TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LaParkaMarka

Anyone up for Fantasy Football?

We'll do a draft. I'd like to have it a little later than now though, maybe in mid-August. That way we can avoid some of those first round injury style picks. I'll set the tentative date as Aug 20, 6 pm EST (3 pm PST).

Also, the scoring in my league isn't completely set. I still need to set points for a bunch of extra categories, which can be seen in the first post. Suggestions are welcome.

Flik - I'm in your league as Randy Orton.

Add more points for defensive stats?

Block Field Goal = 3 points

If keep opponet under 10 points = 3 Bonus Points

I'll add those in.

EDIT: Blocked kicks already add 2 points to the defense. I'll make it three. I've found that some of the rules, even though I added them, don't seem to be on the list of rules. I have a penalty of 5 points for missed field goals under 30 yards, but it isn't in the rules that you guys can see.

People in my league, ignore the drafting position it has you in. It forces me to put you guys in a position right now, but that'll be randomly decided before the draft.

The WR/RB has been taken out of the Yahoo league and replaced with RB. Just for DA's thinking.

I'd just like to say to NoCalMike that the draft time for my league won't be changing (at least, I don't think so). You make the choices based on what you think will win the game. And injuries can happen then, or in the first game of the season.

I know there's a major difference between first game of the real season, and the pre-season, but hell. You could have drafted a sure fire starter only to have him become nothing more than a backup or being cut during the time between the pre-season and the regular season. Which would be the period when you can't have the draft. Sucks that way, but that's how it goes.

Besides, having it so early makes sure everyone's got it on their minds and it gets it out of the way quickly.

Guest Soylent Green Is People

I've signed up for the Yahoo league, maybe i'll join the other one too if i can be bothered.

I joined the Yahoo league, with the usual team name. I think 16 teams might be a bit on the heavy side, though. Most leagues run 12 teams, and 14 teams like a good max to me. Since it's a keeper league (not sure how Yahoo handles this), you want depth, and depth suffers as you add more teams.

Since I doubt I'll make the live draft, I'll have to work on some pre-rankings.

I actually kinda enjoyed the fact that we had 20 teams in the past. Makes it more interesting when we have to draft very deep into each position.

Just my 2 cents.

I joined the Yahoo league, with the usual team name.  I think 16 teams might be a bit on the heavy side, though.  Most leagues run 12 teams, and 14 teams like a good max to me.  Since it's a keeper league (not sure how Yahoo handles this), you want depth, and depth suffers as you add more teams.

I've got a bad case of insomnia lately. Anyways...

Yahoo doesn't handle Keepers, unless everyone pays for PLUS (then again, we get prizes even in Custom Leagues). I'll be handling that because after this season, it'll be a Off-Line Draft. Or at least how I'm having it planned out. We'll see what happens.

And as for the amount of teams, it actually isn't that bad. Last season every team did fairly well, all things considering and it was like a 16 team league. Hell, I drafted the absolutely shittiest team ever and ended up at 7-9, and after going 0-5 and making a sweet ass trade for a decent QB I went 7-4 (and two of those games I almost had). You don't really suffer in depth unless you draft crappy.

But this will be an interesting year, as I think (or at least would assume) most of the first, second and third rounds (possibly) will be devoted to Runningbacks and Quarterbacks, then receivers between 3-6, possibly a TE in rounds 5-7 followed by kicker and defense in 8-9. At least, that's what a smart drafter would do (you better believe I'll more or less follow that). Peyton Manning and Jamal Lewis will likely be 1-2 in the draft for this coming season. I see Holmes, Farve, Culpepper, Tomlinson, as possible 1-2s, but I think my first two guesses will be on the money.

But anyways, draft on July 17th, 5pm MDT (7pm EDT). And only 4 spots left in the Yahoo League (unless I get asked by two or four more people to join after the max slots are filled, then I will add them, but lower the bench total to compensate).

4 spots left in the Yahoo League.

Also, the penalty for 40-49 and 50+ kicks missed, have been changed from -4 and -5 to -3, as it was brought to my attention that if people don't make those kicks, it isn't fair to penalize them for it. Besides, you should get a bonus for your kicker making those kicks, and not penalized badly for someone being stupid.

Also, I'm thinking of having Passing Attempts taken out and possibly replaced with Sacks. This is due to the fact that Passing Attempts is a stupid thing to have when there is already Completions and Incompletions being taken into point scoring, and Sacks should be taken into account in the QB scoring factor. However, I'll leave that for debate.

Edit:

Oh, and would everyone like to have the draft random till like at the draft? Or do you guys want to have me pull team names out of a hat like I did for the NBA draft?

Reason I ask if we'd like to know about the order before hand, is it might help some of the people who may not make it to the Live Draft set up a decent auto-ranking that way. Not only that, it'll let us plan out ahead of time who we have in mind of drafting and when we'll make a draft pick. I think this would be a better plan then just going random.

Edited by Lightning Flik

Guest Smell the ratings!!!

I'd be cool with the Magic Draft Hat, but I have to question why we're drafting in July in the first place.

Yea July is kinda early...

(I have a wedding to be at at 5:30pm that day dammit)

I'm hardcore with fantasy football and if I have to autodraft i'm gonna be pissed off somethin' fierce.

Also, the penalty for 40-49 and 50+ kicks missed, have been changed from -4 and -5 to -3

It shouldn't exist at all. Coaches sometimes trot kickers out there at the end of the half to try a field goal there's really no chance of making. Get in there, Matt Stover, and kick that 55-yarder! No fantasy player should be penalized for this. Not everything that generates a positive stat needs a corresponding negative one. It'll be exceedingly stupid if two teams in this league have good weeks, and one wins 38-36 because of absurd points reductions.

The only things that should lose you points:

Sack (-2)

Interception (-1)

Fumble (-1)

Points allowed (varies as points get higher)

We also don't need to gain points for things like completions and attempts. QBs should gain points for rushing and passing yards, and TDs, and lose points for sacks and INTs. RBs should gain for rushing and receiving yards, and TDs, and lose for fumbles. Ditto WR and TE. Defenses should gain points for forced fumbles, sacks, INTs, and few points allowed, and lose points for allowing a lot of points. Kickers should gain points for FGs and PATs. They rarely play a big enough role in the overall fantasy football scheme to dock them points. Maybe -1 for a missed PAT, since those should be automatic, but past that, I think it's getting silly.

Basically, any owner should be able to go to NFL.com and get a decent guess of his team's points for the week. No one should need a scientific calculator and slide rule to accomplish this.

For anyone who wishes to join the Yahoo League and hasn't done so, you have to do it before 5pm MDT tomorrow (7pm EDT). So please join before tomorrow if you are thinking of it.

The draft is happening in July as I had experienced in the last few times everyone has done this sort of thing, that the draft gets neglected if put off till last minute.

Besides as I said, you can't prepare for anything, so why bother waiting it out till the end of the Pre-Season? Because who knows? Your starting QB might go down right off the bat in the season, and then, you usually are screwed because everyone's got "good" QB. This at least allows you to have a chance to make a trade for a good player who you believe you can get reasonably with what was known from last season. That and there might be a free agent who can cover your needs, but he'd only be available during the pre-season as he isn't seen as "the guy" by others.

Although, Cartman if there really is a problem, would you be able to make the following day for the draft? I have no problems with changing the draft date a little later, but as I said, I want it out of my way.

And I'll do up the Magic Draft Hat if there is more support for it. Say if I can get like six people of the league's support (currently) by tomorrow, then I'll do that. If I do the Magic Draft Hat, here's how it will go.

THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE, NOT THE REAL MAGIC DRAFT HAT RESULTS! I'M JUST SHOWING HOW THE HELL THIS WORKS!

01) Agent Bond34

02) SmootCriminal

03) *third of last four teams to join*

04) The Injuried Prone

05) *first of last four teams to join*

06) Randy Orton

07) Crimson Storm

08) Pawtucket Patriots

09) Gibbs Disciples

10) Total Burnosity

11) *fourth of last four teams to join*

12) Foreign Objects

13) *second of last four teams to join*

14) Presented by BankOne

15) Gridiron Lunatics

16) Darkside Dominators

Just for the record, I've got no idea who anyone is, except Tom's team. Anyways, we've still got four spots left for our league, and the Magic Draft Hat will also pick a spot in the draft order for those four people. However, should we get only two more people the draft will look like this.

01) Agent Bond34

02) SmootCriminal

03) The Injuried Prone

04) *first of last four teams to join*

05) Randy Orton

06) Crimson Storm

07) Pawtucket Patriots

08) Gibbs Disciples

09) Total Burnosity

10) Foreign Objects

11) *second of last four teams to join*

12) Presented by BankOne

13) Gridiron Lunatics

14) Darkside Dominators

If we get no one else? Then it'll look like this.

01) Agent Bond34

02) SmootCriminal

03) The Injuried Prone

04) Randy Orton

05) Crimson Storm

06) Pawtucket Patriots

07) Gibbs Disciples

08) Total Burnosity

09) Foreign Objects

10) Presented by BankOne

11) Gridiron Lunatics

12) Darkside Dominators

Now then, I know I could've said that, but I figured showing you guys would be easier than hearing me trying to explain it and fail miserably. That and there's no way anyone can't get it.

[The only things that should lose you points:

Sack (-2)

Interception (-1)

Fumble (-1)

Points allowed (varies as points get higher)

We also don't need to gain points for things like completions and attempts.  QBs should gain points for rushing and passing yards, and TDs, and lose points for sacks and INTs.  RBs should gain for rushing and receiving yards, and TDs, and lose for fumbles.  Ditto WR and TE.  Defenses should gain points for forced fumbles, sacks, INTs, and few points allowed, and lose points for allowing a lot of points.  Kickers should gain points for FGs and PATs.  They rarely play a big enough role in the overall fantasy football scheme to dock them points.  Maybe -1 for a missed PAT, since those should be automatic, but past that, I think it's getting silly.

Basically, any owner should be able to go to NFL.com and get a decent guess of his team's points for the week.  No one should need a scientific calculator and slide rule to accomplish this.

I was trying to keep it along the lines of what was done for last season, as that's what it was (except I believe it was -3 across the board). That's the only reason why I had put it in. Hence why it was like it the way it was.

However, if people feel like you do, then I'll change it. I'm very flexable in doing so. Just ask the NBA Fantasy people.

Edited by Lightning Flik

If I change it to the 18th, it'll be 3pm MDT (5pm EDT). That acceptable for everyone?

Now what about the Magic Draft Hat and actually knowing who drafts where instead of random till the draft? Does anyone seriously wish to do this or not? I've only gotten one person's opinion on it.

I don't think a QB should lose points for sacks as it's really hard to blame them when it's more the offensive line's fault. If a team has a horrible offensive line, why should the QB be penalized for getting sacked when he really has no control over it besides either A) Avoiding it ala Scramble which is rare unless your Michael Vick or B) Throwing a completion/incompletion prior to the sack.

Draft sounds fine and I'm cool with whatever way you do it, makes no difference to me since I'll dominate you all anyway muwahahaha :headbang:

How many players would we be keeping year to year?

Ok... So that's three people out and I still need at least half to make it fly for the Magic Draft Hat. And what about the draft time? Everyone ok with it?

Also considering everyone is wanting the scoring system simplified, consider it worked on to be done so (using what Tom said).

Keepers would be two.

Edit:

Here's the new points stats. These work for everyone?

+++

Offense

Passing

Passing Touchdowns = 6 Points

Interceptions = -2 Points

Sacks = -2 Points

10 yards = 1 Points

Rushing

Rushing Touchdowns = 6 Points

10 yards = 1 Points

Receiving

Reception Touchdowns = 6 Points

10 yards = 1 Points

Kick & Punt Returning

Return Touchdowns = 6 Points

20 yards = 1 Points

Offensive Fumble Return TD = 6 Points

Miscellaneous

Fumbles = -1 Points

+++

Kickers

Field Goals 0-19 Yards = 3 Points

Field Goals 20-29 Yards = 3 Points

Field Goals 30-39 Yards = 3 Points

Field Goals 40-49 Yards = 4 Points

Field Goals 50+ Yards = 5 Points

Field Goals Missed 0-19 Yards = 0 Points

Field Goals Missed 20-29 Yards = 0 Points

Field Goals Missed 30-39 Yards = 0 Points

Field Goals Missed 40-49 Yards = 0 Points

Field Goals Missed 50+ Yards = 0 Points

Point After Attempt Made = 0 Points

Point After Attempt Missed = 0 Points

+++

Defense

Points Allowed 0 points = 7 Points

Points Allowed 1-6 points = 4 Points

Points Allowed 7-13 points = 1 Points

Points Allowed 14-20 points = 0 Points

Points Allowed 21-27 points = -1 Points

Points Allowed 28-34 points = -4 Points

Points Allowed 35+ points = -7 Points

Sack = 2 Points

Interception = 2 Points

Fumble Recovery = 2 Points

Touchdown = + Points

Safety = 2 Points

Block Kick = Points

20 Return Yards = 1 Points

Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns = 6 Points

Edited by Lightning Flik

To help out Cartman, the draft has been changed (the one and only time) to:

Sunday, July 18th, 2004 at 2pm PDT (5pm EDT).

Ok, for some reason it is telling me 2PDT, but before it was MDT. Whatever. The time is now correct.

Edited by Lightning Flik

I have no idea what's going on with half the yahoo rankings. Some guys are ranked insanely high, some very very low. It's really bizarre. I'm used to the mock drafts over at sportingnews.com, and the drafts all seem to go the same way; it's interesting seeing people with different ideas like Flik.