TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fökai

The Official TSM Mock NFL Draft

*Note: Can't be arsed to find a pic of the guy so if anybody wants to put one up, go right ahead.*

With the 57th pick of the draft, the New England Patriots select OLB Kendyll Pope out of Florida State.

OVERVIEW

Three-year starter at the weakside outside linebacker position, joining Michael Boulware in forming the second-best outside linebacker tandem in college football, according to ESPN … Like Boulware, Kendyll could shift to strong safety at the pro level, due to his great speed and explosive open-field tackling ability … Several nagging injuries sidetracked his quest to become the school's all-time tackle leader, but he did manage to record 352 tackles (178 solos) with five sacks for minus-26 yards, 28 stops for losses of 89 yards, eight quarterback pressures, a fumble recovery, three forced fumbles, five interceptions for 27 yards in returns and a touchdown and 12 pass deflections while starting 34 of 46 games … His 352 tackles rank ninth on the school's all-time record list.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a developing upper-body frame that delivers power when tackling … Plays with natural linebacker's instincts and awareness, doing a fine job of tracking and flowing to the ball … Avoids blocks well coming off the edge and has the recovery speed to get back into the play when beaten … Fearless type who will simply explode behind his tackles and shows no hesitation taking on larger blockers … Shows adequate use of hands to redirect the tight ends in the short zone … Has good change-of-direction agility and speed to get to the outside to cut off the plays … Runs through traffic with good effort, bringing his arms and feet to fit, secure and wrap as a tackler … Holds his ground firmly vs. the run, doing a nice job of shadowing the play … Has the quickness and plant-and-drive agility to get good depth in his pass drops … Will look up and compete with the receivers for the ball … His quickness coming out of his breaks and natural hands to make the interception in front of him could see him shift to safety at the pro level.

Negatives: Adequate worker in the weight room who needs to do a better job of taking care of his body (needs better nutritional program to add bulk and must dedicate the hours it takes in the weight room to add muscle definition to his lean, narrow frame) … While he shows fearlessness, he does get engulfed by the larger blockers due to his size … Shows natural pop on contact, but has to improve his overall strength (271-pound bench press) … Runs through traffic with no hesitation, but gets out of control sometimes in pursuit, outrunning the play … His lack of ideal brute strength prevents him from shedding when a blocker gets into his chest … Has the speed and frame to play safety and may be better off there, as he's been banged up quite a bit working in the box.

- With the outside linebacker corps getting older(Roman Phifer at 36, Mike Vrabel at 30, Ted Johnson at 32) the addition of Kendyll Pope will allow him to be a solid member teaming up with either Vrabel or Colvin to give the linebackers another explosive tackler with excellent speed to rush the passer. He'd definitely be a strong player under Belichik's scheme and could shift to Strong Safety where he would take over for Harrison if the need arises.

*repeatedly punts Frigid in the nuts after acquiring a guy who could play SS*

Rest of the round

58. Tennessee Titans - Gert T

59. Philadelphia Eagles - me

60. Indianapolis Colts - Flyboy

61. New Orleans Saints - Flyboy

62. Kansas City Chiefs - Vern

63. Carolina Panthers - BX

64. New England Patriots - Harley

We should be able to get that done today

With the 58th overall selection, the Tennessee Titans select:

Nat Dorsey, OT Georgia Tech

Dorsey, entered the draft early, and probably should have stayed in school, as many people cite technique and footwork as weaknesses. He shows the "potential" to be one of the best players left at this point and with add Tennesee being depleted at tackle, this is a good fit.

Guest FrigidSoul

The New England Patriots War Room has now become one large nut kicking fest

With the 59th selection in the 2004 TSM draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select....Derrick Strait, CB, Oklahoma

There was much debate in the Eagles war room about taking a player with higher upside in this slot. But with the loss of Vincent and Taylor, the Eagles need someone who can immediately step into at least a nickel position, so a trade off was made for immediate impact compared to long term potential.

Guest Flyboy

Colts pick Teddy Lehman (OLB) from the University of Oklahoma.

Saints pick Keith Smith (DB/CB) from McNeese State.

EDIT: Sorry so short. I have a major homework load.

Edited by Flyboy

Guest Flyboy
Are we doing round 3?

We still have over a week.

I think we should stop at Round 4.

I'll go as long as people want to go. I spend so much friggin time on here that my picks probably won't take very long, depending on what picks I might need to pick up and research. I am also for the shorter time frame. At 6 hours you should be able to check up. If not, I'm sure someone could make an effort to do a little checking up on team needs and make a pick for you.

Guest Flyboy
I'm not sure how well I will do as far as evaluations because this draft seems to reach a lot past the second round.

Not if you know your college football... *whistles*

Oh I keep up on it (to a point admittedly)... perhaps it is just because I am looking at the Seahawks needs and there really isn't anything outside of DT/DE, MLB, SS and perhaps a WR and the usual QB.

I am going to call it quits once the actual draft starts. I would hope we could get through round 4 by the actual draft and at that point I would just be picking names out of a hat anyway.

With the 64th pick in the NFL Draft, the New England Patriots select Defensive Tackle Donnell Washington out of Clemson.

donnellwashington.jpg

OVERVIEW

Two-year starter with an excellent blend of size, strength and quickness … Dominating run stuffer who shows a relentless nature in pursuit … Compared to former Clemson great Chester McGlockton, for his ability to instantly plug the rush lanes and explosive burst into the backfield … Started 26 of 38 games during his career, registering 155 tackles (96 solos) with nine sacks for minus-52 yards, 23 stops for losses of 86 yards, 52 quarterback pressures and two pass deflections while participating in 1,653 plays.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a thick, massive frame, showing good balance and foot agility … Has well-developed arms, a wide waist and thick legs … Has a very aggressive nature, using his hands with force to split double teams … Effective staying low in his pads and generating an explosive initial burst to defeat combo blocks … Will shock blockers on the rise with his hand jolt … Sets with a heavy anchor and a wide leg base, holding ground firmly at the point of attack … His hand usage prevents blockers from locking on, as he uses his long arm reach to stave off his man … Very nimble when redirecting, keeping his feet as he slides down the line … Agile on the lateral move and has enough speed to deliver tackles on the edge … Can break down and stuff the running backs when working in space … Good wrap-up tackler who is very effective collapsing the pocket as he utilizes his speed to immediately penetrate the gaps … More effective working in the 3-technique, as he can sink his hips, keep his pad level low and provide a heavy anchor coming over the guard's head … Easily defeats blockers across their face, using powerful rip and swim moves to escape.

Negatives: Needs to control his weight (when he carries extra pounds, he tends to lose stamina late in games) … Has a tenacious streak, but needs to keep his emotions in check (will get frustrated when his initial move does not work) … Has great strength at the point of attack when he keeps his pad level low, but when he gets high in his stance, blockers can get under his jersey to lock on … Has good hand usage to keep blockers away when on the move, but needs to do a better job of snatching and pulling blockers off their base when trying to separate … Very effective at penetrating the line of scrimmage and pressuring the quarterback, but is not quick to locate the ball (gets more pressures than sacks, as he will tend to overrun the play).

- Dockett can help the defensive line as a 3rd down player and can come in if injuries strike as well.

Couple of quick questions:

1. Is anyone going to be here late tonight that I could PM GertT's pick to instead of waiting til I get up in the morning to post it?

2. Are we going to start booting teams that consistently miss the 12 hour limit?