TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ant_7000

The Roots

I was thinking about getting it, but I went with the remaster of Ready to Die instead. Been meaning to pick that up for a while, and this was the perfect opportunity.

I haven't heard anything advance on the Roots album, but the last few have been pretty excellent. I just hope it isn't quite as long-winded as Phrenology, which I really like but felt stumbled down the stretch.

I just saw these guys at Summerfest a couple weekends ago. Truly one of the great live acts of our generation. I will definitly be picking up the new record as well.

I hope to see them when they open for 311, and come out after Medeski, Martin and Wood on the tour this summer. I hear the Roots and MMW are great, and 311 is my favorite band, so this might be the show of the year for me, especially if i gain two new favorite bands out of it.

I was thinking about getting it, but I went with the remaster of Ready to Die instead. Been meaning to pick that up for a while, and this was the perfect opportunity.

I haven't heard anything advance on the Roots album, but the last few have been pretty excellent. I just hope it isn't quite as long-winded as Phrenology, which I really like but felt stumbled down the stretch.

Did you dl Antics yet?

'Cause you damn well better have.

Guest The Winter Of My Discontent
I hope to see them when they open for 311, and come out after Medeski, Martin and Wood on the tour this summer. I hear the Roots and MMW are great, and 311 is my favorite band, so this might be the show of the year for me, especially if i gain two new favorite bands out of it.

They went on tour with 311? Like the cheesy and excruciating rocker ska metal band? Oh man.

I was thinking about getting it, but I went with the remaster of Ready to Die instead.  Been meaning to pick that up for a while, and this was the perfect opportunity. 

I haven't heard anything advance on the Roots album, but the last few have been pretty excellent.  I just hope it isn't quite as long-winded as Phrenology, which I really like but felt stumbled down the stretch.

Did you dl Antics yet?

'Cause you damn well better have.

I almost did. Saw it on SoulSeek, but held back. Part of me just wants to wait for the official release and be surprised.

More Roots thoughts: most of the press I've seen thus far points towards it as a fairly average album, with beats surpassing lyrics. Which I thought was very odd for the Roots. Any word yet?

I've bought it yesterday and the verdict is: Its a good album, its short (12 songs) and Thought brought it with the lyrics, the production is really good too. Stand out tracks to me:

Stay Cool (nice jazz fusion)

Star

Duck Down (Hot ass beat)

Somebody got to do it

Web (best song on here lyrically)

Boom (old school break beat with Black Thought impersonating Big Daddy Kane and Kool G Rap was cool)

Instrumental solo cover off one of Prince's songs was good.

Its a definite pick up and way better than Phrenology.

I hope to see them when they open for 311, and come out after Medeski, Martin and Wood on the tour this summer.  I hear the Roots and MMW are great, and 311 is my favorite band, so this might be the show of the year for me, especially if i gain two new favorite bands out of it.

They went on tour with 311? Like the cheesy and excruciating rocker ska metal band? Oh man.

Hah, to me they're one of the best, but yeah, the same 311.

I hate it, which I'm sad to say. It's totally a holding pattern; they take the radio-friendly cues from Phrenology (which is much better than this album, as is the rest of their catalogue) but fail to write songs as engaging as "The Seed" or "Sacrifice."

^ I disagree with that, this album is better than Phrenology because it wasn't commercial except for their lead single "Don't say Nuthin" and there wasn't any radio/pop friendly filler songs like Phrenology.

With a couple of exceptions (the first track and "Web" being most notable), this is their most polished album to date. And yeah, Phrenology had some obv. grabs at commercial radio, but at least the songs were good.

On The Tipping Point, the Roots are spinning their wheels. Black Thought, in particular, fares poorly; the guy's usually one of my favorites mcs, but he's just going through the motions here.