TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

2/16 WWE Observer Notes

Here are some notes from the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer..

-CBS-TV passed on the pilot for the WWE films produced tv drama that was to star Mick Foley. UPN has shown interest, but wants the show spiced up with more sex and stuff, but they haven't ordered a pilot to be filmed.

-Vince's latest offer to Bret Hart was to appear at WMXX and be given the oppurtunity to make a speech at the show. He didn't make either a hall of fame offer or suggest any offer in participating in an angle on the show with the knowledge that Hart would almost surely not do, so no point in asking although the two have been on cordial terms for the past year. Pretty much everyone agrees that the idea of using Hart in the finish or even an in-ring celebration if or when Benoit goes over for the World title would be the wrong thing to do because too much of the emphasis would be on Hart's return and would take away from the angle that needs to get over, which is Benoit finally winning the big one. Speculation is that Benoit will still win the title at Mania, although many are wondering if Vince will go all the way with the plan because of the recent crowd reactions to Benoit on Raw.

**Side note to this bit of news** In the Miscellaneous section of the Observer, there was a bit about an indy in Hawaii recently where AJ Styles beat Teddy Hart in the main event of a tour for a group called World Pacific Championship Wrestling. After the match, Bret came out and congradulated both men on having a great match. Some 3 hours before the show at a nearby K-Mart autograph session, Bret Hart told some 1,000 fans that he would rather work a show with people he grew up watching like Snuka and Muraco (who were also on the tour) than be at WrestleMania. Writers note: I can't say I blame the guy.

-Besides Jesse Ventura and Billy Graham, WWE also contacted Bobby Heenan, Sgt Slaughter, Bob Backlund, Greg Valentine, and Tito Santana about the Hall of Shame..uh..I mean..Fame for WMXX. There looks to be no chance of Bruno Sammartino coming to the show. Writer's note: can't say I blame this guy either.

-Blade:Trinity finished shooting and HHH looks to be full time again until his Western Movie project begins shooting, which is scheduled for sometime after Mania.

-Apparantly the original Rumble finish was supposed to be Angle and Benoit with Benoit going over. (as in win, not over the top rope) It was changed instead to make Show appear to be a Monster and they ended up doing the proposed Angle/Benoit finish during the SD only mini Rumble with Guerrero/Angle instead.

-WWE Originals fell this week to No. 40 on the charts with 29,590 sales. Within the music industry, this doesn't look like it will end up a money making project. Writer's note: HA HA HA HA HA!!

Credit: Wrestling Observer Newsletter and of course, Mr. Dave Meltzer.

Besides Jesse Ventura and Billy Graham, WWE also contacted Bobby Heenan, Sgt Slaughter, Bob Backlund, Greg Valentine, and Tito Santana

SWEET!

Blade:Trinity finished shooting and HHH looks to be full time again until his Western Movie project begins shooting, which is scheduled for sometime after Mania

Part of me thinks "Great, this means he HAS to drop the title at WM and leave the main event scene for a while". The more sensible side of me thinks "Silly, his last movie role didn't give us a break from Triple H". Why do I see either Benoit or Michaels running the gauntlet against Evolution, only to lose to at Backlash to HHH

"-CBS-TV passed on the pilot for the WWE films produced tv drama that was to star Mick Foley. UPN has shown interest, but wants the show spiced up with more sex and stuff, but they haven't ordered a pilot to be filmed."

*flashbacks to the baby-oil sex scene in Mitchell*

AHHHH NO!!

So, sounds like Mick was going to gladly take part in this...

I'll repeat it again: Mick Foley is a big whore.

Also--man, what a great start for WWE films. I can't wait to see how bad the stuff they do put out will be, once it is picked up by Comedy Central or FX to fill out their late night lineup.

-WWE Originals fell this week to No. 40 on the charts with 29,590 sales. Within the music industry, this doesn't look like it will end up a money making project. Writer's note: HA HA HA HA HA!!

Wait, does that mean that it was actually over #40? How high did this thing chart?

Sorry but if Brett Hart returns it should be at Wrestlemania XX. I understand not wanting to over shadow Chris Benoit's title win..assuming it happens. Just make Brett's appearance earlier in the show.

"WWE also contacted Bobby Heenan, Sgt Slaughter, Bob Backlund, Greg Valentine, and Tito Santana"

I don't think it would have been hard to contact Sgt Slaughter....

Speculation is that Benoit will still win the title at Mania, although many are wondering if Vince will go all the way with the plan because of the recent crowd reactions to Benoit on Raw.

You mean the fact that they've been CHEERING him?

Not that he's getting Cena-size pops, but still. How fucking loud's the crowd gotta be, Vince?

Speculation is that Benoit will still win the title at Mania, although many are wondering if Vince will go all the way with the plan because of the recent crowd reactions to Benoit on Raw.

Not that he's getting Cena-size pops, but still. How fucking loud's the crowd gotta be, Vince?

Very loud, considering he'll be carrying the World Title.

Benoit's great and all, he's just not as over with the marks as say, Shawn Michaels, is. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

UYI

Benoit's great and all, he's just not as over with the marks as say, Shawn Michaels, is. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.

UYI

SO... Should we expect Vince to put the strap on Cena?

UYI

Proving once again my theory: marks suck.

I'm always hearing people in the WWE claim Vince has an amazing ability to make stars out of people. And yet, they give up on so many people so easily.

Whether marks suck or not isn't the point.

Marks are the majority, and who they cheer for and pay money to see is all that matters. Pity us smarks take up 0.00001 of the community.

I do see your frustration, though.

UYI

UYI

If Cena sells tickets then absolutely.

UYI

-CBS-TV passed on the pilot for the WWE films produced tv drama that was to star Mick Foley. UPN has shown interest, but wants the show spiced up with more sex and stuff, but they haven't ordered a pilot to be filmed.

Football, movies, music, all tanking. Trying to by a media mogul ain't working Vince. I propose a radical new direction for your company, one that you've never tried before:

wrestling.

Just because he doesn't get the loud pops doesn't mean that he won't draw.

Hogan didn't draw there at the end and he got popped like made. Same for HBK.

Excellent point in the case of the vets.

If a younger guy gets pops, though, that's another story.

A lot of the time at a show, fans will just pop because they're happy to see someone they've been watching for a while on TV (see the Undertaker).

Ability has to count for something, too, or else crowds will get tired of someone very quickly. Cena's in a perfect position for a US Title run, but wait for him to get more experience before you ME him.

Guest Salacious Crumb

So anyone else think "WWE Films" is going to bankrupt Vince? I mean they want that HHH western to be a theatrical release which would be a 100 million loss for them easy.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

UYI

I'd say, barring injury, he'll be getting it at SummerSlam.

So anyone else think "WWE Films" is going to bankrupt Vince? I mean they want that HHH western to be a theatrical release which would be a 100 million loss for them easy.

Huh? 'Theatrical Release' doesn't mean that it will have a 50+ million budget. What gave you that idea?

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Wasn't the plan not too long ago to have Benoit win it at Summerslam? When did it change back to Mania?

I'm guessing when he won the Royal Rumble.

Okay, well name me one person in the history of the company that has drawn huge as a babyface champion while only recieving mediocre pops?

Would you put your title belt on someone the fans go apeshit for or for someone they seemingly feel forced to cheer for judging from their apathetic reaction?

I know what I'd do.

UYI

Okay, well name me one person in the history of the company that has drawn huge as a babyface champion while only recieving mediocre pops?

Would you put your title belt on someone the fans go apeshit for or for someone they seemingly feel forced to cheer for judging from their apathetic reaction?

I know what I'd do.

UYI

I only know of two men in the history of the company that have drawn HUGE dollars. Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin. Yes they got gigantic pops. But I was pointing out that pops don't exactly equal money as is proved with HBK and Hogan's last run.

Maybe Benoit will be the first to draw with an apathetic pop as it's been proven that he draws in viewers with a mediocre mid card push.

I know what I'd do.

UYI

I only know of two men in the history of the company that have drawn HUGE dollars. Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin. Yes they got gigantic pops. But I was pointing out that pops don't exactly equal money as is proved with HBK and Hogan's last run.

Maybe Benoit will be the first to draw with an apathetic pop as it's been proven that he draws in viewers with a mediocre mid card push.

Doubt it. Wishful thinking, maybe, but no champion who recieves the reactions he gets is going to draw anything significant.

I hope he proves me wrong, but logically it just doesn't work that way.

UYI