TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Punk'd cancelled

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Ashton Kutcher says the joke is no longer on him -- he announced Friday that he's pulling out of the MTV prank show, "Punk'd," after two seasons.

His representatives swear it's not a trick, but anything the prankster Kutcher says must be taken with a bit of skepticism.

The last new episode featuring Kutcher, star of "That '70s Show," is set to run Sunday, where the victim of a practical joke will be singer Beyonce Knowles.

"We have had an incredible time doing the show and have decided to stick with the old adage of 'leave 'em wanting more' and that's how we feel with the show," said Kutcher, 25, who stars and co-produces the series.

"Punk'd" is a version of the old "Candid Camera" that preys on young celebrities. Among Kutcher's victims: singer Nick Lachey, who thought his wife, Jessica Simpson, had allowed her hillbilly relatives to move their trailer onto his mansion estate, and Justin Timberlake, who was moved to panic when he thought all his belongings had been seized because he owed $900,000 in back taxes.

"Today is a sad day for MTV, but probably a happy day for Hollywood. Celebrities can rest a little easier knowing that the Punkings have ceased," said Lois Curren, an MTV executive in charge of series development.

It's possible the announcement is a trick aimed at duping new prank victims. A page on MTV's Web site that promotes Sunday's season finale pledges: "But don't worry, the new season starts in March."

-----------------------------------

I hope it's true.

PunkD got a 2.4 on its premiere. I am not sure after that, but I know that most people watch the show.

La Bam is funnier though.

The thing about MTV is that you don't have to catch it the first time. Nothing is "MUST SEE NOW!" stuff because you know that it'll be on about 40 times again over the weekend.

So there's no rush to watch thus no huge ratings.

Gee, this is nothing like what happened to the Tom Green show is it?

People catch on, ruins the joke, goodbye show.

Possibly, they are just doing this to catch celebrities off guard and get a couple more seasons out of it. But either way, by the end of this season they probably had some people catching on so it was going to be the end of the show anyway. At least this way, if it's real, Ashton walks away a celebrity as opposed to being cancelled by MTV.

It would be interesting to see all of the "failed" punks. The ones that didn't work out for one reason or another. I'm sure there were tons of them.

I for one am glad the show is gone. A few of the pranks were funny, but in general, Ashton Kutcher was just annoying and phony. Stupid Idiot.

The show was mildly entertaining, but it pissed me off to see all the actors playing it really cool and suckering the people in and then Kutcher would pop in and say 'MY BOY WUZ GETTING PUNKED AND THAT"S HOW WE DO IT HERE AT PUNKED! HOW DOES IT FEEL TO GET PUNKED! MR. CE-LE-BRI-TY!!!'

The best one was a recent one with Jamie Pressly. They convinced her the factory that produced her clothing line was a sweatshop, and she cried. YOU GOT PUNK'D BIZNITCH!

On a side note, humiliated celebrities=GOLD and I smell a work a mile away.

The first three or four episodes it was pretty good than it just got old. Viva Le Bam and hell even Wild Boys is funnier than Punk'D these days. I'm glad Ashton ended the show before it became even more annoying.

Gee, this is nothing like what happened to the Tom Green show is it?

People catch on, ruins the joke, goodbye show.

Possibly, they are just doing this to catch celebrities off guard and get a couple more seasons out of it. But either way, by the end of this season they probably had some people catching on so it was going to be the end of the show anyway. At least this way, if it's real, Ashton walks away a celebrity as opposed to being cancelled by MTV.

Which Tom Green Show are you referring to?

If you meant the second, I completely forgot about that one. Is it even still on the air? If not, when did it go off?

Does this mean Clone High can come back? PLEASE?!

Oh God please can it? That show ruled. Clone John F. Kennedy running against Clone Abraham Lincoln... for the Student Council President? BWA HA HA HAHAAAAA.

As for Punk'd, meh. Chris Rock pretty much got it right when he observed that Kutcher never seems to punk anyone who'd actually retaliate against him. Hey Ashton, go try and punk Suge Knight. Now THAT I'd pay to see.

Vuva La Bam is a combination of pranks done on Bam Margera's friends and family, and Jackass stuff. The one episode I saw featured Bam making his father fast for a day, and was fucking hilarious.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Yeah, right... it remains to be seen if we're all being punk'd, I mean look at it this way...

Celebrities watch Punk'd, some know what to expect. Now, with Punk'd being "Cancelled" it'd be easier to punk Celebrities because they really aren't expecting it

Damn, this was one of the shows I liked on MTV. What was so bad about it? You people would rather watch the idiots from Jackass shove dead fish and broom sticks up each others ass'?

Damn, this was one of the shows I liked on MTV. What was so bad about it? You people would rather watch the idiots from Jackass shove dead fish and broom sticks up each others ass'?

Hell no. I hate any show which features "pranksters" harassing or terrorizing the general public. That includes Punk'd, Tom Green, Jackass, Scare Tactics, etc etc etc.

This is the part of the story where Ashton Kutcher thinks he is "too big" for Punk'd and he tries a ful fledged movie career, but in reality no one outside of the mtv crowd gives a shit about him so he will waste into oblivion.

Staring Roles

08/22/2003 My Boss's Daughter

1st weekend: $4,855,798

US Gross: $15,549,702

01/10/2003 Just Married

1st Weekend Gross:$17,548,993

US Gross:$56,127,162

Production Cost: $19,000,000

11/30/2001 Texas Rangers

1st Weekend Gross:$319,516

US Gross: $623,374

12/15/2000 Dude, Where's My Car?

1st Weekend Gross$13,845,914

US Gross$46,729,374

Production Cost: $14,000,000

I'm surprised at this board's god damn near total backlash to this show. I remember after the first episode everyone was going apeshit over it. I guess like me the joke got old soon to everyone. I stopped watching the show regularly after the 5th or 6th episode.

12/15/2000 Dude, Where's My Car?

1st Weekend Gross$13,845,914

US Gross$46,729,374

Production Cost: $14,000,000

Dude, Where's My Car? did well enough on video to have a sequel in the works.

I saw a preview for the Butterfly Effect, I think that's what it is called. It wasn't a comedy and it looks to be pretty good.

Plus he has that Steve Martin coming out, with Hilary Duff.

I'm surprised at this board's god damn near total backlash to this show. I remember after the first episode everyone was going apeshit over it. I guess like me the joke got old soon to everyone. I stopped watching the show regularly after the 5th or 6th episode.

I was thinking the same thing. I remember everyone liking the show, then out of the blue, it gets all of this hate.

People make little sense sometimes.

Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

Bah, from the way it just ended, I'd be willing to bet any amount of money that we are all being Punk'd and the show will be back.

Touche, Kutcher.

BTW, they just tried to Punk Goldberg but it backfired and didn't work.