TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

The NES themed GBA SP is..

The Official Press Release from Nintendo:

NINTENDO LAUNCHES CLASSIC NES GAMES FOR GAME BOY ADVANCE SP

The Games are, Like, Way Awesome, and the New Game Boy Advance SP is Bitchin'

REDMOND, Wash., March 29, 2004 - Wait 'til you hear! On June 7, Nintendo is going totally retro with a classic collection of eight Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)® games for the Game Boy® Advance and a tubular new Game Boy® Advance SP that looks like an itty bitty NES console. The '80s were, like, a long time ago. But everything from then is way cool again. Back then, games went from blocky bleeps and bloops to sweet side-scrollers like Super Mario Bros.® And the most excellent NES saved the day for the video game industry. Bonus!

"I mean, Donkey Kong and Pac-Man? These are, like, the best games ever," says Perrin "Mallrat" Kaplan, Nintendo of America's vice president, marketing and corporate affairs. "And if you aren't just dying to get your hands on the gnarly new Classic NES Limited Edition GBA SP, you're a total dweeb."

OK, so let's break it down: The bodacious new Game Boy Advance SP has the same guts and everything as a regular one, but its casing looks just like the NES. And it's still at an MSRP of $99.99. Be sure to get to the mall, like, really early, because it's a "limited edition."

The Classic NES Series, which you totally have to get, includes all the hottest retro games, each one at an MSRP of $19.99. Check it out:

Donkey Kong: The best game featuring a plumber rescuing a princess from a big ape pretty much ever.

Pac-Man: Hel-lo? If you don't know this game then where have you been?

The Legend of Zelda: Dude! How classic can you get? The righteous Link whips Ganon and saves Zelda. Link rules!

Super Mario Bros.: There are pipes and coins and these grody goombas and you just stomp away.

Excitebike: It's a rad motocross racing game that lets you rip around a track and kick up dirt and stuff.

Ice Climber: Like, duh. You climb the ice and whack monsters.

Xevious: Go to space and shoot stuff with your wicked spaceship.

Bomberman: Drop bombs on the baddies.

The worldwide leader and innovator in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its popular home and portable video game systems. Each year, hundreds of all-new titles for the best-selling Game Boy® Advance and Nintendo GameCube™ systems extend Nintendo's vast game library and continue the tradition of delivering a rich, diverse mix of quality video games for players of all ages. Since the release of its first home video game system in 1983, Nintendo has sold more than 1.8 billion video games globally, creating enduring industry icons such as Mario™ and Donkey Kong® and launching popular culture franchise phenomena such as Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon®. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere.

For more information about Nintendo, visit the company's Web site at www.nintendo.com.

I like the 80's theme of the release, it fits the 80's games. If I really wanted a GBA SP, I would probably get this.

I would have thought this was a fake Press Release because the use of the word Bitchin', but i guess not. I'll snag one of these SPs plus Mario Bros. and Zelda. Pretty darn nifty. Shame that they didn't put multiple games on a Cart.

Is the fancy nature of this item supposed to distract me from the fact that they could have fit all these games on one cartridge...and instead are going to charge me 5 times what it should cost?

Cause...it worked.

I just long for the day where I can buy more than one Nintendo product a year and feel like I got my money's worth.

Uh... why Ice Climber and Xevious? The rest of the games on there are either revered classics or cult sleepers, but those two just stick out as not belonging.

I already have an SP, but couldn't they accomplish the same effect with the look by selling stickers to go over the regular GBA SPs? Hell, that's probably all it is.

Oh, and Nintendo did basically the same promotion in Japan already. You can actually find reviews of the NES port games here: http://www.toastyfrog.com (and hey, it's ran by a fellow Xenophobe).

Donkey Kong doesn't have the cement factory. BOOO!! Pac-Man was better on NGPC, also, BTW.

Forget Pac-Man get the 4-in-1 cart that has Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, Pole Position. Or the Pac-Man Collection cart that has Pac-Man Arrangement, Pac-Attack, Pac-Mania, and the orginal Pac-Man game.

Guest TonyJaymzV1

....What they should do is put a small assortment of NES or SNES games on one cart, and sell it. Serously, I want an Earthbound Adavance Damnit!

....What they should do is put a small assortment of NES or SNES games on one cart, and sell it. Serously, I want an Earthbound Adavance Damnit!

Earthbound Advance is already out....

Of course, you need to be able to read Japanese to enjoy it. =P

Guest TonyJaymzV1

Earthbound Advance is already out....

Of course, you need to be able to read Japanese to enjoy it. =P

son of a bitch, I picked the wrong language

Army Recruiter: Okay Tony, your test scores are good, so, what kind of language do you want to learn for your MOS?

Tony: Well, I like chinese food and hong kong movies so....how about Manadarin Chinese?

Army Recruiter: Interesting...maybe you can learn that after Arabic.

Tony: Say What?

Xevious and Ice Climbers were both huge hits in Japan, and these ae just ports of the Famicom Mini Games that were released in Japan, so they're just porting them as well.

I would also assume that Ice Climbers is getting a US release because after Super Smash Bros.: Melee, the collective question on the game was "Who the fuck are the Ice Climbers?". Damned IGN, getting Nintendo to waste character space with them.

... or you can do like me and get a used Dreamcast for 20 bucks, then burn a copy of the Nester disc floating around that has hundreds of Nintendo games all rolled into one CD.

Xevious and Ice Climbers were both huge hits in Japan, and these ae just ports of the Famicom Mini Games that were released in Japan, so they're just porting them as well.

Which also explains why Metroid isn't among these. Yeah, it's unlockable in Metroid Prime, but also because Japan hates Metroid.

I would also assume that Ice Climbers is getting a US release because after Super Smash Bros.: Melee, the collective question on the game was "Who the fuck are the Ice Climbers?". Damned IGN, getting Nintendo to waste character space with them. 

See also: Fire Emblem.

Well I have an SP that I'm perfectly happy with so I won't be getting another one just for the look. BUT, I will be getting the Zelda port, for sure! Don't have much interest in the other games. Now, if the NES Dragon Warrior series or Final Fantasy 3 [Japanese Famicom game - the only one that hasn't been released over here] were on that list, I'd be all over those.

Well I have an SP that I'm perfectly happy with so I won't be getting another one just for the look. BUT, I will be getting the Zelda port, for sure! Don't have much interest in the other games. Now, if the NES Dragon Warrior series or Final Fantasy 3 [Japanese Famicom game - the only one that hasn't been released over here] were on that list, I'd be all over those.

Screw Final Fantasy.

Give us Crystalis.

Screw Final Fantasy.

Give us Crystalis.

Agreed!!! :D

Guest Razor Roman

What are the differences between this Super Mario Brothers, and SMB DX for Gameboy Color?

Guest Razor Roman

duplicate post.

Not to mention I already read the answer by following the link above. It is just the NES game with the graphics squashed to fit the squeen properly.

No bonus features. I think I'll keep the DX for now.

Guest Vitamin X

OK fine Nintendo, I'll buy the fucking GBA. At least I'll have something other than my cellphone Tetris to enjoy on the road. I've held off on buying this contraption because I've had real bad luck with Game Boys before and I can't fathom liking the game collection enough to buy another one. But the marketing is...tooo...damn....appealing to my...demographic......MUST...BUY....80's styled Game Boy....

That thing is ugly and the price for each game is ridiculous. Dumb.

What a total chick statement. Pfeh.

What are the differences between this Super Mario Brothers, and SMB DX for Gameboy Color?

DX doesn't have the same screen proportions as the NES version, so it's a lot harder.

This version of SMB is basically about equal to the NES scren proportions, so in that regard it is superior.