TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Evolution

Smartmarks Fake Baseball League

Well, not THAT bad a first start for the Jokers. I'm just surprised that we got 11 hits but only scored 4 runs. Where is this offensive machine I keep hearing about? RUN SUPPORT, people, run support.

Oh, and while I'm here, after the NBA Finals are over, I'm pinning this thread until football season. It's popular, and Evo keeps up with it, so he deserves some love.

Er.....some platonic, moderator-poster love, that is.

Well, not THAT bad a first start for the Jokers. I'm just surprised that we got 11 hits but only scored 4 runs. Where is this offensive machine I keep hearing about? RUN SUPPORT, people, run support.

The problem with our team is we can hit, but can't get the people around the base paths to the home plate. That's why I asked for my team to make some trades for Hunter and to get Otiz, but apparently LV is kinda stupid in trading away Hunter, but oh well. I got a damn good pitcher (not really meaning to suck up) finally, so hopefully we can do something.

Hey Evo, any possible way LVJ can look into making some trades to get a couple of people who can make stuff happen? I mean, we just seem to always keep on doing nothing for the amount of hits. This team is as bad as my Montreal Expos in my MLB 2004 Dynasty. Hits like mad crazy, but puts up like 1/4th the run totals for the amount of hits.

Guest Obrechtion

As Paco Fernandez's agent, he wants to thank the Jackoffs for drafting him to a playoff contender.

Guest Evolution

Day 3 Completed

Stage 1 Completed

SFBL Cup Standings

SFBL Cup Box Scores and Game Logs

The Cup Leaders has been updated through Day 2, but it became tedious and I knew that it would waste time that people would rather see spent on the season, so I scrapped it.

Your matchups for the Round of 14.

First Round

(Columbus Pride and Memphis Eels receive byes into the second round due to their performance in the first stage)

New York Bums vs. Detroit Motor Vehicles

Montreal Fritures de Liberte vs. Houston Horny Toads

Boston Tea Baggers vs. Jacksonville Jackoffs

Chicago Transit Authority vs. Los Angeles Glory Holes

Baltimore Crime Spree vs. Phoenix Ashes

Seattle Frasiers vs. Charlotte Harlots

Second Round

Columbus Pride vs. Winner of Seattle/Charlotte

Memphis Eels vs. Winner of Baltimore/Phoenix

Winner of New York/Detroit vs. Winner of Montreal/Houston

Winner of Boston/Jacksonville vs. Winner of Chicago/Los Angeles

Semi-Finals

Columbus/Seattle/Charlotte vs. Memphis/Baltimore/Phoenix

New York/Detroit/Montreal/Houston vs. Boston/Jacksonville/Chicago/Los Angeles

Finals

Columbus/Seattle/Charlotte/Memphis/Baltimore/Phoenix

vs.

New York/Detroit/Montreal/Houston/Boston/Jacksonville/Chicago/Los Angeles

Guest The Real Modest Mouse
Looks like I'll be carrying Montreal eh? God damn at Columbus though...15-1 drubbing of New Jersey, ouch.

Now now. I *am* on the team as well.

Then again, why in the HELL am I not starting? *starting to get anxious*

Looks like I'll be carrying Montreal eh? God damn at Columbus though...15-1 drubbing of New Jersey, ouch.

You are a newbie to the league, right? You gotta show your stuff playing filler roles. I did that for my first season as well.

Was there a reason I started all three Cup games for the Jokers? I mean, it's fairly obvious that I was going to get shelled in the other two starts. Is someone trying to sabotage my career and my future endorsement deals here or what?

Guest FrigidSoul

I just pitched a perfect game in college. I thought you all should know that.

Guest Evolution
Was there a reason I started all three Cup games for the Jokers? I mean, it's fairly obvious that I was going to get shelled in the other two starts. Is someone trying to sabotage my career and my future endorsement deals here or what?

Actually, allow me to explain how the SFBL Cup works.

The pairings are done manually and are each individually done using a feature in OOTP called "Exhibition Game".

What this does is takes the best lineup the team as and also uses the #1 starter as the starting pitcher. Kostka is the #1 starter on Las Vegas, and thus he was used all three times.

The SFBL Cup is supposed to illustrate what each team is like at their absolute peak, and thus is not a good gauge as to how the rest of the season will go for the respective teams. Montreal, for example, likely won't finish second in their division like they did at the conclusion of Stage 1 of the SFBL Cup.

You suffered no fatigue from Day 1 to Day 2, you were fresh each time, the fact you got shelled those last two times is simply a testament to your pitching skills (or lack thereof).

Guest Evolution

The reason that Brandon Rhodes is not starting:

Brandon Rhodes is a second baseman.

David Hunter is a second baseman.

David Hunter > Brandon Rhodes

Understand?

Guest Evolution

The first round in the Round of 14 has been completed, as 14 has now become eight.

SFBL Cup Box Scores and Game Logs

Remaining Pairings:

Columbus Pride vs. Seattle Frasiers

Memphis Eels vs. Phoenix Ashes

New York Bums vs. Montreal Fritures de Liberte

Boston Tea Baggers vs. Chicago Transit Authority

Semi-Finals

Columbus/Seattle vs. Memphis/Phoenix

New York/Montreal vs. Boston/Chicago

Finals

Columbus/Seattle/Memphis/Phoenix

vs.

New York/Montreal/Boston/Chicago

Guest The Real Modest Mouse

The reason that Brandon Rhodes is not starting:

Brandon Rhodes is a second baseman.

David Hunter is a second baseman.

David Hunter > Brandon Rhodes

Understand?

Fine, then move me to a position where another guy sucks.

That or just leave me pissed off. :(

Guest Evolution

SFBL-TSM SCOUTING REPORTS

Carlos DeSantis

Carlos DeSantis is the complete modern player. He can do it all, both on the field and off the field. A perennial, All-Star caliber player. A natural hitter, Carlos covers the plate well. Carlos has explosive power. Look for him to go deep often. He has a pretty good eye at the plate. He will draw his share of free passes, but won't hesitate to go after his pitch. Carlos is tough to fan. He gets the bat on the ball most of the time. He is an average runner, and not really much of a threat to steal. Carlos is an average first baseman defensively. He has decent range and will make most routine plays, but certainly will not dazzle you with his glove.

Shiro Suzuki

Shiro Suzuki has a ton of raw ability, but can't seem to put it all together, and will probably never evolve to be a star player. Shiro has decent batting skills, and will get his share of base hits. He has pretty good pop in his bat, and will post solid HR figures each season. Patience is really not a strength of Shiro. He won't draw many walks, and usually will go after the first decent pitch he sees. Shiro does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. Combines excellent speed with a runner's instincts and is able to steal 30 bases a season easily. Shiro is not a very good defensive third baseman. He doesn't have much range, and almost seems like he's playing out of position. Don't count on any fielding awards at third base.

John Duran

John Duran can make the occasional start, and might even be a platoon candidate on some clubs. But his value as an everyday player is highly questionable. John doesn't hit much for average, but with lots of hard work in the cage, he could improve significantly. He has pretty good pop in his bat, and will post solid HR figures each season. He often swings at bad pitches and struggles to go deep in the count. John does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. Lefties seem to give him more trouble than righties. He is very slow on the basepaths, so it is strictly station-to-station when he gets on. John has a good arm, and will throw out a lot of base runners. His arm commands respect, and baserunners are much more cautious.

Ben Dover

Ben Dover is destined to be a career minor leaguer at best. He just is not a big league pitcher. Getting hitters out is no problem for Ben. He has good command of the strike zone and how to use it. At times he works a little too high in the zone, leading to balls leaving the park. Control is a BIG problem for Ben. He really struggles to find the plate. Ben depends on his control and ability to change speeds to keep hitters off balance, rather than relying on the strikeout. Lefties give him more trouble than righties. His move to first is deceptively good, but he does tend to lose focus from time to time. His defense is adequate, he doesn't hurt himself too much with the glove.

Giant Gonzales

Giant Gonzales has slightly above-average stuff. He's good enough to be in the upper part of most rotations, and gets the job done. Getting hitters out is no problem for Giant. He has good command of the strike zone and how to use it. Although he will give up the occasional HR, he is pretty good at keeping balls in the field of play. He has good control and can usually put his pitches right where he wants them. Giant will get a good share of K's during the season. His move to first is deceptively good, but he does tend to lose focus from time to time. His defense is adequate, he doesn't hurt himself too much with the glove.

RJ Frost

RJ Frost is an oustanding player, some might even say a star. You'll never have to worry about this guy - he will deliver. RJ has above average hand-eye coordination. He makes frequent contact. RJ has explosive power. Look for him to go deep often. He has a pretty good eye at the plate. He will draw his share of free passes, but won't hesitate to go after his pitch. RJ is tough to fan. He gets the bat on the ball most of the time. He is an average runner, and not really much of a threat to steal. RJ is a spectacular first baseman. He has incredible range and soft hands. He makes the easy plays, the hard plays, and everything in between.

Winston Ghandi

Winston Ghandi is an outstanding player, some might even say a star. You'll never have to worry about this guy - he will deliver. Winston shows outstanding balance at the plate, and has a smooth, classic stroke that you see in the game's best hitters. He has pretty good pop in his bat, and will post solid HR figures each season. He has a great eye and uncanny patience at the plate. 100 walks in a season are no problem for this guy, and most pitchers consider it a moral victory to strike him out. Winston is tough to fan. He gets the bat on the ball most of the time. He has amazing speed, but takes too many foolish risks on the basepaths and as a result doesn't steal as many bases as you might expect. Winston is an average shortstop defensively. He has decent range and will make most routine plays, but certainly will not dazzle you with his glove.

Eric LeBeau

Eric LeBeau is an exceptional pitcher. He has every tool needed to be a No. 1 starter in the majors. Eric constantly keeps hitters off balance and guessing. At times he works a little too high in the zone, leading to balls leaving the park. He has good control and can usually put his pitches right where he wants them. Eric will get a good share of Ks during the season. His move to first is deceptively good, but he does tend to lose focus from time to time. His defense is adequate, he doesn't hurt himself too much with the glove.

Logan Caldwell

Logan Caldwell will be one of the better players on most teams. He can do a lot at the plate, and will definitely contribute. Logan shows outstanding balance at the plate, and has a smooth, classic stroke that you see in the game's best hitters. Logan has explosive power, look for him to go deep often. He often swings at bad pitches and struggles to go deep in the count, however. Logan does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. He is a burner, and will also steal a few bases along the way. Logan is an average third baseman defensively. He has decent range and will make most routine plays, but certainly will not dazzle you with his glove.

David Hunter

David Hunter will contribute a lot to the team. He's got a great stroke, some nice pop in his bat and is a lot of fun and well-liked in the clubhouse. David has decent batting skills, and will get his share of base hits. He has pretty good pop in his bat, and will post solid HR figures each season. He often swings at bad pitches and struggles to go deep in the count, however. David is tough to fan, he gets the bat on the ball most of the time. He is one of the best baserunners in the league, a guy most managers will let steal at will. David is not a very good defensive second baseman. He doesn't have much range, and almost seems like he's playing out of position. Don't count on any Glass Ceiling awards from David Hunter.

Marvin Jenkins

Marvin Jenkins makes good pitches and gets hitters out. He could really anchor a pitching staff. Plus, he is a fierce competitor. Marvin constantly keeps hitters off balance and guessing. You'd be lucky if you see a homer hit against this guy. He has good control and can usually put his pitches right where he wants them. Marvin will pile up the strikeouts. With his stuff, he can simply blow hitters away. He has a pretty good move to first, this is something he has worked really hard on. His defense is adequate, he doesn't hurt himself too much with the glove.

Rolf Dreikugeln

Rolf Dreikugeln has two really outstanding pitches as the foundation of his arsenal. A great addition to any bullpen, who intimidates opponents with his cool demeanor. Getting hitters out is no problem for Rolf. He has good command of the strike zone and how to use it. He generally keeps the ball in the park. Rolf does a good job keeping the ball down, making it tough to hit out of the yard. He has good control and can usually put his pitches right where he wants them. Dreikugeln is a true power pitcher. Rolf can just flat-out throw it by anyone. Lefties give him more trouble than righties, however. His move to first is deceptively good, but he does tend to lose focus from time to time. His defense is adequate, he doesn't hurt himself too much with the glove.

Edward James

Edward James is the complete modern player. He can do it all, both on the field and off the field. A perennial, All-Star caliber player. Edward shows outstanding balance at the plate, and has a smooth, classic stroke that you see in the game's best hitters. He's one of the game's premiere sluggers, no doubt. He often swings at bad pitches and struggles to go deep in the count. Edward does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. He is one of the best baserunners in the league, a guy most managers let steal at will. Edward is a very good third baseman defensively. He seems to know where the ball is going before it leaves the bat, makes fantastic reads and takes good routes to the ball.

Peter Kostka

Peter Kostka is a middle-of-the-road starter. Peter is just a pitch away from becoming a dominant hurler. He still needs more work on his "out" pitch. He generally keeps the ball in the park. Peter does a good job keeping the ball down, making it tough to hit out of the yard. He has mastered the art of hitting the strike zone with pitches. Peter will not walk many, and will likely pile up the strikeouts. With his stuff, he can simply blow hitters away. Righties give him more trouble than lefties. His move to first is deceptively good, but he does tends to lose focus from time to time. His defense is adequate, he doesn't hurt himself too much with the glove.

Robert Henderson

Robert Henderson has one of the sweetest strokes in the business, and can hit for both average and power. One of the few players that can single-handedly take over a game. Robert is a tremendous hitter. He has a knack for finding the sweet spot when he connects, and can hit any pitch with authority. He's one of the game's premiere sluggers, no doubt. He often swings at bad pitches and struggles to go depe in the count. Robert does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. Lefties seem to give him more trouble than righties. He's got good speed, and can really measure his lead well. Robert is an average left fielder defensively. He has decent range and will make most routine plays, but certainly will not dazzle you with his glove.

Charlie Matthews

Charlie Matthews has all the basic skills. He isn't destined for stardom, but is the kind of solid, workman-type player that every club needs. Charlie will occasionally come up with a big hit, but in order to contribute consistently to the team, he needs to work on his hitting. Charlie has explosive power. Look for him to go deep often. He has a pretty good eye at the plate, and will draw his share of free passes. He also won't hesitate to go after his pitch, however. Charlie does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. He's got good speed, and can really measure his lead well. Charlie has a good arm, and will throw out a lot of base runners. His arm commands respect, and baserunners are much more cautious.

Patrick Hannon

Patrick Hannon is the complete modern player. He can do it all, both on the field and off the field. A perennial, All-Star caliber player. Patrick has above average hand-eye coordination. He makes frequent contact. He's one of the game's premiere sluggers, no doubt. He was a pretty good eye at the plate. He will draw his share of free passes, but won't hesitate to go after his pitch. Patrick does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. He has average speed at best, but has excellent timing, and can steal a few bases. Patrick is a very good third baseman defensively. He seems to know where the ball is going before it leaves the bat, makes fantastic reads and takes good routes to the ball.

Joseph Corbin

Joseph Corbin is an average ballplayer. He can hit, but will struggle against the league's top pitchers. He will occasionally come up with a big hit, but in order to contribute consistently to the team, he needs to work on his hitting. He has pretty good pop in his bat, and will post solid HR figures each season. He often swings at bad pitches and struggles to go deep in the count. Joseph won't fan too much, but still occasionally goes after bad pitches. Corbin combines excellent speed with a runner's instincts and is able to steal 30 bases a season easily. Joseph is a very good shortstop defensively. He seems to know where the ball is going before it leaves the bat, makes fantastic reads and takes good routes to the ball.

Mike Van Siclen

Mike Van Siclen is an average ballplayer. He can hit, but will struggle against the league's top pitchers. Van Siclen will occasionally come up with a big hit, but in order to contribute consistently to the team, he needs to work on his hitting. He has pretty good pop in his bat, and will post solid HR figures each season. He often swings at bad pitches and struggles to go deep in the count. Mike won't fan too much, but still occasionally goes after bad pitches. Lefties seem to give him more trouble than righties. He is a burner, and will also steal a few bases along the way. Mike is an average shortstop defensively. He has decent range and will make most routine plays, but certainly will not dazzle you with his glove.

Ann Onita

Ann Onita is very efficient on the mound. She is capable of stringing together several very good outings, and while not a staff ace, is very consistent. Ann constantly keeps hitters off balance and guessing. Although she will give up the occasional HR, she is pretty good at keeping balls in the field of play. She has good control and can usually put his pitches right where she wants them. Ann will get a good share of Ks during the season. She has a pretty good move to first, this is something she has really worked hard on, and her defense is adequate. She doesn't hurt herself too much with the glove.

Austin Sly

Austin Sly is a HUGE prospect. Write it down - he will be a star in the future. This is a young man who has a shot at greatness. He could already hold his own against major league pitching. Austin has above average hand-eye coordination. He makes frequent contact and has pretty good pop in his bat, posting solid HR figures each season. He often swings at bad pitches and struggles to go deep in the count. Austin does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. Austin combines excellent speed with a runner's instincts and is able to steal 30 bases a season easily. Austin is an average right fielder defensively. He has decent range and will make most routine plays, but certainly will not dazzle you with his glove.

Brandon Rhodes

Brandon Rhodes should be a quality second baseman, but hasn't been able to turn raw talent into polished skills. One of the league's premiere baserunners. Brandon is an average second baseman defensively. He has decent range and will make most routine plays, but certainly will not dazzle you with his glove.

Timothy Marsch

Timothy Marsch may be one of the top catchers for many years to come. He has all the tools, and the attitude to develop into a star. He could already be a quality contributor in the majors. A natural hitter, Timothy covers the plate well. He has pretty good pop in his bat, and will post solid HR figures each season. He often swings at bad pitches and struggles to go deep in the count. Timothy does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. He is one of the best baserunners in the league, a guy most managers let steal at will. Timothy has an average arm, and will throw out just enough people to cause baserunners to think a little more.

Paco Fernandez

Need a quality prospect? Paco Fernandez is just that. He definitely has the plate awareness to be a solid contributor at the major league level. He could already hold his own against major league pitching. Paco has decent batting skills, and will get his share of base hits. He has pretty good pop in his bat, and will post solid HR figures each season. He has a pretty good eye at the plate. He will draw his share of free passes, but won't hesitate to go after his pitch. Paco does a decent job protecting the plate, and will make contact when you need him to. He is one of the best baserunners in the league, a guy most managers let steal at will. Paco is an average third baseman defensively. He has decent range and will make most routine plays, but certainly will not dazzle you with his glove.

Nigel McClain

Nigel McClain has all the makings of a front line starter. His move to first is deceptively good, but he does tend to lose focus from time to time. Nigel's defense is adequate, he doesn't hurt himself too much with the glove.

Gabriel Cirillo

Gabriel Cirillo has star written all over him. He will be a top starter in the future. He has a great arm, and is a real competitor. He could fare pretty well against big league hitters right now. Gabriel constantly keeps hitters off balance and guessing. Although he will give up the occasional HR, he is pretty good at keeping balls in the field of play. He has good control and can usually put his pitches right where he wants them. Gabriel will get a good share of Ks during the season. Lefties give him more trouble than righties. He has a pretty good move to first, this is something he has really worked hard on. Gabriel's defense is adequate, he doesn't hurt himself too much with the glove.

I know you've all been waiting, and the time has finally come.

It is time for the season to actually and truly begin.

Guest Evolution

SFBL

April 2016

...This never happened.

The real April 2016 is on the way.

Guest Evolution

Oh ho ho.

Back up your shit, folks.

Back up your shit.

A Windows XP freeze while OOTP was running damn near killed the SFBL outright with the dreaded "Invalid Player File" error that killed the fake baseball version that I ran using members of the Smartmarks Wrestling Federation.

I'm attempting to restore a backed up version of the SFBL, dating back to the 2016 preseason.

Bitches be crazy if they thinking I'm shutting down shop now.

EDIT: The backup has worked, but the thing is that the preseason will need to be run again. The SFBL Cup will remain as it stands, although the team rosters will likely be different this time around.

Guest Evolution

IMPORTANT

Here's the deal.

In my repeat run of the offseason after that big game crash and backup, Paco Fernandez was drafted by Boston and Nigel McClain was sent to Vancouver. I've already been told that Vancouver is good for Nigel, but Paco, if you want to move back to Jacksonville, I will allow it at no cost of a TSM trade (there are two of those remaining, the Peter Kostka trade still counts as a TSM trade).

Otherwise, all other free agent matters are as they should be (Duran to New Jersey, Dover to Montreal, Ortiz to Las Vegas). Hunter was not traded during the free agency period, and I'll let that decision stand.

The damage has been minimized considerably...thankfully. I'm simming the first month of the season once again, and will update accordingly.

I'm sorry for this, guys, but these things happen. I'll be much more careful next time around to make sure that we don't go down for good next time I get hit with something like this.

Heh, lucky for Las Vegas that I wasn't traded. Should be interesting to see if Las Vegas can win the division now that I'm staying and thank god for backups, heh. I usually backup any season I'm simming after the year is finished due to paranoia.

Guest Obrechtion

Damn computers. Paco would like to go back to Jacksonville. He likes the humid weather.

Evo, could you use one of the trades and force Gonzales into retirement? Doesn't he know he doesn't have anything left and he's getting injured every season now. If not retirement, how about just shooting him, like with a crappy racehorse?

Anyway, I'll just wait another year for Gonzales to ruin Atlanta's chances of the playoffs and eventually get to create another player.

GO CARLOS, GO!

(I've given up hope for the ATL, but DeSantis is a good player, so yay for him)