed a bit more character interaction in order to solidify why exactly Dragon is getting the cheers and why Duran is getting the boos. But that might just be me.

The section with the Dragon Driver and The Ultimate Sin seem like a bit too much, "I hit you and now you hit me" for my liking as Duran seems in better shape than Dragon after gettting hit with brass knuckles and a Styles Clash. That seems sort of wonky to me although I appreciate you were trying to show that both men gave it their all before Duran had to resort to a burning hammer to get the deal done. But it seemed like you got caught in a time pinch or something and the last section is a little rushed.

What's left to cover?

... TBS did a squash and brought out Erek Taylor and that was some real promo goodness. I like shades of grey stuff like this and Edwin/Silent but we all know that Taylor does not seem on the road to the love train at the moment. I can't wait for some good old fashioned TBS killifying some snotty punk not named Ejiro :)

Guest Goodear

Mak Attack gets Knocked Back

You know what would be cool for Sacred's entrance? If he like actually did control the horizontal and vertical and they did a little static thing with the television set as part of his dealy. You know like Andy Kaufman used to do back in the day. I think that would be keen.

And both guys start out FAST and I like it since most submission-types (myself included) usually do a whole lot of stalling out in these things and this is a nice change of pace. The match continues along that path nicely with very little time being spent jockeying for position. The rolling suplex into a neckbreaker is especially swank and I wish to steal it but I can't :(

The match continues and we get some really fun submission work with the crossbow that almost never gets brought out around here as well as the triangle choke on the floor. The cross armbreaker finish of the first fall is the best though as it brings in the feeling of the Iron man between Danny and Mak.

And we are off into the quickest fall of the three as Sacred evens us up with the cattle mutilation after the chair shots. I think its neat that Blackwell waited until he hit something of note with the RKO before taking a shot with the chair. Notice during the first fall, Sacred never got that opening since he was going back and forth so very much. The counter to the Dragon sleeper was also keen.

FROG SPLASH THROUGH SPAIN! SUCK THAT CLICHE' DOWN!

But Mak hurts his knee and Sacred basically tries to make him eat it with enough jackal tactics to make me smile like a naughty little puppy. And after that Sacred simply puts Mak down finally with a totally appropriate submission without Mak making the mighty face rally and for some reason, that really, really works.

Good stuff, hand shakes all around.

OK... now that I have had time to finish reading the monster that is Genesis IV, i feel like I can make some comments, late though they may be...

Part One

Opening

Very well done. I particuarly liked using the actual lyrics from O Fortuna and wrapping the package around it. My only complaint would be the formnatting (I thought the giant green letters were a little much) and the length of some of the clips chosen. It doesn't move along at the crisp pace the music suggests, but a damn fine way to start the show nonetheless as it really gave it a big-show, special feeling.

WildChild / Johnny Promo

Well, I wasn't expecting that. I have to admit that when I read it my first thought was that this was a stryline way to write off the match because one of them no-showed and the other one wrote a 200 word special. Well written and suprising, it really set the tone for the show with a little twist, a little brutality and a good angle development.

Tales of the Tape

I'm going to cover them all here as they are pretty much the same throughout. I really liked this for a big show and I am hoping they don't get over-used. These feel to me like a great way to get a very special event over and I am afraid that I'm going to be seeing them in front of every match now.

Ejiro v. Va'aiga

- Va'aiga's entrance ruled. Shades of the Undertaker...

- Ejiro's entrance was wonderful and perfectly in character, but it felt rushed. Like there was more Ejiro wanted to say but felt he didn;t have time.

- Now we hit two of my pet peeves in a row. I hate it when wresters are announced after both entrances and after both are in the ring. I know this is how some promotions do it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I'd never mark off points for it in a match, but it does bug me. The other is this: In a title match, the referee will take the belt from the champion, show it to the challenger and then show it to all four sides of the arena. I think it ads importance to the start of the match, kind of a reminder of what is at stake.

- Good use of commentary early in the match to set up and reinforce the psychology.

- I like the contrast between Ejiro's techical and speed based styleand Va'aiga'a power based style. Ejiro played this off well, setting up some really nice visuals and good spots in the match middle.

- I like how hooking the leg is sold as an important thing. Always makes me a happy reader.

- As an aside to what I said before, Ejiro did a good job of making Va'aiga seem intelligent as opposed to writing him as a pure monster which would have been really easy given the "tech v power" theme.

- Don't ask me why, but I thought Va'aiga escapingthe STF by biting Ejiro was great.

- I didn't think I was going to like the time-limit draw, as I am not a big fan of time-limis in the first place. However, it was built to well and I think Ejiro pulled it off. Would I rather have had a decisive ending? well, yes. But this is a fine match that made Ejiro look like the canny catch-as-catch-can wrestler he is and made Va'aiga look strong. Well done.

TBS Promo

hehe... "Mr. Strangler". That's funny. And I weep for the secretarial staff that organizes lists by first names. The only complaint about this is that is almost over-sells the Wilson thing and that immediatly made me think swerve. But I think it did a very effective job at painting TBS as on edge and a little paranoid that Wilson is coming back. Good build for later.

WildChild Update

Nice little moment here as WC is taken away by ambulance. As I said, on first reading I was sure this was setting up a "no-show / 200 word match" thing, but I liked the way it was handled. This is the kind of simple little thing that really sells the story and makes the show seem more like a real wrestling program.

Part Two

Duran v. E Dragon

- A little odd bit of banter at the beginning. I am a little confused by it.

- I like that, in the entrance, you mention the set pieces.

- I'm not up on the history of Urban Decay, as I have not seen that much of the SJL in recent times, but I like that this is more than just a "match at Genesis". There was some effort put into making this seem important.

- Dragon dominates the early going convincingly. Duran makes him look like a million bucks.

- I'm not sure that using the commentary to point out lapses in the psychology of the match is such a good idea. It makes the reader think that maybe this match isn't well-written.

- I really like selling Duran's first comeback the way it was, a spurt of adrenaline and when it starts to wear off, he feels his aches and pains again. Very nice touch.

- Just a writing tip... be careful about repeating words too close to one another. I noticed a couple of instances where this really pulled me out of the match.

- I doubt Comet would ever excuse using brass nuks in a match.

- Noting the jaw pain that isn't fading is a nice way to introduce an injury

- The finish seemed a little weak to me. Just like the match was going along and building nicely, then people were kicking out of finishers... and then it was over.

- The extra-curriculars were nice... straight and to the point. I'm glad the Urban Decay thing was settled nicely at the biggest show of the year.

- Overall, it was a decent match. I think both of these guys have potential and showed a little bit of it here. Duran has a way to go before he is ready to play in the ME, but will get there.

ELM via Satellite

Nice of ELM to come back and put over not only the Fed but the workers and some of the matches on the show. Good times... good times...

TBS v. JD

- Nice commentary to transition into the match and a nice setup of the storyline leading into the match.

- I imagine there are some guys in the Luxury suite wondering "What the hell?"

- I like the start with JD getting the suprise fast start and Strangler getting more and more frustrated.

- Strangler's comeback was well-timed and written well.

- And it's over. Not that I'm complaining. This match wasn't here to see a classic between TBS and JD, it was here to advance the TBS / masked man storyline. I can accept that and I think it was a good use for a throwaway match.

Chris Raynor Promo

Caveman Chris returns and tears up the joint. Nice to see a little nostalgia in the middle of the show, and after the suspense and danger of the TBS segment, this worked really well.

Mak Francis v. Sacred

- The first few lines are great.

- The writing style in this macth is very fluid and descriptive while not being clinical. Good job.

- Another personal peeve... I can't imagine the ring announcer calling it the ICTV title, especially not at the biggest PPV of the year. It should be the Intercontinental-Televion Championship.

- Shades of Shawn Micheals as Mak enters via zip line. A nice youch, befitting the biggest PPV of the year.

- And to give credit where it is due, I like the wrestler's reaction to the ref holding the title aloft. Classy, and very nice.

- Nice open, although I'm not sure how some of the physics work, but I like the hot start to the match.

- Thank God we have people who remember that the ropes don't break holds in these matches. Yes, I know it was on the card, but this is the kind of oversight that drives me nuts.

- I like the very basic psychology in the early pasrt of the match and the back and forth action. The commentary really sells what is happening in the ring.

- Lots of nice action in this match, but I'm not sure, as I said above, the transitions would actually work. They seem to be very complicated and i have a hard time picturing them.

- I'm not sure about casting Francis as a rookie who doesn't know the rules. In the first half of the match he both tries for a rope break in a match where they don't work and releases Sacred from a submission when he taps on the outside. I think this makes Mak seem a little dense, as I haven;t gotten the impression he is "overwhelmed by rage" or anything.

-

At this point, I’d like to remind the reader that I haven’t slept, and am heavily medicated.
- Huh?

- Good finish for the match, and the bit with Mak's g/f was melodramatic, it was effective, giving Mak a reason to give up before Sacred snapped his leg.

- Overall, it was incredibly well written, but the story was a little off and not as consistent as I usually expect from Sacred.

TBS Promo

Very nice little promo here, as we get swerved and Erek Taylor comes back to menace TBS. Effectively written and nicely paced, this not only gives us a reintroduction to the Taylor character but a look into his first feud against TBS. We are left wondering who will be the face and the heel in this and I think that is a nice touch for a big show like this. Very good.

DeKindes Promo

Short and sweet, and sets up a key point in the Danny / TNT match later.

WC v. Johnny D

- Great intro peice for the match as Johnny leads us down the "no match" path then springs WC on us. I approve.

- Hot start to the match with Johnny getting the advantage meakes sense and works well, but for a real crowd pop letting WC run the table on Johnny and clearing him out of the ring would have been a nice touch too.

- Good commentary moves you along in the match while highlighting the strategy and psychology. And I mark for the "International Object" coming from Comet. Works very well. Add in the misinformed" comment and you add in some nice foreshadowing...

- This match, as a hardcore match between these two should be, is spotarific.

- Good focus on WC's ribs. That keeps the match grounded even with all of the massive spotyness.

- Johnny is still selling the neck? Awesomeness. I love continutity.

- I don't know if the faux stretcher job was needed. It didn't really sell the injuries any more than they already were and seemed to take all of the wind out of the match.

- I think someone mentioned this before, but who is doing the counting? The ref was knocked out and you didn't have another one run down. Little things like that drop me out of the match and make me remember I am reading a fictional account of a match.

- The Diamond Cutter - German Suplex - etc. spot sounded way too acrobatic and comlicated to really work. Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it sounds like they do two or three mid-air shifts and that is one or two too many.

- Good finish, built to by a long and painful match.

- Overall, a really fun and well paced HC match. On top of which, it is a great way to blow off the WC / Johnny D feud and transition them into something else. Nicely done.

Frost promo

OK... fine... I'll admit it. While I thought Frost was funny here and overall I liked this promo, particuarly placed as it was after the bloodbath of the previous match... I... I... I just don't like the Memphis Eel. I know, I'm a bad person. I don't find him funny at all.

XStacy promo

So... X is back. That is a good thing if he came back with the fire I remember from when I was still active. The promo itself was super for what it was, and the kind of thing I would expect to see on a real PPV. Fast teaser to get people to watch the next show for a returning superstar.