TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyboy

ESPN NFL 2K5 Thread

Guest MikeSC

Maybe it's just me --- but I have NEVER seen a challenge actually go AGAINST the challenger. The play is ALWAYS overturned. Every...single...time.

Other than that, it's damned solid.

-=Mike

I think I've finally figured out why I suck at running: I'm not using the right stick to juke and stutter step. I did a scrimmage to try and improve my running game, and that seems to make a HUGE difference in getting through the line and into the backfield. I guess I was just too dumb to notice it.

I've had calls stand Mike, so it must be you. The refs in your game must just be bad.

Guest Dumb Fuck

Challenges are usually always correct...

Unlike Madden '04, which would screw you over with challenges nearly every time.

Guest TheArchiteck

Well I finally received this game. And once again i'm awe strucked.

Being an AVID 2k4 player, I couldn't wait to dive in. The whole menu system changed and it looks damn good.

So I jumped in and picked my favorite Lions team, with the hot new offense. I went against the Bears, whom I loathe as a Lions fan. I will never forget that game on Christmas eve where the Lions just needed to win that game to advance to the playoffs; we lost. And THAT started the spiral of us absolutely sucking. The next season we just won 2 games. 10 games total for the past 3 seasons and no road game victories.

Well, I took them on and instantly was greeted by a cyber Berman. Sweet. I was just expecting the basic voice layover again.

The game started with cutscenes with the fans getting to their seats. The camera then pans down to catch a glimpse of the stadium and a key player on the bench. This game looks absolutely beautiful. The details in the jerseys is amazing. The way the characters "move" is just freaky realistic compared to the last game. Before kick off, I checked out the depth chart (which looks GREAT, although confused me for a little bit) and then the defensive matchup (which wasn't changed).

Now, I lost the coin toss so I started on defense. I see the Bears get into a run formation and tried to lower my LB's by hitting the right stick up and the white button. Didn't do a thing.

So i'm scratching my head. I then tried to hit the left/right trigger to check out my play and the names of the onfield players and the damn LB Shift appears. So that caught me off guard and they ran for 8 yards.

I'm puzzled because the layout I used in close to 200 games in 2k4 has changed!

I checked out the button layout and noticed it has indeed changed. It took me a little while to gain full control again.

Well, when picking my play a little pop-up screen shows what happened in the last play, I LOVE that idea. Its the smallest things ya know?

Well, they eventually got the first and then went for the pass and Dre "Pro bowl" Bly intercepted it! They show a cutscene of the QB tossing his helmet down in disgust, thats sweet.

Now, I have the ball and give it to Jones. I cut outside right and a defender came rushing towards me so I quickly cut to the left and my back sort of stumbled! What gives? I was so used to turning directions in a split second on one foot! LOVE IT. The running animations have changed from 2k4, looks a lot more natural than before...but it isn't fixed 100%. I also noticed the little red meter under my back. When a defender wrapped around him, he sort of wiggled out but then got absolutely SMASHED by another LB. Lost 3 yards that play. One thing I must say, the running game has definately gotten more challenging! The whole game as a whole has gotten more difficult.

Cut to halftime and I'm up by a FG. This is GREAT. No more snapshots of the game but actual footage! Stats are shown! They outline the key plays of the entire half! Amazing!

Well cut back to the game and Suzy Kolber talked to Steve Mariuchi and said he's not pleased by our running game. WOW.

Well we finally got in the endzone and led by 10. They got a touchdown and cut the lead to 3. BTW, the AI has gotten SMARTER. In 2k4 as soon as the 4th quarter started, they would just go for the 4th and long if they are down. This time they planned it out, sort to speak. I won with the skin of my teeth by a last second interception and killed the clock. Another great feature, you can actually spike the ball without switching ya audibles around now!

Awesome.

The post game show was killer. I was expecting the interview to be absolute ASS from what some people said, but actually it was quite amusing. I liked it a lot, they actually said relevant things to the game. Although Suzy's voice is annoying and her lip syncing sucks.

Overall, a VERY pleasant experience...but I absolutely feel like a newbie to this series. I have to get used to the new features and control.

Maybe it's just me --- but I have NEVER seen a challenge actually go AGAINST the challenger. The play is ALWAYS overturned. Every...single...time.

Other than that, it's damned solid.

-=Mike

Well, considering they screwed me seven ways to Sunday against the Seahawks...I hate the officials.

But I've had the challenger lose the challenge a few times.

Meanwhile, I managed to hold off the Eagles for home field but now I got the Packers in the first round with my NFL sack leader Calvin Pace and top corner Duane Starks out with injuries. So I may be dead.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

I won the Super Bowl with the Packers over the Colts with my top 3 CBs out

Guest MikeSC
I think I've finally figured out why I suck at running: I'm not using the right stick to juke and stutter step. I did a scrimmage to try and improve my running game, and that seems to make a HUGE difference in getting through the line and into the backfield. I guess I was just too dumb to notice it.

I've had calls stand Mike, so it must be you. The refs in your game must just be bad.

I was wondering why my refs all had canes and dark glasses...

-=Mike

Guest Big_Jay101

Earlier someone said Madden's passing is to easy and it has actually been taken care of if the safety comes down to play double coverage and I quote " Unless your Ryan Leaf and don't care who gets the ball we recommend you not throw it". So the recieving has been fixed to be more realistic.

Anyways back on topic. What improvements have been made to 2K5. I hear you go ta crib and Carmen Electra calls you and some other shit like that?

I used to be a strictly Madden player but the price of the ESPN game intrigued me so I got it and I am very satisfied with it , I find the presentation and gameplay superior and The Crib feature is actually pretty fun. I would advise any person that is skeptical to go ahead and get it.

Guest Dumb Fuck
Earlier someone said Madden's passing is to easy and it has actually been taken care of if the safety comes down to play double coverage and I quote " Unless your Ryan Leaf and don't care who gets the ball we recommend you not throw it". So the recieving has been fixed to be more realistic.

Anyways back on topic. What improvements have been made to 2K5. I hear you go ta crib and Carmen Electra calls you and some other shit like that?

And you magically know that Madden 2005 solves that problem?

Fanboy.

I experienced a bug that absolutely pissed me off.

Playing as Houston vs San Diego, my TE caught a pass just inbounds for a 2nd and 2. Chargers challenged, and the play was upheld. Which is great, except that they did it with about 10 seconds left on the play clock, and when play resumed, I started with those same 10 seconds left! Net result - delay of game, 5 yard penalty.

I also had a similar scenario vs Jersey/A, same result, but the play clock started at 25 like I'm pretty sure it should. So the moral of the story here is - check your play clock after a challenge.

do you have it set up under TV presentation? not sure if it makes a difference, but i noticed that also, the clock doesn't stop while replays and stats and what not are showing, unlike past games...

I've had challenges gone against me EVERY time.

Once my QB threw a ball to Brandon Lloyd, but it was an incomplete pass since Lloyd did not appear to maintain possession. He just TOUCHED the ball and it dropped. The referees ruled it as a fumble. Needless to say I challenged. After looking at the replay, I was EVEN more convinced I was right... well the referees apparently didn't agree with me. They stood by the ruling. Asses.

do you have it set up under TV presentation? not sure if it makes a difference, but i noticed that also, the clock doesn't stop while replays and stats and what not are showing, unlike past games...

Really? :huh: They do for me...

And you think that bug was bad...how about the game freezing with one minute left in the last quarter. :( It has to do with when you push X...before the screen with stats, and replay starts.

Made it to the Super Bowl and hot damn, ESPN has just won me forever. Unlike Madden, who did nothing to make the Super Bowl feel important (and the game ALWAYS having it raining...it never rains at the Super Bowl), ESPN made the Super Bowl feel like the Super Bowl.

Helmets for players run out of, those giant balloon guys of PATRIOTS-CARDINALS, the flyover by the jets, the MVP trophy presentation, everything made it FEEL like not just another game.

So major kudos.

Now I enter the offseason so I'll give my opinion on that after. So far, this game is perfect.

Guest acnx
Made it to the Super Bowl and hot damn, ESPN has just won me forever. Unlike Madden, who did nothing to make the Super Bowl feel important (and the game ALWAYS having it raining...it never rains at the Super Bowl), ESPN made the Super Bowl feel like the Super Bowl.

Helmets for players run out of, those giant balloon guys of PATRIOTS-CARDINALS, the flyover by the jets, the MVP trophy presentation, everything made it FEEL like not just another game.

So major kudos.

Now I enter the offseason so I'll give my opinion on that after. So far, this game is perfect.

I'm so glad to hear that! I hate Madden, and most EA games for that matter, where the big championship game just feels like another game, with a tiny celebration at the end, or little banners in the endzone and painted logos on the field. So god damn annoying.

I just played my first franchise game last night. Defensive struggle all the way through between the Lions and Bears. I was up 14-7 with two minutes left, and made a stupid fucking mistake, having Harrington throw on the run, across the field to Rogers on a third down...desperation is a bitch. Intercepted and taken in for a touchdown. With around 30 seconds left, I sent Hanson out to kick a 54 yarder into the wind, and he missed. They completed a few passes, set Edinger up for a 52 yarder, and the fucker hit it with no time left on the clock.

:throwup:

On the good side, Roy Williams had 93 yards with one TD, Rogers had 70 yards and a TD, Keven Jones ran for around 85 on 20 carries...wasn't a terrible game. If I hadn't made a few stupid ass mistakes, I would have won no problem, I love it! I could sleepwalk through Madden and win big. I also love sitting back with the QB and seeing something open up for a split second, and hesitating and fucking it all up. Or hesitating, and causing Charles Rogers to make an incredible catch in the back of the endzone. You damn right, Go Spartans!

Great game.

Guest Big_Jay101

And you magically know that Madden 2005 solves that problem?

Fanboy.

See I don't magically know this, I read it from IGN. So stop being a smartass. I'm not a fanboy, I am willing to give ESPN a chance as I have heard it is good. You didn't have to come off as a complete asshole. I was just stating that it fixed a problem, and I read it from a credible gaming source. So there was no need for you to insult or question me.

do you have it set up under TV presentation?  not sure if it makes a difference, but i noticed that also, the clock doesn't stop while replays and stats  and what not are showing, unlike past games...

Really? :huh: They do for me...

And you think that bug was bad...how about the game freezing with one minute left in the last quarter. :( It has to do with when you push X...before the screen with stats, and replay starts.

I've had something similar happen, but in Tiger Woods 2004. I'd just won a major, too...

BL: I haven't tried it in a non-TV presentation, but I think it's one of those random things that just happen, and I needed to vent.

Guest Vitamin X

If you consider that an insult, you should probably consider getting thicker skin.

Fanboy.

Guest Big_Jay101

I'm just saying i didn't do anything to deserve his critiscism, and he just did it to be an asshole, but i am no longer going to continue an internet argument, with someone who acts so juvenile and does stuff just to piss people off. And your like the little lackey who adds on Mr.X.

But anyways, is the playbook and graphics better than last year, because those were the only things I didnt like about it last year. It seems to be weel worth 20 dollars maybe 50, but what are the new feautres as I haven't read about them yet.

So major kudos.

.....the Cardinals? What, did you make some deal with the virtual devil for Fitzgerald's eternal soul or something? :D

I think I've found some good sliders: just combine the human All-Pro sliders with the CPU Legend ones (dial it down a little if it's too hard). The CPU gives you a good game most of the time.

Guest Dumb Fuck

You made a lame insult about an extra feature in the game. That's a usual fanboy response, like when someone mentions selling hotdogs in Madden.

IGN may say the gamplay is improved... but previews are practically worthless for football games, at least concerning the gameplay aspect of it. I believe every year since 2000 in previews, I've heard "You can't throw bombs all the time for TD's!" Still can do it in 2004.

So major kudos.

.....the Cardinals? What, did you make some deal with the virtual devil for Fitzgerald's eternal soul or something? :D

Please.

It was Boldin's soul. :D

If it makes you feel even more confused, my team got revenge and roughed up the Pats 40-17 in the Super Bowl. That is what they get for not handing off to Dillion who crushed me in the regular season game.

Offseason was cool enough, takes a lot of thought. Cap management is going to be tough but I think I can handle it. The draft is difficult since you really aren't given enough time to work with at the combine. Even better, the draft has a clock which you must make your pick.

In free agency, I somehow managed to piss off Jonathan Wells (needed a power back to replace Smith, who retired), since he was ready to sign then announced he disliked the team make-up and went elsewhere.

No big deal, I had three backs so it's his loss. Have fun backing up Shaun Alexander buddy.

So just out of curiousity, for those who have played both, is the full action highlights on Xbox much better than simply the stills on PS2, or what?

I'd say definetly. What's also great is that on the Gamecast for the X-Box version, you can watch a replay of anything that happened in the game.

QUOTE (Brush with Greatness @ Jul 29 2004, 07:26 PM)

So just out of curiousity, for those who have played both, is the full action highlights on Xbox much better than simply the stills on PS2, or what? 

I'd say definetly. What's also great is that on the Gamecast for the X-Box version, you can watch a replay of anything that happened in the game.

Also the fact you can make your own stadium music for when you do something good for your team the music plays in the backround.

yeah but the hard drive clears that up right? I may purchase one just for the hell of it, even though I have no interest to play FF 11...seems that more games will start to utilize the HDD functions at this point in the PS2 run...

I'm still not sure about the custom music, but you will see the full motion replays.

Something cool I forgot to mention: One of my tackles got a concussion in a game, and it was awesome how he tries to get up and the trainers telling him to sit down and relax, then see him stumble around as he walks off the field. Also, during a "catch in/out of bounds" challenge, you see the player showing his teammates on the bench how he kept his feet in bounds.

They really did their homework with these animations.

I feel incredibly guilty.

Very guilty.

I ended the career of Peyton Manning with a "one player clips his knees while the other strikes him high" sack.

Apparently they broke his back....

All I can say is, "Well golly gee, I done ended the career of Peyton Manning. Shucks!"

I feel incredibly guilty.

Very guilty.

I ended the career of Peyton Manning with a "one player clips his knees while the other strikes him high" sack.

Apparently they broke his back....

All I can say is, "Well golly gee, I done ended the career of Peyton Manning. Shucks!"

that is fucking awesome, man i need to play more, my copy is beginning to collect dust already!