TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Benoit: Push to the Gold 2003

Guest Dmann2000

I honestly don't know if they'd do it, I will say I'd like to see Benoit win the WWE title, It would be a great moment indeed.

And then hell let him and Angle tear down MSG for 20-30 Minutes.

In exchange for that Vince you can have a 4-way McMahon Main Event where you dig up your father's corpse and pin him in your ultimate attempt to win the love of your daddy you've always wanted.

What, isn't it obvious to everyone that anything Vince has ever done with WWE was some sick attempt to gain the love of a deceased father he felt he never got?

I actually have hope for this. It's stupid, it's foolish, but regardless, it's there.

The evolution of this character started after No Mercy. He won the match using a move he uses sometimes but rarely gets a win off of. The next week on Smackdown he and Angle get into and Benoit (for once) DOESNT come out of it looking like a chump and the WWE actually decides to let him keep his heat on this weeks' SD.

If they're doing it, they need to do it right. I'm talking bringing in Dean, Eddy, Jericho and Arn Anderson for interviews. Have Flair talk about him, maybe even Heyman. Tell the man's story. Make the fans feel what Benoit feels when he's wrestling.

I'm probably setting myself up for a letdown here, but whatever..........

Oh, and I call that Farooq drops out of Team Angle 'cause of the ankle injury that Morgan and Jones tagged him w/ on SD. His replacement? John Cena.

The evolution of this character started after No Mercy. He won the match using a move he uses sometimes but rarely gets a win off of. The next week on Smackdown he and Angle get into and Benoit (for once) DOESNT come out of it looking like a chump and the WWE actually decides to let him keep his heat on this weeks' SD.

I noticed that too...Benoit looked really good on SD

Oh, and I call that Farooq drops out of Team Angle 'cause of the ankle injury that Morgan and Jones tagged him w/ on SD. His replacement? John Cena.

I don't think Cena's ready for a full face turn. Yet.

Nah. They could have Cena be the replacement dude and let Cena F-U the Big Show but end up getting eliminated.

Next night on Smackdown you've got a Cena vs Show feud for the title, which would

1) Get Cena over huge for taking out Show.

2) Give Cena some MAJOR ammo for his raps.

I say have Benoit challenge Brock for the title on the Smackdown after SS, and have the match the next week with Benoit winning. Then while RAW has a PPV they can run a 2 month Brock-Benoit program on TV and have Brock get the belt back at Royal Rumble. Sure it's only a transitional reign for Benoit, but it's a decent starting point. A world title switch on TV is long overdue anyway, especially with this split-PPV stuff (now I'm hoping there wasn't a title switch I forgot that I could get nailed on).

Guest Quik
In all seriousness, if Chris Benoit won the WWE title I would probably cry. No kidding, I would break down... I would be that damn happy.

As much as it makes me look like a pussy, I second that.

I seriously would break down and cry like a little bitch if Chris Motherfucking Benoit won the belt. He was my favorite wrestler even back in my mark days while he was in WCW. All my friends made fun of me, but I always knew that Chris Benoit was my wrestling hero. There is no cooler nickname than "The Crippler". There is no cooler persona than a guy who just hurts people with no remorse. There is no cooler a character than a short guy who is built like a brick shithouse. You cannot beat that gimmick... EVER.

Guest ManKinnd
I say have Benoit challenge Brock for the title on the Smackdown after SS, and have the match the next week with Benoit winning. Then while RAW has a PPV they can run a 2 month Brock-Benoit program on TV and have Brock get the belt back at Royal Rumble. Sure it's only a transitional reign for Benoit, but it's a decent starting point. A world title switch on TV is long overdue anyway, especially with this split-PPV stuff (now I'm hoping there wasn't a title switch I forgot that I could get nailed on).

That'd be the Angle/Brock Ironman title switch from a few weeks ago. Sorry.

They might also be worried that giving Benoit the title might in fact work against him, and start to kill his heat. Before you laugh, hear me out: I've always thought his character was someone who strives to be the best, that it's the journey, not the goal itself, that matters most. If he were to win the belt, what would happen next for him?

Guest Quik
They might also be worried that giving Benoit the title might in fact work against him, and start to kill his heat. Before you laugh, hear me out: I've always thought his character was someone who strives to be the best, that it's the journey, not the goal itself, that matters most. If he were to win the belt, what would happen next for him?

Christ, let's forget the character for a moment and think about the man himself. Do you think he wants to look back on his career and go, "Yeah, that was a great ride. Never won the title, which makes it that much better!" Fuck that shit, he needs the belt, not just to satisfy the smarks who live through him vicariously, but for himself.

That'd be the Angle/Brock Ironman title switch from a few weeks ago. Sorry.

Heh, for some reason I couldn't remember if the title switched hands there or not. I was really tired that day and fell asleep with about 1 minute left in the match.

Guest Y2DAYDAY

Let me put this all together. It all started with A-Trains quest to beat Benoit. Right there that made him important if A-Train, a guy that has feuded with Undertaker, makes it his only goal to beat Benoit.

But at the PPV, they put him over bigtime. A-Train figured out counters for the german and crossface but Benoit did a german anyways and busted out the sharpshooter.

Last week on Smackdown, he dominated Angle in the pull apart.

This week, he won clean with the diving headbutt. 2 weeks ago, he had 1 finisher. Now he has 3.

Rumored for Wrestlemania is Lesnar vs Goldberg, which leaves Kurt Angle as the guy the WWE title will be built around. But who will be with him?

The 3 candidates are Cena, Eddie, and Benoit. I think Angle is lobbying for Benoit, which is why the idea of a Benoit vs Angle title program is being considered the most likely WWE title match for Smackdown at Mania. Ideally, they would like to get Bret Hart to referee the match, which may also be motivation to give the spot to Benoit. Personally, I'd go with Cena. Angle vs Cena at Mania could be huge with Cena getting his win back and winning the WWE title as a babyface. They can talk about how Cena has been talking all here about headlining Mania 20. I'd pass on Eddie right now, as WWE will as well. Cena and Benoit are better picks right now.

If they go with Benoit, which is what it is looking like right now, they have a great long term story built in.

How do you do it though? I'd assume you would have Lesnar work Benoit at Rumble with Benoit doing everything to Lesnar but winning the title. Even another match on TV before and/or after Rumble. Then at No Way Out, Angle beats Lesnar for the title. You could even turn Angle heel, which I see coming anyway. After Benoit convincingly wins the #1 contenders match at No Way Out, have Angle cut promos about Benoit has always been good but Angle has just been a step ahead. How Angle did what Benoit couldn't, beat Brock Lesnar. Bring in Bret Hart to ref. It would be a big deal.

Don't know if they will be going with Benoit but with Vince,Lesnar, and Taker elsewhere on the Mania show(Taker with Kane, Goldberg with Lesnar and Vince with probably Mick Foley but maybe Steve Austin), it leaves Benoit, Eddie, or Cena as Angle's possible opponent.

What I think they will do is gauge things with all 3 guys and wait and see and then pick who they want to go with, like they did with Luger and Hart in 94.

As for the Survivor Series match, it will be Lesnar/Show/Morgan/Jones/A-Train(appointed by Paul Heyman) vs Angle/Benoit/Bradshaw/Hardcore Holly, John Cena after Cena begs Angle to be on the team.

And yes, Benoit will be the last survivor for Team Angle, adding more heat to the long term Angle vs Benoit feud.

Guest ftwdevils2469

You guys give me to much hope.

Edited by ftwdevils2469

Guest MideonMark

Yeah the Survivor Series matchup has to come down to Benoit vs. Lesnar. Benoit should have Brock in the Crossface. I wouldn't have him do the F-5 reversed into the Crossface(cause you KNOW thats coming some day and when it does I'm gonna mark out like a bitch) just yet, he should save that until their first official singles match(at the Royal Rumble). Anyway Benoit has him in the Crossface, before the heels run in for the DQ just before Brock taps. I know thats a bullshit ending and I hate DQ finishes but they could play up the fact that Benoit had Brock beat and build it from there, culminating in Benoit vs Lesnar at the Rumble. Benoit finally wins the title, Angle wins the Rumble. Wham bam thankyou Mam, we have our WWE Title match at the Garden.

I think I would kill to see this scenario happen.

In addition to all the evidence of a Benoit push, we have the Smackdown! Here Comes the Pain commercial, where Brock's main foe in the commercial is Chris Benoit. That's a little random, no?

ahem.

From Austin's book...

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT WWE BOOKING (IE: WHY BENOIT WILL NEVER BE WWE CHAMPION) AS STATED BY JIM ROSS:

Steve was looked at as a very solid in-ring hand, but lacking charisma. That was the book on Austin at that point in time. Obviously not enough people in our office were watching Steve raise hell on ECW television programming. Steve was hired by WWE because he could wrestle, because he could work with anyone and have a good, solid match. HE WAS HIRED TO BE A MECHANIC, WHICH MEANT HE WOULD NEVER GO HIGHER THAN THE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE.

Now, Steve Austin obviously proved them wrong and broke out of that to lead the company to it's most succesful period ever...but Benoit? I have never seen the reason why Chris Benoit is not a main eventer so plainly explained by a head WWE employee.

Now...as for a guy like Eddy...I guess he's just too small.

AAAAAAAAAAAH Lookwhatchamademedo!!  I tried so hard not to...

Ah, come on. FB'ing shows a poster's individual creativity, something that can be sorely lacking with bandwagon jumping like "HHH SUX PUSH RVD" and (yes, I'll admit) "FUCK GOLDBERG" being more popular here than posting your own idea.

My guess is if Brock jobs, it's either to the headbutt (which they suddently made a finisher last night) or the Sharpshooter. Benoit doesn't have amateur credentials up the wazoo so it will be a blow to Brock to tap out to Benoit under any move other than the Sharpshooter, which is well known among fans as a devastating move, Rocky aside.

I'm still putting my money on "No Benoit Champ Run" though. It's simply the safest bet, and the thought of Benoit getting it just seems like a huge longshot.

Maybe, just maybe, Angle will use his new friendship with Vince to get Benoit to the top. Hey, if Triple H can get HBK a short title run and Nash a program for the title then hopefully Angle can do the same for Benoit.

BTW, I see Angle turning heel at Survivor Series.

This reminds me of last years Survivor Series where bps was convinced that RVD would either get the title or get a main event push and wrote a big-ass post explaining the LOGIC as to why it was his time. Then he get eliminated first.

I was a believer then and I'm a believer now. This is Benoit's time. WWE have squandered the chance to properly push so many stars. They HAVE to get it right eventually.

There are two chances of Benoit winning the WWE Championship or challenging for it at WMXX:

- The Bret Hart Factor. The man Vince NEEDS at WrestleMania would be very happy to see a protege of his in the spotlight at the "Biggest Event of ALL Time!!!"

- If he takes a back seat to McMahonaMania. If Vince and Steph dominate SD with their storylines w/ Undertaker, Sable, Heyman, or whoever else, they may give Benoit a token reign "to see if he can draw" even though he won't be put in the marquee matchups. The same thing happened to Big Show twice and Chris Jericho.

I kinda subscribe to the theory R.D. brought up in his mailbag (which isn't terribly new, but still) that Benoit doesn't care about the belt, he just takes pride in his work and wants to see how good his matches can be and how good a match he can drag out of subpar workers.

If Benoit should get the belt, I wouldn't mind it basically being as a lifetime acheivement sort of thing before he retires.

Maybe that's another reason HHH let Jericho have his crappy run--Jericho is basically content with having that Undisputed reign, as lousy as it was booked.

Yeah the Survivor Series matchup has to come down to Benoit vs. Lesnar. Benoit should have Brock in the Crossface. I wouldn't have him do the F-5 reversed into the Crossface(cause you KNOW thats coming some day and when it does I'm gonna mark out like a bitch) just yet, he should save that until their first official singles match(at the Royal Rumble). Anyway Benoit has him in the Crossface, before the heels run in for the DQ just before Brock taps. I know thats a bullshit ending and I hate DQ finishes but they could play up the fact that Benoit had Brock beat and build it from there, culminating in Benoit vs Lesnar at the Rumble. Benoit finally wins the title, Angle wins the Rumble. Wham bam thankyou Mam, we have our WWE Title match at the Garden.

I think I would kill to see this scenario happen.

Just have Brock C2W (Cheat to win) and get a cheap pin off of Benoit. They could work in the crossface spot after the match, or during it.

"Benoit has Brocks number" is a simple but effective storyline.

*still dreams of Lesnar going for the F-5 only have it get reversed on him by Benoit into the Crossface.

This reminds me of last years Survivor Series where bps was convinced that RVD would either get the title or get a main event push and wrote a big-ass post explaining the LOGIC as to why it was his time. Then he get eliminated first.

I was a believer then and I'm a believer now. This is Benoit's time. WWE have squandered the chance to properly push so many stars. They HAVE to get it right eventually.

The difference is...

I DIDN'T WRITE THAT. JIM ROSS DID.

Guest wildpegasus
*still dreams of Lesnar going for the F-5 only have it get reversed on him by Benoit into the Crossface.

I believe they did that spot in the Benoit vs Lesnar match from the Edmonton house show a little while back.