TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Review of Flair's book

Guest Anglesault
"This is my Jeff Hardy gay joke for the week?"

Ah. I don't really have Gaydar though. Gaydar implies you can find a gay guy in a crowd when their not acting all flamboyant.

Question: Either than Micheals, HHH, and Taker, does he mention any other current wrestlers? Just curious of what the opinion of an "old school" wrestler is of the current crop.

He seems to like The Rock, says Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit are great wrestlers, says Stacy Keibler is hot(..ew), Big Show is a great guy, hates Steiner as previously mentioned, says Jarrett is a shitty draw yet a good guy, and doesn't really mention Goldberg although he knows Bill's older brothers. Name some specific wrestlers and I'll try and find what he has to say. I may re-read the book.

And he loves Roddy Piper. Hilarious story about the Hot Rod impersonating Stan Hansen and giving the lariat to hotel plants in Japan.

And he loves Roddy Piper. Hilarious story about the Hot Rod impersonating Stan Hansen and giving the lariat to hotel plants in Japan.

That has the potential to be the funniest thing I have ever heard. Also, I might be the only one who liked the "Flair as President and Piper as Vice Prez" shit they did in WCW.

RPVP!

That has the potential to be the funniest thing I have ever heard.

Agreed :lol:

Though I am a big foley mark, I would tend to side with flair on the in ring work arguement. Mick wasnt the greatest technical wrestler but that was because he wasnt a great natural athelete. As he said in his book, he knows alot of hold but made more money with the hardcore stuff, so there ya go

My problem with all of this straight-hate on flair cuz he hated on mick- is that most of the wrestling fans who LOVE foley are the newer ones who came on during the whole explosion of 98. Mick was promoted as a hardcore legend hero type and the fans bought it ya know. I on the other hand have followed his career since his wcw days and looked up to him far before the other johnny come lately fans.

My point is that Mick isnt that great of a worker, his gift is in taking punishment and selling well for his opponent. His career has been more of making others look good then himself. Many have benefited from this, including Sting, Tommy Dreamer, and HHH to name a few.

However, if what mick said about flair as a booker is true, then he has every right to knock him on that aspect.

enough of this obssession with workrate, probably more than 60 percent of the people online who talk about it dont have a clue and are just copying the online journalists like Keith and Meltzer and so on.

Bret Hart was my favorite wrestler in the early 90s, do you know why? not becuase he was such a great techincal wrestler and had 5 star matches, but because he was a wait for it GOOD GUY. Back in my mark days, nothing made me happier than the faces beating the heels. Not only did Bret do this, he always showed character and never did anything bad, he was the consumate wrestling hero.

I wish I could have my markdom back .

Guest bigdiswrestling

Yeah, this book does indeed seem biased, but a good read nonetheless.

I'm interested in his opinion about the actual Screwjob as well as his matches with Steamboat. I'm also interested in reading which WCW booker he preferred: Dusty or Watts (since we know Bischoff and Russo are out)

Definitely worthy of checking out...

Mick not happy.....

Mick Foley is apparently furious over the negative comments that Ric Flair has for him in Flair's new book. Foley is also upset that WWE would allow such things to be written in an official WWE publication. Foley is said to feel betrayed by Vince McMahon and is now apparently ignoring all calls from WWE.

Credit: PWTorch.com

I guess its not just Foley marks who are getting their knickers in a twist.

Mick Foley is apparently furious over the negative comments that Ric Flair has for him in Flair's new book. Foley is also upset that WWE would allow such things to be written in an official WWE publication. Foley is said to feel betrayed by Vince McMahon and is now apparently ignoring all calls from WWE.

Credit: PWTorch.com

Had to know this was going to happen.

Guest combat_rock

Yeah, I've read that they were thinking of using the legetimite heat between the two for a feud, so this could all be a big work. Plus, I really doubt Mick would be so small as to get mad at Vince for letting Flair speak his mind, after he let Foley do the same.

Guest FrigidSoul

If anything Mick Foley should just feel furious towards Flair. How is TitanSports responsable for the opinions of one man? As an author Foley should know that it would have been published either way and this was just a bussiness decision. Foley should also realise that out of many wrestlers that have gone through the WWF/WWE Vince has had alot of respect for him, giving him creative control over his gimmiks, bringing him to the WWF when WCW called him a nothing, and for a period of almost 3 years having him in alot of the Main Event angles.

Just bussiness on the part of Vince's company, however with Flair he should be upset.

Boo-hoo.

Foley will be back when he needs money or a book plug.

Whores take plenty of abuse and always come back for more.

Of course, Flair's a huge whore himself, so whatever. Fire back, Mick.

Now this is interesting.

In "Foley Is Good", he couldn't stop praising Vince McMahon and the WWE Legal Team for letting him speak his mind in "Have a Nice Day." Even though he criticized Vince McMahon, certain WWE superstars, and many people from his past, Mick was grateful that he was still allowed to publish what he wanted. Including, of course, his negative comments about Ric Flair.

Now, curiously, the tables have been switched around and Mick is furious. Vince McMahon and the WWE Legal Team have given Ric Flair the same privileges that Foley once had. Flair is allowed to criticize certain WWE superstars and people from his past, just like Mick did. And....*GASP*....Ric has decided to criticize Foley, just as Foley decided to criticize Ric in his book a few years ago.

But....you know....it's not like I'm saying Foley is hypocritical or anything....

OK I'm guess the issue is Foley wanted to bash someone in his book and the offices told him no? Wait didn't he bash Flair? I haven't read his book in such a long time I forget but I'm pretty sure he did, I'm looking for irony here but I just can't find any.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

I think the only difference is that Foley was actually pretty fair to Flair, he gave him his due every time he bashed him for a mistake he made. Whereas Flair makes Foley out to be an insult to the business he loves, and really seemingly has no respect at all for what he was capable of ("Glorified stuntman", indeed).

Maybe Flair simply has nothing good to say about Mick as a performer. You know how "old school" he is. Remember his bullcrap over the "real names?"

Casual fans know him best for his big bumps. Mick was at the very center of when Vince put the stake into the heart of kayfabe. He even goes by his real name everywhere these days.

But....you know....it's not like I'm saying Foley is hypocritical or anything....

Nope, nope. Not Mick. :P

It doesn't matter. It's Flair's personal opinion, and he shouldn't be censored from speaking his own mind in his autobiography. I seem to remember Mick being VERY unfair - and overall just plain nasty - to Marc Mero and Sable in "Have a Nice Day."

Foley was thrilled when WWE gave him the chance to write his book without worrying about having his thoughts censored. But now that somebody else has wrote something negative about him, he's furious. What kind of twisted-up logic is that?

It doesn't matter. It's Flair's personal opinion, and he shouldn't be censored from speaking his own mind in his autobiography. I seem to remember Mick being VERY unfair - and overall just plain nasty - to Marc Mero and Sable in "Have a Nice Day."

I thought those were cut?

I lost my copy of HAND (hey...wait a minute...) so I don't recall which comments you mean. I think he said one that was kind of vague although suggestive but other than that not much.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen

Foley was thrilled when WWE gave him the chance to write his book without worrying about having his thoughts censored. But now that somebody else has wrote something negative about him, he's furious. What kind of twisted-up logic is that?

And doesn't Mick have the right to HIS opinion? Doesn't he have the right to be offended that he was unceremoniously bashed by Ric Flair (who's comments made the Cover of RAW Magazine) without being called a hypocrite, just because he didn't think Flair was a very good booker?

And doesn't Mick have the right to HIS opinion? Doesn't he have the right to be offended that he was unceremoniously bashed by Ric Flair (who's comments made the Cover of RAW Magazine) without being called a hypocrite, just because he didn't think Flair was a very good booker?

Mick certainly does have the right to his opinion. But that means he should also respect the opinions of others. And if he was pleased with Vince McMahon when Vince gave Mick the opportunity to write what was on his mind, he should be completely fine with Vince giving someone else the opportunity to write what's on their mind. To not answer phone calls from Vince just because FLAIR wrote something personally offensive about him is incredibly childish.

Like Frigid said, if Mick could be mad at anyone, it could be Flair. But even that's stretching it out a little, because Mick started the War of the Words first. Flair was upset initially to read Mick's comments, because he had always believed he was, at least, on friendly terms with Foley. I'm sure the booker criticisms that Mick had for Flair offended Ric on some level, so it's only natural that Ric will want to publicly criticize Mick as well. Foley should already know that he needs to take his lumps - JUST LIKE RIC DID - and not criticize anyone if he, himself, is not ready to receive criticism as well.

But to be furious at Vince McMahon for letting Flair speak his mind in his autobiography.....even though Vince gave Foley the OPPORTUNITY TO DO EXACTLY THE SAME.....is just mind-boggingly hypocritical.

Guest FrigidSoul

I hope you're not comparing Foley to Marc Mero and Sable. In a way it sounds like you are.

Foley won the title on Raw the night that the WWF took over in the ratings war against WCW. Before that he had been a staple in Japan, Germany, etc.

Marc Mero dressed up in Glam Rock attire for much of his career, was known as Johnny B. Badd and feuded with the fucking Z-Man. Sable was the first WWF female wrestler to do Playboy and in doing so helped kill whatever credability the division had left from the days of Alundra Blayze. From there on the division would be a sideshow just for guys to whack off at home to.

Foley has meant alot to this bussiness and Flair makes him sound like some meaningless nobody that walked in and got lucky. Also, if I recall correctly when Flair came back from the WWF part of his deal was getting booking duties and he wanted nothing to do with Foley, thus partly why Foley was shipped to ECW.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Zaz: So why's he ticked off at WWE?

Only he would know for sure, but I suspect that Foley feels he's given a lot of himself to wrestling and Ric Flair basically said he was a worthless performer who was only in the sport because he could take the big bumps in his book. This, just on the heels of having MADE one of the WWE's next big stars.

I'd say Mick has the right to be very angry. I'd say Mick even has an allowance of misdirected anger due him, and should be a little surprised that the WWE didn't ask for Flair to tone down his comments a TAD towards a guy who's known as a class act by everyone he's close to in the business.

Flair essentially went out and tore down Foley's life's in a work published, sponsered, and approved by the WWE, Mick Foley has the right to be angry at both.

Frigid, you missed my point.

Foley is upset that Ric gave him some pretty stinging criticisms in his new autobiography. Yet, a few years ago, Foley actually gave Marc Mero and Sable some pretty stinging criticisms as well in "Have a Nice Day".....but, for some reason, that was okay in his eyes. Putting professional wrestling accomplishments aside, it's still one human being insulting another human being. And if it was okay for Mick to criticize Sable and Mero publically in his book.....and if it was okay at the time for Vince to give his approval.....then it should be perfectly okay for Ric to do the same and receive the same approval from Vince.

Guest TheZsaszHorsemen
Frigid, you missed my point.

Foley is upset that Ric gave him some pretty stinging criticisms in his new autobiography. Yet, a few years ago, Foley actually gave Marc Mero and Sable some pretty stinging criticisms as well in "Have a Nice Day".....but, for some reason, that was okay in his eyes. Putting professional wrestling accomplishments aside, it's still one human being insulting another human being. And if it was okay for Mick to criticize Sable and Mero publically in his book.....and if it was okay at the time for Vince to give his approval.....then it should be perfectly okay for Ric to do the same and receive the same approval from Vince.

Foley only said he was more important to WCW and WWF than Mero was but was paid less by both organizations. It was NOT the hateful indictment of one man's entire career that Flair laid on Foley.

To put this into perspective, not even Mil Mascaras gets it as bad as Foley does in Ric's book.