TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Your teams biggest heartbreaking moment

Oh well Yankee fan, at least your team had won three in row before that heartbreak, so I am not going to shed too many tears. And your team is always going to be in contention. I guarantee that many fans of teams like the Cubs, Giants, Indians, and especially the Red Sox have suffered far more heartbreaking situations than the Yankees not winning four in a row.

seriously

The Mets making an improbable comeback to within 3 games in 2001, but Armando Benitez gives up a HR to Brian Jordan. A few days later, Benitez gives up a GS to guess who? Brian Jordan. Thankfully they have Braden Looper now (the guy hasn't given up a run this year)

Ah...don't even mention that....That also was after the Piazza 9/11 HR that brought everyone's hopes up for a Mets run at the division but Benetiz and Franco blew it. Brian Jordan is a MET Killer

Guest Anglesault
Oh well Yankee fan, at least your team had won three in row before that heartbreak,

Oh, I see the light now! I hope they lose the next twenty! After all, they won four between 96-2000!

Guest Crazy Dan

Hey man, I wish my favorite team could win one in a row, let alone three in a row. And for that matter, winning 4 out of five championships. And also having a winning history through the history of baseball. So, I have to make fun of the Yankees heartbreaks, only because it is funny to see Yankee fans lose it when their team doesn't happen to win it all, even when Steinbrenner brings in more and more talent.

And it is not like the Yankees themselves are the reason I hate this team. Joe Torre is a great manager, even though you could do something like this:

Torre when Mad = Same Expression

Torre when Happy = Same Expression

Torre when Sad = Same Expression, and so forth and so on. The man pretty much keeps the same expression.

And most of the players are pretty classy. Heck my biggest complaint about A-Rod that he signed for way too much money (but that anger is more at the Rangers for offering that ridiculous contract, and still being suprised that they had no more money for any other player. And then A-Rod saying he would restructure his contract to help bring in more talent, then changing his mind. And then whining his way onto the Yankees).

But players like Jeter, Williams, Giambi (who I still feel really does not fit in with the Yankees, and left a team that allowed him to be more of himself), and many other players I have no problems with. Well, I never liked Paul O'Niell, he always came off as a whiny, cry baby, but he retired. No my hatred of the Yankees comes from the owner, Steinbrenner, who I am sure did sell his soul to the Devil. I don't know, sometimes it is the owner that causes me to hate a team. Jerry Jones is the reason I can't stand the Cowboys, Steinbrenner is the reason I hate the Yankees.

Guest OraleHolmes

Probably seeing the Lakers get blown out in game 6 against the Spurs in the 2003 semifinals. I was really hoping the Lakers could 4-peat, and become the 1st team since the Celtics to do that; however, seeing the Lakers lose, and being forced to witness a barrage of three pointers by Stephen Jackson, Ginobli, Kerr and Ferry, in addition to a thunderous dunk by Kevin Willis, felt like I had been punched in the gut. I fought the impulse to cry, especially after seeing Kobe and D-Fish bawl their eyes out. This was an excruciatingly heartbreaking moment. Hell, even Jack Nicholson said it was "heartbreaking" in an on-court interview.

The second most heartbreaking moment would have to be Horry's in/out three pointer in Game 5 of 2003 Spurs-Lakers semifinals. I thought the Lakers would overcome a 25 point deficit for sure, and seeing Horry take that big shot only reaffirmed my belief that the shot would swish through the net just like it did in years past. When the shot rimmed out, I screamed, wriggled, and sat there in a state of listless shock. I involuntarily shook and nearly had a heart attack/panic attack.

Even though the Lakers are a lock to win 4 titles in 5 years, I wonder how MUCH MORE AWESOME it would be if the Lakers could win 5 in a row. Don't you guys think so?

Guest Vitamin X
EDIT: Why do people always somehow seem to use the term 'cheesehead' as an insult even though everyone should know by now it's not offensive to any Packer fan?

How about if we precede it with the term "stupid", "goddamn" or "motherfucking"?

See, now that would be a lot more effective. Yet you still can't base someone's intelligence, blasphemy, or promiscuity towards mothers based on what team they happen to cheer on.

Probably seeing the Lakers get blown out in game 6 against the Spurs in the 2003 semifinals. I was really hoping the Lakers could 4-peat, and become the 1st team since the Celtics to do that; however, seeing the Lakers lose, and being forced to witness a barrage of three pointers by Stephen Jackson, Ginobli, Kerr and Ferry, in addition to a thunderous dunk by Kevin Willis felt like I had been punched in the gut. I fought the impulse to cry, especially after seeing Kobe and D-Fish bawl their eyes out. This was an excruciatingly heartbreaking moment. Hell, even Jack Nicholson said it was "heartbreaking" in an on-court interview.

The second most heartbreaking moment would have to be Horry's in/out three pointer in Game 5 of 2003 Spurs-Lakers semifinals. I thought the Lakers would overcome a 25 point deficit for sure, and seeing Horry take that big shot only reaffirmed my belief that the shot would swish through the net just like it did in years past. When the shot rimmed out, I screamed, wriggled, and sat there in a state of listless shock. I involuntarily shook and nearly had a heart attack/panic attack.

Even though the Lakers are a lock to win 4 titles in 5 years, I wonder how MUCH MORE AWESOME it would be if the Lakers could win 5 in a row. Don't you guys think so?

You're still upset about that? I feel that this year's series, and the Derek Fisher 0.4 second shot in particular, was more than enough redemption for last year's in-and-out Robert Horry shot. Speaking of which, damn it must suck to be Horry now.

Guest OraleHolmes

Yeah, the Fish Swish was more than enough to redeem last year's debacle. I feel sorry for Robert Horry, whose magical powers in clutch situations waned once he left the purple n gold behind. He should know that his uncanny shot-making skills were confined to the mystical, divine Lakers colors. Suits him right though to be on an early vacation for the second consecutive year. Traitors never prosper. :headbang:

Bruins: Losing to Montreal in 1979 because of a too many men on the ice call. Such a bullshit call, such a bullshit way to lose the series.

And seeing Bobby Orr & Ray Bourque wearing Blackhawks & Avalanche sweaters, respectively. Some things just shouldn't have had to happen.

Do I even have to say it.

John Fucking Paxton getting a pass from Horace Fucking Grant and hitting a 3 fucking pointer to give the Chicago fucking bulls the one point lead with 5 fucking seconds left in game fucking 6 of the 19 fucking 93 finals over the Suns.

A part of me died that night.

In my lifetime:

(Back when I was a fan of the Pirates) Sid Bream scoring the winning run in Game 7 of the '92 NLCS. Pirates came back to within one out of winning a series they were first down three games to one only to lose like this...

funny how they make fun of yanks fans when we lose but the laker fans get different treatment. seems like it's ok to have a dynasty UNLESS YOU'RE A NY TEAM.

Buy hey I'm not gonna hate on anyone, I'll stick to the topic.

Hey I am 21 right now, I grew up in the 80s when the yanks sucked often, but I watched games on tv. really got into it in the early 90s when I started going to games and the summer of 93 (when the yanks competed for the al east and it was so hot outside the best thing to do was watch tv all day with the ac on full blast) I moved to ca in 94 not a few days before the strike that broke my heart (so I guess that counts)

95 was weird, as we didnt get full cable at the time, thus missing the first 3 or 4 games of the alds but I do rememeber listening on the radio late at night (well I was on the west coast so not so late for you still there) as leyritz won game 2 with a homer in extra innings. My dad was pumped for game 5 and so was I as we finally got to see a game. I'll never forget the feeling of that first heart break (but It wasn't so big as I had yet to see the yanks win a ws in my lifetime to that point) I remember the sad look on mattingly ( my fav yankee at the time)s face.

of course after the 96 ws I was dumb and thought the yanks woulda repeat despite taking only the wildcard. Game 4 , they bring in rivera in the 8th, I popped in a tape to record the ending of the game ( something I like to do) and then alomar goes and ruins it. I still hate him to this day. Game 5 is back in NY thankfully, but we fall behind. The yanks mount a comeback but fall short ( I remember a close play at the plate, but its been so long and I like to block bad memories sometimes)

after 98,99,00 I thought they would never lose. as weird as it sounds, the Yanks did keep my spirits up after 9/11. I mean to come back from 02 in the first round, then whip the best team in baseball at the time seattle, and the miracle games 4 and 5 at the stadium. Game 6 I got so mad cuz they got creamed, it was unbelievable (if pettite had matched johnson, I believe we would have pulled it off) game 7 was such a nail biter, I freaked when the dbacks had only a 1-0 lead, then tino ties it, but we leave a runner on. soriano comes up takes it out and I think its over, its mo time (maybe someone else shoulda pitched the eighth, but hey you live and die by your closer) the ninth comes and I pop in a tape again (damn I jinxed again, though I did the same thing for all their 4 previous titles so) my dad somehow had a bad feeling and I felt worse when mark grace singles to lead off. the next guy bunts and I yell throw to second and he does but it goes wild and jeter is seeming hurt by the runner sliding into 2nd. next batter ground to mo who throws out the guy going to third. cmon all we need is a dp. but it was not to be womack ties it up and my dad actually changes the channel then and there cuz he knows its over. I run upstairs in a panic my heart beating fast and having trouble keeping my composure (hey dont laugh) and by the time I turn it on I see arizona. Oddly enough I watched them receive their trophy in a sort of way of closure. My dad was obviously mad and so was my mom, as this travest occured on of all days their wedding annivesary.

after losing to the angels in 02 and nearly blowing a gaket (after all I live now in southern cal where a bunch of front running ny haters had their fun) , I kinda accepted that they dont have to win all the time and I can accept it, even after aaron boone and going ahead in the ws and somehow blowing it I got over it (as compared to 01 when I was depressed for weeks-replaying that over and over in my head)

the only other thing to comapre to this was giants-niners jan 03 wildcard game enough said

needless to say I was less then thrilled at the ending, especially when our false hopes of a interference penalty is lost ( and btw how do you blow a snap that badly?)

of course I was mad when the knicks lost but I'm not much of a basketball fan, but I was mad when the lakers swept the nets

the only thing in hockey that comes close was the devils losing game 7 to colorado in 01

well I hope you can all see that there are true yankee and ny fans out there and it does affect us. and btw If I told you your team could win for like 3 years in a row you'd be happy dont even try to lie, it's cool

Do I even have to say it.

John Fucking Paxton getting a pass from Horace Fucking Grant and hitting a 3 fucking pointer to give the Chicago fucking bulls the one point lead with 5 fucking seconds left in game fucking 6 of the 19 fucking 93 finals over the Suns.

A part of me died that night.

Bulls three-peat that year...on my birthday as well. ;)

Oh...and John Paxson was not Bucky Fucking Dent...he was actually a damned good clutch player his entire career. He pretty much defeated the Lakers himself in Game 5 of the 91 finals. He was like 10-12.

But yeah, fuck Horace Grant. :)

My heartbreaks....

I missed Game 6 of the NLCS last year, and blame the people I was with that night for the Cubs losing..bad karma. But Game 7 tore my heart to tatters...to very rags. The last six outs were just so depressing....me watching the game from a distance, pacing back and forth...

Chicago hasn't really had that many pure heartbreaking moments that last twenty or so years...outside of the Cubs finding ways to lose.. Every team other than the Bulls pretty much sucked for the majority of the time...just a lot of dismal seasons.

I think that for the Sixers as a franchise the biggest heartbreak would've been losing the 77 finals to Portland after winning the first two games. I wasn't born quite yet for that, so my personnal biggest heartbreak for them was probably game 2 of the Finals against the Lakers where the Sixers killed themselves at the end by bricking a ton of free throws. If they could've won that one, it might have been a different series.

Phillies - Joe Carter, nuff said. Still painful.

Eagles - Take your pick. Any of the last 3 years, but the last two in particular.

Flyers - Blowing the 3-1 lead against the Devils ranks above all the other disasters, magnified by the fact that it was against the Devils.

funny how they make fun of yanks fans when we lose but the laker fans get different treatment. seems like it's ok to have a dynasty UNLESS YOU'RE A NY TEAM.

No, I think that the Lakers are pretty hated on, too. Maybe you don't see it as much because you're still in that area, but I think most of the rest of the nation roots as strongly against the Lakers as they do the Yankees.

Guest Redhawk

Pacers -- Game 7, 1998 Eastern Conference Finals. Losing to the Knicks all those times was bad, but I felt redeemed after Pat Ewing's 1-foot fingeroll miss. But 1998...damn, we HAD the Bulls. And had we won that series, we would have beat the Jazz in the Finals. In 2000 I knew we wouldn't beat the Lakers, so it wasn't so bad.

Sonics -- 1996 wasn't heartbreaking at all; everyone knew good and goddamn well the Bulls were gonna kick our ass. I'm just glad we didn't get swept. No, for the Sonics it had to be either 1994 (Nuggets, 1st round, 8-seed vs. 1-seed), 1995 (Lakers, first round, same thing pretty much) or losing to the Suns in the 1993 Western Conference Finals.

Browns -- Of course there's the Elway Trio: the Drive, the Fumble and the Overall Ass-Kicking of 1990. But of games I actually remember seeing, I'd say the 2003 playoffs against Pittsburgh. Only the Browns can be up by, what, 17 in the 4th quarter and not feel safe.

G'Town -- You know, I can't remember the Hoyas ever really breaking my heart. I mean, anytime you get knocked out of the Tourney it sucks, but it's not like I thought any of the post-Mourning teams had a shot of winning the title anyway. Ray Allen's last-second shot in the Big East tournament title game wasn't a fond memory. Maybe the overall suck-ass-ness of this past season could qualify as heart-breaking, or the general decline of the program since Thompson (or really, Iverson) left.

Mike Tyson -- Watching Lennox pick him apart was sad. After the fight I had to go take a walk and think about some things.

Third Place: San Francisco 49ers coach (forget who it was at the time, I was young) does not put Joe Montana into play during '93 Super Bowl, even though Montana was in his uniform and just about begging to go out there and pull off his usual miracles. 49ers lose the championship.

Second Place: Not suprisingly after said Super Bowl, Joe Montana leaves San Francisco for... Kansas City? What the...

First Place: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs. Even the commercials on Channel 2 hyping the game showed some fan unable to decide between Steve Young and Joe Montana. 49ers fans want this to be the moment that proves they really don't need Montana, perhaps retribution for his departure.

Of course, Chiefs win.

Guest Vitamin X
Third Place: San Francisco 49ers coach (forget who it was at the time, I was young) does not put Joe Montana into play during '93 Super Bowl, even though Montana was in his uniform and just about begging to go out there and pull off his usual miracles. 49ers lose the championship.

the...

The 49ers are 5-0 in Super Bowls, and they didn't even play in the 93 Super Bowl, that was the Dallas-Buffalo game. The `94 game (played by the 93 teams) was Dallas-Buffalo rematched, that came out the same and the 94 Niners were the ones that reached the championship played in 1995 against San Diego. The Niners won tha game, it was a blowout from what I remember too. So I don't know what the hell you're thinking of.

Oh and by the way the coach was George Seifert.

Second Place: Not suprisingly after said Super Bowl, Joe Montana leaves San Francisco for... Kansas City? What

He wasn't going to be a starter. That was exactly like the Bulger-Warner situation last year, except I don't think either of them can even compare to Young or Montana, except for Warner's MVPs maybe.

First Place: San Francisco 49ers vs Kansas City Chiefs. Even the commercials on Channel 2 hyping the game showed some fan unable to decide between Steve Young and Joe Montana. 49ers fans want this to be the moment that proves they really don't need Montana, perhaps retribution for his departure.

Of course, Chiefs win.

It was a regular season game. The Packers lost to Holmgren's Seahawks in his first year at Lambeau, yet who has come out the better team through it all?

You're really bitter about Joe Montana aren't you?

the...

The 49ers are 5-0 in Super Bowls, and they didn't even play in the 93 Super Bowl, that was the Dallas-Buffalo game. The `94 game (played by the 93 teams) was Dallas-Buffalo rematched, that came out the same and the 94 Niners were the ones that reached the championship played in 1995 against San Diego. The Niners won tha game, it was a blowout from what I remember too. So I don't know what the hell you're thinking of.

Oh and by the way the coach was George Seifert.

I think he might have been talking about the '93 NFC championship game, which they lost to Dallas (the first of three straight Dallas-SF NFC title games), though Montana didn't play, I do remember it since it was his last game with the 49ers

DAMN YOU FISHER! For getting all of those offensive fouls on the guards of the Spurs and making that final shot with 0.4 seconds left.

Of course, Chiefs win.

Who cares? The 49ers won the Super Bowl that year.

The biggest heartbreaking moment by far for the 49ers was the '90/'91 NFC Championship Game against the Giants. Montana having his hand broken late in the game and Roger Craig fumbling to lead to the winning field goal for the Giants to prevent the 49ers from attempting to win a 3rd straight Super Bowl.

That's one of the big "what if?" scenerios. What if Craig doesn't fumble and the 49ers have to take on the Bills with Steve Young at qb? Young wasn't as good as he would be a couple of years later and that was probably the best Bills team of their four Super Bowl apperances.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't recall Phil Simms having a cannon for an arm either, and Young certainly proved to be much better than Simms, so the outcome may have been the same, possibly worse for the Bills.

Though you prove a good point.

DAMN YOU FISHER! For getting all of those offensive fouls on the guards of the Spurs and making that final shot with 0.4 seconds left.

Wah wah wah

I don't recall Phil Simms having a cannon for an arm either, and Young certainly proved to be much better than Simms, so the outcome may have been the same, possibly worse for the Bills.

Phil Simms didn't play in SB XXV. Jeff Hostetler did.

Simms was injured. Jeff Hostetler started for the Giants in the '90 postseason.

How would those 49ers have fared? I don't think they would have made it 3-in-a-row

Buffalo had run over opponents for most of the season with the then revolutionary No-Huddle Offense, and their defense was tremendous. If SF just played their standard game, with a relatively green Young at the helm, I predict a Buffalo blowout.

Key to the Giants win was the ball control offense, i.e. giving the ball to OJ II and having him eat up the clock, keeping the NHO off the field and wearing down the Buffalo defense. I don't think SF would have thought to use such a strategy against Buffalo.

The biggest heartbreaking moment by far for the 49ers was the '90/'91 NFC Championship Game against the Giants. Montana having his hand broken late in the game and Roger Craig fumbling to lead to the winning field goal for the Giants to prevent the 49ers from attempting to win a 3rd straight Super Bowl.

That is one of, if not my earliest football memory.

And that was heartbreaking, too.

Some other heartbreaking moments. For me, anyways.

- 49ers vs Rams (December 9th, 2001) the 49ers go out, and simply get their asses kicked. Just heartbreaking to watch.

- 49ers vs Buccanneers (2002 NFC Divisional Playoffs) This one is self-explanatory. Watching the 49ers be crushed 31-6 really tore my heart out that day.

- 49ers vs Rams (Week 2, 2003 season) Cedrick Wilson blows it by trying to be the hero in the final seconds of regulation as opposed to getting down and giving the 49ers a chance to call a timeout and set themselves up to kick the GW-Field Goal.

- 49ers vs Cowboys (I believe this was 1996 or 1997?) The 49ers lose a close game to Dallas at home. IIRC, the score was 20-17

- 49ers vs Packers (MNF 1995?) The 49ers take a 17-6 lead, and end up squandering the game later on. IIRC, the Packers won this in OT.

- 49ers vs Eagles (Regular season 1994?) 40-8, 'nuff said.

- 49ers vs Eagles (MNF 2002) the 49ers get taken to task by an Eagles team who had lost Donovan McNabb to a broken-leg the week before.

- 49ers vs Vikings (Week 4 2003) The 49ers come out and play like absolute shit and get blown out 34-7 (might be wrong on this score)

- 49ers vs Ravens (Week 12 2003) 44-6, nuff said. Just plain horrible on the 49ers part. They were in it for a while, but then got blown-out in the 2nd-half.

- 49ers vs Cardinals (Week 8 2003) The 49ers lost to the fucking Cardinals in OT.

- 49ers vs Browns (Week 3 2003) The 49ers give up 12 4th-quarter points in and end up losing to the Browns in a horribly played game.

- 49ers vs Cowboys (Week 15 2001) The 49ers are beaten by a team that ended up finishing 5-11.

Saints-

After the stunning River City Relay, John Carney misses the extra point attempt.

Of course it shouldn't have come down to having to pull off something like that.

There's a commercial here locally now with them doing that play in a grocery store trying to get a loaf of bread to this woman.

Guest Salacious Crumb

Browns: John Elway, the Pittsburgh playoff game last year, Modell stealing the team away for half of the 90s, Testaverde getting the nod over Kozar.

Guest Vitamin X

You know, reading through that list of 49ers' "Heartbreaking" moments made me realize that Green Bay has only been truly blown out 2-3 times in the Brett Favre era (Once against the Dallas Cowboys in 94-96, I forget which year but it was like the job leading up to the Packers SB Appearance, the Randy Moss coming-out party at Lambeau in 98, and the Rams blowout where Brett threw 7 interceptions two of which were returned for touchdowns. New England winning the Super Bowl was so bittersweet then. ).

I also don't think that heartbreaking moments in the early or mid-season can really count as "heartbreaking" either since most have no playoff implications, though when you think about it just about every game played nowadays in the NFL has playoff implications when going 10-6 isn't even good enough to get you into the playoffs.

Simms was injured. Jeff Hostetler started for the Giants in the '90 postseason.

Even worse! And surely Seifert would have come up with a way to beat the Bills in the game.

Makes me wonder if a Super Bowl threepeat is ever going to happen. I kind of hope it doesn't I love the constant insanity that is the playoffs nowadays.

IMO, doesn't matter what period during the season they are. If they're heartbreakers, they're heartbreakers. All of them should count, unless it's preseason.

Anyway, I have some more.

- 49ers vs Rams (MNF Week 17 2002 season) This is the game where Jeff Garcia gets pulled after one series, and Terrell Owens sits out because of an injury. The 49ers open up a good-sized lead on the Rams, and then somehow manage to blow that lead in the 2nd half, and end up losing to the Rams by 11.

- 49ers vs Packers (2001 Playoffs) The 49ers first postseason appearance since 1998. The 49ers end up blowing any chance of winning late in the game because of a freak-interception thrown by Jeff Garcia.

- 49ers vs Falcons (1998 Playoffs) The 49ers lose Garrison Hearst early in the game to a severe leg injury, and end up losing the game by a close margin.

- 49ers vs Jaguars (Week 1 1999 season) The 49ers simply get blown-out in Jacksonville by a score of 41-3.

- 49ers vs Buccaneers (Week 1 1997 season) The 49ers lose Jerry Rice to a knee-injury and lose to the Bucs 13-6

- 49ers vs Packers (1996 Divisional Playoffs) The 49ers travel to Lambeau and get beaten badly.

- 49ers vs Packers (1997 NFC Championship game) The 49ers lose to the Packers by 13 at home. This is the closest the 49ers have gotten to the Super Bowl since last winning it all in 1994. In fact, this is the 49ers last NFC Championship game appearance.

The 49ers are 5-0 in Super Bowls, and they didn't even play in the 93 Super Bowl, that was the Dallas-Buffalo game.

Shit. I guess the game I'm thinking of wasn't even the Bowl. Was it a playoff? I guess it it was. It was really obvious though that Montana wanted to go out and the Coach wouldn't let him. He left shortly thereafter. Post at 3 in the morning (and this post is being made at 4) bouncing between caffeine buzzes and the need to sleep, let's see how well you remember who played in what game. ;)

You're really bitter about Joe Montana aren't you?

You needed to be living in the Bay Area at the time to understand. It was earth-shattering news at the time. Even one of the news reporters were grumbling out stuff like "If anyone from Kansas City is watching tonight, we don't hate you here in [downtown, wherever] San Francisco, it's just that you have Joe Montana, and we don't."