TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

Kill Bill: volume 1

I can only add to what everyone has already said.

The movie Kicked Ass.

I was expecting to like it and at best think it was a great "popcorn" movie (which it is and then some). But I was blown away, the movie never lets up. Whenever it gives you a chance to start thinking it's dragging, it just comes back at you.

I wasn't sure if I would be into a tribute to Hong Kong action films, not having seen many of those type of films, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Jeffery Welles on movepoopshoot.com put it this way:

"Watching this I realized, Quentin made this because the movies he's paying tribute to made him feel the way this movie makes me feel."

Kill Bill Vol. 1 is one of the best movies of the year.

I can't wait for part 2.

I just got back from attempting to see it but the retards at the cinema shorted out the power in both theaters showing it so we had to see School of Rock instead. But by tuesday it will be mine.

You must see the movie. Gordan Liu, Sonny Chiba, and the girl from Battle Royal rule. The movie F'N owns so much that it had a Shaw Brothers intro!

I have seen it once, and want to see it again this week. A new discount theater opened in town that is only $3 per ticket so you can bet your ass that as soon as it hits the discount theater it will get another few views out of me. Did anyone else notice the "69" on the heart monitor thing? I am sure there were a lot more obscure things then that though.

I have seen it once, and want to see it again this week. A new discount theater opened in town that is only $3 per ticket so you can bet your ass that as soon as it hits the discount theater it will get another few views out of me. Did anyone else notice the "69" on the heart monitor thing? I am sure there were a lot more obscure things then that though.

I didn't even think like that when I saw it.

My thoughts are in the other folder.

Notice in the scene with Vivica Fox, Uma did the not a square thing.

yah I remember that too. I forgot to check clocks and watches and stuff to see if they were all set to 4:20 like they have been in Tarantino's movies.

I thought it was tremendous. It was the kind of movie all those summer flicks wish they could have been, and I imagine it'll be the best movie to come out this year, until Return of the King. It got a 9/10 from me, in the forthcoming review you'll all be able to read on 411. :D

Guest Flyboy
It was the kind of movie all those summer flicks wish they could have been, and I imagine it'll be the best movie to come out this year, until Return of the King.

That's exactly what I said to my uncle. Although, Kill Bill set the standard mighty high for RotK.

I thought it was tremendous. It was the kind of movie all those summer flicks wish they could have been, and I imagine it'll be the best movie to come out this year, until Return of the King. It got a 9/10 from me, in the forthcoming review you'll all be able to read on 411. :D

not quite.

lost in translation > kill bill

I'd beg to differ. While I enjoy both flicks immensely, Lost in Translation didn't leave me with that "WOW" element when it was all said and done. I was able to know (at that time) that Lost in Translation was the best film I'd seein in 2003 but it was more because I couldn't think of any of film that left me as satisfied (the torch bearer being Matrix Reloaded before that). Kill Bill was completely different. This movie not only left me satisfied at the end, it managed to make me think "this is great" more times than I can count during the actual movie. It's not just a matter of new shock stimuli that was keeping me going, there were so many elements to the flick like the tribute pieces I brought up in a previous post and that fantastic score (that has got to win some kind of award) that kept me hooked right from the get go.

I can only suspect that Lost In Translation may be something that will age better than Kill Bill over the years because the second viewing of each will reap completley countering results (I havne't watched Kill Bill a second time but I'll be interested to read people's 2nd impression thoughts because the shock value will be gone). In the meantime, I stand by my thoughts that Kill Bill was the best movie of 2003.

I'd beg to differ. While I enjoy both flicks immensely, Lost in Translation didn't leave me with that "WOW" element when it was all said and done. I was able to know (at that time) that Lost in Translation was the best film I'd seein in 2003 but it was more because I couldn't think of any of film that left me as satisfied (the torch bearer being Matrix Reloaded before that). Kill Bill was completely different. This movie not only left me satisfied at the end, it managed to make me think "this is great" more times than I can count during the actual movie. It's not just a matter of new shock stimuli that was keeping me going, there were so many elements to the flick like the tribute pieces I brought up in a previous post and that fantastic score (that has got to win some kind of award) that kept me hooked right from the get go.

I can only suspect that Lost In Translation may be something that will age better than Kill Bill over the years because the second viewing of each will reap completley countering results (I havne't watched Kill Bill a second time but I'll be interested to read people's 2nd impression thoughts because the shock value will be gone). In the meantime, I stand by my thoughts that Kill Bill was the best movie of 2003.

I didn't see lost in traslation but if the performances in the previews do it any justice(and every reviewer on the green earth has said that it does) I think Mystic River might just come alone and nab the "Best of" for the year.

Best movie I've seen in a LONG time as well. I blew me away. I went to teh sneak preview thingy, witha couple of buds, and we all loved it. I seen it again on Saturday, and I'm going with someone else tonight.

Kill Bill = the shiznit

Kill Bill Murry....

But seriously you cannot compare the 2 movies as they are in different genres, Lost in Translation is a dark comedy right? How can you compare a comedy to the most violent movie of the year?

Guest El Satanico

He wasn't comparing Lost In Translation to Kill Bill. All he said was that Lost In Translation is the best film of 2003 not Kill Bill.

Well unfortunatly my small town does not show independent movies so I have no idea how great Lost in Translation is.

So far Kill Bill is my favorite half movie/sequel today.

Guest El Satanico
Kill Bill should get nominated for Best Score, Director, Costume, Editing.

Those are the only noms it would get. Well I doubt it would get a best director nom.

Guest Boomer Sprinklespax

Oh yeah, Kill Bill owned my motherfucking soul. I'll have to see it again, but it is probably my favorite movie this year so far (it's between Kill Bill and Lost In Translation thus far). Everyone should see this for its originality and style alone (much like the afforementioned Lost In Translation). Everything was just so weird and innovative - the structure, the splatter, the anime scene, the color changes, the characters, the simplicity, EVERYTHING. Its a throwback homage to so many things that it really carves its own niche and becomes something totally unique and different in the process. I don't know if it's as good as Pulp Fiction (like I said, I'll have to see it again), but it's certainly a worthy follow-up, much worthier than Jackie Brown ever was.

Anyways...I think it may be time for a sig change...

I've never seen Jackie Brown, but I heard that it's "ok at best".

Jackie Brown is probably at the bottom of the rung for most people....but it also wasn't an original script by Quentin, which is probably why it lacked a bit. The ones he did original scripts for were Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and True Romance(though he didn't direct that one)

Guest El Satanico

Jackie Brown may be at the bottom of the directed by Tarantino ladder, but it's not a bad movie. Jackie Brown is actually a very good movie and is at the bottom of the ladder by default.

I mean he's only directed 4 films 2 of which are considered classics and 1 that is destined to be consider a classic. One of them has to be considered his "worst", but it's not such a bad place to be.

I looooooooove Chiaki Kuriyama aka Go Go. (She was the chick from Battle Royale.)

GoGo.jpg

:wub:

has anyone notice the resemblence between go go yabari and mia wallace from pulp fiction or that the bride mimicked darth vader during the hospital scent?

Speaking of Battle Royale, how was it? I have heard mixed reviews. I want to see it, but since it is a foreign film, seeing it means buying it. If it is good, then I have no problem buying it. The Plot sounds killer and I am sure there are a bunch of cool looking kill-scenes.