TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Open the Muggy Gate

Mordecai... offender of religion..

Guest El Satanico

What does the name Mordecai come from.

It sounds very familiar, but I can't place it.

Mordecai is like the most badass Biblical name ever. Isn't it traditionally used for Jewish people, though? If so, the idea of an orthodox Jew in the WWE is amusing, but how would he work Friday night house shows? If anything, he could challenge Jeff Jarrett for the title of "The Chosen One."

"C'mon Mordecai, let's get em" -The Jewish rednecks from "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein"

Anyone know where to get this promo for him? They didn't show it with Smackdown over here and I was only watching the show to see this!

Wow. That's a little unfair. Here it is for you:

sdpromo.mpg (9.04MB, 0:54)

They showed it on the late version. So if any Brits wanna set their videos for the even later 2am show, it'll be on that too.

It doesn't really matter because much like all the rest of the hosses from OVW, this guy can't wrestle a lick.

I'd rate Seven (who's Mordecai) below Matt Morgan but above Batista as far as ringwork goes. He is so bad that Cornette doesn't even regularly use him on TV!

It doesn't really matter because much like all the rest of the hosses from OVW, this guy can't wrestle a lick.

I'd rate Seven (who's Mordecai) below Matt Morgan but above Batista as far as ringwork goes. He is so bad that Cornette doesn't even regularly use him on TV!

Batista wasn't bad in OVW at all...

Guest Deviant

Thanks for the vignette. Not what I expected, but I hope he gets a few more because my interest will die as soon as he's in the ring.

What does the name Mordecai come from.

It sounds very familiar, but I can't place it.

Same here. I know its from a book I once read back in my high school English class. Probably Ivanhoe or something like that.

It's Biblical. It was the name of an Old Testament (Jewish) Prophet

http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/mordecai.html

Mordecai

the son of Jair, of the tribe of Benjamin

It has been alleged that he was carried into captivity with Jeconiah, and hence that he must have been at least one hundred and twenty-nine years old in the twelfth year of Ahasuerus (Xerxes). But the words of Esther do not necessarily lead to this conclusion. It was probably Kish of whom it is said (ver. 6) that he "had been carried away with the captivity."

He resided at Susa, the metropolis of Persia. He adopted his cousin Hadassah (Esther), an orphan child, whom he tenderly brought up as his own daughter. When she was brought into the king's harem and made queen in the room of the deposed queen Vashti, he was promoted to some office in the court of Ahasuerus, and was one of those who "sat in the king's gate" (Esther 2:21). While holding this office, he discovered a plot of the eunuchs to put the king to death, which, by his vigilance, was defeated. His services to the king in this matter were duly recorded in the royal chronicles.

Haman (q.v.) the Agagite had been raised to the highest position at court. Mordecai refused to bow down before him; and Haman, being stung to the quick by the conduct of Mordecai, resolved to accomplish his death in a wholesale destruction of the Jewish exiles throughout the Persian empire (Esther 3:8-15). Tidings of this cruel scheme soon reached the ears of Mordecai, who communicated with Queen Esther regarding it, and by her wise and bold intervention the scheme was frustrated. The Jews were delivered from destruction, Mordecai was raised to a high rank, and Haman was executed on the gallows he had by anticipation erected for Mordecai (6:2-7:10). In memory of the signal deliverance thus wrought for them, the Jews to this day celebrate the feast (9:26-32) of Purim (q.v.).

Guest Goodear

I was thinking it sounded like the chief evil kid from The Children of the Corn but that was Malachai.

Guest Dynamite Kido
I was thinking it sounded like the chief evil kid from The Children of the Corn but that was Malachai.

That's weird as shit, I was thinking the same damn thing.

Guest SP-1
C'mon folks, we had Steve Austin nailed onto the Undertaker's symbol.  Which is more of a disgrace as they replaced the cross, which is fairly sacred in my book, with a stupid wrestling symbol, and put Steve Austin in the place of Jesus.  now THAT is offensive.  Talking about religion happens every day.

Steve Austin's tough but he's not tough enough to be "nailed" to a cross..

So there was no nailing, no cross and no death.

Doesn't sound like anything like what Jesus went through.

Thank you.

It's your choice to be spiritual and religious, and it's your choice to believe what you read in the Bible and to pray to a guy who you believe exists in an alternate plane and chooses whether people have eternal happyness or live forever in flames and death and pain and suffering, etc.

If you choose to believe in that, you should have the skin when someone take it as seriously or belive in it as strongly as you do.

Close.

Incorrect theology.

But close.

Just to clarify.

As for Austin and the Taker Symbol: Simply because it wasn't the exact same thing doesn't make it right. The symbolism was intentional. What happened on the cross and who was up there is too big and too important to be equated with Steve Austin. The heart of what Vince was trying to get across was still there and still intentional and I wouldn't blame any true Christian for not liking it.

As for Austin and the Taker Symbol: Simply because it wasn't the exact same thing doesn't make it right. The symbolism was intentional. What happened on the cross and who was up there is too big and too important to be equated with Steve Austin. The heart of what Vince was trying to get across was still there and still intentional and I wouldn't blame any true Christian for not liking it

I know a lot of Christians, whether from school or church, that stopped watching wrestling because of Ministry Taker. It's incredibly hard to get them back into wrestling because of that

Guest netslob

actually i think it was Mornecai, with an "n" . i think alot of Amish people are named that.

Guest Jay Z. Hollywood

Mordechai is from the story of the origins of the Purim holiday in the Jewish religion.

Long story short: Mordechai refuses to bow down to Haman, this evil administrator dude, so Haman conviinces the king to do a mass genocide of the Jews. However, the king unknowingly married a Jewish chick named Esther (Mordechai's niece or sister, it's slipping my mind right now) who after initially being afraid, confessed her faith to the king. So the king hung Haman and Mordechai got to lead the slaughter of a shitload of people instead (relatives of Haman I believe).

Guest El Satanico

Well I doubt I was thinking of a Religous reference. I'm thinking a book or movie reference. Perhaps I was also thinking about Children of The Corn.

Yeah, that kid is ugly as hell.