TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NaturalBornThriller4:20

NBA Offseason News and Moves

The Bucks signed Maurice Williams. And that begs the question: Who the fuck is Maurice Williams?

He was a backup PG on the Jazz. Decent player, but they really didn't have any reason to keep him there behind Arroyo (who has been godly in the Olympics) and Lopez. It came down to him not getting any playing time in the upcoming season, and they let him go.

Guest Mindless_Aggression

The Bucks resigned Toni Kukoc.

Well they did and it needed to be put in this thread, dammit all.

Guest Kaspar Kucera
The Bucks resigned Toni Kukoc.

He's still around? I thought he dropped off the face of the planet after he stopped being a "random guy throw into trades for salary cap purposes." Hopefully, he'll stick around with one team for awhile.

It's going to be a disaster if Memphis trades Jason Williams away. That would be absolutely pointless. That team is one of the most promising teams in the league and this year I wouldn't be surprised if they finally stepped up and played some sold basketball.

Trading Jason Williams for generic Eddie Jones is not the answer to success for Memphis

Jerry West isn't Scott Layden, so this won't happen. They already have Posey, Miller and Wells. They don't need Jones.

Wells could still be moved for another frontcourt prescence. ESPN rumored that it'd be Curry in Chicago, packaging Swift (restricted FA) in the trade, but there's still a few more teams out there that have shown interest in Bonzi.

Memphis trading Williams would open the door for Stromille and Bonzi being moved.

I have no idea why anyone would want Eddy Curry at this point. He's a fat sack of shit that knows he can be good when in shape and yet still shows no desire to get in shape. That's the very definition of a lack of determination and will.

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks got a big man, completing an eight-player sign-and-trade deal Tuesday that will bring Erick Dampier from the Golden State Warriors.

In the deal, Dampier will receive a seven-year, $73 million contract, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher has learned.

Dallas sends Christian Laettner, Eduardo Najera, two future first-round draft picks and the draft rights to guards Luis Flores and Mladen Sekularac to the Warriors for Dampier, Dan Dickau, Evan Eschmeyer and the draft rights to Steve Logan.

The 6-foot-11 Dampier averaged career highs of 12.3 points and 12 rebounds in 74 games last season for the Warriors. He was fourth in the NBA in rebounding, and one of just nine players to average more than 10 points and 10 rebounds a game.

Dampier opted out of his contract with the Warriors in late June and became a free agent after seven seasons with Golden State.

Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks president of basketball operations, was in Greece for the Olympics and not immediately available for comment.

A call to Dampier's cell phone was not immediately returned Tuesday evening.

While Dampier gives the Mavericks a much-needed big man for coach Don Nelson, Golden State achieved some objectives as well with the trade.

"We acquired quality players who can help our team now and several prospects that bode well for our future," said Chris Mullin, the Warriors' new executive vice president of basketball operations.

Najera averaged 4.9 points and 3.9 rebounds a game in his four seasons with the Mavericks, shooting 51 percent from the field. He was limited by knee problems last season.

Laettner, a 12-year veteran, spent the last three seasons in Washington before being traded back to Dallas on draft night. He has averaged 13.3 points and 6.9 rebounds over 819 career games with Minnesota, Atlanta, Detroit, Dallas and Washington.

Flores was the 55th overall pick by Houston in the June draft, but acquired by Dallas. Sekularac, who has played professionally in Europe since 1996, was the 55th overall pick by Dallas in the 2002 draft.

Dickau was traded from Portland to Golden State last month, and Eschmeyer missed all of last season due to multiple knee operations after going from Dallas to the Warriors in another multiplayer trade last summer. Logan was a second-round pick by the Warriors two years ago.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1867027

Ah, yes. I like Damps, but no way is he worth $73 million. The Pacers could have had him for much less if Donnie Walsh wasn't such a God damn tightwad. Fuck, I can't wait until Bird takes over completely. The most he would offer apparently was Croshere + Pollard (which would have been better for GS than the skullfucking Mullin wound up taking from Cuban, but whatev). I guess JO couldn't talk him into just signing for less money.

Congrats for cashing in, Damps, but enjoy your first-round exit.

This was rumored about a week ago, but:

"But today, the Blazers have cooled considerably, to the point where their once-believed foundation of the future now is rumored in a trade sending Randolph, Derek Anderson and a 2005 draft pick to Milwaukee for Michael Redd, Desmond Mason and Marcus Haislip."

- The Oregonian

This is a stupid trade for the Bucks. The only way i'd do this trade is if they keep Desmond Mason. Michael Redd + Desmond Mason is too much.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster."

-Pioneer Press

I just lost a ton of respect for Kevin Garnett, if this story is infact true.

Here's a little something I got from a board off another board by a person who was there, supposedly, could be accurate.

"alright enough of bashing my homie!!!!! Rickert set a mean a$$ back pick on kg. kev told him not to set those type of picks then rickert came down the court and scored and started talking **** with kris humphris (who also got thrown out the gym by kev a few years ago) kg didnt respond he just put his head down and started pointing to his brain tryin to calm himself down while rickert was laughing.A couple of plays later rickert calls a phatom foul and kev didnt like that and they exchanged words (cussing), but kg gave in to my suprise and rickert got the ball. then the next play rickert hits kg in the back with another pick and as they went down court told kris humphris (i got him,i got him) and that put kg over the top he ran up on rickert and mushed him in his face then str8 up punched him he his jaw everyone grabbed kg while rickert was bend over holding his jaw."

So basically if someone makes KG look bad, KG will punch them in the face. Brilliant strategy.

The Blazers want ANOTHER two-guard?

What, did they schedule the AND-1 team as their opponents for the entire season when no one was looking?

Im not sold on Zach Randolph being the future of the franchise. He just never impressed me with his ability to take over the game. I dont think he'll be worth a large extension next summer because he keeps getting in trouble and their will be better free agents to chase.

If the Blazers add Michael Redd then they had better start trading some guards away. There arent gonna be a whole lot of minutes for anyone if Redd, Van Axel, and Stoudamire are playing a lot. Telfair, Woods, and Frahm aren't gonna ever play which is a shame because Woods was so impressive at summer league and still has lots of potential.

What's the scoop on Brewer? Is he any good? Worth the signing? Can he play basketball?

He only played in like 13 games, but he did get one start, I think. From what I saw of him, he brought a lot of hustle out and was a decent defender, but again with all the guards you guys have, he probably won't play much more there than he did here.

On the Blazers latest activity i like the resigning of Darius Miles, after getting out of Cleveland he looked to be finally realising his potential with several very good performances in the latter part of the season with most noticably a great FG%, which he can hopefully keep building on over a full season in Portland and become a big part of them returning to the playoffs, hopefully sooner rather than later.

As for the Milwaukee trade, aside from then giving Portland an excess of guards i'm leaning towards hoping it goes through. I like Randolph, but his monster numbers of early last season started to drop once Rasheed was gone and opposing teams started cracking down on him more, not to mention he's cut from the same mould as Rasheed, Bonzi, Stoudamire and friends and looks to be as much a trouble-magnet as they were. Having an all-star calibre power forward sitting on the bench also serves to make him a tad expendable. Michael Redd would give them one of the premiere outside shooters in the game and an upgrade over all of their army of guards, a lineup consisting of Stoudamire, Redd, Miles, Abdur-Rahim and Ratliff sounds pretty good to me.

That said it would leave them with little in the way of forward depth, so they would need to start trading away some guys like Van Exel since after Stoudamire and Redd few would get very much in the way of playing time, which is something guys like Woods and Telfair will need. I'd also say Randolph is better overall than Abdur-Rahim (and Randolph should really continue to get better), so i really wouldn't mind the team they'll put on the court with either Randolph or Redd in town, since Derek Anderson, while not as good as Michael Redd is no slouch either.

What I'm wondering is what the hell is Milwaukee thinking? Randolph shows a lot of promise when he stays out of trouble, but Redd is too good an outside shooter to give away.

Alonzo Mourning is gonna try to make another comeback with the Nets this year from what ESPNEWS has said.

I really hope this Randolph/Redd trade doesn't happen for the sake of Michael Redd. He's too sold of a player to warrant being shipped off to the prison of the NBA. Zach Randolph is a good player but his off court issues out weigh what he brings to the table in playing ability.

Does Abdur-Rahim still want to be traded off of Portland? If so I could see Portland trying to deal him for Redd. Still it would be bad for Redd's career to head to Portland.

As for Alonzo...I don't think its a good idea for him to try and comeback. He's not going to be that good and New Jersey has no chance at getting to the playoffs. He will be putting his physical health at risk for no reason.

Edited by Krankor