TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

I want Senators and a team that can give me a good series in the final but will still allow Ottawa to take the Cup. Colorado, Calgary? My only fear is that if two or even one Canadian team makes the Finals, coverage gets demoted from ABC to ESPN or ESPN2, or possibly off American airwaves altogether.

No chance of that...Disney is contracted to carry the games, and they damn well better.

4-2 Vancouver on a goal off a delayed penalty call.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
Calgary will bounce back.  Remember that this is the first time the majoirty of that team has even been in the playoffs.  They'll soundly defeat the Canucks in the series and move onto fairly good things.  The nerves are bad penalties are killing them right now.

Nieminen and Simon got the penalties, both are playoff vets.

I didn't say the two problems were mutually exclusive.

They are nervous AND taking bad penalties.

The flames can still come back as we've all witnessed a Cloutier sized meltdown before.

(4) Toronto Maple Leafs vs. (5) Ottawa Senators (Toronto has more experience and the Sens are just NOT a good playoff team) in 6

Yeah, that run to Game 7 of the conference finals last year sure proved that.

but they didnt win, did they

and this is the 2004 playoffs, not last year

Guest Wildbomb 4:20

Bruins were in top shape tonight. Good to see Thornton back on the ice. Raycroft had a terrific start, and if the Bruins go up 2-0 after Friday night in a big way (aka another 3-0 handling), look out.

Good to see the FleetCenter rockin' out too. They finally got that place up to GAHDEN~! levels of excitement.

Good to see the FleetCenter rockin' out too. They finally got that place up to GAHDEN~! levels of excitement.

I was at the Bruins game tonight, and man it was exciting.

My first ever Stanley Cup playoff game and when Gonchar scored the first goal, i literally jumped 5 feet off my seat and my adrenline was running with everyone going crazy.

Well I slept through Dallas-Colorado, but it appears there were no surprises tonight. BTW it was hilarious how we already had our next Giguere 2 periods into the first game. How'd that end up Nashville. Thanks a lot for living up to everybody's standards around here ESPN crews.

The anthem singer in Vancouver holding the mic up and letting the crowd sing the middle stanza of O Canada makes my list of the 10 Coolest Things I Have Seen This Year (just like last year).

I don't know if you were at the game or just watching it on TV, but did you also notice Oliwa mocking the anthem towards the end, barking out expletives and doing the 'yeahyeahyeah' type of mouthing? You've got to be insane to mock the anthem of the country that you're representing in the playoffs; technically, you've got to be an idiot to mock any anthem, I guess.

The Bruins looked very good tonight ... I wonder who the last goalie to have a shutout in their first playoff game was? (it can't be too long ago, but I wonder who it was). The new guys (Slegr, Gonchar, Nylander) all played very well. Thornton looked to be near 100%. And all four lines were flying around the ice.

I do have to disagree with WB4:20, though, the Fleet Center has never gotten as loud as the Garden used to. It was impossible not to leave a playoff game there without a huge headache. (There would have been a 5 minute 'bullshit' chant after that goal was declared a non-goal.) Maybe if the B's get to or win the Cup, that place might reach Garden levels ... but until then, it's just a farce when the jumbotron declares the noise to be at Garden level.

I don't know if you were at the game or just watching it on TV, but did you also notice Oliwa mocking the anthem towards the end, barking out expletives and doing the 'yeahyeahyeah' type of mouthing? You've got to be insane to mock the anthem of the country that you're representing in the playoffs; technically, you've got to be an idiot to mock any anthem, I guess.

Eh, noone's ever accused pro athletes of being super geniuses, although of course there are exceptions.

Guest FrigidSoul
I do have to disagree with WB4:20, though, the Fleet Center has never gotten as loud as the Garden used to. It was impossible not to leave a playoff game there without a huge headache. (There would have been a 5 minute 'bullshit' chant after that goal was declared a non-goal.) Maybe if the B's get to or win the Cup, that place might reach Garden levels ... but until then, it's just a farce when the jumbotron declares the noise to be at Garden level.

I went to the game last year at the FleetCenter where the Celts knocked the Pacers out of the Playoffs and moved on. It reached Garden levels...which shocked the shit out of me. I mean the guy sitting next to me bought a beer and the vibrations from the noise literally spilt beer out of the cup repeatedly. I left with a headache and didn't have my voice for 3 days after.

Beautiful goal by Hossa. Go Sens~!

Roenick had a nice goal for Philly...say what you will about the guy, but he's playing just as tough as he did before the injury and he's playing without a visor.

Yeah, the Celts got the place pretty loud a couple of times, but the Fleet finally got its foundation shook the other night.

If the B's go up 2-0 in the series and the Fleet doesn't have the foundation shaking, I will be very disappointed with my fellow Bostonians. Wednesday was extremely loud from the press box. Shit. And tomorrow night I actually get to cheer, instead of having to be "impartial and unbiased." Although it would be good to get some better interviews this time around. Sullivan is just not a good post-gamer. And Jacobs is, well, Jacobs.

Guest FrigidSoul

WildBomb 4:20...I'm begging you to come to Worcester and take me to the game. I must see this...and get Bergeron's autograph as well.

Good to see that the Senators won. Wait, that's right, I can't see it, I'm a dumb American.

NHL Center Ice...;)

Pre-order next season now, and you get the playoffs.

Nothing beats watching CBC while living in Florida.

Good to see that the Senators won. Wait, that's right, I can't see it, I'm a dumb American.

NHL Center Ice...;)

Next season, I'm living in a dorm.

And still, I shouldn't have to order the whole season package to watch playoff games. I'm entitled to that much from ESPN. I don't want to pay for the rights to Panthers vs. Stars, Sharks vs. Lightning, or Predators vs. ANYBODY...I just want to see the Senators in the postseason.

The reason we don't get the games is because of the start of the baseball season, and the fact that there are so many Canadian teams in the playoffs. I fucking hate ESPN.

Well, the Leafs sure played like shit tonight. Any more games like that and this'll be a short series. I'll be in Toronto over the weekend, so hopefully they win Saturday night so they'll be a nice atmosphere out there.

Good recovery by the Sens after an average first period. The Leafs stopped playing team hockey around the time the Sens took the lead in the second.

I will be stoked if I have the opportunity to watch the Sens go up 3-0 in person Monday night.

DEVILS LOSE!

Thank God. The sooner Brodeur is out of the playoffs, the better.

There are only three teams I can see tripping up Ottawa in the East. They're playing one, and Boston and New Jersey are the others.

NHL Center Ice...;)

Next season, I'm living in a dorm.

And still, I shouldn't have to order the whole season package to watch playoff games. I'm entitled to that much from ESPN. I don't want to pay for the rights to Panthers vs. Stars, Sharks vs. Lightning, or Predators vs. ANYBODY...I just want to see the Senators in the postseason.

You also get Sens v. Leafs, Sens v. Red Wings, etc. ;)

Sorry to all those wishing to attend Bruins games with me, but most of the time I get in with my media credential, which I basically sold my soul to the devil named Jacobs for.

Although playoff tickets are still available, and I highly suggest getting them. Plus, you need to get your ass to Boston yourself: Emerson doesn't allow students to have cars when they live on campus.

Guest FrigidSoul

I can carry around a box of sharpened #2 pencils and a cup of coffee so you can just say I'm your assistant.