TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
{''({o..o})''}

Most disappointing games...

Yes FF8 will probably always go down in the books as the most boring, and ass backwards FF8 game ever.

Hopefully... though FF8 and FF8 gives it a run for its money. ;)

You didn't know? There's like 3 of them! The first one is the worst!

Ok yes that was a typing error.

But yes it has to be the worst Final Fantasy ever. Teenage angst and whining like bitches does not make for a good story. A hero that actually wants to save people and has some sort of trouble in his past makes for an interesting story.

*cough*

THE THING~!

Not a terrible game...but such a fucking letdown...

once you get about 75% of the game done it's a cakewalk...a SERIOUS cakewalk...

all for a competely shitty ending that had my roommate almost breaking his controller.

I despised Xenogears. I actually loved the story, but the gameplay was such garbage that I gave up halfway through. The dungeons were in a class of their own as far as bad design. My two favorites were the one where you had to do platform jumping with bad camera angles where you had to start all the way over (~2 hours worth) if you fell, and the one with about 40 identical looking rooms, each of which made you fight about 7 unavoidable battles each time you went in one. Classic! I actually wished the plot had sucked so I could have just guiltlessly sold it back to Funcoland. Now I feel like giving up is making me miss something, but it was just too bad to finish.

Squall's angst is great. It's like the best part of FF VIII. Seeing him go from being so alone and inclosed to opening up to Rinoa is emotional and infinitely more interesting than the regular hero who is the chosen one and a wandering adventurer. I care about Squall a lot more than like Zidane, or actually the entire FF IX cast combined.

dance5.jpg

Anyways.......

Yes as much as I like Xenogears...I'm going to have to agree with you KOR Fungus. You're right. The gameplay was awful. The fact that you could get into a random encounter.......WHILE SPINNING THE CAMERA caused great annoyance. However I know why I like the game....the story...same as you.

Don't you agree it would've been much better as an Anime, Manga, or Book?

Squall's angst is great. It's like the best part of FF VIII. Seeing him go from being so alone and inclosed to opening up to Rinoa is emotional and infinitely more interesting than the regular hero who is the chosen one and a wandering adventurer. I care about Squall a lot more than like Zidane, or actually the entire FF IX cast combined.

dance5.jpg

<angstometer reaches Code Red>

I thought the story blew. The thing about Xenogears I liked was the battle system, what with the different moves you could do depending on the different button presses, and the mech battles added some variety.

Dungeons were lousy, yeah. Poorly designed, ugly, and too many encounters.

I thought the story blew. The thing about Xenogears I liked was the battle system, what with the different moves you could do depending on the different button presses, and the mech battles added some variety.

Dungeons were lousy, yeah. Poorly designed, ugly, and too many encounters.

I guess being a big fan of philosophy I got into the story. I enjoyed the levels it had and the various twists.

But I agree that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. I mean AndrewTS obviously didn't like the story. It's not for everyone.

Don't you agree it would've been much better as an Anime, Manga, or Book?

Yeah, a Xenogears anime would be excellent. I really liked the characters and what I saw of the plot, it would be great just to watch it without having bad gameplay get in the way.

Guest MikeSC
I despised Xenogears. I actually loved the story, but the gameplay was such garbage that I gave up halfway through. The dungeons were in a class of their own as far as bad design. My two favorites were the one where you had to do platform jumping with bad camera angles where you had to start all the way over (~2 hours worth) if you fell, and the one with about 40 identical looking rooms, each of which made you fight about 7 unavoidable battles each time you went in one. Classic! I actually wished the plot had sucked so I could have just guiltlessly sold it back to Funcoland. Now I feel like giving up is making me miss something, but it was just too bad to finish.

I actually liked Disc 1 of Xenogears.

Disc 2, though, sucked hard. Long movie --- one battle --- long movie.

And God help you if you want to level up a bit more before you fight a big fight. Not happening in this lifetime.

Arrggh.

For what it's worth, Star Ocean really impressed me for the PS. Shockingly good.

Now, let's hope that Need for Speed Underground doesn't blow.

-=Mike

...Bringing the positive along with the negative

Turok 2. I was on the preorder list for almost 18 years. I think I realized the game sucked when I got to the point where the framerate dropped to about 3 fps. Then I cried. No one ever wanted to do Turok 2 multi, either. They all wanted to play Goldeneye, and for the record, Goldeneye's multiplayer < Perfect Dark's.

Yeah, a Xenogears anime would be excellent.

I've got two hints for you.

One is a noble gas.

The other is a 16 bit system featuring a hedgehog.

You get the picture

I still don't think they're anything alike. Plus I'm pretty sure they came out to close together for them to have ripped each other off. Plus there overall theme is different.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Man is destroyed for becoming to sure of himself. God smites man.

Xenogears: Man destroys the false god and it's followers. Man smites God.

I've watched the whole Eva series a few times and watched the 2 movies a few times. I've played Xenogears twice. I do not see the comparison. Just because they both deal with religous themes and have giant robots(albeit in TOTALLY different ways) does not mean they are a rip off of each other. So I suppose Jurassic Park is a ripoff of the Flintstones because they both had Dinosaurs?

Yeah, I didn't like it either. The story bored me. Teen romance > giant robots.

Xenogears is much more of a love story than FF8 is, and it makes more sense, too. Saying it's just giant robots is dumb.

Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

I love the concept, but putting it in use is the problem ... everything is so over the top as far as levels and powers go that it almost feels pointless to do anything. And the graphics are incredibly disappointing ... it honestly looks like something that could have been done on N64 or PSx.

The Prinnies fucking own it though. I MUST admit that.

Actually, that's what I like about the game. It is so over the top, it's absolutely a blast (at least for me). ...only disappoint from that game is I didn't get to see what the hell that picture of Laharl's was and all that. You know, the one that causes him to like find out who's blackmailing him? That picture.

Back to the topic, I say that anything after Lufia 2 in the Lufia series is an utter disappointment. I mean, they had dropped enough stuff in Lufia 2 to hint that Lufia 3 and we end up getting two rejects of games that are trashy and utterly blah. And I will NEVER accept those rejects for would be sequels or as Lufia 3.

The dungeons were in a class of their own as far as bad design. My two favorites were the one where you had to do platform jumping with bad camera angles where you had to start all the way over (~2 hours worth) if you fell.

I never had a problem with jumping. I might have fell once on the 3-4 times I played through it. And that was more like 10 minutes if you fell all the way to the bottom. Babel Tower was the most atmospheric dungeon ever. I loved it.

and the one with about 40 identical looking rooms, each of which made you fight about 7 unavoidable battles each time you went in one.

If you mean the Sewers, yeah that was bad. It's the only problem I had with the gameplay though.

Now I feel like giving up is making me miss something, but it was just too bad to finish.

Well holy shit, you SHOULD feel like you're missing something. Way to stop playing the game right when the story is starting to really pick up. Good job.

Disc 2, though, sucked hard. Long movie --- one battle --- long movie.

Just think of Disc 2 as a long ending. It was already 60 hours long, time for the game to end. It could have went a hundred hours, but then you'd have people complaining that they dragged the story out. Anyway, half the reason the second CD was so great is because you had so much plot at once and you got to soak in all the great scenes at the same time. The absolute last thing I would've wanted to do on the second disc was to play through a long dungeon. And this is coming from someone who liked the gameplay.

And God help you if you want to level up a bit more before you fight a big fight. Not happening in this lifetime.

....That's a GOOD thing. Why the hell would you want to level up?