TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

The 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

I agree its 1:13 in the morning here and Im starting to get tired, C'mon Flames do it already.....please? They had better win, but if not why do I think I will be up this late again on Monday?

Uh, by the way, I think there's something wrong with your clock. No matter what time zone you're in, it should be the same number of minutes past the hour which would be 44 when you posted, a good half an hour off from 13 in either direction.

Rats, game 7 it is.

I agree its 1:13 in the morning here and Im starting to get tired, C'mon Flames do it already.....please? They had better win, but if not why do I think I will be up this late again on Monday?

Uh, by the way, I think there's something wrong with your clock. No matter what time zone you're in, it should be the same number of minutes past the hour which would be 44 when you posted, a good half an hour off from 13 in either direction.

IIRC, the Maritimes are a half hour off from EST. He might be from there.

I thought Halifax was an hour ahead of New York and such, and then Nefoundland is half an hour ahead of Halifax.

Yup thats where Im from alright :D

I thought Halifax was an hour ahead of New York and such, and then Nefoundland is half an hour ahead of Halifax.

Oh, all right. My bad then.

Yeah anyways this is where we talk about the NHL Playoffs not what time it is in Newfoundland so lets move on.

After the no call on that goal, I just knew that TB was going to win..

Lets hear more of that "Its a giant conspiracy against Canada" stuff..

YOU MEAN ITS NOT A GIANT CONSPIRACY AGAINST CANADA!?!

Whatever Canada wins the Cup every single year anyways despite if it was a Canadian team that one it or not. How many Canadian players are with Tampa again? Im sure most of them are. Far as Im concered that means Canada wins it every year.

And now for everyone to call me stupid.

Meh I figured the Flames would loose anyways since they were doing so good and all.....yeah I know it makes no sence.

After the no call on that goal, I just knew that TB was going to win..

Lets hear more of that "Its a giant conspiracy against Canada" stuff..

YOU MEAN ITS NOT A GIANT CONSPIRACY AGAINST CANADA!?!

Whatever Canada wins the Cup every single year anyways despite if it was a Canadian team that one it or not. How many Canadian players are with Tampa again? Im sure most of them are. Far as Im concered that means Canada wins it every year.

And now for everyone to call me stupid.

Your stupid.

The players represent the team they play for, which represents the city the team is located in. The players play for the team they are on, not the country they're from (unless it's international hockey).

Great game btw. I had to root for Tampa for (1) I love to watch game 7s and (2) my bet against CWM. Hopefully game 7 goes to overtime.

Im not sure I can handle a 3rd overtime in a row.

Im sure any sport is happy when the series for the championship goes to game 7.

Yeah anyways this is where we talk about the NHL Playoffs not what time it is in Newfoundland so lets move on.

If you insist. We'll carry on this weighty matter here.

Two words: HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at my friends watching this and the game was simply incredible. Brad Richards comes through again and Khabby makes the save of the year in OT. Also major kudos to Dan Boyle, Pavel Kubina and Daryl Sydor, all of whom played incredible games. If I have the time on Monday I will definitely make the effort to go to the Forum Plaza.

Its a shame that such good players play for a team that has no real fanbase.

Tampa wins the Stanley Cup, Hockey is dead. Simple as that.

ya it would.

If Calgary doesn't win the series, I think the sport will suffer huge in Canada, and if Canada doesn't care about the product, on whats on the ice, who will?

Didn't really pay too much attention to the playoffs until I heard the SJ Sharks made it pretty far and then got edged out by Calgary, but this has been rather exciting.

The game tonight almost went on a little too long though.

Martin St. Louis - plucked off waivers from the Calgary Flames.

Brad Richards - drafted in the 3rd round.

Freddy Modin - traded from the Toronto Maple Leafs for (I believe) Cory Cross

Nikolai Khabibulin - acquired from a trade with Phoenix.

It's not Tampa's fault that teams with "real" fanbases didn't pick up on these guys. Those teams had their chance, but didn't take it.

Also, not a "real" fanbase? Honestly, Tampa has sucked ass more often than not in their first few years of existence. Is there any logical reason for Tampa Bay(or any place in the entire world) to give years of strong support to an expansion team that is terrible? Now, Tampa is one win away from the Stanley Cup. From what I have heard, the Lightning are pretty hot right now in Tampa. They're the talk of the town. By most estimates, should Tampa keep their core together, they will likely be a powerhouse in the Eastern conference for years to come.

Assuming Tampa stays successful, I can't see why they won't get fans to come to their arena regularly. It's not like Tampa Bay has too many powerhouse professional sports teams to compete with the Lightning. The Bucs are in the up and down parity filled NFL, plus, they will be finished in January at the latest. The D-Rays are stuck in a division with Boston and the Yankees and haven't shown that they can yet get out of last place. The Lightning will be the only game in town from January to about April or so.

Well, hockey's dead no matter wins with that lockout and all. Besides, if Canadians boycott hockey en masse because they can't win the Stanley Cup, then that's just sad. It's not like they don't have playoff teams. With a little luck and the right moves, there is no reason why Canadian teams can't get to the Stanley Cup. Heck, 5 of the 6 made it this year, with Edmonton just barely missing out. Ottawa and Toronto have both came really close to making the Stanley Cup finals in recent years. Calgary actually made it, and could still win it. Montreal, Vancouver, and Edmonton have all made noise in recent playoffs as well. They haven't won the Stanley Cup? Well, boo hoo, they can join every other team in NHL not from Colorado, Detroit, Dallas, or New Jersey who haven't won the Stanley Cup recently either.

I agree with Will. Canadians will never give up on hockey. It's the national sport, and will always have a huge fanbase here, regardless of what happens in the Finals. Does anyone honestly see Joe Canuck going "Oh, Tampa won the Cup? Time to give up hockey and follow Lacrosse". A few people might bitch and moan, and then whenever next season happens the Canadian fanbase will be right back where it is.

Martin St. Louis - plucked off waivers from the Calgary Flames.

Brad Richards - drafted in the 3rd round.

Freddy Modin - traded from the Toronto Maple Leafs for (I believe) Cory Cross

Nikolai Khabibulin - acquired from a trade with Phoenix.

It's not Tampa's fault that teams with "real" fanbases didn't pick up on these guys. Those teams had their chance, but didn't take it.

Also, not a "real" fanbase? Honestly, Tampa has sucked ass more often than not in their first few years of existence. Is there any logical reason for Tampa Bay(or any place in the entire world) to give years of strong support to an expansion team that is terrible? Now, Tampa is one win away from the Stanley Cup. From what I have heard, the Lightning are pretty hot right now in Tampa. They're the talk of the town. By most estimates, should Tampa keep their core together, they will likely be a powerhouse in the Eastern conference for years to come.

Assuming Tampa stays successful, I can't see why they won't get fans to come to their arena regularly. It's not like Tampa Bay has too many powerhouse professional sports teams to compete with the Lightning. The Bucs are in the up and down parity filled NFL, plus, they will be finished in January at the latest. The D-Rays are stuck in a division with Boston and the Yankees and haven't shown that they can yet get out of last place. The Lightning will be the only game in town from January to about April or so.

Well, hockey's dead no matter wins with that lockout and all. Besides, if Canadians boycott hockey en masse because they can't win the Stanley Cup, then that's just sad. It's not like they don't have playoff teams. With a little luck and the right moves, there is no reason why Canadian teams can't get to the Stanley Cup. Heck, 5 of the 6 made it this year, with Edmonton just barely missing out. Ottawa and Toronto have both came really close to making the Stanley Cup finals in recent years. Calgary actually made it, and could still win it. Montreal, Vancouver, and Edmonton have all made noise in recent playoffs as well. They haven't won the Stanley Cup? Well, boo hoo, they can join every other team in NHL not from Colorado, Detroit, Dallas, or New Jersey who haven't won the Stanley Cup recently either.

Great post Will, I'll also add that the team averaged 13-14,000 a game at the Forum during the lean years (save for 98-99) which is pretty damn good for as horrible as the team was.

Good game.

Too bad the wrong team won (puck had conclusively crossed the line), but I'm for a good game 7, since Tampa won, they'll lose on monday.