TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ripper

Most annoying things in fighting games

I was playing Soul Caliber the other day and the guy I was playing was talking about how "good" he was and can't be beaten and what ever. Apparently, his good is using the 8 way directional thing and just running in circles all day until you swing and go for an attack. It was some of the most boring fighting game experience I have ever had.

In the good ol day of 2d fighters, the worst you would have was the people that would sit on the block all day and sit in the corner throwing projectiles. they were annoying but 3d fighters added a whole new level of annoyance to me.

I'm sorry, but being good in a fighting game consist of, well, FIGHTING the damn match instead of that pussy ass running crap. Using blocks and moving laterally is fine when used in a real stragedy but when that is ALL you do, it is boring and annoying. I know that some will disagree, but I just found it so annoying that I had to say bitch about it.

Now....I'm done

Hitting you a few times and trying to escape to let the timer run out is his strategy?

It seems a bit hard to believe that he could effectively pull that off. It's quite easy to hit some one out of that in SC. You should be able to catch up to him without much problems. Although I haven't played it in a while and never tried doing that, so I may be wrong.

Actually, turtling that isn't the worst you'd have to deal with in 2D fighters. People would abuse throws, the vs. games had those annoying infinites and chipping-to-death, certain characters are just too damn strong in some games, and so on. Of course, none of this is present in SF3: 3rd Strike. :) Turtlers? Prepare to be stunned. Projectile happy? Those suckers are a cinch to parry. Throws? Not too difficult to counter. Overpowered characters? Nuh-uh. Even Gill kinda sucks aside from his supers.

Hitting you a few times and trying to escape to let the timer run out is his strategy?

It seems a bit hard to believe that he could effectively pull that off. It's quite easy to hit some one out of that in SC. You should be able to catch up to him without much problems. Although I haven't played it in a while and never tried doing that, so I may be wrong.

Actually, turtling that isn't the worst you'd have to deal with in 2D fighters. People would abuse throws, the vs. games had those annoying infinites and chipping-to-death, certain characters are just too damn strong in some games, and so on. Of course, none of this is present in SF3: 3rd Strike. :) Turtlers? Prepare to be stunned. Projectile happy? Those suckers are a cinch to parry. Throws? Not too difficult to counter. Overpowered characters? Nuh-uh. Even Gill kinda sucks aside from his supers.

Don't get me wrong, I won the fights, but goddamn was it annoying.

He was more of the "I'm not going to attack ever because I would have to get close to him so I will just run in a circle or sit on the block button and literally STAND there to use a guard impact or something to get one freakin hit in and go back to the running/blocking combo" type of player. That isn't skill...thats just pissing people off.

Of course, none of this is present in SF3: 3rd Strike. :) Turtlers? Prepare to be stunned. Projectile happy? Those suckers are a cinch to parry. Throws? Not too difficult to counter. Overpowered characters? Nuh-uh. Even Gill kinda sucks aside from his supers.

Um no, throws are a huge factor in 3rd strike and are hard to avoid if you play good people.

My friend wasn't ever as good at Capcom and MK games as me and my other friend. His strategy involved jump kicks and sweeps. He did that all the time and you know if you get caught in a sweep fest it can be difficult. Same thing with constant jump kicks before you can stand up. However what he didn't realize was that that takes no skill and can be done right back to his dumbass.

This isn't so much annoying as it is funny, but people who claim to be really good at games, so you just waltz out and kick their ass the first time you play.

That's funny.

Oh, and this is more a wrestling game thing then a fighting game thing, but the belief that graphics = good game. FOOLS.

I've actually had people use "You can see his hair move!" as a defense for one of the SD games. I spent the rest of the night pissing him off with comments like "Man, this play control pisses me off, but that doesn't matter, because at least I can see his HAIR MOVE! Isn't that WONDERFUL? Everyone walks like they have a stick in their ass, but thank God you can see their HAIR MOVE while they do it! How did we ever live before HAIR MOVED in video games?"

I fucking hate the emphasis on graphics in games these days in general.

Of course, none of this is present in SF3: 3rd Strike. :)  Turtlers?  Prepare to be stunned.  Projectile happy?  Those suckers are a cinch to parry.  Throws?  Not too difficult to counter. Overpowered characters?  Nuh-uh.  Even Gill kinda sucks aside from his supers.

Um no, throws are a huge factor in 3rd strike and are hard to avoid if you play good people.

Eh, well, my point is that they aren't as damaging and abusable as they were back in, say, the SF II/MK days.

My friend wasn't ever as good at Capcom and MK games as me and my other friend. His strategy involved jump kicks and sweeps.

He must have been practicing against the computer in one of the MK games. :P

This isn't so much annoying as it is funny, but people who claim to be really good at games, so you just waltz out and kick their ass the first time you play.

Well then follow my strategy. Never say anything about your skills.

If you beat there ass over.....AND OVER again in impressive fashion then you say:

"Did I mention that I'm awesome?"

if you lose to them a bunch you say:

"Yeah I've never really played this game."

That way you don't look like a dipshit.

Its annoying how people know how to do all those crazy combos in fighting games by heart.

It's really no different from knowing how to do certain things in games well. Read stuff on the net, and practice, practice, practice. Good people don't come out of nowhere; they are trained from the iron forge of practice.

Thing is you only need to learn a handful of BnB's followed by some simple/intermediate combos and just work it into your gameplay. Rarely will a moment present itself in a match where you can land your 100% cross up super cancel kara hyper BC raged combo. There is no practical use for the crazy crap I see in most combo videos.

Unless we are talking about some shit like marvel.

Well then follow my strategy. Never say anything about your skills.

If you beat there ass over.....AND OVER again in impressive fashion then you say:

"Did I mention that I'm awesome?"

if you lose to them a bunch you say:

"Yeah I've never really played this game."

That way you don't look like a dipshit.

What's even more annoying is beating a tag team of friends who change turns after every round.

Throws are not cheap in MK.

People that get angry at the arcade are lame. They're the worst kind of scrubs.

Yeah, getting angry is pretty weak, especially if you slam the buttons or kick the machine. Hurting the machine because you suck is really pathetic.

Anyone who says they "play for fun" to justify their lack of skill. Just annoys me, especially because those people tend to be the same ones kicking the machine. Yeah, certainly looks like you're enjoying all that losing!

Those people that, right when a game comes out, look for the most abusable move and do it over and over. Yeah, that's so productive, way to help everyone get better! And then they quit as soon as their one move stops working, yay.

I loved kicking the crap out of a three-man team in SFA2 back when I was going to see MIB in the theatres, with Ryu, and alpha countering them into oblivion.

Anyone who says they "play for fun" to justify their lack of skill.

Speaking of those people, how about "you only won because you play this so much!" or "I used to be good back in the day but I'm out of practice!".

People... still go to arcades?

I can't stand it anymore. Usually (not everyone) just a bunch of fat kids with too tight black shirts, red sweatpants, inch thick glasses, pimples and high pitched super fast way of talking about Anime, stupid card games or someother shit. It's better for my health not to be around so many people I want to stab in the face.

But I used to be decent at Virtua Fighter & Street Fighter (various incarnation) at the old arcade I went to in middle school. I got my ass whupped, did some ass whupping, lost close ones, won close ones... just wasting time to me.

The worst excuses are "I'm not used to this side of the screen" and "This stick is busted, I swear I was blocking."

I had to explain to the dumbass that the move was an overhead.

Anyone who says they "play for fun" to justify their lack of skill.

Speaking of those people, how about "you only won because you play this so much!" or "I used to be good back in the day but I'm out of practice!".

"You only won because you play this so much" sounds like a very accurate statement. I mean... why else would you win?

Anyway, back when I was into this stuff, my big strategy was to punch the guy I'm playing against in the arm. Score some big damage during the distraction. Eventually I could pull out the feint punch in the arm, just like we were in a fighting game. I'm sure you all would have hated me. Street Fighter was my game, which was fun, because nobody ever realized how imbalanced Dhalsim was. They just assumed I was really good. And if I did happen to run into somebody who could fight back... punch in the arm.

"You only won because you play this so much" sounds like a very accurate statement. I mean... why else would you win?

That's the point. People will say it like they're revealing a huge scandel. Like it's some big horrible secret that praciting or knowledge is good.

I've been called just about every name you can think of, thanks to my ability to destroy my friends/family at every fighting game I own, which happens to be a lot.

Thing is, I've never been one to spend hours and hours playing games non-stop. I only play video games when I've got nothing else that I should be doing, be that University related or other day-to-day activities. Despite that, all time I do spend on video games is on (at the moment) either Tekken Tag Tournament, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution or Mortal Kombat:Deadly Alliance, and I'm pretty much unbeatable at those, as they're the only games I bother to play.

'Fuckwit', 'cocksucker', 'you're controller is busted, you bastard', 'fuck this, you're cheating' and 'Okay, now I'm going to start trying' are just some of the gems I've had thrown at me after beating numerous challengers.

UYI

I can't stand it anymore. Usually (not everyone) just a bunch of fat kids with too tight black shirts, red sweatpants, inch thick glasses, pimples and high pitched super fast way of talking about Anime, stupid card games or someother shit. It's better for my health not to be around so many people I want to stab in the face.

But I used to be decent at Virtua Fighter & Street Fighter (various incarnation) at the old arcade I went to in middle school. I got my ass whupped, did some ass whupping, lost close ones, won close ones... just wasting time to me.

I have never in my life met someone like that at the arcade.

Guest Goodear

Shit you can't go to an arcade and be out of shape anymore. Everything is you dancing, ducking, punching, swinging shit around... and Galaga. Thank god for Galaga.

Well, that and the fact that you have to take out a large loan just to afford playing for more than half an hour or so. I've seen one or two games for $2 a turn...that shit ought to be illegal.

Yeah, getting angry is pretty weak, especially if you slam the buttons or kick the machine. Hurting the machine because you suck is really pathetic.

Anyone who says they "play for fun" to justify their lack of skill. Just annoys me, especially because those people tend to be the same ones kicking the machine. Yeah, certainly looks like you're enjoying all that losing!

Those people that, right when a game comes out, look for the most abusable move and do it over and over. Yeah, that's so productive, way to help everyone get better! And then they quit as soon as their one move stops working, yay.

I also hate people that act like it's a rite of passage to be awesome at a game and if you can't beat them and don't take it seriously then there must be something wrong with you.

This is why I play most games alone........

people playing with Sub-Zero in MK games, and freezeng you and uppercuting you over and over, ALL the freaking match!

Anyone who dared used Sub Zero and that freeze crap against me got their ass promptly handed to them. I would just jump right over the ice attack, jump kick them, uppercut, uppercut, leg sweep.

My strategy in fighting games is to let my opponent attack first to get a feel of what they can do(in the first round). Once the second round comes, I charge and just attack.

I like to stay on the ground in most fighting games and back my opponent into a wall or corner and just pummel the hell out of them.

I've been called just about every name you can think of, thanks to my ability to destroy my friends/family at every fighting game I own, which happens to be a lot.

Thing is, I've never been one to spend hours and hours playing games non-stop. I only play video games when I've got nothing else that I should be doing, be that University related or other day-to-day activities. Despite that, all time I do spend on video games is on (at the moment) either Tekken Tag Tournament, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution or Mortal Kombat:Deadly Alliance, and I'm pretty much unbeatable at those, as they're the only games I bother to play.

'Fuckwit', 'cocksucker', 'you're controller is busted, you bastard', 'fuck this, you're cheating' and 'Okay, now I'm going to start trying' are just some of the gems I've had thrown at me after beating numerous challengers.

UYI

I know how you feel. My family got awful pissed at me a few years ago during Christmas time. I had just gotten Tekken 2 and I had gotten really good at it. The people I was good with were King, Paul Phoenix, Lei, and Jack 2. I remember taking it over my grandma's house to play it on my cousin's PsOne.

About an hour later, I had beaten everyone in my grandma's house in the game. Only one loss came when my brother wanted a rematch after I had beaten everyone and I didn't feel like playing anymore.

Poor bastards, I was 9 when I beat all of them :P .

Oh man, some of these "strategies" are laughable. Where are the people that actually play fighting games on a regular basis? Renegade? Thoth? SOMEONE CHIME IN WITH SOMETHING REAL!

Can anyone drop a link to "The Code Of The Scrub" for everyone to read?

Don't even get me started on the guy who thinks there are no overpowered characters in 3rd Strike.