TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardKnoxII

William Hung gets record deal

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml...95&section=news

"American Idol" reject gets record deal

Tue 9 March, 2004 04:08

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Only in America could a bad singer become so popular that he gets a recording contract and a music video deal.

Independent music label Koch Records said on Monday that William Hung, who has become famous for his less-than-stellar performance of the song "She Bangs" in an audition for the Fox reality TV series "American Idol", has agreed to a record deal. Hung was first offered the contract in February.

Koch said Hung's album, tentatively titled "The True Idol2" will be released April 6, and cable channel Fuse Music Network said it would air Hung's "She Bangs" music video.

The album, which will also include versions of Ricky Martin's "Shake Your Bon Bon" and Elton John's "Rocket Man", will initially ship with a 40-minute "making of" DVD.

With his bad singing and stiff dancing featured in commercials for "Idol", Hung has become a pop culture icon in recent weeks. The University of California at Berkeley engineering student has been spoofed on "Saturday Night Live" and is set to appear on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" next month.

it sickeness me as an artist that bands been out for ages, can't get record deals, yet this jobber gets one for being on TV for 15 minutes.

society sucks.

You know, William Hung seems like a genuinely nice guy and it's great that he's gotten his 15 minutes, but the fact still remains that he can't sing. I hope for his sake that he's got an amazing producer to make this album bearable...

Very old news...yet no one posted a thread on it before.

It's good cause it's something different and funny...but like baron said, it's bullshit that this guy gets a deal for having no honest to God talent, and good artists who bust their asses for years working for little to no money can't get a break

You know, William Hung seems like a genuinely nice guy and it's great that he's gotten his 15 minutes, but the fact still remains that he can't sing. I hope for his sake that he's got an amazing producer to make this album bearable...

I say if they treat it and market it like a joke CD, you know not to be taken seriously, comedy I think it will do fine. But, if they treat it like an honest to god serious "real" CD then it's going to flop big time.

You know, William Hung seems like a genuinely nice guy and it's great that he's gotten his 15 minutes, but the fact still remains that he can't sing.  I hope for his sake that he's got an amazing producer to make this album bearable...

I say if they treat it and market it like a joke CD, you know not to be taken seriously, comedy I think it will do fine. But, if they treat it like an honest to god serious "real" CD then it's going to flop big time.

Joke CD or not, it still pisses me off that major record labels are signing contracts to no talent sandbaggers.

Joke CD or not, it still pisses me off that major record labels are signing contracts to no talent sandbaggers.

That no talent is going to make a ton of money for the record label that signed him, though. Well, as long as they limit their spending for the creation and marketing of the CD. The thing will become the 'hip' thing to buy and all sorts of idiots will pick it up at $13.00 a pop. If you can make the label money, they couldn't care less how deserving you are.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Only in America could a bad singer become so popular that he gets a recording contract and a music video deal.

Wrong!

More egotistical Americanism.... :angry:

:P

You guys have obviously never heard on the modern day phenom which is The Cheeky Girls....

Marcus Harrington is presently without a record deal...Christ, it will be sad if Duna Hill doesnt get the push they deserve...

But this retard gets a cd? The fuck?

Wrong!

More egotistical Americanism.... :angry:

:P

You guys have obviously never heard on the modern day phenom which is The Cheeky Girls....

"Touch my bum, this is nice....Oh cheeky cheeky!"

They give Transilvania a bad name.

I think artist who deserve a big break but get looked over should start their own label. This doesn't bother me, since Koch is where struggling rappers go to for distribution.

Guest frowned
Only in America can a running gag run for OH SO VERY LONG.

dang - Simon Cowell's been pulling shit like this in England for years now. The Cheeky Girls, Mr Blobby, Teletubbies, Bob the Builder, Power Rangers - you know the scary thing? they all had hits - and the majority of them hit number one.

Maybe it means we'll be rid of the wanker for a while.

Cheeky Girls > William Hung.

But then again, I dug Girls Aloud while I was over there, so my vote might, you know, suck and stuff.

Guest Banders Kennany
dang - Simon Cowell's been pulling shit like this in England for years now. The Cheeky Girls, Mr Blobby, Teletubbies, Bob the Builder, Power Rangers - you know the scary thing? they all had hits - and the majority of them hit number one.

Number one hits?!?!

Anyone care to tell me that it takes talent to do anything anymore?

Every time I scream no one listens, once again, Im screaming about society needing a change, and no one will listen. And no one is gonna get called about how utterly wasteful, stupid, and completely uneccessary this truly is.

God I give up, im going back to drug dealing, shooting, and robbing people. Glad to know my college education is worth so much.

Preorder "The True Idol" - Release Date: April 6th

1. Two Worlds       

2. The Circle of Life       

3. She Bangs featuring The Gonnabees       

4. Can You Feel The Love Tonight       

5. Rocket Man       

6. Shake Your Bon Bon       

7. Free       

8. I believe I Can Fly       

9. Bailamos       

10. YMCA featuring The Gonnabees       

11. Hotel California       

Uh..huh..

Number one hits?!?!

Oh yes, very genuine number one hits. "Can We Fix It?" by Bob The Builder shat it's way to the Christmas number one spot, as did "Mr Blobby" by Mr Blobby. Hell, you think it's bad that the novelty act got a record deal? Over here, the novelty act won the fucking thing.

The sad part is that this CD will probably sell decently well due to the fact that so many people are obsessed with a guy who can't sing. William Hung is most definitely NOT the first person in the history of the world to be that bad at singing. Just watch American Idol every week and you can easily see this. I'm so glad to know that he'll outsell Machine Head's new CD... At least you'll have something to put on and laugh at/ piss people off with at parties.

Yeah and the UK outcasts get brought here to Australia...... and of course they all hit No.1 here too.

Bob the Builder, can we fix it

Bob the Builder, yes we can