TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Your teams biggest heartbreaking moment

Stolen from Page 2.

Minnesota Twins-Page 2 said the offer by Pohlad to contract the team. Off the field that wins. On the field is a little tougher.

The collapse of 2001.

Still in the contention in September of 1984, the young Twins blow a 9-0 lead over the Indians. Ron Davis in all his glory does what he does allowing the winning runs in.

Falling short in 1967.

Games 4 and 5 of the 2002 ALCS.

Houston

Nolan Ryan unable to hold a 5-2 8th inning lead in Game 5 over the Phillies at the Astrodome.

The 16 inning loss to the Mets in Game 6 of the NLCS.

The extra inning loss to the Braves in Game 3 of the 1999 NLDS.

Guest Crazy Dan

This one is an easy one: Game 6 of the World Series between the Giants and Angels. Russ Ortiz is pitching the best game of the whole Series. The Giants have a 5-0 lead into the seventh. I am getting very excited, since how often does your favorite team have the opportunity to win it all. And then the collapse happened. Ortiz begins to struggle, Dusty panics, and Erstad hits a three run home run. The Angels come back to win the game. And at that exact moment, I knew that the Angels were going to win. And worse, I really do think that Dusty should have gone with Reuter in Game 7, as his 3-1 lifetime mark against the Angels, and the fact that Reuter's style of pitching was better suited to baffling the Angels. Instead Dusty goes with Livian, and unfortunately it is not the Livian of 1997. He gives up enough runs for the Angels to win the game. And as Reuter showed me, once he was brought in to stop the bleeding, the Angels did not score again, but they scored enough to take the Series and break my heart along with every other Giant's fan as well. This hurts the most, out of all the Giant failures which includes:

Soloman Torres getting shelled by the Dodgers, the Giants don't make the playoffs, despite winning 103 games in 1993, and getting the tie breaker game against Atlanta with their Ace slated to go in that game. Also, the Giants owned the Phillies that year, so they would have had a great chance of making the Series.

In Game 7 of the 1987 League Championships against the Cardinals, the Giants start Atlee Hammaker, who just happened to have a 1-11 record on the road, and strange enough, the Giants lose 11-0. One of those times I cried because the Cardinals were going to the Series. And the fact the Giants blew a 3-2 lead.

In 1997, the Giants are picked to finish dead last by many publications. They instead end up winning the West in a thrilling race with the Dodgers. And when I am thinking they have a chance, they get swept by the Marlins.

In 2000, the Giants open Pac Bell, have 4 pitchers with 10 or more wins. They finish with the best record in baseball. And I am thinking World Series, and then with an akward slide by Estes in Game 2 of the Divisional Series, the Mets go on to win 3 straight. And boy did Dusty make some boneheaded calls in that series.

And last but not least, how about last year. The Giants are never out of first place all year. They finally have the dominant starter they have sorely lacked (Schmidt). Bonds has an amazing season. And with the pick up of Ponson, the Giants look like they might have a great one-two punch. And well, Cruz drops an easy fly ball in the Divisional playoffs, which allows the Marlins back into it and the Marlins go on to win the Series.

For the Warriors, how about trading Webber, and then firing Don Nelson. This is only heartbreaking because the Warriors appeared to be building a very solid play off contender year in and year out. The Warriors should never have gotten rid of Webber, but worse, they also get rid of Nelson as well. Nelson will not win you championships, but at least his teams make the playoffs. With this mishandling, the Warriors have the longest playoff drought in the league.

For the Niners - The Niners are looking like they might be able to three peat. In the Confrence Finals against the Giants in 1990, first Montana gets smeared on a legal hit, giving him a concussion and broken wrist, he is done. Fortunately the Niners have Steve Young as the backup and he does a remarkable job filling in. The Niners look like they are in control, when Roger Craig fumbles the ball away.

Then the Niners fall for a fake punt, when I thought it was obvious that is what was going to be attempted. This keeps the Giants drive alive, and the Giants kick a last second field goal to win the game and they go on to beat the Bills.

For the A's - 88 Series, the A's have the best team in baseball. The Dodgers look very overmatched. Game 1 - the A's are in firm control. Eckersley gets two out, but the Dodgers have the winning run come to the plate. Walking wounded Kirk Gibson hobbles out. Eckersley proceeds to throw every pitch down the middle. And finally Kirk hits one of the Greatest home runs in Series history. The A's don't recover from this, and the Dodgers win the Series.

As for other A's hearbreaks - Losing to the Reds in 4 straight games in the 90 series. Jeremy Giambi does not slide. Not being able to get out of the first round, even with one of the best pitching staffs in baseball the last 5 years. The A's let go two MVP's do to financial weakness.

There are many others, but these are the most heartbreaking to me.

Portland Trail Blazers - Giving up 14 point lead to LA in the 4th quarter of game 7 ofe Western Conference Championships... and thus, a championship.

Red Sox in my lifetime:

Aaron fucking Boone.

NHL:

See sig about this past playoffs, with quite possibly the best Senators team in history.

Phillies- I know about 1964, but I wasn't alive for that. All I will say is, there is a place in hell waiting for Joe Carter, and for Jim Fregosi for putting a fatigued Williams in.

Eagles- 2003 NFC Championship game. They had pretty much owned the Bucs before this game, and the Bucs' breakthrough came at the worst time.

Flyers- Blowing a 3-1 lead against the Devils in the 2000 ECF, the most signficant moment being Scott Stevens giving Eric Lindros concussion #4295.

Sixers- Hmm. I would probably have to say getting absolutely killed by the Celtics in Game 5 of the first round back in 2000.

St. Louis Cardnials - In my lifetime, I would have to go with having a 3-1 series lead against the Braves in the 1996 NLCS, only to get blown out in Games 5,6,7.

I suppose the 85 & 87 World Series should probably get votes too.

Cincinnati Bengals - Joe Montana to John Taylor, with an honrable mention to last season's finale against the Browns, not a way to finish a storybook turnaround.

Utah Jazz - MJ creating space on Bryon Russell to win the NBA title. To me it is just as heartbreaking the years after that knowing that Stockton would not get any closer than that.

St. Louis Blues - Stevie Y from the blue line. From 0-0 to over in an instant.

Guest MikeSC

Can anybody compete with "Wide Right" at SB XXV? *cries*

Also, Lonnie Smith completely screwing up on the base paths in Game 7 of the 1991 WS, costing the Braves a shot at winning the title.

-=Mike

Minnesota Vikings - '98 season, 15-1, Gary Anderson wide left, poor clock management, bye bye Super Bowl appearance

2nd place - Last game of the '03 season

Boston Red Sox - tie: Game 6 '86, Arron fucking Boone

Cincinnati Reds - on-field: '99 one-game playoff vs. Mets

off-field: Pete Rose scandal

Kansas State Football - losing to Texas A&M in '98 Big 12 champ game on bogus TD call

2nd place - Just about any bowl selection day

Michigan basketball - on-court: Webber's time-out call

off-court: Donor scandal that would have negated that championship if they had won

Guest Vitamin X

Are you honestly going to tell me as a true Packer fan that THAT was a heartbreaking moment? Come on!

The 1998 NFC Wildcard game was way worse. We had pretty much owned the Niners the whole game, they came back, Favre put it back up, and then out of nowhere when the clock ran down, T.O. makes the catch out of nowhere and that ended Mike Holmgren's and Reggie White's time in Green Bay, thus signalling the end of an era.

But yes SuperBowl XXXII was the only professional sports game that had ever made me cry in anger. That was truly heartbreaking.

And how about the Falcons marching in to Lambeau, the year the Packers probably had their best season in the Sherman era thus far, and compeltely fuck it up? Granted, we all should have seen it coming because we fucked up homefield advantage by getting raped by the Jets 45-17 and squeaking past the lowly Bills 10-0 the 2 weeks prior to it, but for fuck's sake it was the only home game and it forever tarnished the legacy of the Frozen Tundra.

Fuck Michael Vick, Fuck T.O., and Fuck Elway.

And how about the Falcons marching in to Lambeau, the year the Packers probably had their best season in the Sherman era thus far, and compeltely fuck it up? Granted, we all should have seen it coming because we fucked up homefield advantage by getting raped by the Jets 45-17 and squeaking past the lowly Bills 10-0 the 2 weeks prior to it, but for fuck's sake it was the only home game and it forever tarnished the legacy of the Frozen Tundra.

What a great game.

Windy City Heartbreakers:

Eagles shoot down the shocking 2001 Bears in the divisionals and close out Soldier Field with a whimper. Meanwhile the Rams beat the Packers, and just think: A Chicago-Green Bay NFC Championship. The things that could've been. Instead, the Bears moved to Champaign-Urbana for a year, sucked, came back home, and "home" was evidently abducted by aliens whilst the Bears were at U of I.

The Jerrys dismantle the 6-time championship-winning Chicago Bulls, as Chicago loses Jordan, Jackson, Pippen, and Rodman in one fell swoop.

Bill Wirtz's ownership of the Chicago Blackhawks. 'Nuff said. The Hawks haven't really had any moment of heartbreak, it's just been an ongoing dismal run, one that for all intents and purposes, is completely hopeless.

Demolishing the Chicago Stadium certainly didn't elicit joy in the hearts of Chicago athletes or fans. I mean, it made Michael Jordan retire the first time, along with his dad's murder. (Gambling? Huh? No. Stadium and dad.) Honorable mention to the south siders who saw the old Comiskey Park (actually looked like a cool park) get replaced with the new Comiskey, which was then corporate-named in '03. That had to hurt.

Well then. Bears, Bulls, Sox, Hawks, I think that basically covers all the heartbreaking moments for Chicago. Thanks for reading.

Oh?

Yes. I knew I forgot SOMETHING. But what's left to say?

Guest Vitamin X

They probably would have lost in the next round to the Eagles or Bucs anyways.

I'm glad Vick broke his leg the offseason after. And they ended up 5-11, thus making it a total fluke.

Guest Anglesault

Seattle in 95, Arizona in 01 and 84 (I think) where were like the second best team in baseball, but still second place.

1997 Western Conference Playoffs: John Stockton nails a 3 point to beat the Rockets at the last second sending the Jazz to the finals

After that shot, I literally sat still staring at the TV with my jaw open for 30 minutes.

Guest Vitamin X
Windy City Heartbreakers:

Eagles shoot down the shocking 2001 Bears in the divisionals and close out Soldier Field with a whimper. Meanwhile the Rams beat the Packers, and just think: A Chicago-Green Bay NFC Championship. The things that could've been. Instead, the Bears moved to Champaign-Urbana for a year, sucked, came back home, and "home" was evidently abducted by aliens whilst the Bears were at U of I.

What a great game. And season.

Oh, and the Pack would still have shut down the Bears in the NFC Championship should they have happened to somehow beat St Louis, and Bears squeak by Philadelphia. When's the last time Chicago beat Green Bay when it actually meant something?

Cleveland Indians:

Julian Tavarez blows a lead in the 7th game of the 1997 World Series, which eventually allows the Florida Marlins to win their first title... then start dismantling the roster about 30 seconds later.

Pacers, 1994 East Finals: We had a 3-2 lead on the Knicks, but lost on our home floor. Then in game 7, the following happened in the FINAL MINUTE:

Ewing fouls Dale Davis on his lead-taking dunk, which would have been his 6th, no call.

Ewing (who should have been fouled out) tips in Starks' miss - clearly basket interference - no call.

Reggie goes for the intentional foul on Starks to send him to the line, and it gets called a flagrant, putting it out of reach for good and putting those pesky small-marketers in their place.

Colts: 1996 (?) AFC Final vs Pittsburgh, a Pittsburgh player is clearly out of bounds on a touchdown call in the first half. That play was the reason instant replay was instituted. We ended up losing by 3 or 4.

Guest OctoberBlood

Biggest? Eh, I don't know. But in recent memory. The end of the 1999 season. *explodes*

Guest Crazy Dan
Cleveland Indians:

Julian Tavarez blows a lead in the 7th game of the 1997 World Series, which eventually allows the Florida Marlins to win their first title... then start dismantling the roster about 30 seconds later.

I think you are thinking of Jose Meza. Tevarez was on the Giants at the time. Meza has a history of blowing big games. That is definately a heartbreaker, one, the Indian fans have suffered for so long, and two, everyone knew the Marlins were going to be disbanded. So the fans who basically only came out for the World Series, get to celebrate a championship, and then completely forget there is a team in Florida until 2003. Life can be so unfair sometimes.

Biggest? Eh, I don't know. But in recent memory. The end of the 1999 season. *explodes*

I remember that shit, it was like the Reds were just finding new ways to blow games at the end of the season.

for me:

The Entire 1996 NHL Western Conference Finals, Detroit had the best regular season team record-wise ever, and chokes in the playoffs for the 4th straight season

last year's Michigan football season

losing the Oregon and Iowa games equally broke my heart just because we were better than both teams and poor coaching just cost us both games. Hell take those two losses away, we are undefeated and probably ranked number one playing USC/OU/LSU in the Sugar Bowl.

Baltimore Orioles - two words, one name : Jeffrey Meier

I hate that damn kid. That was the first time I wanted to actually kill someone, damn little brat. Course, Armando Bentiez unable to figure out how to throw a breaking ball without it landing in the stands vs the Indians also springs to mind.

As for the Cubs, I don't even need to stay. Not the guy, but that whole damn inning. We shall never speak of it again!

The Patriots...well Desmond Howard. Pats FINALLY get the Packers on the ropes and Howard slams the door. Oh well, that is well forgotten now though.

1997 Western Conference Playoffs: John Stockton nails a 3 point to beat the Rockets at the last second sending the Jazz to the finals

After that shot, I literally sat still staring at the TV with my jaw open for 30 minutes.

I was on the opposite side of that :D

Minnesota Vikings - '98 season, 15-1, Gary Anderson wide left, poor clock management, bye bye Super Bowl appearance

I remember that.

MN Vikings 2003 - Losing to the FUCKING CARDINALS and thus leaving us out of the Playoffs.

Celtics- 2002 Playoffs. C's had just completed the biggest 4th quarter comeback in NBA history, only to lose the next 2 games to the Nets to end the series.

Of course, if this includes off the court heartbreaks, the deaths of Len Bias and Reggie Lewis come to mind. And Donna Lewis' endless nonsense with the courts.

Bruins- How about this year? Up 3-1 to the Habs? Just won game 4 in OT? 2 of the next 3 games are in the Fleet? Series looks locked up, right? Right? Wrong. Habs storm back and win the next 3.

Also, seeing Bourquie in the Avs sweater was a bummer.

Patriots- the 1999 season. Halfway thru the season, they have a 6-2 record and just manhandled the Cardinals. All is right in the world with an easy second half schedule. But of course they fall apart losing 6 of 8 to finish at .500. Carroll loses his job, Bill Bellichick resigns his HC of the NYJ gig and the rest is history...

Red Sox- I dunno, I can't think of any times the Red Sox broke my heart. They don't do stuff like that, do they?