TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Favorite DVD commentaries

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

The Goonies (by Richard Donner & Cast)

Spaceballs (by Mel Brooks)

The Simpsons Season DVDs (Random People)

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Indeed, YNA - any audio commentary on a View Askew DVD.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Beauty and the Beast

::snickers quietly::

Beauty & The Beast?! :lol:

Guest Anglesault
Beauty and the Beast

::snickers quietly::

Beauty & The Beast?! :lol:

Very funny commentary. They also do a great job on the Hunchback.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

The Simpsons are an obvious choice, all of them are quality. The new Dawn Of The Dead DVD has a really interesting commentary and I love hearing people like Romero talk about things they obviously care very much about while at the same time not taking it too damn seriously.

Basically, any commentary is fine with me as long as they are actually, ya know, talking. Awkward silence commentaries kill baby Jesus and not in the profitable big screen Mel Gibson movie way either.

Spaceballs

Young Frankenstein

Donnie Brasco

Army of Darkness

Conan - The Barbarian

Die Hard

Best in Show

Ghostbusters

Logan's Run

Jay & Silent Bob is ok

Hudson Hawk

Evild Dead commentary with Bruce Campbell is onw of my favorites

also Evil Dead 2 with Campbell, Raimi, the producer and the FX guys is hilarious too

Bruce Campbell's track for Evil Dead

any View Askew one

Robert Rodriguez's track for anything (ie: Mariachi trilogy and From Dusk til Dawn with Terrintino)

Wes Craven and Sean Cunningham's track for Last House on the Left

Guest wrestlingbs

Finding Nemo's commentary on the artwork is one of the best I've seen.

goonie's was cool too, if only for seeing the entire cast grown up.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes

Back To The Future Trilogy. There is a Q&A commentary on all 3 dics with Bob Zemekis (spelled wrong I bet) and Bob Gale, as well as regular commentary with Gale & some either guy who rarely speaks.

Edit: Also will agree on Ghostbusters & Young Frankenstein.

For some reason, I enjoy the Keira Knightley/Commodore Norrington commentary on Pirates of the Caribbean DVD. Keira's actually pretty funny, which I didn't expect at all, and she says my favorite line ever...well...not really...

"So, her and I became goodLOOK AT THAT CLEAVAGE!...we became good pals on the set."

Priceless.

Plus, Mallrats and Dogma still rank as my two favorites ever.

Guest Askewniverse

Clerks

Mallrats

Chasing Amy

Dogma

Clerks Uncensored

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Army of Darkness

Which Evil Dead/AOD has the best commentary. I might watch one today.

i think the one from Evil Dead 2 is the best, followed by the Campbell one in ED 1.

The commentaries on the Firefly box set are probably my favorite. The best ones are probably Joss and Nathan Fillion in "Serenity" and Nathan and Alan Tudyk in "War Stories". Both are hilarious AND insightful~

LOTR: Extended Editions (Cast)

I have to agree, but only when the hobbit actors are together... they are lots of fun to listen to (not that the other actors dont have interesting stuff to say, they do, but its not nearly as fun as the hobbit actors joking around). I wish they had the whole movie to themselves to comment on

I really dug the commentary for the first Scream, which was weird, considering how much I fucking hated that movie. It was just that Wes Craven patiently sat down and pointed out a bunch of little details that I didn't notice, explained the reasoning behind things that I thought were stupid, and generally said why he made the movie he did. Very fascinating, and gave me a lot more respect for him.

LOTR:  Extended Editions (Cast)

I have to agree, but only when the hobbit actors are together... they are lots of fun to listen to (not that the other actors dont have interesting stuff to say, they do, but its not nearly as fun as the hobbit actors joking around). I wish they had the whole movie to themselves to comment on

The Hobbits are the most entertaining, but you can also get plenty of insight from Ian McKellan, Christopher Lee & Sean Bean. Orlando Bloom & John Rhys-Davies are basically wastes of space and don't say anything they didn't already talk about on the documentaries.

Clerks the movie had a boring commentary even with Jay passing out. Clerks the animated series on the other hand had awesome commentaries with all the stories like Korean animator Han and K.I.T.T. working in the Quick Stop.

Am I the only one who prefers the Futurama commentaries to the Simpsons commentaries? The Futurama guys just sound like they're having a blast, while it just sounds like something is missing with the Simpsons guys.

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
Am I the only one who prefers the Futurama commentaries to the Simpsons commentaries? The Futurama guys just sound like they're having a blast, while it just sounds like something is missing with the Simpsons guys.

Maybe because the episodes of the Simpsons were over a decade ago when the commentary is done. Futurama is (in a way) more recent and easier to discuss without going "uh....something"

Several of the guys who worked on both shows (including Matt Groening) have said that they enjoyed working on Futurama more. That and Billy West & John Dimaggio are much more talkative than the Simpsons cast.