Bush remarks in a restaurant in Roswell

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/20...20040122-5.html

Remarks by the President to the Press Pool

Nothin' Fancy Cafe

Roswell, New Mexico

11:25 A.M. MST

THE PRESIDENT: I need some ribs.

Q Mr. President, how are you?

THE PRESIDENT: I'm hungry and I'm going to order some ribs.

Q What would you like?

THE PRESIDENT: Whatever you think I'd like.

Q Sir, on homeland security, critics would say you simply haven't spent enough to keep the country secure.

THE PRESIDENT: My job is to secure the homeland and that's exactly what we're going to do. But I'm here to take somebody's order. That would be you, Stretch -- what would you like? Put some of your high-priced money right here to try to help the local economy. You get paid a lot of money, you ought to be buying some food here. It's part of how the economy grows. You've got plenty of money in your pocket, and when you spend it, it drives the economy forward. So what would you like to eat?

Q Right behind you, whatever you order.

THE PRESIDENT: I'm ordering ribs. David, do you need a rib?

Q But Mr. President --

THE PRESIDENT: Stretch, thank you, this is not a press conference. This is my chance to help this lady put some money in her pocket. Let me explain how the economy works. When you spend money to buy food it helps this lady's business. It makes it more likely somebody is going to find work. So instead of asking questions, answer mine: are you going to buy some food?

Q Yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, good. What would you like?

Q Ribs.

THE PRESIDENT: Ribs? Good. Let's order up some ribs.

Q What do you think of the democratic field, sir?

THE PRESIDENT: See, his job is to ask questions, he thinks my job is to answer every question he asks. I'm here to help this restaurant by buying some food. Terry, would you like something?

Q An answer.

Q Can we buy some questions?

THE PRESIDENT: Obviously these people -- they make a lot of money and they're not going to spend much. I'm not saying they're overpaid, they're just not spending any money.

Q Do you think it's all going to come down to national security, sir, this election?

THE PRESIDENT: One of the things David does, he asks a lot of questions, and they're good, generally.

END 11:29 A.M. MST

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/22/....bush.campaign/

Edward Zabala, the employee of the restaurant who took the president's money, said he paid $39.30.

Zabala said the bill should have been $42.95 but he charged the president less because he was "caught up in the moment."

"I was nervous," Zabala told CNN.

Bush did not leave tip for the to-go order, but Zabala said one was not expected.

Aside from one question on homeland security, Bush refused to answer reporters' queries during the stop.

He did, however, chide journalists traveling in the small pool with him about buying food to help the local economy.

The president told one television correspondent, "Put some of your high-priced money right here to try to help the local economy. ... You've got plenty of money in your pocket, and when you spend it, it drives the economy forward. So what would you like to eat?"

He went on to say of the journalists with him, "I'm not saying they're overpaid, they're just not spending any money."

Hey Mr. President, if you're so big into helping the economy, how about you LEAVE A TIP?

:rolleyes:

Not to hate on Bush or anything, because he seems like a genuinely nice guy, but this interview makes him sound like an asshole. Is the whitehouse.gov web site obligated to post every comment he makes?

Hey Mr. President, if you're so big into helping the economy, how about you LEAVE A TIP?

I don't know anyone who tips on takeout.

Delivery, yes. Dine-in, yes. Takeout, no.

This is too easy...

In response, when asked what he'd liked to order Howard Dean responded:

I WANT SOME RIBS! A HAMBURGER! FRENCH FRIES! A STEAK! CHICKEN! SALAD! FISH! AND THEN I'M GOING TO ORDER SOME DESSERT! CAKE! ICE CREAM! YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! and when asked for a tip proceeded to maul the waiter. B-)

Guest Cerebus

Remember that SNL sketch of Clinton jogging and stopping by a McDonalds and answering questions from people while he eats their food? This reminds me a lot of that sketch (an SNL political sketch classic) :lol:

I don't know anyone who tips on takeout.

Delivery, yes. Dine-in, yes. Takeout, no.

It's good form to leave more money for the waitresses after lecturing reporters on spending money.

DO YOUR PART DUBYA~! :D

How is this even news?

Before this article, I thought Bush would just feast on souls when hungry.

Now I know he eats ribs.

Personally, I found this article to be INCREDIBLY informative.

Guest Choken One

At least he's american and eats ribs...I'm sure that pansy limp wristed Dean eats Tofu.

How is this even news?

Well.. you see, for some reason, the white house site logged it. (What's next, posting the President's phone conversations?). And this relates to Bush and the economy and ribs.

Point in case, the Whitehouse also posted "Barney Reloaded", their SECOND movie starring Barney the Dog.

This is too easy...

In response, when asked what he'd liked to order Howard Dean responded:

I WANT SOME RIBS! A HAMBURGER! FRENCH FRIES! A STEAK! CHICKEN! SALAD! FISH! AND THEN I'M GOING TO ORDER SOME DESSERT! CAKE! ICE CREAM! YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! and when asked for a tip proceeded to maul the waiter. B-)

I think that's what Gore did after Bush was sworn in.

THE PRESIDENT: I need some ribs.

Q Mr. President, how are you?

THE PRESIDENT: I'm hungry and I'm going to order some ribs.

Q What would you like?

THE PRESIDENT: Whatever you think I'd like.

Q Sir, on homeland security, critics would say you simply haven't spent enough to keep the country secure.

THE PRESIDENT: My job is to secure the homeland and that's exactly what we're going to do. But I'm here to take somebody's order. That would be you, Stretch -- what would you like? Put some of your high-priced money right here to try to help the local economy. You get paid a lot of money, you ought to be buying some food here. It's part of how the economy grows. You've got plenty of money in your pocket, and when you spend it, it drives the economy forward. So what would you like to eat?

Q Right behind you, whatever you order.

THE PRESIDENT: I'm ordering ribs. David, do you need a rib?

Q But Mr. President --

THE PRESIDENT: Stretch, thank you, this is not a press conference. This is my chance to help this lady put some money in her pocket. Let me explain how the economy works. When you spend money to buy food it helps this lady's business. It makes it more likely somebody is going to find work. So instead of asking questions, answer mine: are you going to buy some food?

Q Yes.

THE PRESIDENT: Okay, good. What would you like?

Q Ribs.

THE PRESIDENT: Ribs? Good. Let's order up some ribs.

"See, his job is to ask questions, he thinks my job is to answer every question he asks. I'm here to help this restaurant by buying some food. Terry, would you like something?"

I fucking LOVE President Bush.

That is all I have to say.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Why would you bother the president when he's just about to eat, in a totally informal situation? That's just asking for a smartass comment like that.

I am not a Bush fan, but this is gold. This is like an SNL skit(as said). The funniest part is him just wanting to order some fucking ribs. Is there something wrong when a person wants to order some fucking ribs?

The whole thing reminds me of that great, superb, wonderful "press conference" when reporters tried to bother the President as he was walking to the White House.

"They must have not heard. This is nonnegotiable... they're harboring a terrorist, and they need to turn him over. And not only turn him over, but turn the al Qaeda organization over, and destroy all the terrorist camps – actually, we're doing a pretty good job of that right now – and release the hostages they hold. That's all they've got to do. But there is no negotiation. Period.

Come on, Barney."

- President Bush 14/10/01

The offhand remark to his terrier made it beautiful.

the Whitehouse also posted "Barney Reloaded", their SECOND movie starring Barney the Dog

Barney Reloaded was awesome.

"I'll see your milkbone and raise you two snausages."

The more I read about this man, the more I think he re-enacts the dancing in underwear scene from "Risky Business" in the oval office every night before bed.

Clinton and Bush: Best. Comedy Presidents. Ever.

the Whitehouse also posted "Barney Reloaded", their SECOND movie starring Barney the Dog

Barney Reloaded was awesome.

"I'll see your milkbone and raise you two snausages."

"What are you doing here playing cards with... Ari Fleischer?! You don't even work here anymore!"

"See, his job is to ask questions, he thinks my job is to answer every question he asks. I'm here to help this restaurant by buying some food. Terry, would you like something?"

I fucking LOVE President Bush.

I wish I was there, I'd probably laugh my ass off.

It was actually pretty amusing because it was a Rumsfeld-quality response in a place where it was actually appropriate.

Now, Don's press abuse at the podium is the one that really gets me.

"Why do you think you can ask me a question like that?!" (paraphrased)

Well, let see. This is a Q&A session. They ask you questions. You answer them. It's not all that hard, really.

Secretary Rumsfeld is wonderful, just wonderful. He's my idol. He deals with the press the way it ought to be dealt with. His words are a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

"Sir, we haven't heard anything, but the President seems to be very confident. Does he know something that we don't know?"

"I can assure you that there a great many things the President of the United States knows that you do not know. Next question."

"Sir, can I ask just one more thing about this subject?"

"No."

"But sir -"

"That was your follow-up. Sit down."

"Will any single prisoner be treated humanely? You bet. When they are being moved from place to place, will they be restrained in a way so that they are less likely to be able to kill an American soldier? You bet. Is it inhumane to do that? No. Would it be stupid to do anything else? Yes."

"One more - he's got a good one, I can tell."

(thick accent) "Mr Secretary, what do you think of the situation in Georgia?"

"Who else had their hand up?"

Secretary Rumsfeld is wonderful, just wonderful. He's my idol. He deals with the press the way it ought to be dealt with.

What did they ever do to him, though?

And since we're talking about how much you LOVE the current crew and their policies, are you a big fan of the abstinence-only sex ed policies too?

What did they ever do to him, though?

It's the PRESS. The enemy. That they exist is enough.

And since we're talking about how much you LOVE the current crew and their policies, are you a big fan of the abstinence-only sex ed policies too?

Nope. Never have been, never said I was; in fact, I always said I wasn't. But I was giving my opinion on something I think the President and the Secretary of Defense are absolutely BRILLIANT at, not assessing each and every policy of the administration. See Jobber, I'm not like you. I admire the President and respect and love him; in fact, he's one of my greatest heroes. I don't feel like I have to make a negative comment about him in every post. You do, and that's your right. But there's no need to get pissy at me and demand that I denounce every policy I disagree with every time I say anything about him. Do it yourself.

It's the PRESS. The enemy. That they exist is enough.

:huh: Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but the press is how the American people find out what their government is up to.

But there's no need to get pissy at me

Wasn't getting pissy. It's just that in the middle of all this love and affection :wub: I wasn't exactly sure if I could catch you in that one. ;)