TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cerebus

Suikoden series

Guest Cerebus

I picked up Suikoden 3 for the PS2 a few months back after the glowing reccomendation from a good friend of mine. For those of you don't know, it's a fantasy RPG where you see events from the perspectives of three very different characters bound together by the destiny of the 108 stars (based on an ancient Chinese legend). Eventually you get the opportunity to explore the depth of the game, which considering you can recruit up to 108 characters is pretty damn deep, and the story line is simply amazing. After getting online and discovering you can load data from Suikoden 1 and 2 to add several extras, I've been bidding for them on Ebay (which is expensive considering how rare the two are nowadays) and I'm trying to hunt down manga and anime based on the Suikoden world. So I'm curious, anyone else here fans of the series?

Guest Salacious Crumb

I loved I, can't find 2 and really like 3. 3 unfortunately got lost in the shuffle as I moved a few days after starting to play it and Xenosaga and .hack were released shortly after. Hopefully I'll get back to it when my NCAA 2004 craze dies down.

Hehe... I own Suikoden 1 and 2.

And no, no one can have'em. I'm going to go probably buy three here in the future.

Can't say I ever really got into 3 because of the battle system. But then again, that just might be me though.

It's better to treat these as commodities, since they certainly aren't good games. The first one is playable, but the second is only good for selling to dopes on eBay. If you're going to drop 80 bucks on Suikoden, buy some of its godly soundtracks.

It's better to treat these as commodities, since they certainly aren't good games. The first one is playable, but the second is only good for selling to dopes on eBay.

Would you care to elaborate? I really liked Suikoden 1, and I think it's a great game. I haven't played 2, though.

Guest cpac

The first 2 games rule. The graphics might suck and the music is great but to me the most important is the stories are great and the fun factor is beyond amazing. I remember playing the first game and beating it in like 2 days. I rented the game and it only took about 20 hours to beat. Suikoden is one of the most underrated rpg series in the U.S. From what I hear the 4th one is going to be set way before the events of the first three games.

It's just so NOT Final Fantasy.

Funny how this "trait" is only valuable now, since when Suik1 came out, FF7 hadn't, and we were mostly all still playing Chrono Trigger on our SNES or I dunno, Beyond the Beyond?

And funny how this "trait" is somewhat missing from Suik3...

If I were to list the top things about Suik 1 that made it great (especially in retrospect) it would be these two things:

A six person party

and

A story which does not involve world-destruction.

Other things about Suikoden 1 that I loved (can't speak for 2):

Attack ranges of weapons actually mattered

Combined spell attacks a la Trigger

The music

You get your own castle. BOSS!

The army vs. army battles, although just glorified rock/paper/scissors, were still damn cool.

Teleportation to previously visited areas and back to the castle.

The huge selection of party members. Want a cute elf chick, a dancer, a sinister looking wizard, a master swordsman, and an ax-wielding barbarian in your party? Go right ahead. Want some cooks, blacksmiths, artists, etc? You can do that, too.

It's 2-D, and despite people ragging on the graphics, they're great except for the overhead map. I still remember seeing Flik do a toast and the glasses being animated to clink together.

There's no need to buy a new weapon all the time. Just find the best blacksmith available and he'll improve your current weapon. That's much better than having to manage the large number of possible weapons in the game.

The Rune system is like a combination of Espers and Relics...which is what FFVII's materia turned out to be. Hmmmm.

Spoiler (Highlight to Read):

One of your party members dies, but you can actually do something about it, and you can event avoid an unnecessary death entirely.

Other things about Suikoden 1 that I loved (can't speak for 2): ...

Everything you said for Suikoden 1 could be done in Suikoden 2. Except it was much improved upon.

It's 2-D, and despite people ragging on the graphics, they're great except for the overhead map.  I still remember seeing Flik do a toast and the glasses being animated to clink together.

...it was a fun little toast. I admit.

I liked Suikoden 2, I actually started playing it... my roommate has all three, I just decided to play 2 on a lark... its fun, though the character management got to me after awhile... and I only got about 4 or 5 hours into the game.

Suikoden II is by far the best game of the series, but I am a fan of all three. I have not played the Suikogaiden games or Card Stories, or read any of the print stuff. For the longest time I had a portrait of Yuber from SII as my avatar. Jowy Blight is my favourite villain (and character overall) in RPG history.

78.jpg

SII also has the best major battle format of the three games.

SII was actually the first of the series that I played. I got it from Zellers for $30 a couple of years ago. I spent the longest time looking for I, but I guess it got re-released or something because after 9 months it could be found everywhere.

SII was actually the first of the series that I played. I got it from Zellers for $30 a couple of years ago. I spent the longest time looking for I, but I guess it got re-released or something because after 9 months it could be found everywhere.

...I don't think so. "Everywhere" my ass.

Although, Square got FFC and FFA re-released, so maybe they'll be able to re-release this one.

No angst, teen romance and feminine guys? I'll pass.

I recall at least the first and last ones being in there, but they aren't, you know, a selling point to us. :P

So, basically, the consensus I get here is that II's definitely worth owning, but may not really be worth its current secondary market value.

Konami can't make RPGs. I couldn't care about any Suikoden characters, they seem so lifeless and trite. The battles are nothing interesting to speak of, I'd rather not fight. The rune crap and the rest of the gameplay system is pretty bad, as well, not fun at all. The story has a chance, but it's executed poorly, and the characters ruin it. S1 is average, S2 is the most overrated RPG in history, and S3 isn't even worth the time.

All that saves it is the music. Buy the Celtic Collections! Buy the Piano Collections! Get the baroque and rock arranged albums! The music is seriously beyond the games themselves.

Jowy Blight is my favourite villain (and character overall) in RPG history.

I still can't believe they translated a major character's name into "Jowy" instead of the proper "Joei." That one was the worst until "Fubar." Still, I always hated this constant scene:

Hero: Hey, dude. Great to run into you! So.. Uh, why are you evil and trying to kill me?

Joei: ..........Later. *leaves*

SII was actually the first of the series that I played.  I got it from Zellers for $30 a couple of years ago.  I spent the longest time looking for I, but I guess it got re-released or something because after 9 months it could be found everywhere.

...I don't think so. "Everywhere" my ass.

Although, Square got FFC and FFA re-released, so maybe they'll be able to re-release this one.

It was up here at least. Every Wal-Mart & Zellers had numerous copies in their bargain games section.

Kahren is that pic from the Suikogaiden game where you play as Nash?

Yes. Suikogaiden Volume 1 to be exact. The picture with Jowy leading the Highland troops is in-game and takes place during the initial invasion of Greenhill by Highland. The one with Jowy & Jillia is from the FMV opening, similar to the one that begins Suikoden III.

Volume 2 has more to do with the Grasslands/Harmonia conflict and the Flame Champion, storylines that pick up in Suikoden III. Jowy does show up briefly in it, but Volume 1 is the one that deals most directly with the events in Suikoden II.

I've got all three Suikodens, but the only one that I really enjoyed was the first Suikoden, even though the battle system was alarmingly average and (naturally) some of the 108 characters were lacking. It's an all-around solid RPG, if you ask me.

I own the second Suikoden, but I haven't played that far into it, thanks to my distaste for the first two characters that pop up in cameos. And the third one's battle system is one of the oddest that I've ever seen and, thus, I haven't played very far into it either.

But I can vouch for the first one and I'd definitely say it's a little bit underrated, if only by comparison to the ridiculous amount of praise that the second entry gets. And yeah, the music is amazing.

I own the second Suikoden, but I haven't played that far into it, thanks to my distaste for the first two characters that pop up in cameos.

It does start slowly. Once you get to Muse and the war really starts to get going, things improve greatly. Especially once you get the castle.

What two characters are you referring to? If it is Viktor & Flik, they are major characters, not cameos.

Guest Cerebus

The third's pair battle system is a bit odd and takes some getting used to but keep up with it for a chapter or so and you'll wonder why you ever had second thoughts about it.