• Diesel - KOTR 94
    • Owen Hart - Summer Slam 94
    • Davey Boy Smith - IYH December 95
    • Shawn Michaels - WM12
    • The Patriot - IYH Ground Zero 97
    • Shawn Michaels - Survivor Series 97
    • Bill Goldberg - Starrcade 99
    • Other

So what is the Hitmans best PPV title defense?

I would have to say his cage match with Owen, followed by his 95 defense against Davey Boy and the 92 Survivor Series match with Shawn.

I voted other because Bret/Undertaker from One Night Only is a really good match which is sadly forgotten due to it being shown in the Uk.

Edit: You should have tossed out the Goldberg match and included the Survior Series 94 match instead.

Edited by deancoles411

I voted other because Bret/Undertaker from One Night Only is a really good match which is sadly forgotten due to it being shown in the Uk.

Yeah, the original video release here in Australia didnt have that match on it, which is why I forgot about it. I havent looked into it lately to see if there is a newer version with the full show on it, because i have heard it is a great match.

I also voted Ironman. Not only do I think it's the best match up there, it is probably the most important as well. By way of this match, HBK was launched as WWF Champion (and a very good champion he was), and this also led to the problems that would lead to Bret's troubled departure from the WWF. HBK's refusal to "return the favor" from this match would eat away at Bret, hell probably to this very day.

Guest Rrrsh

Brets best 5 singles matches didnt have him as world champ...weird, huh?

Toss up between the 1992 Match with Shawn and the Cage match with Owen in 1994. The Ironman match was incredible, but it get's boring to watch repeatedly with the slow pace, unlike the other two.

I picked Owen's Cage match by the hair on its teeth, as Im a huge Owen Mark.

I could never really get into the Owen match.

What!?

It just never really did anything for me. The fact that I've grown to HATE cage matches doesn't really help any.

Guest Rrrsh
I could never really get into the Owen match.

What!?

It just never really did anything for me. The fact that I've grown to HATE cage matches doesn't really help any.

I am with you. The climbing contest just gets annoying after a while

Bret/Owen WM 10 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cage match

I voted for the cage match, but it was very close with WMXII with me. Funny thing with that match is that there was a previous cage match with Bret vs HBK which was the basic blueprint of what the SSlam one turned out to be. Lots of similar spots and the exact same ending.

Survivor Series 92 is a gem of a match that seems to go unnoticed, really, really good stuff. And the One Night Only match is pretty terrific, too. I never even knew it existed 'cause when I bought the tape it wasn't on it. Through PWI I got to know of the match and later I traded some tapes and finally got to see it.

I went Bret/Owen because, despite being nearly 40 minutes long, it really does seem to fly by, whereas the Iroman match really does feel like an hour and can be too much to watch in one sitting.

BTW, watching the Taker/Bret match from One Night Only, did anyone notice the bird flying around the ring? Where the hell did that come from?

On another ONO note, look out for the kid poking Shawn in the eye with his Bulldog figure. Classic.

I voted other.my favorite was his ironman match with ric flair from 1/9/93.awesome stuff.

Not a PPV match but no worries. :)

I've never seen it but heard it's a phenomonal match. Same with Bret/Taker from ONO.

Guest Choken One

Owen Hart. It was the Best Angle of his career as a Champion and The Match was just amazing with the sheer intensity of Bret and Owen and the drama of the family made for a superb match. It's my most watched Match of my life, Is it the BEST match? Maybe Not but it's by and far...My all time favorite match.

The Bret/Shawn 1992 Series Match absolutely SMOKES IronMan and really I wish Bret and Shawn could have had a REAL match and not that crippling gimmick match when Shawn was in his prime.

The Ironman Match is grossly over rated.

I haven't seen the ONO match to properly vote.

The DMB Match gets drastically overlooked since Bret was a complete transition champion at that point and they never will have been able to beat the 1992 Match at Slam.

Guest Ray
The Bret/Shawn 1992 Series Match absolutely SMOKES IronMan and really I wish Bret and Shawn could have had a REAL match and not that crippling gimmick match when Shawn was in his prime.

I might argue Shawn *was* in his prime in/around 1992. The good thing about his work from that period- less ego and lack of main-event status prevented the superman comebacks and other silliness which often hurt his matches in later years. He tended to work smarter and less flashy, which is good to me.

vs. Bulldog, IYH 95. FAR better than the SS 92 (Summerslam) match, because Davey works hard here and Bret blades. A better story is told and I love Bret's face-in-peril stuff. Runner-up goes to Survivor Series 92 against HBK.