TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Amazing Rando

Best Simpsons Episode

Well, since I've never seen it on these boards (I didn't do a search or anything...but boohoo), I would like to ask everyone what you would list as your favorite episode or episodes of the series. I say 'episodes' because I have three.

Here we go...in no particular order...

1) Lisa's Wedding - this episode has been spouted as the "best", and I liked it well before I knew that. This particular piece does a wonderful job in showing a "future" of the Simpson's universe that has it's good background gags as well as keeping with some of the standards of the show (Maggie is explained by Homer as a blabbermouth, yet she never speaks in this episode.) Homer still shows that even as a dimwitted father, he is still a great father and willl try to do anything he can to please his daughter. It ends on a sweet note after falling into the pits of Lisa's bad wedding foretellings. Overall just a fantastic episode.

2) You Only Move Twice - I love this episode for many reasons. The James Bond references, SCORPIO~! (the man and the song), the Simpsons once again taken out of their known reality (you can say that for my first choice as well), and put into new situations. This episode features some of my favorite lines from the whole series (The entire Remedial class introduction, Scorpio showing Homer around the office, "when you go home you'll have a new story on your house", and "Oooooo...the Denver Broncos...they suck!". Just a fun little episode.

3) Behind The Laughter - once again pulling the Simpsons out of their realm and into a parody of VH1s Behind the Music, I love this episode more for the complete joking nature of it and complete breaking of continuity rather than it's subject matter. As the end of season 12(i believe) it stood out as a nice season finale and a way to leave the fans with something fun that, while it might not stand the test of time, still makes me laugh every time I watch it.

Honorable mentions go to "Summer of 4'2"", "Dead Putting Society", "Who Shot Mr. Burns 1 & 2", and the episode where the Simpsons wind up in the Disney knockoff (of course :))

1) Lisa's Wedding - this episode has been spouted as the "best",

What? I would kill anyone who said that. I am so against a gimmick episode being called the best.

My favorite is Cape Feare. Sideshow Bob shows were some of my favorites back then. I don't have much justification other than every gag worked for me. I was one who really liked the rakes.

When Bart gets the big brother, the soapbox derby and the the golf tournement are some of my favourites. I know i'm forgeting one I really like, but i'm sure it will come back to me

When Patty (or is it Selma?) marrys Troy McClure, pure gold

My two favorite eps. of all-time:

Blowfish - this was the episode where Homer ate the Japanese blowfish and was told he would die in a day. The scene towards the end where Marge finds Homer sitting in his couch and presumes he's dead and breaks into tears was one of the most heart warming scenes I've ever seen from the series.

Soul - Bart thinks his soul isn't worth anything and sells it to Millhouse. Soon after, Bart is miserable and is about to hit rock bottom until Lisa shows up and helps him out. The scene where Bart is begging God to help him out really touched me since I have been in that spot where he was. I consider myself an atheist but there have been a few times where I found myself asking the Big Man upstairs for some help and forgiveness so I was happy to see things work out for Bart at the end.

Some of my favorites are Homer vs. New York, Flaming Moes, and the one where Mr. Burns sells the plant to the Germans. There's probably a few I'm forgetting though.

Guest Fook

Marge vs the Monorail - From the Flintstones parody at the beginning to the monorail song to Homer's antics on the monorail. Just an all around classic.

Homer at the Bat - I still laugh at how much of a suck up Darryl Strawberry is in this. And how all the players suffer different tragedies. Mattingly, trim those sideburns!

Last Exit to Springfield - "Dental plan!" "Lisa needs braces."

Homer Bad Man.

The one with the gummi and sexual harrasment

"Homer, this is God...frey Jones"

"Homer sleeps in oxygen tank that he belives gives him SEXUAL POWERS" "Hey, thats the half truth!"

Guest I Got Banned for Sucking

Some of my favourites are:

Last Exit to Springfield

The PTA Disbands

Trilogy of Error

Lemon of Troy

Lisa's Wedding

You Only Move Twice

The Private War of Lisa Simpson

Rosebud

Radio Bart

Lisa the Greek

Tall Tales

Marge VS the Monorail

Homer at the Bat

When Flanders Failed

The City of New York VS Homer Simpson

Marge Be Not Proud

The Last Temptation of Krusty

This Little Wiggy

Girly Edition

Trash of the Titans

King of the Hill

Natural Born Kissers

Guest Nanks

Spring Break - This episode has so many different parts to it and it's just hilarious. From Homer Quiz Master, to when Homer flips out ("Why isn't my baby growing??" "Because it's made of plastic" "(trembling) I see"), to actual Spring Break and the Kid Rock concert, to the family hiding out at the diner and turning into hicks to them working the chain gang. It's just a ripper of an episode.

Marge v. the Monorail.

AND

The Otto Show, mostly for the:

"He called me a screw-up"

"No, Otto-man, he called you a sponge"

"A SPONGE" *kicks and punches wall* "I'LL SHOW HIM!!!"

Guest T®ITEC

Homer At The Bat - I just love the use of guest stars in this episode, esp. Griffey overdosing on nerve tonic. That always cracks me up.

Children Of A Lesser Clod is one of my favourite newer episodes. Has a line in it that I say out of context quite a bit... "I can't see through METAL, Kent." Arnie 4 life~

1) Lisa's Wedding - this episode has been spouted as the "best",

What? I would kill anyone who said that. I am so against a gimmick episode being called the best.

Sorry, but alot of people don't see it as a "gimmick" episode, but more of an episode that showcases Homer's feelings toward Lisa and Lisa's towards her father. She might call him a bumbling oaf or an idiot or any number of horrible things, but she still breaks off an engagment over a pair of cufflinks. It might be kind of silly, but it is sweet in it's own special way.

The same kind of thing happens in a few other episodes as well...

Lisa The Greek (the football betting episode)

Lisa's Pony

Bart On The Road (though it's more of a Homer/Lisa bonding substory)

as well as her constant idolism of him (usually refered to in the earlier episodes when Patty & Selma would put him down).

Am I debating the gimmick nature of it? No. It is a gimmick, but it's very nicely played.

On another note...

I love when the Simpsons gets really emotional, specifically the ending scene of the "Mother Simpson" episode, where Homer sits on the hood of his car and watches the stars for hours on end. It's one of those "awwwww..." moments.

Same goes for the end of the Blowfish episode, the jazz sendoff in "Round Springfield" after Bleeding Gums Murphy passes away, and numerous other places.

Marge vs. the Monorail, Dental Plan/Lisa Needs Braces, and above all, the Valentine's Day episode.

I've been living like Ralph Wiggum to some degree lately. A girl took pity on me, I thought she liked me, so then I liked her, got nice thigns for her, only to have her hurt my feelings. Then she gets cast as my wife in the school play. But although that little nugget of dramatic irony didn't transpire until recently, that episode's been a personal favorite since at least 1996.

Trilogy of Error

If this is the episode in which it takes place around Homer's Day, Lisa's Day, and Bart's Day...

then dammit...I forgot about that one and how much I love the premise (taken from Serena, Serena I do believe), and running with it to one of the best endings ever.

"Linguo...dead?"

"Lingo IS dead...."

Marge vs The Monorail

Easily my favorite and best episode. So many memorable lines, and scenes. The appearance by Nimoy is pure gold.

Bart-"For the first time ever I'm not ashamed to tell people what you do"

Homer-"Do you wanna change your name to Homer Jr. Than all the kids can call you HoJu".

My favorite episodes are Homer at The Bat, Marge vs The Monorail, and You Only Move Twice. My answer to Best Simpsons Episode would be one of these three.

Bart the Daredevil.

The whole episode is just great and the ending with Homer trying to jump the gorgue and the ambulance is pure goldage

Guest Man Of 1,004 Modes
My favorite episodes are Homer at The Bat, Marge vs The Monorail, and You Only Move Twice. My answer to Best Simpsons Episode would be one of these three.

I'd have to agree, Homer At The Bat is one of my favorites. I Guess I'm a mark for baseball and comedy in one.

B.B. mentioned the one where Homer attempts jumping the Gourge by accident...and crashes horribly. But on the DVD, they don't show is second fall...:(

I think a better thread would be "Which episodes sucked the most" since it's easier to remember bad ones than 50 really good ones.

Homer at the Bat and Marge vs. the Monorail are probably 2 of my favourites. Hungry Hungry Homer is one of the newer ones that I really like, too.

One thing I've noticed in the past few years is that they seem to have forgotten how to end episodes. The one where Lisa goes to the Spellympics, for example, has that scene with the mountain and then just ends. They used to end (most of the time, anyway) with you feeling good about yourself, and now (most of the time, again) they just leave you wondering what the hell's going on.

Flaming Moe's, from Aerosmith to the Cheers song parody which goes-

when the weight of the world

Has got you down

And you want to end your life

Bills to pay

A dead end job

And problems with the wife

But don't throw in the towel

Cause there's a place right down the block

Where you can drink you misery away

At Flaming Moe's (Let's all go to Flaming Moe's)

Where liquor in a mug, can fill you like a hug

And happiness is just a flaming Moe away

Happiness is just a flaming Moe away

And the line-

"Oh look at me Marge, I'm making people happy. I'm the magical man who lives in a gumdrop house on lollipop lane"

Exits room, beat, door opens

"Oh by the way I was being sarcastic"

"Well duh"

And the one where Marge is afraid to fly

"Pardon me gentleman, might I trouble you for a drink"

"Ahh get outta here Homer we know it's you"

"Homer? Who is Homer? My name is Guy Incognito"

Beat him up and throw him out

"Oh my God, this man is my exact double...that dog has a poofy tail. Hee hee hee here Puff, here Puff"

My favourite is Boy-Scoutz N the Hood from Season 5. So many good lines from that episode.

Bart: A real Swiss Army knife! Cool!

Homer: I stole it from that Borgnine guy.

[switch scenes to Ernest Borgnine confronting a bear]

Ernest: Don't worry, kids! I'll take care of him with my trusty...

...er, er, um, er, uh, hmm.

Trilogy of Error

If this is the episode in which it takes place around Homer's Day, Lisa's Day, and Bart's Day...

then dammit...I forgot about that one and how much I love the premise (taken from Serena, Serena I do believe), and running with it to one of the best endings ever.

"Linguo...dead?"

"Lingo IS dead...."

Isn't it a parody of Run Lola, Run? Thats one of the better episodes of the last few seasons.

Obviously the one with Grimey, whatever it was called.

Homer's Enemy.

featuring, among other great lines...

"I'm peeing on the seat. Give me a raise!"

EDIT: Oh fuck, i'm an idiot. I have NO IDEA where I got "Serena, Serena" from. *slaps forehead* ...what the fuck is wrong with me...

My favorites are:

Homer at The Bat

Marge vs The Monorail

You Only Move Twice

Homer vs. NYC

Homer's Enemy (the Frank Grimes episode)

Stark Raving Dad (the one with Jacko)

Flaming Moe's

Cape Feare

$pringfield

Boy Scoutz-N-the Hood

Hurricane Neddy ("I'm Dick Tracy and you're Prune Face." *slap* "I'm Prune Face, you're Dick Tracy!" *slap* "I'm Prune Tracy and you're Dick...*tape stops*")

Sorry, but alot of people don't see it as a "gimmick" episode, but more of an episode that showcases Homer's feelings toward Lisa and Lisa's towards her father. She might call him a bumbling oaf or an idiot or any number of horrible things, but she still breaks off an engagment over a pair of cufflinks. It might be kind of silly, but it is sweet in it's own special way.

The same kind of thing happens in a few other episodes as well...

Lisa The Greek (the football betting episode)

Lisa's Pony

Bart On The Road (though it's more of a Homer/Lisa bonding substory)

as well as her constant idolism of him (usually refered to in the earlier episodes when Patty & Selma would put him down).

Yeah, I do enjoy that dynamic between them, and that episode is ok, even though gimmicks are generally my least favorite. Lisa is my favorite character, and as a group I probably like Lisa episodes the best. I kinda have a crush on her, even though she's 8 years old... and doesn't look human... and is a cartoon.

On a related not, Lisa the Greek was a little too... harsh, I guess is the word. The one where Bart shoplifted had that feel too.