TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ANKLELOCK

BIG Game Tonight on MNF

Guest Ronixis

This gets my "What the fuck is up with this?" vote of the year.

I think Manning Became a Man Tonight. 5 Years and hes has finally maturated. Harrison was a fucking HOSS tonight.

BUT GOD DAMN.

WHY IN THE HELL was that call MADE?

Guest El Satanico

I can accept that they can't dominate every team...doesn't mean they aren't great. In this era no defense will dominate every week. There's too many quality teams now.

The Bears wouldn't have been nearly as dominating if they played now.

First of all, it was not a roughing the kicker call. It was running into the kicker. It was not a good call, but don't say Johnny Grear called a roughing 15 yarder when it was only the 5 yarder. And again, it could have been considered running into the kicker. He did not block the punt, and he was occupying a spot that the punter needed due to his momentum, so it could have been considered running into the kicker.

The leaping was the right call. The rule sucks, and the spirit of the rule was not being followed when the call was made, but it was the call according to the rulebook.

So, did the refs make the right calls? Yeah, they did, but they're judgment calls. Of course, would the world be better if they didn't make either of them? Heck yeah. Should they have called them? Absolutely not. But they did, and they could be considered the right calls.

I do agree that the calls hurt the ending of the game. It's like a DQ finish in a world title match on PPV - just a bitter way to end a game.

Jason

Edit: Before someone picks my words apart, there is a difference between the right call and a good call. The right call is one that is made according to the rulebook (which both of them could be considered, since they're both judgment calls and were close). A good call is one made in the spirit of the game with an "advantage/disadvantage" thought process. If a team gains an advantage from the rulebreaking, then the flag should be thrown (if it were the other way, flags would be thrown on every play).

Guest El Satanico

Exactly...they were the proper calls according to the strict word of the rule book.

I had no problem with the actual calls. It's the judgment of the refs I had a problem with.

Exactly...they were the proper calls according to the strict word of the rule book.

I had no problem with the actual calls. It's the judgment of the refs I had a problem with.

Same here. But everyone seemed to be ripping on the refs for the rule interpretation, which is wrong. They should be ripped on for not having common sense.

Jason

Na, the roughing/running into the kicker call was horrible. The Defender was laying on the ground, and Tupa basically leaned into his body hoping to draw a call. The officials as usual were duped into throwing a late flag. Tupa has a history of doing this so the officials should have been on top of it better.

Guest El Satanico

At this point the running into the kicked call is meaningless. It didn't directly affect the outcome of the game and there's no more reason to mention it.

The leaping call is the only bad call that matters now.

At this point the running into the kicked call is meaningless. It didn't directly affect the outcome of the game and there's no more reason to mention it.

The leaping call is the only bad call that matters now.

To relate this to wrestling, the finish is a screwjob when something like this directly affects the finish. After the kickout, the match becomes "clean" again.

OK, I'm a nerd.

Jason

I think the NFL fucked up hardcore tonight. That really broke kayfabe. If they keep doing shit like that, more people are gonna realize that it's fixed.

I mean the 21 point comeback in 4 minutes wasn't enough for them. They had to make up a new rule. Give me a fucking break.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

*relishes in the glorious Colts victory*

Hell, I'm from indiana, and the guys I work with were all calling a Bucs victory. They thought I was nuts, and rubbed it in when we saw it at 35-14 in the 4th.

I LOVE it...mwahahaha.

Guest Flyboy
If they keep doing shit like that, more people are gonna realize that it's fixed.

... Yes, football is fixed. I knew it all along~

The leaping was the right call. The rule sucks, and the spirit of the rule was not being followed when the call was made, but it was the call according to the rulebook

Well, according the the graphic on Sportscenter, the rule is you can't leap onto another player's back in order to try to block a kick. The TB guy didn't do that. He leapt, then landed on another player's back on his way down.

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

worst call ever.

literally every single thing that happened in the game doesn't even matter now, it ended on the worst call ever.

The leaping was the right call. The rule sucks, and the spirit of the rule was not being followed when the call was made, but it was the call according to the rulebook

Well, according the the graphic on Sportscenter, the rule is you can't leap onto another player's back in order to try to block a kick. The TB guy didn't do that. He leapt, then landed on another player's back on his way down.

That is not what the ref called.

There is another rule that says that a player who is more than one yard behind the line of scrimmage who gets a running start and leaps to block a kick, is not allowed to land on any of the players, which is what Rice did.

Ah, well, Sportscenter didn't put up that rule on the screen (or at least they didn't at ~ 7:12 this morning).

What's the point of that rule, anyway?

So you can't have extended time in the air to block a kick, I assume.

For instance, if you land on someone's back, you'll have additional airtime to keep yourself off the ground.

And this rule was stated by Al Michaels during the contest.

BUT, as Salisbury pointed out on SportsCenter, he did land on someone who was blocked into him, which may or may not negate the rule (and was something I didn't see when I originally made the post which stated that the ruling was technically "correct" even if it was made in piss-poor taste).

Jason

How many times does that shit happen and not get called? I'd wager to say at least once every game, and to hinge the entire outcome of a game on a completely asinine, nit-picky call like that is fucked up at best. Granted, this was the sort of fourth quarter collapse not seen in Florida since Ron Zook's Gators gave up a seemingly insurmountable lead to Miami a few weeks ago, but the game absolutely should not have ended with that penalty affecting the outcome.

And all of this criticism of the Tampa Bay defense is unwarranted, as far as I'm concerned. One bad quarter shouldn't make all of their other many accomplishments negligible.

How much bitching would have been made had the Bucs gotten a first down after that BULLSHIT running into the kicker call and hit the field goal. 2 bullshit calls, the Colts capitalized on the one that helped them.

And Keyshawns shit talking took me from not caring who won the game to staying up till one to watch the Colts win game.

yes Keyshawn...he IS the best(or second best) reciever in the league.

And I agree that Tampa just got a inmportant guy hurt and the Colts picked on the missmatch and the D just got TIRED.

Guest El Satanico

Wait...the Bucs didn't even get a first down due to the running into the kicker call?

Then why the hell are we bringing it up?

they got a first down. It was a 5 yarder instead of a 15 yarder, but it was only 4th and 2.

They certainly did get a first down out of it. They were one first down from field goal range in the next series.

Guest El Satanico

Oh

Well the call still didn't affect the outcome of the game. I believe it's time to forget that call.

Oh

Well the call still didn't affect the outcome of the game. I believe it's time to forget that call.

Only if we forget the Leaping call. They both had the POTENTIAL to effect the game. Indy Capitalized(barely) while Tampa didn't(almost did).

Well, the call against Tampa was a little more harmful when you consider that it moved one of the most accurate field goal kickers in the league closer to the goal posts after a rare miss. But it really comes down to it being a really atrocious call that never should have had to have been made in the first place, had Tampa been able to put up any sort of resistance whatsoever in the latter portion of the fourth quarter.

Guest El Satanico

It doesn't matter what could've happened, because the kicker call didn't lead to a Tampa victory. Which means there's no reason to mention it now. The leaping call gave Indy the win, so the kicker call doesn't compare at all. So I fail to see why we should now ignore both.

Tampa's special teams nearly made both calls meaningless when they tipped the second FG. Unfortunaly, it wasn't enough to make the FG miss and make both bad calls disappear.

The reason they both are relevant(or not) is that they both had the POTENTIAL to win the game for thier respective teams. Giving a team a first down PAST midfield is a BIG bad call. If the Bucs had gotten 4 more yards, they would have been in range for a 52-53 yard FG attempt. They didn't get there BUT that doesn't invalidate the fact that they were given this chance on a BAD call.

The biggest thing about this bad call is that it WASN'T a running into the kicker at all. It was a bad call. The leaping penalty was actually right...verbatim to the rule book. Was it a cheap ass call? Yes...but at least it was right. The Colts were 4 yards from losing due to a bad call and the Bucs were a couple of inches from getting the ball back despite a bad call.

How one call is irrelevant just because it didn't work out for the Bucs is beyond me.

the leaping call wasn't even right. By the time Rice came down on top of his guy the ball was already past him.

The biggest thing about this bad call is that it WASN'T a running into the kicker at all. It was a bad call. The leaping penalty was actually right...verbatim to the rule book. Was it a cheap ass call? Yes...but at least it was right. The Colts were 4 yards from losing due to a bad call and the Bucs were a couple of inches from getting the ball back despite a bad call.

I'm not even concerned at this point whether the calls are still relevant or not. The rules really need to be looked at, particularly when something like that leaping call...which wouldn't have even affected the play had it not been called...can completely change the outcome of the game. Same thing with the Tuck Rule in that Oakland-New England game two years ago: By rule a good call, but anyway with half a brain knew that Brady wasn't trying to throw that football unless it was to himself. Same thing with this "leaping" call. Technically the correct call, but he wasn't trying to gain momentum. Christ, he jumped straight up and down! How do you gain leverage going straight up and down?